Wedding: Our Budget

by Meghann on September 6, 2012

I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen this.

Average Wedding Cost.jpeg

I’m also pretty sure it’s something the wedding industry threw together to scare us into thinking we’re getting a good deal on overpriced wedding cake. I’m calling BS. I mean, I guess I have to, because $27,000 is no where near my budget – that’s more than double it!

WEdding-Budget-Planning.jpeg

Our final wedding budget was a collaboration between my parents, Derek, and me. I had the good fortune to help my sister and sister-in-law plan their weddings, so I had an idea going in how much everything costs in the wedding industry in our area. Based on all of that, I was able to come up with a tangible budget that I knew would work for us. After my parents had “the budget talk” with Derek and I, they gave us a generous number and we decided to fill in the rest. We’re basically split at a 2/3 and 1/3 ratio. My parents are covering 2/3s of the budget, while Derek and I are paying for the remaining 1/3.

Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 1.13.10 PM.png

Our budget includes everything but our rings and the rehearsal dinner. That means we’ve budgeted in our honeymoon, the wedding decorations, venue, catering, reception, etc. etc. We opted not to include our rings because we are each paying for those out of our own pockets. Derek did pay for my engagement ring, but I paid for my own wedding band and he will be paying for his own. We picked up this little trick from a friend. That way we could really each pick out what we really wanted and wouldn’t feel bad about having the other person cover the potential high price tag. This approach might not work for everyone, but we’re fans of it. To each their own.

The rehearsal dinner is being covered by Derek’s parents. The truth is I haven’t really been involved with the planning process (or budgeting) of it, so I’m keeping that as a completely separate line item. I might add it in later on, once I have more details, but right now it’s easier just to keep it separated.

Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 12.10.45 PM.png

Do you like my fancy spreadsheet? πŸ˜‰

I downloaded several budget spreadsheets that were a a little more in-depth, but the truth is I found my simple, basic approach was more my speed. The crazier ones were just a bit too crazy for my taste. Mine just lists the budget for everything and what we’ve spent so far. It really doesn’t get easier than that.

Where did I get the majority of my budget numbers? Research and some takeaways here and there from my sister and sister-in-law. It actually helps knowing what they paid for things so I could get a better grasp on where to start. Since all three of us had roughly the same budget going into our weddings, that means we all have roughly the same price points for everything in them.

Something big I picked up on was that getting married in Orlando (where I had originally wanted) was not going to be very budget friendly. For some reason everything jumps about 10 times in price the closer you move in the Orlando city limits. Venues are pricier, food is pricier, DJs are pricier, and anything else you can think of is just plain higher. That’s one of the big reasons we ended up choosing the venue we did in my small town. Getting married in a small town is so much cheaper than getting married in the city. It’s crazy how much cheaper it really is.

We’re also saving money in a few other ways, like hiring my extremely talented cousin as our photographer (we’re paying about 1/2 of what we would have paid for an equally-as-talented Orlando-based photographer), having my uncle and grandmother make our cake (we’re still paying for the supplies), doing our own flowers (with the help of my aunt!), buying suits instead of renting tuxes, stocking the bar ourselves and hiring two bartenders, and DIY-ing as much as we possibly can along the way.

Screen shot 2012-08-15 at 1.33.40 PM.png

Right now the highest price points for our budget included catering for the reception, venue, and photographer. Everything else adds up, but doesn’t go over a certain percentage of the budget. We also gave ourselves a good amount of wiggle room “just in case.” There’s about 15% of the overall budget that isn’t accounted for yet, but is there in case we need it.

We’re throwing a simple wedding for roughly 150 of our closest friends and family. We could easily throw a more extravagant wedding for less people on the same budget, but we don’t want that. We would rather have as many friends and family there as possible, and go simple, because – to us – the wedding is about celebrating with our loved ones, it’s not about how fancy the cake was or how expensive my dress was.

Did you stick to your wedding budget? Any tips for keeping costs low?

1 Julie September 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That is a really neat idea about the rings! Regarding the cost, I think it really depends on where you live, etc. Our budget is ending up being very close to the figure described in the image above, and we are doing the cheaper options. We live right outside DC, and everyone I’ve talked to in this area thinks it is extremely expensive, and it’s hard to find low prices unless you are doing the wedding at your home. We did consider some other areas that are further from us, but by the time you add in hotels, travel, etc, it didn’t really save much money in the end. It’s nice that your area seems to have lower prices!!! πŸ™‚

2 Mary @ food and fun on the run September 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

We went a little bit over our budget, but we completely expected to. We would have been completely fine, except for the alcohol. We went over our minimum in the first 1.5 hours of the reception. You are so smart to go to a place where you can bring your own booze. That is definitely the most expensive part.
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Upcoming Races and Running Zooma!

3 Katy September 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm

You are VERY lucky that your parents are helping pay for the wedding! Neither my parents nor my fiance’s have any intention of helping out at all. That’s why we’ve been engaged for two years and have yet to set a date, choose a venue, or anything. We’re trying so hard to get out of debt and save money so that we can elope (which is way cheaper than a big wedding which is out of the question). It’s very frustrating and depressing at times (especially when I see so many people I know get engaged and married in the span of our engagement), but it will all be worth it in the end.

4 Erica September 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Same! Exactly the same. We’ve been engaged almost two years and our families aren’t helping with the costs. We’re trying to get out of debt before planning it. Now we’re thinking about just eloping and throwing a party later when we can afford it.

I’m 28 and he’s 30. We’re ready to do this thing! We’d also like to get it done before he starts his PhD program next year…
Erica recently posted..Shoes and Goals

5 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

My husband and I took off to Vegas to get married(best wedding EVER in my opinion) with a group of our friends and payed for all of it ourselves. I know that tradition states the brides parents pay for the wedding but our family simply did not have the money and I would never have asked them to go into debt to cover it. Honestly, big weddings are beautiful but they are more for show than anything else. There is just as much love in a small wedding or eloping than there is in a $30K wedding. While your wedding day is a wonderful moment to look back on, it really is just a moment….it is all the years after that really matter!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..My Fall Bucket List

6 Amy September 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

That’s what my boyfriend and I plan to do. We’ll be paying for our wedding ourselves and it just makes sense for us to basically elope with a few family members and friends. We’d rather spend the money on our honeymoon and the down payment on a condo.

7 Erica September 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Vegas sounds really good right about now. We’ve also considered getting married at the Maryland Renaissance Festival haha
Erica recently posted..Doggie 5k Training

8 melissa September 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I look to you as a huge role model for having what looks like an AMAZING wedding on a reasonable budget. I am not sure if that number is totally BS though. I guess it depends how they get the numbers, if people are surveyed then it’s really only those who respond. But I’ve been to 12 weddings this year and 2 of them were 4 times that, so I guess the outliers throw the average off a bit.
melissa recently posted..Fitness Classes I Want to Try This Fall

9 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’m not saying all the numbers are BS. I’m just calling BS that we *have* to spend that much. Also, I’m getting married in Florida in a barn, it’s about as low key of a wedding as you can get. πŸ™‚

10 melissa September 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Oh, I gotcha! You are so wise! But seriously, your wedding looks fabulous so far. Thanks for sharing, I love reading all the details!
melissa recently posted..Fitness Classes I Want to Try This Fall

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Haha I looooove making spreadsheets! And I’m sure that image is also averaged between inexpensive places to have weddings versus expensive places, like big cities. I can’t even imagine a wedding in New York!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Comment on Thursday Thoughts by Katie

12 Dori September 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, a wedding in New York. Even in an outer borough and fewer people, mine will be a LOT more expensive than Meghann’s just because this is where I live…
Dori recently posted..What I Did On My Summer Vacation

13 Melissa September 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

A lot is an understatement for New York, I got married this past May and lets just say that the numbers from the average are a bit of a joke when having a wedding here. Good luck in all of your planning – both to Meghann and Dori (p.s. Dori if you want any advice for a NYC let me know!).

14 Sabrina September 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I’m actually shocked that you will be able to have a dinner reception for less than half the national average. SHOCKED.

I know I had an exceptionally large wedding but DAYUMMMM you are getting lucky in Florida.

We didn’t even have a cake because it would have cost us over $1,000 alone.
Sabrina recently posted..Raffi’s 11 month update

15 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Remember my wedding is relatively low key and will take place in a barn. You’ll see once you get there that it’s not fancy by any means. πŸ™‚

16 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride September 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wow you guys are doing amazing with your budget!

We are trying SO hard to keep costs low but honestly…our venue (which includes food, open bar, saturday night flexible hours) ended up being a HUGE chunk of change.

If we could do it all over again we would have picked off season for the venue (our wedding is December 1st but off season there is Jan-April) where the prices would have been literally cut in half. Why didn’t we think of that before?! But we are saving on not having flowers (my Dad is making snowflake lanterns for each table and my Mom made ornament bouquets for the church), and not having a JP (my Step-Dad became a JP for the day). The little things do really add up!

17 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

The venue is DEFINITELY the most expensive part. We’re getting married off season, which isn’t really saving us money, but it does mean we can pick and choose more of what we want since the dates for vendors aren’t filling up as quickly as they would in season.

18 abbi September 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

It’s amazing to me how much some people will spend on a wedding. Our wedding was very small, intimate getaway beach wedding but we still had nice touches and I loved everything about it. I think setting realistic budget of what works for you and staying within it is the most practical way to approach it!
abbi recently posted..August Recap

19 Em September 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm

We didn’t exactly have a budget, but we planned to spend as little as possible since we were paying for everything. Afterwards, my parents ended up giving us a bit of money to cover most of our food (less than $1000) and paid for our cake (a basic sheet cake). We also didn’t want any kind of fanfare.
We found a place we could rent that had chairs and tables included and we could bring in our own alcohol. Overall (my dress and his suit (our largest expense) and his ring included) we spent under $4000.
I know that isn’t typical though. We also didn’t have to pay for an officiant, ceremony location, or photographer (our good friend offered her service as a wedding gift).

20 Christine September 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I loved planning my wedding and I love hearing about yours. It reminds me of planning our own big day. To save money, we didn’t have a DJ. Instead we asked one of my cousins to man the iPod and made sure it was stocked with the music we wanted. Then when it came time for the reception, we hooked the iPod up to the venue’s sound system and danced the night away.

21 Kristina September 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I love hearing about your wedding updates and find it fascinating about people’s perceptions of weddings, costs, etc. I saw the same thing on pinterest and thought how cheap! I am nowhere close to getting married but of the last few friends/family weddings I’ve been to (in north/central jersey and nyc), I’m pretty sure they are up in the 80s-90s. I’m in a bridal party where the cost per head is $250! I, on the other hand, will be paying for my own wedding… so I love hearing about budgeting ideas and the fact you can have such a great event and not have it be extravagant.

22 Sara September 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I LOVE the idea of buying your own rings and am going to propose that to my fiance tonight. That’s a great way to cut some $ out of our budget!

We’re paying all on our own and went off season (first weekend in May) to save a lot of money on the reception. In upstate NY the weather in May is sooo iffy (it’s snowed on Mother’s Day many years while I was growing up) and I’d like to get married outside, but we managed to find a place with a beautiful indoor option in case we can’t do it. The rest of our budget just seems to be little things that add up fast.

I love reading all of these posts, especially since I’m currently planning my wedding!

23 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution September 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

My wedding has the smallest shoestring budget. Like, take that “average wedding cost graphic”, cut it in half. Then in half again. Ok, one more time, then you’ve got my budget! But you are SO RIGHT about how much cheaper it is in a small town. I live in a very small town, and I was able to find an adorable little venue for less than $200 through our local Park Board. I’m doing all the decorations myself (I’m crafty, and that’s something I enjoy). My theme is “DIY” — haha! Luckily, my parents agreed to pay for the most expensive thing — catering! Hopefully we can fit it all in our budget. Actually, I’m confident that we can!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..I know how to do this!

24 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’m with ya, girl! We spent less than $3k including honeymoon πŸ˜€ No one at our wedding guessed it, either πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Mileage adjustment.

25 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution September 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I would LOVE to hear how you did it! I’m in the early stages so any tips are helpful. I’ll email you πŸ™‚
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..I know how to do this!

26 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Please do! I’d be glad to share any tips I can!!

khiguchi at gmail dot com
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Mileage adjustment.

27 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect September 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Our wedding is in a little over 2 years from now and at this point we aren’t sure what we want to do. All of the venues we LOVE are pricey so we are looking into alternatives. So far we are planning on having 150 people (max) and want somewhere historic to have the ceremony and reception. At this point I’ve already purchased a few things, including my wedding band (my ring is 1950’s vintage and the band matched so I couldn’t not buy it). My plan is to space out the purchases over the next two years to give us time to save up for the wedding we want to have. Thanks for all of the insight into wedding planning, it has been really helpful!
Leanne @ The Skinny Architect recently posted..All this energy callin’ me

28 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Great post! The budget was something I am extremely proud about regarding our wedding planning – we saved so much that we were able to spend extra on our Honeymoon πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Mileage adjustment.

29 Liz September 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I think that the most important part about wedding budgets is that they are responsible and reasonable – no matter what the actual number is. If you have $50,000 to spend on a wedding without going into debt or hurting your financial future, I say go for it. If you are super crafty and DIY and only want to spend $3,000 on your wedding, more power to you. As long as you’re not jeopardizing the future of your brand new marriage, I don’t think the actual number matters so much.
Liz recently posted..Owning Up to Failure

30 Gavi September 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm

We just got married in Sonoma, California and we actually came in almost $2,000 UNDER budget. We negotiated with all of our vendors (if you don’t ask, the answer is no!) and always kept in mind our priorities for the weekend when making decisions. The “it’s just one day” rhetoric with expensive items can go one of two ways: it’s just one day so you should splurge on everything, or it’s just one day so it’s not really worth money that you don’t have. We were very careful about when we splurged on things and when we didn’t, and we constantly edited our budget to make sure that we weren’t overspending. Ultimately, wedding planning–and budgeting in particular–was an incredible learning experience and it allowed us to have open, honest conversations that really strengthened our relationship.

31 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Totally agree with you. The budgeting conversations for the wedding translate to budgeting conversations for our future, which lead to honest, open conversations.

32 Liz Connolly September 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

just remember what matters, the dress, the cake, the decor will be gone after the wedding but the relationship is what remains

33 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Very true! Which is why I’m ok not spending my life savings on a wedding. πŸ™‚

34 BroccoliHut September 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I was lucky enough to have two older sisters who got married before me, so my mom was very familiar with how much vendors in our area charge. I am also fortunate enough to have my parents pay for almost all of our wedding, except for the rings, the honeymoon, and the rehearsal dinner. I am still a bargain hunter at heart so I’ve been pretty good at staying well within the budget. The one exception to that is the food–the catering cost is relatively high, but that’s kind of expected with a foodie like me πŸ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: the Rings

35 Allison September 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Why are you including the grooms suits? Aren’t they paying for those themselves?

My husband and I got married in Charlottesville rather than DC because it was probably 1/4 the price and much more beautiful for what we could afford.

36 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

the groom is paying for his own suit, but you’re right, the groomsmen are paying for their own suits.

37 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’m not married, or anywhere close to getting married, but I LOVED this post. It’s definitely going to be sticking with me for a LONG time. It’s such a level-headed and practical way of approaching everything. (But from reading your blog, I can tell that this is really just how you are in general!) I never knew about the within vs. outside city limits money issue — definitely a great thing to keep in mind. πŸ™‚
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Thursday Thoughts … Middle of the Night

38 Susie September 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I got married in Boston this year. Our venue alone (including food, alcohol, ceremony space, super awesome wedding planner) cost more than the national average! So depressing. But we knew we wanted to do it in Boston (+ have ridiculously good food) and wanted to do a lot for our guests since they were mainly traveling far distances. I’m lucky my parents helped A LOT and that we both have good jobs and aren’t in wedding debt. I don’t regret any of it (best night of my life!), but when I think about what we could have done with that money, I die a little inside. And it’s true that no matter how much you spend, the important thing is free (well, besides the cost of a marriage license!) and no matter what, you have the best night ever. From what I’ve seen so far, your wedding looks like it’s going to be pretty amazing!

39 Melissa September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

We pretty much stuck to our budget. The only hiccup came afterward when my parents settled the bar tab. We had a set $1000 limit for cocktail hour (we only provided house wine and beer-everything else was cash) and then allowed the wedding party to have house beer and wine all night. I’m pretty sure one of the groomsmen milked his privilege and passed out beers to other people.
Melissa recently posted..Snack and the Fitmixer Photo Challenge

40 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

$27K makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Only because I have a 7 year old daughter and I imagine by the time she gets married the average cost will have gone WAY up. I did it the easy and pretty inexpensive way….VEGAS!! I am thinking my daughter will have a choice: I will pay for college or a wedding but no way is she getting both, lol!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..My Fall Bucket List

41 shell September 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Do you plan to do bridal portraits?

42 Meghann September 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

I don’t. I wasn’t sure people still did those? Is it more common up north?

43 shell September 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I thought people still did them??? Maybe not. I might get them done just so I can have some professional photos of me in my dress. I want to get every dollars worth out of that dress. Plus, on the actual day – you might be too rushed to get some of the pics that you want

44 C September 7, 2012 at 6:08 am

I got married in what was essentially a barn, and my wedding ended up costing almost $25 000. All the little things (wedding party favours, personal details such as cake toppers) really add up! And then of course there are big things such as the photographer and florist. If I could do it again, I would probably skip florals or have VERY simple arrangements – and mine were nothing special! I also think I spent just as much money diy-ing certain things because it took extra to actually ge things looking nice!

Also if you don’t mind my asking, I see about the rings that you are paying seperately out of your own pockets. Do you and Derek keep your finances seperate then? To each their own of course, but I’m surprised how many people don’t do the joint thing after long-term cohabitation or marriage!

45 Meghann September 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Trust me, I looked at rustic barn venues that would have cost me over $20,000 when all was said and done. One of the reasons I chose the venue I did was because it was so cheap and we could bring everything in. I also agree about the DIY-ing stuff, which is why I’m not DIY-ing everything, just the stuff I know will be worth it for he money. At least that’s the plan for now…

As of right now, Derek and I keep our finances separate. We have one joint account for food and date nights, but everything else is separate. That’s actually one thing we’re still not sure what to do with since we’re both very independent people with our finances. Our long term goal is to combine everything, we just have to slowly ease ourselves into it.

46 Kelly September 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Re: finances, maybe I have really progressive friends/colleagues but it seems like it is becoming more common to have hybrid situations. Personally at least to me it sounds like a smart idea because you can pool money together for shared expenses but each have a bit of play money separate. To me it always sounded nice because then you can spend your play money as you wish, without having to ask “permission” from the spouse. I don’t know if when the time comes I would do things 100% split, but the notion of having some money that is just mine sounds nice.

Though my guess is it is easier when the household is just two people and more complicated when there are kids involved.
Kelly recently posted..A Midwestern Meets Mediterranean Dinner Party

47 Emily N September 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

My spreadsheet was just as detailed as yours. We ended up spending around 13K for ours, I think? And that included everything except my engagement ring (which J purchased). We never actually set a budget. I was just very aware as I was planning that we were paying for this and I did not not have very much saved up for it. I cut A LOT when it came to flowers and decor because those things were not important, and shelled out a bit more than intended on my favorite Toledo area photographer. πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..No Watch Thursday

48 Christine @ BookishlyB September 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

We did the same things with our rings, for the exact same reason. We paid for our whole wedding ourselves and we definitely ended up going over budget- but not to the point where we put ourselves in debt. We didn’t quite hit the estimated $27,000, but we cut out thing like the videographer, transportation costs, and had the reception and ceremony at the same venue.

I hate how people get all judgey about wedding costs- as if you’re a crazy materialist person with no sense of money if you do spend a decent chunk of change. Everyone’s expectations, budget, and financial plans are unique.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Because I Need Another Hobby

49 Kimberly September 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

We’re paying for our wedding exclusively so I knew, even if we could afford it, I didn’t want to break the bank or go into debt. We’re getting married at Discovery Cove in December, having a welcome brunch at Animal Kingdom, and with all of our wedding and honeymoon expenses, it comes in right under $10k. We’re not having bridesmaids/groomsmen or a formal reception (although alcohol is provided at Discovery Cove), but I’m really happy with how everything has come together and that we’ve stayed within our budget. The little things can add up and get out of hand if not watched carefully!

50 Stacy September 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m getting married 6 months after you. Our budget is above the national average, but we’re in a big city (Austin, TX) and are planning for 200+ guests. Thankfully, my parents are covering most of the wedding costs.

Even so, we’re having a nicer wedding for less money by doing a few little tricks that may help others: we planned a wedding for Friday night (instead of Saturday), we’re opting for a buffet instead of sit down, and we’re asking for discounts anywhere we can (So far, I saved 33% off the band, my ceremony musicians threw in free playing for 1/2 an hour of cocktail music, and my dress was 15% off, all because I asked). We found a great florist who is new to the business, and therefore, her prices are discounted.

What else? We’re skipping the morning after brunch, and instead, blocked a hotel with free breakfast. We’ll spend the morning after downstairs chatting with our guests while they enjoy breakfast, no need to spend another 2K on brunch. A family friend is going to cater the rehearsal dinner, and bring the costs down for fiance’s parents. Fiances parents are paying for rehearsal and stocking the bar.Parents are paying for wedding. We’re paying our honeymoon, rings, favors, save the dates, hair/make-up, his suit, parent and attendant gifts, etc.
Stacy recently posted..Recovery

51 Laura September 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I just got married and our wedding came in at 20k. Luckily, my parents generously footed the bill-otherwise we wouldn’t have had nearly as nice of a wedding (we had just bought a house and all our money went to the down payment!). We had a short engagement though at only 7 months, as I had my heart set on an outdoor wedding and June was our only option before it got too hot where we live, so I couldn’t price shop/get as many deals as I would have liked but oh well. I was having a heart attack as the costs added up and my mom kept telling me not to worry about it and just to have a nice wedding, which I am so thankful for! Our wedding turned out wonderfully and people actually said it was the best wedding they had ever been too which totally shocked me but definitely made me feel good. I’m sure your wedding will be wonderful-I can’t wait to see everything on the blog!

52 Brigid September 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I am totally with you on saying “heck no!” to a lot of the Wedding Industrial Complex. I wouldn’t spend $27,000 even if I could, but I really can’t, so it’s a non-issue. πŸ˜‰ I got married in February, and we spent less than $3,000 on everything (including the honeymoon) — and I live in LA! Of course, our venue was free (holla at state beaches, which cost nothing unless you put anything in the ground), and there were only a dozen guests. I also bought a non-traditional dress off the rack (for $75), don’t have an engagement ring, and baked my own cakes. And it was planned in seven weeks ’cause we’re both insane. Our wedding was not traditional at all, but then neither are we. It was still exactly what we wanted.
Brigid recently posted..Recipe remix

53 Kelly September 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

It’s funny because until friends started getting married, I had NO idea how much things cost. I’m the MOH for a wedding of a close friend so she’s shared all the detail, including budget. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head when she mentioned that all in, it would be costing her $50,000. But, we live in Chicago which is the second most expensive city to get married in. Shockingly she’s below the average here, which according to ABC News is $53,069. And her wedding isn’t huge – 100 people. So I do think to someone’s earlier point it has a lot to do with the area you live in. I also do think the amount of time (and talent) you have to take on more of it yourself makes a difference. You can definitely save a lot of $ by going more DIY, but I will admit my life is already hectic enough that I cannot imagine fitting in the time for wedding stuff so I can understand the appeal of outsourcing stuff to someone else.

Personally, even if my parents could afford to chip in a lot I’m not sure I could justify spending that much. When I think of how much that gets you elsewhere (like over 1/2 the downpayment of a nice condo here), it’s really hard for me to justify it.

I agree that weddings shouldn’t be that expensive but it seems like in some areas they just are. I think part of the problem is there can be this culture of one upping or feeling like if your wedding isn’t as nice as someone else’s it somehow reflects on your self worth. And while I think Pinterest is great for getting ideas, it also puts a lot of pressure on brides for things to be perfect and coordinated.
Kelly recently posted..A Midwestern Meets Mediterranean Dinner Party

54 [email protected] September 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I liked this post a lot. I had an “average” wedding budget and was very blessed to have most of that coming from my parents. I will say as much as I loved my wedding I REALLY regret spending what I did. I really wish Id saved that money back to furnish our home or something like that. Good for you for getting it done on a budget!
[email protected] recently posted..Alexia Foods Giveaway and Review

55 Monica November 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hi, I just recently found your blog and I am enjoying it. I am also an fellow FL girl. I was just browsing through your wedding posts when I came across the photo of Birdsong Barn! I went to the very first wedding ever hosted (and the reason it was built in the first place) there a few years ago. Small world! I’m definitely looking forward to how you decorate the space.

56 Kelli February 21, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi Ladies,

I am a casting assistant on a TV Special for a Major Cable Network.
This special will take a look at several brides – with many different types of budgetary situations. We follow you as you MAKE IT WORK and still create a beautiful day to remember for the rest of your life!

Looking for brides getting married in the NJ / NY / MIAMI / NEW ORLEANS areas in APRIL or MAY 2013.
TELL US YOUR STORY!
Respond ASAP if you would like to be considered!
To: [email protected]