Showered with love

by Meghann on September 9, 2012

Surprise!

DSC02900.jpg

That’s what I heard this afternoon when I was greeted by a room full of my favorite Tampa Bay girls.

DSC02901.jpg

Sneaky! Sneaky! They got me good. :)

DSC02903.jpg

Let’s back up for a minute.

A few weeks ago, this mysterious activity appeared on my calendar for September.

Screen shot 2012-08-02 at 12.59.35 PM.png

Derek and I share calendars via gmail so he has the the power to add, remove, or edit calendar events. When I saw this random event pop up, I immediately asked him what was up. He told me not to worry about it. I dug around a little, but honestly I was too busy with other upcoming activities to worry about it.

The weeks went by and I almost forgot about the mysterious calendar addition. Then it got to be Thursday and Derek reminded me he was taking me away on Saturday. He told me to pack a bag and be prepared for a nice dinner out. I asked him what we were doing about Maddie and he told me a friend had agreed to watch her. He said he gave the friend a key so the friend could retrieve Maddie later (he never gave the friend’s name.).

This morning Derek started packing a suitcase and I followed his lead; packing running stuff, my swim suit, and a nice outfit for dinner. I was told we had to be out the door at 3:00P on the dot, which felt really late to be leaving on a trip, but I just went with the flow. When we walked out, Derek mentioned something about the Sarasota area and I joked that we were going to the Trader Joe’s that had just opened there (ha!).

We got on the interstate and started heading south towards Sarasota. Only instead of staying straight, we veered right at the downtown exit. That was strange. When I asked why we were taking the exit, he told me not worry about it. Ugh.

A few more turns and I started to recognize Mary and Marcus’ neighborhood, that’s when Derek mentioned Marcus had something he needed to borrow – a rewards card or something. Parking was limited so Derek had me get out of the car to help him parallel park in a tight spot and, since I was already out of the car, he asked if I wanted to go upstairs with him to retrieve the card.

We met Marcus at the door and followed him upstairs. We had just seen each other the night and had some good stories to tell regarding the evening. As we walked up, Derek and Marcus had the lead on the stairs, while I took up the back. They made it up first and both fell silent, that’s when I looked up and heard a big “SURPRISE” coming from the living room.

IMG_7762.jpg

It took a minute for me to figure out what was going on. There were 12 beautiful faces staring back at me, and each one belonged to a friend I love dearly. They had all gathered to throw me a surprise bridal shower party – I couldn’t believe it.

DSC02898.jpg DSC02899.jpg

All this time I thought Derek was secretly planning a trip away, when really he was working with Mary on a surprise shower.

And a surprise it was! Once I realized what was happening, I started tearing up trying to take everything in. Not only was the room filled with some of my favorite people (who had traveled from all over Tampa Bay and across the state to be there!), but also filled with beautiful snowflake and navy touches.

(All photos are courtesy of Diana or Mary – they were kind enough to snap away while my camera stayed in its bag :)

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

LOVED the snowflake mason jars. :)

IMG_7749.jpg

And an amazing spread of food.

DSC02909.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

DSC02897.jpg DSC02914.jpg DSC02893.jpg DSC02894.jpg

The buffalo chicken quinoa bites were da bomb (dot) com. ;)

Mary seriously outdid herself planning the party and opening up her home. I’m not sure  know how she managed to pull off keeping it a secret from me, or gathering everyone in one place, at the same time, but she did it and I love her to pieces for it.

DSC02917.jpg

I think the biggest shock was walking in and seeing my sister and sister-in-law in the room!

DSC02910.jpg

They drove all the way from the east coast for the party. (and didn’t give anything away – even Derek didn’t know they were going to be there!)

DSC02919.jpg

The rest of the shower was perfect. We ate, we laughed, we played games, and there were a few presents thrown in there, too. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect way to celebrate with friends.

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

DSC02916.jpg

IMG_7800.JPG IMG_7801.JPG DSC02933.jpg DSC02934.jpg

DSC02926.jpg DSC02927.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

As I sat in the room, surrounded by friends, I felt truly blessed to have all of these amazing girls in my life.

I start to tear up all over again, just thinking about all the love and effort that went into creating this special day. Thank you for the beautiful shower, but – most importantly – thank you for being my friend. I love you guys!

And, thank you, to my hubby-to-be for being in on the surprise.

IMG_7815.jpg

I still can’t believe I get to marry this guy in less than 4 month!

I am one lucky girl. ;)

1 Sana September 9, 2012 at 1:20 am

Woooah, so sweet of your friends! So no resort trip?
Sana recently posted..Boobie Contraption

2 Chuck September 9, 2012 at 1:20 am

That’s awesome Meghann! Congratulations again!
Chuck recently posted..Update from the Mile High City!

3 Carolyn September 9, 2012 at 5:53 am

Good times! Surprises are awesome, and Mary outdid herself!
Carolyn recently posted..Black Bean Burgers

4 Kathy September 9, 2012 at 6:57 am

How cute you all are….and I guess Florida girls like their dresses..too cute. ;-)

5 Grace @ Grace Dishes September 9, 2012 at 7:11 am

What a lovely surprise! Everything looks fabulous and I love how everything was coordinate without you knowing.

Congratulations (again)!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Best intentions

6 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 9, 2012 at 8:15 am

Surprise parties always make my stomach bubble with excitement — you must have been smiling all day long!!
What a fabulous day! And congrats to everyone for being able to keep it a proper secret suprise!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Saturday Snacks + Vega Bar Review

7 Hillary September 9, 2012 at 8:31 am

Adorable!
Hillary recently posted..Kitchen Lessons

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

How cute!!! What a great surprise, I can’t believe they pulled it off! Haha it’s hard to surprise me, I’m very suspicious… I’m glad you had a great afternoon with your friends and family!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Just Keep Swimming…

9 Lauren September 9, 2012 at 9:33 am

Aw, so sweet! What a beautiful shower. Congrats Meghann!
Lauren recently posted..How to Feed a Gluten-Free Dinner Guest

10 Courtney September 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

How fun!! Congrats again!!
Courtney recently posted..Presidential Fashion

11 Alexandra September 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

This was the sweetest thing ever. You’re such a lucky girl! It sounds like you had an amazing day!! Congratulations!
Alexandra recently posted..Biking the Bypass

12 Amy September 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

So sweet! It’s so hard to pull off a good surprise. I have to say that the first picture of the girls is hilarious! The first 3 are posing and the fourth is watching the game on tv! So funny! :)

13 Liza September 9, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a sweet thing for your friends to do for you! You must be a great friend :) I really enjoyed your recap but there were a few distracting grammatical errors you might want to fix. Just a heads up!

14 C September 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm

They’re really not distracting at all. Get a hobby!

15 amyt September 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

Congrats!! That was so sweet!!!

16 jane September 9, 2012 at 10:01 am

so cute!!! and i MUST know where that blue chevron dress is from. absolutely adorable. i promise not to wear it to the same party :-)

17 Theodora September 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

That’s what I want to know too!!!! #addictedtochevron
Theodora recently posted..Thoughts on the Marathon Goal Pace Run

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

Congrats! Looks like such an amazing surprise and shower! Definitely one lucky girl. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sunday Spotlight / Rockstar Sterling

19 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 9, 2012 at 10:20 am

awww this is so sweet! My friends just had a surprise engagement party for us and I didn’t even know it was coming either! Friends are the best! (:
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..#FairTime: York Fair

20 Laura September 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

YAY! I am so happy for you that the surprise getaway was such a special trick :) Looks like you were surrounded by tons of friends and family who love you. That’s the most important thing. And the best feeling ever. And way to go Derek for keeping such a big secret from Meghann for so long! :)

21 Elisabeth September 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

Congratulations, Meghann! Looks like you’ve got some great friends & family (including a super sweet soon – to – be husband :D )

22 Laura September 9, 2012 at 10:49 am
23 Katie September 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

So sweet! You have amazing friends and family. You are indeed a very lucky girl!

24 Helen September 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

What a lovely party and fab surprise! What lovely friends you have.

Any chance you (or the chef) could share the recipe for the buffalo chicken quinoa bites? Look delishhhh!

25 kirsten September 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

that’s so cute!! what great friends!!

26 Mary @foodandfunontherun September 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Soo happy we pulled it off! I was so antsy all week because I was so excited! I am so happy to have both u and Derek in our lives! :)

Oh, and the dress…. It’s from jcrew outlet. I got it for a steal! $30 :)

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

You have amazing friends, clearly! :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..My Thoughts On Jamie Eason’s Livefit Trainer.

28 Emily N September 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I am really glad your friends and sisters were able to surprise you like that! Pretty exciting stuff!
Emily N recently posted..Columbus Marathon: Week 12

29 cathy@1970kikiproject September 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm

so so fun that you were totally surprised!! i love this story! very cool how everyone kept the secret!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..kikiproject update: eight is great!

30 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm

That is the cutest bridal shower ever! I tried to throw a surprise one for my sister last month, but one of the bridesmaids gave it away! She was still surprised at everything we did..so I guess it was sort of a success. But that’s too fun! Congrats!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..30 Minute Elliptical HIIT Workout

31 ash bear September 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I am so sad I wasn’t there but it looks like it was fabulous! SO fun! I love the mason jars too!!
ash bear recently posted..Barilla Microwaveable Meals

32 Meghan September 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Soo sweet of your friends/family~ those mason jars were such a great idea!!!
Meghan recently posted..How to cut a mango!

33 Steph @ 321delish September 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’m so glad we were able to keep it a secret! We had such a great time! And kudos to Mary, the planner extraordinaire!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Deferred

34 Ally September 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm

aww- what happened to your leg?

35 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:36 am

I had a fight with my razor and the razor won. This is what happens when you try shaving your legs after running 8 miles.

36 Lee September 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm

That’s awesome! Glad you enjoyed it.
Lee recently posted..River Rats

37 Julie September 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Aww this is so sweet!! Looks like so much fun! I love those mason jar cups with the striped straws!! Adorable!
Julie recently posted..Friday Night Shenanigans

38 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard/read about. What a sweet thing for your friends to do. :)
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..A good day

39 jaclyn @ justjac September 10, 2012 at 1:17 am

ahhhh, awesome!!! looks like such a fun and SUCCESSFUL surprise!! love it :) I’m curious- those collages look super cute, what is the idea or story behind them?!! DO TELL!! :D

40 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

There is a fun story behind them, I was going to write about the game on the wedding page this week. :)

41 Julie @ runninginaskirt.com September 10, 2012 at 8:10 am

This really made me smile! It’s already such a sweet gesture to throw a shower but going to the extra effort to make it a surprise? So fantastic :-) Congratulations :-)
Julie @ runninginaskirt.com recently posted..10 Tips For Healthy & Injury Free Running

42 Melissa September 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

Ah Megs , what a great surprise! I’m so eexcited for your wedding! And coming back to Florida for it! Yay!
Melissa recently posted..Closer and Closer

43 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yay! I’m excited too!!! :)

44 Carolyn September 10, 2012 at 9:15 am

What a great surprise!

And are you friends with Wannabe Athlete (Callie) and I totally missed that?! Or does she have a clone/do I need glasses?
Carolyn recently posted..Race Recap: Disneyland Half Marathon

45 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yes, Callie and I are friends. She was one of the first friend’s I made when I moved to Tampa a little over a year ago, I’m just sad that she moved to Venice a couple of months ago. We miss having her around!

46 Samantha Angela September 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Aww, that was really sweet of your friend to throw you a surprise shower!
Samantha Angela recently posted..Detroit Lions Home Opener