more ยป" />

4 x 100′s

by Meghann on September 5, 2012

Whoa! Talk about a great swim practice tonight.

First of all, many, many thanks to the lovely Mary for lending me a swimsuit tonight. I had the brilliant idea of driving to the south end of Tampa at lunch time and working the remainder of the afternoon at a Starbucks down the street from the pool. I was just pulling into the Starbucks when I realized I had forgot my swim bag safe and sound on my kitchen table. Fail. I live about 30 minutes from the pool, there’s no way I was turning all the way around, driving home, and then back for practice. Luckily, a quick text to the group resulted in a borrowed swim suit, cap (thanks, Mary!) and googles (thanks, Felipe!). My swim friends rock!

Starbucks rocks too. The barista had accidentally made an extra tall Caramel Macchiato and offered it up to the first taker. Me! Me!

Starbucks.jpeg

My first Caramel Macchiato – it reminded me of a hot chocolate (with caramel instead of chocolate). A little rich for my taste, but still delicious.

I also had a little bag of pistachios while clicking away at my laptop.

Alright, back to swim practice.

We started with a nice and easy 250 warm-up, then my coach decided to have some fun with a little game. We had over an hour left with practice and he wanted to fit in as many 4 x100′s as possible in that time frame. The twist was we had to keep a steady pace with descending intervals. Our only breaks were those built into the intervals.

It looked a little something like this:

• 4 x 100 @ 2:30
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:20
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:10
  • 4 x 100 @ 2:00
  • 4 x 100 @ 1:50
  • 4 x 100 @ 1:40
  • 4 x 100 @ 1:30

I was feeling really good for the first few sets. Even though I could tell my body was wearing down, I managed to keep a steady pace; even going a second or two faster here and there. I was averaging 1:37 100′s up until the 1:50 intervals. It’s amazing how quickly things changed at that point. My tired body went from getting 20+ seconds of rest to less than 10. With each interval, I lost a second or more of my speed, until i finally had to sit an interval out. From that point on, I went one on, one off until we finished. By the last set there were only two of 6 swimmers left still able to hit the intervals. We were all dying and barely able to lift our arms to finish the final sets.

Honestly, I’m happy I lasted as long as I did in our coach’s game. I wanted to give up a lot earlier than I did, but I kept hitting my goals, which was all the encouragement I needed to go on. I discovered my weak spot was less than 10 seconds of rest, that’s not enough time for my body to recover and I suffered the sets that came after that.

Including a warm-up, the 100′s, and cool down, I swam a total of 2850 yards tonight. Damn. That’s a lot of yards. Whoop. Whoop. :)

After practice, I had a text from Derek asking what he could do to start dinner. I gave him instructions for roasting the brussels sprouts that were in the fridge and starting the ground chicken for sloppy joes. When I came home, all I had to do was toast my bread and add the sauce to the chicken (my special mix of ketchup, bbq sauce, and mustard). Dinner was served less than 10 minutes after walking in the door. Sweet.

I love my man. And I love that he’s more open lately to learning how to cook. Makes me smile. :)

I had the last of the Theo dark chocolate and salted almond bar for dessert.

That was some good chocolate.

After that practice, I know i’m going to sleep good tonight.

Sleep tight everyone!

1 Carissa September 5, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Your swim workout posts always make me jealous! I am missing not having a training team for runs or to start tris here. My schedule is so random!!!

Dinner looks good too. I love roasted brussels!

2 Caroline September 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I really wish I had a swim group to train with. I can go out and swim laps but I don’t feel like I’m getting any faster, so I’d definitely love to have that option:)

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I bet you were happy when you got the “how can I help” text. I sure hope to someday meet a guy who sends me those texts. haha!

4 Courtney September 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I WISH I could call my husband and have him start dinner! The only thing he knows how to do is make eggs. ;)

5 KatieTX September 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

My husband texted me: your wish is my command. Isn’t that the best text ever!? I came home and dinner was ready!

6 Kim September 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Try the ICED caramel macchiato – it’s friggin’ scrumptious & got me through 4 years at Clemson.

7 Annette @FitnessPerks September 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm

What a fun/awesome swim team you have. That really rocks!

I wish my husband wanted to play around more in the kitchen…but at least he sets the table & does the dishes! I’ll take it!

8 Mandy September 5, 2012 at 11:37 pm

The chicken sloppy joes look good. If you like Indian food I make a delicious Indian sloppy joe. It is super easy and delicious!

9 Jamie@everydaydolce.com September 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I’m considering getting into swimming and this post was incredibly motivating! I’ve been stuck in a cardio rut so I think I’m in the need for a change!

10 Emily September 5, 2012 at 11:59 pm

We used to do a set just like that with decreasing intervals. Coach called them “gut checks” and got a huge grin on his face every time he knew they were coming and we didn’t. They were ROUGH. Good job hanging in as long as you did!

11 Dione September 6, 2012 at 12:09 am

I’m SUPER lucky, my husband does all the cooking. Good thing because if I were in charge, we’d have to eat cereal every night.

12 Anne September 6, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’m surprised you thought the Caramel Macchiato tasted like hot chocolate. There isn’t any chocolate in the drink.

13 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 6:43 am

I meant it tasted like hot chocolate in the rich, creamy, non-coffee sort if way. And even though there was no chocolate the richness was there to have a similar experience drinking it.

14 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 6, 2012 at 6:10 am

Isn’t it just awesome when you man gets dinner all ready for you! I love it when my husband does that!
(And I warn you.. it WILL be very awkward to call Derek your husband when you get married!)

15 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 6, 2012 at 6:50 am

I love when my husband offers to cook dinner or I come home and dinner is already prepared. It’s such a nice feeling :)

16 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

Hmm, a caramel macchiato shouldn’t taste anything like a hot chocolate – no wonder your tummy hurt!

17 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:02 am

I should rephrase what I wrote. I didn’t mean it actually tasted like a hot chocolate, I meant it had the same creamy, sweet richness. Only instead of chocolate, it was caramel.

18 Courtney September 6, 2012 at 8:39 am

My first job ever was at Dunkin Donuts… one day I accidentally made an extra coffee and handed it to the first taker (as your barista did today). Aaand then I got fired for it haha womp womp! They considered it stealing since I just gave it away? It was extra and going down the drain anyway. So dumb!

19 Meghann September 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

really? I’ve had this happen a couple of time at Starbucks. I’ve also been there when they were training a new barista and were giving away the practice drinks he was making. I thought it was just how they did things.

20 Courtney September 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Could be.. I worked at a dumpy Dunkin’s so maybe they’re just cheaper with the free stuff! It seriously made no sense to me, but I was 16 at the time and hated working there so I didn’t lose too much sleep :)

21 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am ALL about the pistachios these days. Love them!! And free Starbucks? Very, very few treats can top that!
Also, having dinner into my belly ASAP after getting home is pretty much my goal in life. Actually, it’s worse when I work the overnight shift and am coming home to breakfast … it’s basically all I think about the last 3 hours and the whole trip home. Don’t get between me and that fridge when I get back, it may prove to be dangerous! haha.

22 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

Holy cow–I am *exhausted* just reading about your workout! You go, girl!