Death by swim practice

by Meghann on September 7, 2012

It’s official – our swim coach is trying to kill us.

Alright, that’s a stretch.

He’s not trying to kill us, per se, but he’s definitely trying to make us stronger swimmers, which requires a little a little pain along the way.

20120907_073058.jpg

When we arrived at the pool this morning, I’m not sure any of us realized how much we were still recovering from Wednesday’s 4×100′s workout. We all got in for our 400 warm-up and were lightly complaining of sore arms and muscles. Those 4×100′s were definitely biting us in the butt. I believe it was Mary who said that hopefully Felipe would take it easy on us since we worked so hard on Wednesday. Famous last words, right?

We started with the warm-up, followed by 4 x 50 fist drills, and then the fun really began.

“50′s on 1:00 – go!”

Do you know what’s the worst part when he yells things like that? You don’t know how many there will be. Could be anywhere between 4 and 50. You just have to keep going and hope the next set is the last.

I was averaging 00:50 per 50 for the first 4 50′s, then my body started to slow down. My form wasn’t anywhere near where it should be and I knew I needed a break. We were told to sit out a set if we couldn’t make the interval, so the first time I came back at 1:00, I sat out. After I rested, I joined back with the team and finished the remaining sets.

10 50′s (or 8 in my case) were done. Awesome. We did a slow recovery 50, then coach told us to prepare for our next set of 50′s. Wait – there’s more?

This time he dropped it to 8 x 50. I did the first 4, sat out and rested when I didn’t make the interval, then finished the sets with my team.

Another easy 50, followed by 6 x 50 on 1:00.

One more easy 50, with the finale of 4 x 50 on 1:00.

Something happened in the last set of 50′s. I think my legs were bending too much when I was kicking and I over extended my knee or something because I had an odd pain in my knee during the last 25 meters of the second 50. I got out and rubbed the spot that felt off and the pain when away. It wasn’t a sharp pain, more like a spasm. After a few minutes, I tested it back in the water and everything seemed fine. Leave it to a runner to somehow hurt her knee in the water – wasn’t even sure that was possible!

I was panting and exhausted at the end of the workout, but really proud of myself. Sure, I did have to sit out a few 50′s, but the fact that I averaged more intervals on than off, was a huge achievement.

I even got my first “well, done” message from my coach via Facebook.

Screen shot 2012-09-07 at 9.58.09 AM.png

You better believe I took a screen shot of that sucker! ;)

Here’s what the final workout looked like:

Screen shot 2012-09-07 at 10.02.50 AM.png

Please note that I sat out of the 6 50′s. I’m guessing I did 1900 meters.

After the workout, I couldn’t wait to eat at home.

A juicy nectarine, scrambled eggs with spinach, and a piece of toast with strawberry jam – perfection.

Now my body is good and tired, while my mind is ready to take on the day. What an awesome way to kick off the morning. :)

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

Dang! That sounds completely exhausting – get yourself some rest!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Yogi of the Month!

2 Rae September 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

This might be a silly question, but if they were 50 on 1:00, wouldnt you aim for 1:00 instead of :50? It would seem you could get more in that way. Thats what my workouts do….. 4 x 50 @ 1:00, 4 x 50 @ :50, etc. Just wondering if maybe that would help you feel less tired and not compromise your form!
Rae recently posted..Random Dithering

3 Meghann September 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

The interval was at 1:00, so the faster I finished the 50, the more time I had to rest. We left for the next 50 every minute, on the minute. Let’s say I finished in 50 – I get 10 seconds of rest before the next 50 starts. Does that make sense?

4 rae September 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

That makes sense! Usually my workouts set a time with specified rest like 50 sec 100 yes with 15 sec rest. It would make sense to go faster in your case though….but also wipe you out sooner!

5 Ebernst September 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

Welcome to the world of swimming! Every year during winter break we would have the dreaded 100×50 day usually on :55 or :50. I never wanted to do another 50 ever again after that day of swim practice! This probably why I’m avoiding joining a master’s swim team…horrific memories of high school swim season!

6 Annette @FitnessPerks September 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

That does sound like exhausting fun!! My kind of action in the pool! NICE work :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Food Thoughts on a Friday

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m buying goggles TODAY! I need something to do while my IT band heals…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Ninja Belt

8 Amy September 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

That sounds tough! I’m always looking for workouts ideas for when I swim laps on my own. I was wondering if you pool switches from yards to meters? On Wednesday’s post you said the workout was in yards, and here you say meters – just wondering so I can figure out the right intervals for myself!

9 Meghann September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

This is when swimming gets kind of confusing. For our morning practices, the pool is set up in “long course” style, which means it’s 50 meters across. For our afternoon practice, the pool is “short course” so it’s only 25 yards across. Why they have it marked in meters for long course and yards for short course, I have no idea, but that’s how it is.

10 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

reading your posts about swim workouts always makes me want to go for a swim! unfortunately i’m terrible at doing swim workouts and end up just swimming laps for half an hour before getting bored. something to work on!

11 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

After that, I would have needed re-fueling via IV!! Holy insane, Batman! I never ceased to be amazed at your swim workouts … I know that it took a lot of building to get the “mileage” up there — but they’re incredibly impressive nonetheless. :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Friday Favourites — A week of little sleep and many comforts

12 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Oh girl I feel for ya. Those post gave me chills! I shudder every time I think about the ridiculously hard swim practices I endured when I was younger! And unlucky for me, IM was my best event so when we did “specialty” training (which was usually something like 10×200 for time, no rest), I just about passed OUT! Great job though—I would be so out of shape if I attempted your practices now!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..So Long, Summer

13 Mary @ food and fun on the run September 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Haha, famous last words is right! That was a really tough workout, especially after Wednesday night’s practice. I can definitely see that we are making improvements though! Little by little, swimming will get better :)
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The Mental Challenge in Exercise