more ยป" />

Three Truths and a Lie

by Meghann on September 5, 2012

How many of you have ever played “Three Truths and a Lie”?

I remember when I was first introduced to the game my freshmen year of college. I had volunteered for the homecoming planning committee and we played the game as a way to get to know each other at the first meeting. If you’ve never played before, the concept is pretty straight forward: you list off four “fun facts” (three are true and one is a lie) and the other players have to guess which one is a lie. The first time I played, everyone assumed that the statement “I’m a twin” was a lie, when in reality it was that my birthday was that month (it’s actually in February). Tricky. Tricky.

Why do I remember these things? I have no idea. My dad (and Derek) learned long ago not to question my memory since I remember almost everything. Unfortunately, my awesome memory seems to be reserved for the random details that no one else cares about. Like I can tell you what I wore for my art history final, but I couldn’t tell you anything about the paintings we were tested on. Which is sad because I did really well in the class.

Anyway, I thought it would be a fun game to play on the blog. I’m going to list three truths and a lie. Your job is to pick out the lie in the comments below, then list your own three truths and a lie in the same comment. I’ll try to guess the lie and hopefully other commenters will want to try and guess too. Just think of it as a big reader ice breaker. :)

Alright, here we go.

1. I had an avocado, hummus, feta, and spinach sandwich with carrot sticks and apple sauce for lunch today.

(I know what you’re thinking – that’s the lie! I spy hummus on that plate, too!)

2. My wedding is FOUR MONTHS from today!

IMG_8991_1.jpg

3. I put a down payment on a new bike. Should be here next week!

4. I found this on my calendar for Saturday. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Screen shot 2012-08-02 at 12.59.35 PM.png

Alright. Go!

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I played it as “two truths and a lie” but I was always so terrible at that game (I’m a bad liar)!!

2 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I googled the concept to see if I was remembering the “three” truths part correctly and “two” came up too. I think it can be played with however many truths you want. :)

3 Lisa September 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I think #3 is the lie!

1) There’s a cute boy visiting me next week, but I’ve only met him once – at my Vegas birthday celebration.

2) Save a horse, ride a cowboy is a legitimate item on my bucket list.

3) I’ve moved from Colorado to Boston, back to Colorado, and back to Boston.

4) I LOVE beer, but I hate pumpkin beer.

4 Natalie September 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Lisa, I hope #3 is a lie because why oh why would you ever leave Colorado? Let alone twice!! :)

5 Lisa September 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

#3 is true! Colorado is home and I love it, but it’s not the place for me right now. I’ll be back someday!

6 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Good point!

7 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Haha – as funny as #2 is, I’m going to have say that’s the lie?

8 Lisa September 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

#2 is actually true…and hopefully will get checked off when that cute (cow)boy comes to visit!

9 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

More power to ya girl!

10 jaclyn September 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

omg I love number two and hope it’s true…. and is now also on my bucket list. lol :P

11 Kim September 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I’m sorry but this post confused me. Is it April Fools?

12 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm

It’s a game! Here’s a better explanation on how to play http://teaching.monster.com/training/articles/5609-3-12-three-truths-and-a-lie

13 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’m going with the bike down-payment being a lie … but number 4 is a close second (Oh. And that sandwich just looks too good not to have had!)

1. I can’t whistle.
2. I had a very embarrassing and slightly traumatizing running experience this morning.
3. Going to see BSB was my first ever concert experience.
4. I impulsively cut 8 inches off my hair earlier this week.

Love the idea of playing this game!!

14 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride September 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hmmm… that you cut 8 inches off your hair earlier his week?!

15 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Is #3 a lie? And if #2 isn’t, you have to spill the details!

16 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

You’re right Meghann — it is #3. But Aaron Carter was actually my first concert, so it’s really not all that far off!

I did cut 8 inches off my hair on a whim earlier this week. It’s now fuller and healthier than ever! (Almost too much so. It’s very …. bouncy … haha!)

I wrote a post about this morning’s run … (Potential TMI warning!) But I was on the go and suddenly I had to GO (like go, go) really badly (my body isn’t used to running in the morning, and I think the motion got everything moving. ick). Anyway, I found a pity excuse for a forest. But it made me feel like a true runner for the very first time — running long enough and hard enough to need an emergency pit stop. :)

17 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Been there, done that. Ain’t no shame!

18 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I definitely considered it to be my initiation into the running world! haha.

19 Erin September 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m going to guess number 3 is the like. How could you ever give up Blue??

1. I almost became a police officer.
2. I married my high school boyfriend.
3. I once got into a car accident with a hearse.
4. Artichokes are my favorite food.

20 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

#4 is a lie. And if #3 isn’t the lie – please tell me there wasn’t a body in the hearse during said accident?!

21 Erin September 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hahahah, no, there wasn’t a body.

And, you’re right. I hate artichokes.

22 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I am going to guess the downpayment on the new book is a lie!

1. I am 25 weeks pregnant with a little GIRL!
2. I love my job in corporate finance
3. My favorite color is PINK
4. My favorite food is cheese!

23 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Ha – I’m guessing #2 is the lie. If not, then please tell me what your secret is so I can pass it on to my fiance.

24 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Unfortunately I have no secret…. are you right. Corporate finance is pretty miserable no matter what you do :( At least there is decent money to be made…..

If he finds a secret to make finance more fun, please let me know HAHA!

25 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride September 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Love this game! I think the new bike #3 is the lie!

1. My Dad and I are doing a full on dance routine for our father-daughter dance at my upcoming wedding.

2. I’ve never been to Disney land.

3. I’ve gone skydiving twice.

4. I’ve never gotten a ticket for speeding (and not because I’m marrying a police officer)!

26 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

This one’s hard! Umm… #3? Maybe you’ve really only been once?

27 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride September 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I’ve never been to Disney :( I’ve always wanted to go but each time a trip is planned it falls through. It’s still on my bucket list!

28 allison @ thesundayflog September 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm

im marrying a police officer and my dad and i are doing that toooooooooooooooooooo!

29 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh my gosh, this is my favorite icebreaker of all time! I worked at my college’s orientation for three years and was part of several student organizations throughout my college career, so I’m an icebreaker pro. We did always play it as two truths and a lie, but I like three truths, too!

I think #1 is a lie. I think that’s an old lunch.

And now mine!
1. I once auditioned for a TV show.
2. I had a goldfish whose tail disintegrated and then grew back.
3. I had to get four stitches in my chin after I tried to jump into our pool backwards and didn’t get enough oomph to get away from the concrete pool deck.
4. I was three months old when I first flew on an airplane.

30 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Maybe we should have you organize icebreakers for HLS next year, then! That’s always the hardest part for me!

And you’re good. I want to say #2 is the lie, but it sounds almost too far out there to make up on your own. How about #4?

31 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh my gosh, I’d be all over organizing icebreakers. I’m even able to be progressive about it — these icebreakers are good for starters, these icebreakers are good when you’ve gotten to know each other a little bit, these icebreakers are good for team building. Seriously. I wasn’t kidding when I said I’m a pro ;)

But both of those are actually true! Spot the Goldfish was nearly immortal, which was somewhat unfortunate for him, as he was also suicidal (he jumped out of his bowl on more than one occasion, the poor fella). He lived for TEN YEARS before finally calling it quits. This was a 99 cent goldfish from the supermarket, mind you. And I spent my first Christmas in Seattle so my dad’s side of the family could meet me, hence the early introduction to air travel!

32 Megan S September 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I guess number three is the lie!
1. I was born with webbed toes and my husband was born with webbed fingers
2. I thought I was playing words with Friends with a good friend and trashed talked so bad for two games before finding out it was a stranger
3. I tripped and fell flat on my face twice last weekend
4. My middle name is actually a stage name from relatives in vaudeville and the circus

33 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Ummm… I’m guessing #1 is the lie? or #4? Though if either one is not the lie, those are some fun facts!

34 Megan S September 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Those are both true! Number 2 is the lie. It happened this week to my friend who thought she was playing with me. She asked me something about our game and I had no idea what she was talking about. She showed me the gnarly trash talking conversation and it was pretty much the funniest thing ever. She was so mean to this girl and the girl took it like a champ so she kept thinking she was playing with me!

35 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Smart move stealing a friend’s truth and making it your lie. Well played.

36 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I’m going to go with number 3 with the lie?

As for me….
1.I have a birthmark in my eye
2.My nickcname is Wormey
3.I don’t like hummus
4.I can run an 8 minute mile.

37 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

#3 is the lie? Right? And do you have a photo of the birthmark? (unless that’s a lie)

38 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm

3 is NOT the lie, haha! I’ve tried and tried to jump on the hummus band wagon and I just can’t! I’m hoping one day I’ll find a certain type I like! 4 is the lie! I’m a new runner so I kind of still suck haha! You can pretty much zoom into most of my pictures and see my birthmark. It’s in the color of my left eye on the bottom! I do have a couple pictures it’s more obvious in than others, tho!

39 Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm

i’m going to guess that you are lying about the bike??

40 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Yep. No bike for me. Not yet at least.

41 Annette @FitnessPerks September 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I think # 3 is a lie!! :)

1. I have 9 siblings.
2. My husband is going back to school.
3. I’ve lived abroad for over 1.5 years.
4. I’ve never been to Disneyland.

42 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Someone else had the “I’ve never been to Disneyland” one, too. I’ve only been as a baby – still trying to decide if that would count for me. Anyway, can I guess that the 9 siblings is a lie?

43 Katrina September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I eloped in NYC with our parents as our only guests.
I am fluent in French.
I have had bangs my entire life.
I have baked almost 200 cupcakes this month.

If I can get this down to 140 characters, I’m so taking this to twitter. #3truths1lie

44 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Love the hashtag! Umm… you’re fluent in French. Is that a lie?

45 Katrina September 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

You’re good at this game! I’m originally from Canada, I USED to be fluent in French. ;)

Join in on the hashtag! My husband randomly used it, not realising I made it up. It’s a hashtag of 2 right now.

46 emily September 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I think #1 is the lie; if you can speak French you would elope to Paris! :)

47 Katrina September 6, 2012 at 11:46 am

Haha, I only knew Canadian French (we swear it’s different). Wish I had kept up with it! After living in Wisconsin for 14 years, it’s a fuzzy memory.

48 emily September 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I think your #3 is the lie. Here are mine -

1. I learned how to drive on the left side of the road in an American-style car.
2. I’ve both skydived and flown a plane.
3. I got my first tattoo when I was 17.
4. I swam with sharks for my 20th birthday.

49 Christine September 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I think its #2, i bet you’ve just done one or the other.

50 emily September 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Nope, both true! Though not on the same day…

51 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hmm… I think 3 is your lie.

52 emily September 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm

That one’s true too. I told my parents that I was going to be getting one with or without them (I grew up on an island with an 18 year old drinking age, there wasn’t a lot of id checking going on) but that I’d love their blessing, so they took me for my birthday.

53 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Oh, cool! It’s nice they took you. My parents are weird about that stuff.

54 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Ummm…. you got your first tattoo at 17? is that it?

55 emily September 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

It’s #4, actually. My parents gave me experiences for most of my birthdays – rock climbing, shooting a gun, sky diving, flying a plane… – swimming with sharks was on the original list but since then I have totally wimped out!

56 allison @ thesundayflog September 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm

do it! i did it in south africa. you will not regret it!

57 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Ohhh, I remember playing this at college orientation, haha! I think #3 is your lie.

1. I had a tumor in my finger.
2. My favorite color is pink.
3. I’m allergic to blue food coloring.
4. The only foreign country I’ve been to is Canada.

58 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

The lie is your favorite color is pink? And ouchy finger!

59 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Yes! Nice work =)

60 Christine September 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Well I see you already gave away your lie :) So here are mine:
1. When I was 10 years old, I had a bald spot right on top of my head.
2. I moved 7 times in 3 years.
3. The first race I ever ran was a half-marathon.
4. I am a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon do.

61 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Ummm….. Is #3 your lie? That’s tough! And if 4 isn’t a lie, remind me never to challenge you in a fight!

62 Christine September 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Nope, I’m just crazy in regards to that one. #4 is also true. #2 is the lie. I actually moved 7 times in less than 2 and a half years. The longest I was in one place was 6 months. Thankfully I’ve been in one place for over a year now.

63 Anne September 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

So Fun!
Ok here goes for me

1) Chili is my favorite food
2) I speak Arabic
3) I rode Space Mountain 3 times in a row
4) I met Ace Frehly from KISS

64 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I think the bike is a lie!

65 Kate S September 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I’d like to join in!
I think the bike is the lie. Here are mine:

1. I have webbed toes
2. I own a dog called Yogi
3. I met my husband on the Internet
4. I studied Business Studies at University

66 Erin @ erinberries September 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I think 3 is the lie!

1. My boyfriend used to be my boss.
2. I can’t whistle or french braid my hair.
3. I’ve gotten out of 5 speeding tickets by sweet talking the police man.
4. I’m absolutely disgusted by chocolate.

67 Nicole September 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m going to guess #3 but I could be totally wrong. I rember playing this game. I’ve done it on the first of class at school and sometimes at work during meetings.

Here is mine:

1. I have a relative from Switzerland that’s a duke
2. I have 3 cats
3. I am a triplet (all girls)

68 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm

You’re right – #3 was a lie (I wish it was true though!) Umm.. is your #3 a lie?

69 Nicole September 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Yep you got Meghann! Though I wish it were true too. :)

70 Kim September 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

#3 is the lie, you’re much too sensible to put a down payment on a bike when you’ve already got one that you love ;-)

1. I regularly unbutton my pants at work because they’re too tight after lunch.
2. I can’t make myself burp.
3. I’ve had three professional jobs in the past four years.
4. All I want to do this weekend is clean my house.

71 Bryn September 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I think #1 is a lie… the others are too exciting to not be true!! :) I haven’t done this before so here goes!!

1. I was an extra on Friday Night Lights.
2. My favorite color is orange.
3. I used to be a professional ballet dancer.
4. I am running my first half marathon in 5 months!

72 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

#3 was my lie. No bike for me right now. :( Umm…. is your #3 a lie? If not, that’s really cool!

73 jaclyn September 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Love this. going to jump on the bandwagon and also say that #3 is a lie! PS- I totally remember playing this (drinking game) version in college-love!

1. I have been to 2 HLS’s in the past 3 years
2. I have been to 14 states in the past 2 months
3. I have a twin, too!
4. I’m from Seattle and it’s the best city in the country (well, besides NYC of course!)

74 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

There’s a drinking version of this? We always just played “never have I ever” would have been fun to mix it up a bit. :) Umm…. is your #2 the lie? Maybe you’ve only been to 10 states. ;)

75 JACLYN @JUSTJAC September 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Nope! #2 is true, i’ve been to fourteen states in the past 2 months lol! buuuut I don’t have a twin – used one of your truths for that bc I couldn’t think of anything!!

anyway the college drinking version, yeah, maybe I was thinking of “never have I ever” – i’m sure you remember that one?! “never have I ever (insert some crazy/sexual/scary/travel story here)” and then anyone in the group playing who HAS done it, has to drink. If you have and you say never have I ever, you have to drink too. I think the drinking version of 3/1 is guessing and if wrong, drink, etc

anyway, i liked this post. you should do more *drinking* game posts hahhahahah!!!

76 Steph September 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Oh man! I would have to say #3 is the lie. But new bikes are always a good thing! Ok, as for me…
1. I once ran over myself with my own car.
2. I’m a Tampa Native. All 33 years.
3. I’m terrified of gum. Don’t twirl it around me!
4. I wish I were an astronaut working in the ISS!

77 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

Umm… is #1 the lie? If not, I need to hear that story.

78 Steph September 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

#1 is 100% true! It was horrible. Thankfully I wasn’t hurt badly! Just a booty bruise. Always make sure your car is in park before you jump out!!!! lol

79 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Awesome lesson to learn. Ouch!

80 allison @ thesundayflog September 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

#3 is your lie. here are mine:

1. i went bungee jumping at one of the 7 natural wonders of the world
2. i was attacked by my own pit bull
3. i took a 30% pay cut to do what i love
4. i have a half marathon in 2.5 weeks that i am not trained for

81 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

Toughie. IS #2 a lie?

82 allison @ thesundayflog September 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

haha yes…he wouldnt hurt a fly :)

83 Anne P September 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

I’m guessing #3 is the lie. :) You can’t get rid of old blue!

I hope #4 is true… sounds fun!

84 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

Ha! Old Blue has to go! Unfortunately that was the lie though. One day it will be the truth!

85 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect September 6, 2012 at 10:00 am

1. I absolutly love my job as an architect!
2. I recently moved 150 miles from home and bought a house.
3. There are 2 years and 28 days until my wedding.
4. I once got yelled at by my landlord for hanging my bras from the chandelier.

86 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Hmm… is #2 the lie? (I would hope you really do love your job as a architect if that’s what your blog is called ;) )

87 Jenny September 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

Oooh! I love this game!

1. I was an extra in Remember the Titans (very young Ryan Gosling…still hot).
2. I once had drinks with Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) and had a long discussion about War of the Roses.
3. I worked as a Ride Operator at a local amusement part after I graduated high school.
4. I named my dog Johnny after Johnny Cash.

88 Jenny September 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

My “recently posted” blog title is totally inappropriate. I forgot about that. Sorry!

89 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

haha – no worries! Though you did have me curious enough to click over, so not really a bad thing. ;)

90 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I remember young Ryan Gosling, so cute, so adorable, so skinny! I like him better with a little more meat on his bones. ;) Also, if # 2 is true I’m extremely jealous – Neville grew up HOT. hmmm is #4 the lie?

91 Jenny September 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm

#1 is actually the lie. Remember the Titans was filmed at my high school the summer before I moved to town, so most of my high school class mates WERE actually extras in the football game crown scenes. I was not sadly, and therefore missed out on adorable Baby Goose.

#2 happened at ::cough::dragoncon::cough. It was 3 years ago, it was totally random, and it’s still my favorite thing that’s ever happened.

92 Emily N September 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I LOVE this game. I have actually played it more than once at a corporate training. Here is mine:
1. I have known my husband since I was 14.
2. I went to 4 colleges in 5 years and had a bachelors AND a masters after that.
3. I am a CPA
4. I live for baseball season (and the Tigers!)

93 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

hmmm…. Is #2 the lie? This is a tough one!

94 Emily N September 7, 2012 at 6:50 am

Its 3. I can’t pass that darn test!

But 2 was always how I got people at my trainings when we played this game.
My 4 schools:
Xavier University – 1 year
Lourdes College – 1 semester (planning to return to XU)
Bowling Green State U – 2.5 years (bachelors)
University of Cincinnati – 1 year (Masters)

95 Melissa September 6, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I think #3 is the lie!

1) I teach both high school math and dance.

2) My husband and I are planning to buy a house within the first year of our marriage.

3) I majored in both dance and math in college.

4) I’m obsessed with the show “Bunheads.”

96 Meghann September 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hmm… since #1 and #3 are so much alike, I’m going to say #4 is the lie? (even though I’m pretty obsessed with that show because I’m pretty much obsessed with anything on ABC Family)

97 Melissa September 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Oddly enough, #3 is the lie! I earned a lot of dance units in college but never actually majored in it. I did consider it though!