more ยป" />

Wedding: 4 months to go

by Meghann on September 5, 2012

4 months? We ONLY have 4 months? Crap.

At 4 months out, we have…

Stuff currently “in the works”

• DJ <— REALLY need to get on this
  • Videographer <– playing phone tag with one
  • cowgirl boots + cardigans for bridesmaids
  • Derek’s wedding band <– how much do you want to bet this is a last minute purchase?
  • Location for rehearsal dinner <— Derek’s parents working on this.
  • To book the honeymoon <— Derek’s job
  • Cake Topper <– ordered one from etsy, waiting for it to arrive to share details
  • Invitations <– in the process of having a friend design them
  • Flower girl dress <– still not sure what I want, but I am looking
  • Something for the flower girl to carry <– my grandpa is working on this
  • Officiant

And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):

• Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
  • Chair rentals (for ceremony)
  • Bridesmaid gifts
  • Groomsmen gifts (tie + ?)
  • Gifts for parents
  • Ceremony script
  • Day-of timelines
  • Center pieces (have an idea. need to connect with my aunt again)
  • Decorations
  • Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
  • Creative seating chart (ideas?)
  • Guestbook
  • Dessert bar (double as favors)
  • Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
  • Navy shoes
  • Marriage license (this is a month out task)
  • Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown (any leads on someone in Titusville?)
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here

I really enjoy these monthly check-ins. Mainly because they remind me of all the little things I still need to do. August was a good month in the wedding-planning department: my bridesmaids finally got their dresses, the suits for the groomsmen and groom have all been ordered, I have a wedding band, we’ve started working with a graphic designer about our wedding invitations, and my sister set a date for the bridal/ bachelorette festivities (woo hoo!). But I feel like that’s just a drop in the bucket for the stuff that still needs to get done. Gulp.

How do people plan weddings in such short time spans? I gave myself a year and I’m still sweating bullets thinking of all the stuff that needs to get done before the wedding. I’m also realizing how quickly everything is going to fly by. It’s safe to say that both Derek and I are pretty much booked solid every weekend until the wedding. Thankfully Healthy Living Summit is over now so I have a little more time to work on wedding details.

We’re closing in and people are starting to question wedding details that I’m still thinking about. When does the rehearsal start? ummm… no idea. Where are the guys staying the night before the wedding? hmm… should probably look into that. Where are you going on your honeymoon? Good question! I would like to know the answer to that too. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess that means I should probably start gathering up all those answers now.

We still have 4 months and when I think about all the big events between now and then (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) I start to calm down a bit. One thing at a time. One thing at a time.

How did you feel when you were 4 months out?

1 KT September 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Your list is making me so anxious! I am super type A and got a lot of things done way earlier than needed, but I’d get some of the things that you need outside vendors for locked in now. DJ (in our area they book a year+ out, can’t believe you don’t have one!), rehearsal dinner, chairs (we waited until last minute – for an accurate count and the price doubled), and shuttle. I wouldn’t wait until the last minute for ceremony stuff – a lot of couples do, but that should be the most important part of all of this! Good luck with the rest of planning. It’s been fun to follow along now that our chaos is over – it was totally worth it.

2 Megan September 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Wow! You have a ton done! I know the feeling about realizing that although you have a lot done, you still have a ton more to do! But it’ll all come together in the end — good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚
Megan recently posted..The Lemons and Cookies in Life

3 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love all of your wedding planning! Just take a deep breath and enjoy every moment of it! (:

4 Christine September 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

a note on the seating chart – go by what works with your wedding. My cousin had a more formal wedding and there was a fixed seating chart. For my other two cousins, their wedding were less formal, so there was no seating chart, we just sat with whoever we wanted (there were a couple tables reserved for the parents/grandparents of the bride and groom). Besides, with no seating chart, no one can complain that you stuck them next to crazy aunt Millie or whatever ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’ve been to weddings without seating charts before and it was a nightmare. People just stood around for 10 minutes staring at each other, not sure where to sit. Then the group I was with got split up because by the time we were done with the photobooth, there wasn’t a group of 4 chairs together. (and none of us knew anyone else at the wedding) ๐Ÿ™ That’s when I made the statement “when I get married I’m having a seating chart” lol I should probably write a seating chart post when we get down to it. Would be a good conversation starter to see everyone else’s experiences.

6 Laura September 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I had the same experience at a wedding lacking a seating chart. It was a mad dash to claim a spot at a table-our group still ended up split! Seating charts all the way!! ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

You seem to have accomplished so much already! But I understand how having a long pending list tends to overshadow your completed tasks by sheer anxiety that it can cause. I hope you’re congratulating yourself on how much you have done so far!! You deserve it!
Four months really is still a long time, and you have the BIG things out of the way (venue, dress, food/caterer).
And as for short engagements — I have a feeling that a lot of the small touches like the toasting flutes, save the dates, unique cakes/toppers, don’t get as much attention or get left out at all. Either that or they have a wedding planner working for them to tie up loose ends.
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Officially a Runner!

8 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

9 Molly Ball September 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I have a recommendation for a DJ. Their site is http://www.czonemusic.com/florida/about.php. They are awesome. They DJed my friend’s wedding and also provided live music during cocktail hour. It was a great experience. I’m real picky about music, and they delivered a fabulous mix. They work in Boston and Florida, and I hear they’re reasonably priced. Good luck!

10 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks! I’ll look into them.

11 kate September 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

An idea for the DJ- ask a family friend. We did this for our wedding and it worked out beautifully (And saved alot of cash). Just be specific beforehand since they won’t likely have the experience of knowing what it is to DJ a wedding. Oh- and make sure they have your itunes password if you’re giving them a CD!

12 BroccoliHut September 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm

You have already planned so much! I am impressed! The latest thing we crossed off the list was booking the honeymoon…it was a little too late for comfort in my opinion because I need to apply for a new passport, and those can take FOREVER.
Anyway, at four months out, I didn’t have as much figured out as you do because I hadn’t had my “mega-planning week” at home yet. Now at two months out I’m feeling much more comfortable that things will get done!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: the Rings

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Lol, don’t worry, if David Tuterra can a plan a wedding in a couple weeks you can totally pull this together in 4 months (they just released a new season of My Fair Wedding on Netflix… I’ve been watching it a lot…)
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAWโ€“School Day!

14 Janna W. September 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

You still have 4 months to go and what sounds like a wonderful team to help you out. Wedding planning is so stressful. Hasn’t someone said “nothing like testing a relationship like trying to plan a wedding”? My husband and I were only engaged for 4 months + change. At 4 months out.. I think I had just gotten my dress and was deciding between 2 venues? Hahah, it was a whirlwind for sure and I had moments of panic. Although the 2 weeks leading up to it I refused to sweat details because at the point you’re mentally exhausted with planning. All the important things happened 1) we got married 2) we shared it with the ones we love. Make sure to give yourself time to enjoy the process ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Four months out I had just gotten engaged. However, it helps when all you have to do is pick out a dress, convince lots of friends to come and book your tickets to VEGAS!!! It isn’t for everyone but it was perfect for us and I would do it all over again!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..WIAW #12, Falling Into Good Habits

16 Andrea September 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You’ll get it all done! My engagement was only 5 1/2 months and while I always thought I wanted a year engagement when I was younger, I can’t imagine having a longer one. I was so ready for the big day!
Andrea recently posted..Book Review- Origin

17 Allison September 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Haha–4 months before the wedding we bought a house and moved! We decided to do all the biggest things in life in 6 months. I’m switching projects at work the Wednesday before we get married too!

The real crunch time started about a month ago (getting married next weekend!) thats when I felt stressed for the first time. I’ve sent SO many emails in the last week just trying to coordinate things. Crazy!

18 Katie @ Livehalffull September 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Four months is still the “lag time” and then once 3-2 months hits it’s absolutely insane until the wedding comes!!! I was going crazy the last two months, but I made it!!!
Katie @ Livehalffull recently posted..Honeymoon Day Four