Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup

• 3 large sweet potatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 16-oz can vegetable broth
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cups milk

Start by cooking the bacon in a large pot. Once the bacon is crispy, remove the bacon and discard about 1/2 the bacon grease. Return the pot to high heat and add the onion, sweet potato, and cauliflower. Let everything cook for a few minutes, then pour the vegetable broth, water, and milk on top. Bring to a boil, then to medium heat for 30 minutes. Once the veggies are soft, blend the soup until creamy with a hand blender.

I like to coarsely chop the bacon and add half directly to the soup and same the remaining half as a soup topper (with some ricotta cheese).

The soup was amazing. I even went back for seconds. It was just the right amount of bacon flavoring, without being too overpowering. Definitely a meal worth repeating!

Derek approved, too!

Other eats of the day:

IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

And probably my favorite part of the day… meeting baby Grayson.

Grayson was born after just 28 weeks in the womb, but don’t let his small size or early arrival fool ya – he’s a fighter! He may be little, but he’s strong and full of feisty personality. His parents (friends of mine and Derek’s) like to joke that he was just tired of everyone on the outside having too much fun without him, so he decided to join the party a little on the early side. With the way he’s going, they’re expecting him to start driving in the next month.

He truly is a little miracle. Derek and I were lucky enough to visit during “hands-on” time and were able to help change his diaper and hold him for a little bit.

264127_10151029456621481_1915892362_n.jpeg

So tiny, yet so perfect in every way.

1 Sana September 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Oh my gosh, that sweet little baby. I hope everything turns out well for the baby and family.

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm

How precious!!

3 Stephanie September 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Just wanted to send some words of encouragement to the parents of sweet little baby, Grayson. I’m really close with a family that adopted a baby girl (Corinne) that was born at 24 weeks and 6 days. She was 1 lb 15 ounces when she was born and her mom didn’t even know she was pregnant (could have been a TLC special kinda thing). Corinne had to stay in her incubator for a little while after birth, needed the help of a breathing machine for about 6 days, had to have a feeding tube and had some serious health issues that she was facing (one included a brain bleed). Allison (Corinne’s adoptive mom) went to the hospital every night to spend time with Corinne and have skin to skin contact with her (once Corinne was allowed to be out of incubator) and after 67 days in the NICU, Corinne was able to go home with a completely clean bill of health. It has been absolutely amazing to watch this little miracle baby grow up. She’s a little over 2 now and a complete joy to be around. She has the most personality of any kid that I know (not at all an exaggeration) and is so much fun. They’re continuing to monitor her eyes cause she may need glasses in the future, but other than that everything else is normal (she’s still really little tho which is actually super fun cause she’s easy to toss around and loves to be held). Treasure the times that you have with Grayson and please encourage the parents through this time. Corinne did really well for the most part, but the test days can be very emotionally draining and having a baby in the NICU is really hard in general. I will pray for Grayson’s family. Keep loving on that precious miracle baby! And remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

4 Katie September 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Did you have parental permission to post photos of their premature baby on your blog? He is still probably very much at risk, and it seems a little you would just want to be very sure you had his parents’ blessing before posting pictures.

5 AnnaLiene September 10, 2012 at 1:03 am

i’m sorry meghann but i have to agree with her. i don’t think it is very appropriate to put pictures of a premie on web when his parents are going through this very hard time. were they around when you were snapping pics in the nicu? what didi they think of that? i wish your friends and this litle boy all the best and all the health, but i just think you should think before hitting publish sometimes.

6 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

I didn’t bring my big camera to the NICU because I didn’t want to take photos out of respect for the parents. As soon I walked in, the first thing the dad said was “Darn. I was going to tell you I wasn’t going to be mad if you brought the big camera. We’ve taken some beautiful photos of him in here.” Our friend was the one who took the above photo of Derek and posted it and tagged us on Facebook before we even left the hospital. They’re very proud of their strong little boy (as they should be!) and the support they’ve felt through social media outlets since his early birth has been overwhelming. If they hadn’t shared their story, then they wouldn’t have connected with anyone else that has gone through or is going through the same thing. Connecting with those people gives them hope that their little boy will also one day be as strong as the other babies/toddlers/kids/full-grown adults that entered the world the same way.

7 Kristin September 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm

My niece was born at 26 weeks and weighed 1lb, 3 oz. She spent 20 weeks in the hospital and just came home last week! She’s doing great. I will say some prayers for sweet little Grayson to come home soon and for him to continue to be healthy.

8 Karen September 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm

My nephew was born July 12th at 29 weeks, he was 2lbs at birth. There are cerntainly challenges but he is doing very well. He’s now over 5 lbs and off of the CPAP machine. You’re very lucky to have been able to visit. I haven’t been able to meet my nephew yet because only his parents and both sets of grandparents have permission to access the NICU and see the little guy. They named him Maverik because the name is so tough, it’s fitting for him. I can’t wait to meet my nephew:)

9 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

What a beautiful name. The NICU at the hospital is a brand new unit that has separate rooms for each baby. We were actually talking to the nurse who said that the old unit (which they were still in even a year ago) was just one big room with all the babies close to each other. In that set up, visitation was limited to visiting hours only and parents only. The larger space allows for more flexibility.

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I may have to follow your advice on that soup – it sounds so tasty!

And clearly, that is so precious!

11 Robin September 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I have been reading your blog since the beginning and admire your honesty! I am de-lurking after all these years to let you know I had my little girl at 26 weeks almost 3 years ago. There is a huge difference between 26 and 28 weekers but the road in preemie hood can be long, overwhelming, scary and unknown. It seems like your friends are handling things very well and Grayson looks to be a great size! In the event your friends want to ask some questions of BTDT preemie parents, I’m happy to talk to them. I had people help me when we were in the NICU and I always look to pay it forward. Congrats to your friends!!!

12 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you, Robin. It’s amazing how supportive and generous preemie parents are, it really is all about paying it forward. :) A local preemie mom started a preemie parents’ support group in the area that I sent them information on. I think that’s been a huge help.

13 Erin September 10, 2012 at 12:16 am

Is that ice cream? or whipped pudding? or frosting?

14 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

It’s the leftover chocolate pudding a whipped frosting from Friday night’s cupcakes.

15 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 10, 2012 at 4:38 am

Loving this recipe!! I’m not a bacon-eater, but I’d gladly substitute with veggie bacon (or it looks like it would be good without too! But definitely not AS good!!). Yum!!
All the blessings in the world to the little miracle. May he gain strength from all those around him who are showering him with love.

16 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 10, 2012 at 6:21 am

What a sweet little baby! Hoping he continues to progress and lives a long and happy life.

17 Jamie September 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

I am currently 28.5 weeks pregnant so this post had me tearing up (in a good way)…it’s crazy to see a baby at this stage. I hope Grayson continues his journey to becoming a healthy and strong little boy!

18 Crissy September 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

Sending prayers and hopeful thoughts your friends’ way. It sounds like they have a lot of love and support right now, and that is so wonderful.

And how precious is that photo of your fiancé holding baby Grayson. :)

19 Victoria @ Running Peanut September 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

How scary for his parents. I’m 27.5 weeks and could not imagine going into labor now. Definitely sending lots of prayers their way.

20 Karen September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

Yumm! I can’t wait to try this recipe! Perfect for fall and football :)

21 Emily N September 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

Did you bake the sweet potatoes first? Peel them?

Thoughts and prayers for that sweet baby…

22 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

I peeled them and chopped them, but you really don’t need to peel them. I actually prefer a little skin with my soup sometimes. ;) And I didn’t bake them before hand, they went in raw and softened while simmering in the soup.

23 Laura September 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

He’s a fighter ;)
My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

24 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger September 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

your soup looks Delish!! I’m totally making that this week esp since the Philly area is FINALLY feeling like fall :)

I’m glad to see your friends have wonderful people like you and Derek to rally around them and the baby. Its amazing when people come together like that and can help families through anything! I’ll say a prayer for baby Grayson

25 Shauna@Pleasure, not Punishment September 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm

This soup looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Just 28 weeks! Such an adorable little miracle, congrats to your friends!

That soup is officially on my list, with such a simple list of ingredients how could I not try it? Looks so good!

27 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The soup looks and sounds wonderfully. Perfect comfort food for Fall. What a sweet baby. Glad he’s doing great!

28 Megan @ My Path in Motherhood September 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Praying for baby Grayson! And I pinned that soup – sounds delicious! I’m going through a bit of a sweet potato obsession right now, too bad my family isn’t on board with me!

29 Jules @ Jog on Jules September 11, 2012 at 8:23 am

What a beautiful picture of Derek and Grayson!
I can’t wait to try that soup recipe, it looks delicious :)