Churro Cupcakes

by Meghann on September 8, 2012

So what dessert does one make for a Mexican fiesta?

Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes <– That’s what. πŸ˜‰

Many thanks to @twoeatsphilly for tweeting Love & Olive Oil’s recipe my way. I’m usually not much of a baker, but I decided to dive head first into this one. I’ve learned the trick when it comes to me and baking is to do everything EXACTLY as the recipe states – no short-cuts, no substitutions, and no “fat-free” when it states whole or real butter.

IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

The Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes recipe was made up of three parts: the cinnamon cupcakes, the Mexican chocolate pudding filling, and the chocolate whipped cream frosting. The dozen cupcakes took me roughly 2 hours to prep, bake, and assemble from start to finish. I kept waiting to make a grave error (even making sure I had double of all the ingredients on hand just in case), but the recipe was very well written and fairly simple to follow.

The “Mexican chocolate pudding filling” portion was pudding made completely from scratch. Pudding is one of those things that so commonly comes from a box, that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it made from scratch before or had any clue on how it was done. If I was going to fail at any portion of the recipe, I figured this would be it, but as I kept whisking the ingredients together in my homemade double boiler (and the contents started to take on a pudding-like texture) I actually started to get giddy that I had done it. I even called my dad while the pudding was cooling in the fridge to talk about my accomplishment (we call each other when ever we discover or achieve something new in the kitchen).

The icing was very light and fluffy. I’ve never worked with a whipped icing before and found it a little easier to decorate the cupcakes with. It came out of the pastry bag effortlessly and, though the final product wasn’t perfect, it definitely looked better than cupcakes I’ve iced in the past.

Here’s the link to the Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes recipe. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a go.

The cupcakes were the perfect sweet-ending to the delicious Mexican spread Courtney had prepared for the XP gang.

An amazing salad, homemade salsa and guacamole, chicken enchiladas, black beans and rice, plantains, steak tacos, etc. etc. The feast was unreal; some of the best Mexican food I’ve had in a while. The best part is Courtney made everything from scratch (minus the tortillas), she really outdid herself with this spread. Yum!

My plate was paired with a glass of Jess’s famous sangria. It’s gotten to the point where she’s not allowed to show up at a gathering without it. πŸ˜‰

We also busted out some margaritas.

And then I’m not sure what happened…

IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0580.jpg IMG_0576.JPG

Good times!

(p.s. the cupcakes were good! they really did taste like a chocolate churro. :) )

The XP gang and I spend so much time together in the pool, on our bikes, or in our running shoes, that it was fun to kick back and just have an evening of eating, drinking, and singing along to the most embarrassing songs we could find on each other’s ipods (bonus points that we all knew all the words to old school country hits – I knew I loved this group!)

Group hugs – all around! :)

Derek and I got back pretty late; I went straight to bed. I knew I had my long run in the morning and sleeping in was not going to be an option in this heat. I ended up doing 8.5 miles (not quite able to push myself to an even 9), but I’m happy with that. Still a little bit farther than I ran last week and I didn’t kill myself in the heat – score!

Derek made french toast for breakfast and I made the nectarine fruit topping (nectarine + syrup + 2 minutes in the microwave).

It was just what I needed after my run.

No I’m off to figure out what this means.

Screen shot 2012-08-02 at 12.59.35 PM.png

Yep, still on my calendar. I’ve been told to pack a bag and Maddie will be taken care of. Hmmm…. I wonder where we’re going?!

1 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

You’ve been tackling some very daunting recipes lately!! Kudos and congrats! Glad they’re turning out well! They really do sound awesome!! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..12 Miles and 12 Thank You’s

2 Erin September 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

cute outfit! :)

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 8, 2012 at 11:44 am

Have fun today! And that party looks like a blast, Mexican is the best theme for food and drinks!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Ninja Belt

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

Very impressive, girl! I love baking, but I still have not perfected the frosting of the cupcakes … I just can’t get a darn pastry bag to work with me!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A pre-birthday weekend celebration.

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Oh my goodness these cupcakes look amazing!! Love them!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Tip Top Shape Is Moving!

6 ash bear September 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

These cupcakes look delicious, your pictures are great, the night looks like it was so much fun, and I love these pictures!

PS Old school country is the best!
ash bear recently posted..Goofy Challenge

7 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm

those cupcakes look really good despite the fact that i’m not a huge fan of chocolate+cinnamon together!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Bangs! {& Homemade Vitality Bowl Recipe}

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Enjoy your surprise getaway!

And those cupcakes look amazing – glad you had a good time!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A Month In Photos

9 Annette @FitnessPerks September 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

WOW-those sound amazing! I like your outfit too-btw :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Six Star Sporty Like Me SweepStakes

10 Laura September 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Hope you have a wonderful surprise ahead of you! Enjoy every second. Post about it soon :)
Laura recently posted..Sick as a dog

11 Sarah September 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

The cupcakes look amazing. I am going to have to make them – I can never get enough cinnamon!
Sarah recently posted..Sweet Tooth Saturday – Peanut Butter Oatmeal Triple Chip Cookies

12 Deniz September 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Wow! Those cupcakes look amazing! Great job!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 8, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’m impressed that you managed to pull off homemade pudding on your first try! I’ve tried it a few times, but it usually ends up too thin.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Reconnected.

14 Laura September 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Those cupcakes have been on my (very long) list of things to bake. So glad to see a review of them!

That’s the thing about baking – substitutions REALLY affect the results because so much chemistry is involved. Changing one thing can really affect the taste, moistness or how much something rises. Until you really know why an ingredient is there and how to adjust for a substitution you’re making, it’s better to stick to the recipe – especially the first time around.

15 emily September 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Those look beautiful!
emily recently posted..Rocking Around The Clock

16 Laura September 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Those cupcakes look awesome!
P.S.I love your shirt where did you get it?

17 Meghann September 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

The shirt is from the Loft. Love it – so comfy!

18 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

These cupcakes look so pretty! And such a creative taste combination….you say you’re not much of a baker? You’d never guess that by looking at these babies!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..30 Minute Elliptical HIIT Workout

19 Mckenna September 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’ve been reading for a very long time and have only commented a few times – but I just have to say, you’re hair is GORGEOUS! I can’t believe how fast it seems to grow! Lucky Girl! πŸ˜‰

Looked like a fun day – thank you for sharing

20 Mckenna September 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

21 brianne September 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Those cupcakes look phenomenal!! The minute I saw the title I thought of too, I don’t know her personally, but after following for the past few years I have a feeling she would love them!