more ยป" />

Already?

by Meghann on September 10, 2012

Okay, I was just starting to get used to the idea of pumpkin beer and pumpkin spice lattes, but Holiday cards? Already?

Screen shot 2012-09-10 at 9.34.27 AM.png

Who am I kidding.. the minute the email came in, I did a quick flip through our recent photos to see if there was anything that would work for a good Holiday card this year (hey – a good deal is a good deal). Unfortunately the best I could come up with was a group shot of Derek, Maddie, and I in our swimsuits at the beach. I’m all for beach-themed Holiday cards, but I thought it was a bit much to subject everyone to hanging photos of us in our swimsuits on their fridge or walls for the month of December.

I’m pretty sure this sale is only the first of many that Zazzle will throw out there between now and Christmas. I’m happy waiting until our annual Thanksgiving Day photo shoot to grab something a little more appropriate. ;)

I guess if you think about it, Christmas isn’t really that far away. I have a feeling October and November are really going to fly by this year (especially with wedding planning and wedding-related tasks to conquer) then December will be here and *boom* January is knocking at our door. One day at a time, right?

Christmas was the last thing on my mind when I got out of bed this morning. There was another very loud thunderstorm that disturbed our sleep in the middle of the night and reminded us that summer is still very much here. Luckily the majority of the rain had cleared out by the time I took Maddie out for our early walk, leaving behind flooded puddles and hot-muggy air.

The puddles created somewhat of an obstacle course on my 4-mile run, which I failed miserable at avoiding. I misjudged a couple of steps and ended up with soaked shoes for the majority of my run. Luckily I was wearing my ultra-light and thin Brooks PureConnects, which seemed to dry a little faster than my bulkier Glycerins. I need to remember that for any future runs I have in the rain. :)

After the run, I made a delicious bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • chia seeds
  • raisins
  • cinnamon
  • pinch of salt

on top:

• almond butter
  • fresh figs
  • granola

Those were the last of my figs. They were so sweet and tasty this morning – it was hard not to finish them off. :)

Do you send out Holiday cards? If so, are you an early bird orderer, last minute, or somewhere in the middle?

1 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

When I was shopping at Macy’s last week, I saw nutcrackers and fully decorated Christmas trees–it’s too soon! Ha. My family sometimes sends out Christmas cards, but most of the time we do “holiday letters” without a picture.

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

Haha, wow, holiday cards.

Although…holidays = gingerbread latte.

Mmm.

3 Army Amy* September 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

My husband is a big fan of holiday cards. We definitely type out a full page letter detailing what we’ve been up to all year even though most people already know.*

4 Erin September 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m so envious of your thunderstorms! I grew up on the West Coast on FL and now I live in CA where it NEVER storms. Or really rains in the summer for that matter.

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 10, 2012 at 11:39 am

lol I don’t send out cards. I definitely want to when I’m engaged and/or married, but when you’re single it would just be silly…

6 Laura September 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I haven’t sent out holiday cards in a couple years because, well, I’ve been lazy or I was single. When I did, I usually sent paper cards from hallmark since my list was relatively small. I think that I’m going to try a photo holiday card with the boyfriend this year. It will be the first couples card I’ve ever sent out. Keep an eye out for those deals on zazzle and other sites. Keep us informed!

7 Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

question – so if i buy figs at trader joes… how would i prepare them for my oatmeal? just slice em up?

8 Kimberly @ Redefining Kim September 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love Christmas cards and am always thinking of fun/cute ideas for each year’s card. I tend to order at the beginning of November and have them in the mail no later than December 5th. I blame my Type-A personality!

9 Christina September 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I quit sending cards out except to certain relatives (mostly immediate family members) and very close friends. No one else seems to appreciate it and I’m on a budget. I like the tradition of it, though, so I will never completely do away with it.

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I usually THINK I’m going to send out holiday cards and either do super late or never end up getting any because by the time I go to buy them I don’t like my options or I’m feeling too busy.

11 Annette @FitnessPerks September 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Wow, had no idea they were out with holiday cards already!

I am def a middle-to last minute holiday carder person. Hah. But, I do know who is going to be taking our (pic) shots for us this year!

12 Emily N September 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

J and I have a picture of us with mugs of tequila (yep, MUGS) and sombreros on in Mexico. I think that might just be Christmas card worthy.

13 Jennifer L September 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Christmas comes sooner every year! I worked at Macy’s for five years and if I recall correctly… the Christmas department should be up this week!

14 Kelsey September 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

We are so late we always end up doing “Happy New Years” cards!! And why not use an engagement photo for your holiday card?? You just paid to have someone take gorgeous pictures of you…put them to use!

15 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Ahh I’ve been inexplicably thinking about Christmas too lately! It’s like as soon as summer’s over, to lessen the blow I immediately start looking forward to Christmas movies and songs and shopping and decorating. My favorite holiday for sure!

16 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Definitely not a card person, but I do try to sit down and write a few personalized letters to my loved ones. No particulars, just basically letting them know how much I appreciated them throughout the year.
I can’t believe that fall is here already! I biked to work this morning (had to leave the house at 5:15) and it was only 5 celcius out (so 40ish Farenheit)!! I had to pull out the long spandex and a sweatshirt. I LOVE fall, but I wasn’t expecting it so quickly!!

17 Joy September 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm

TotaLly an early bird – I’ve already started them

18 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 10, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I’m still holding onto summer a little bit. I don’t even want to start thinking about Christmas yet!