50 Miles

by Meghann on September 3, 2012

50 miles. Done.

20120903_113145.jpg

Now that wasn’t scary as I thought it was going to be. You know what helps? Having awesome friends that are willing to meet you in the middle of nowhere for a 7:00am ride. Yep. Friends rock.

Last night was relaxation heaven.

Derek and I had dinner at 6:00pm (we were both hungry – why not?).

Tortellini from our freezer with veggies from the fridge (kale, carrot, okra) and a sun-dired tomato pesto.

Side of Maduro

IMG_0145.jpg

Fresh plum for dessert.

We rented Project X because it was 6:30 and we were a little bored. If you’ve never heard of Project X that’s probably a good thing. It’s about three high schools students who throw a huge party that gets out of control. I could see the potential in it, but I thought the movie kind of dragged and lost my attention. Eh. Wouldn’t watch again.

The movie was over at 9:30 and I was in bed shortly thereafter. I had a long day in the sun and my alarm was set for 4:50 the next morning.

I was on the phone with my sister a couple of weekends ago discussing our upcoming training schedules, when we decided to try to fit in a long ride together. There’s an awesome trail that’s halfway between Orlando and Tampa that we figured would be a good middle spot to meet for our long ride. She got a few friends together on her end (my little brother and our friend Amber) and I got a few friends on my end (Marcus, Mary, and Stephanie) and we all agreed to meet at the trailhead at 7:00am this morning.

After a great (long) night of sleep, waking up early didn’t seem like that big of a deal. I gathered my cycling gear and had a piece of toast with almond butter and jelly and a side of cantaloupe on my way out the door.

I met Mary, Marcus, and Stephanie in South Tampa and we were somehow able to squeeze 4 bikes and all our gear in the “mom mobile” (aka Mary’s mom’s mini van). The ride to the trailhead wasn’t bad at all. Even with a late start, it probably took us 45 minutes to pull in and see these lovely faces shining back at us.

It took us as long to get the trailhead as it would have to drive to St. Pete Beach. It wasn’t bad at all and worth it to sneak a ride in with friends and family. We need to do this more often.

The ride was great. We weren’t breaking any speed records, but it was nice to fit in some casual riding time with everyone. We averaged 15 mph and, thanks to the shaded trail, none of us felt like we were dying from the heat.

20120903_090703.jpg

20120903_084634.jpg

My fuel consisted of two Chewy Bars and Gatorade Chews. I either had 1/2 a bar or a Gatorade chew every time we took a break.

20120903_095225.jpg

20120903_084627.jpg

Not all of us were doing 50, so we turned around at mile 20. If we would have kept going, the trail would have taken us all the way to Clermont.

20120903_090655.jpg

I’m not sure if it was the flat trail, the nice shade, or the great company – but the first 40 miles were the easiest 40 miles I’ve ever done. They literally flew by.

20120903_095643-1.jpg

We dropped Mary, Marcus, and my brother off at the car at mile 40. At the beginning of the ride, we all said we would have been ok finishing at mile 40 if we didn’t feel like going on, but we all felt great and decided to continue on to 50. Just 5 out and 5 back, that didn’t sound bad, right?

And it wasn’t. We went out 5, came back 5, and just like that our ride was done.

20120903_113022.jpg

That was easy. Almost too easy. Thank goodness my HIM is in flat-as-a-pancake Miami, I think I can handle that. The jury’s still out on the heat and humidity, but at least I have the whole flat course going for me. ;)

There was a Cracker Barrel not very far from the trailhead that we all had been drooling over since the beginning of the ride. There were many discussion covering pancakes, hash brown casserole, and the rest of Cracker Barrel’s delicious breakfast menu. Must. Get. Food.

I ordered the “Mama’s Breakfast Platter” with blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, and country ham.

Hit. The. Spot.

Now I’m full, tired, and feeling great. I’ve accomplished my two fitness goals this weekend (8 mile run on Saturday and 50 mile bike ride today) and am finally feeling the training spirit. It feels good to be back in the game!

How are your weekend fitness goals going?

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 3, 2012 at 3:16 pm

sounds like a great ride!! and both breakfasts look delicious!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m glad you had a great bike ride! It’s so much better with other people, I run with a group for my marathon training long runs, and it makes the time just fly by!

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow!! That is a super impressive ride! One that I’d love to tackle after my half-marathon next month but before winter (I’ll probably have all of October to plan and execute!) — any tips for a first timer riding it? How often did you stop to fuel?

Ps. Love the concept of the “Mom mobile” — when my friends and I used to borrow my Mom’s minivan we would call it “the Mothership” because compared to all of our little-two door cars it was like her Ford Windstar had birthing hips. :)

4 Meghann September 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’d say take it easy and bring friends along! WE stopped every 10 miles or so, I had my fuel then. But I’ve done solo rides where I didn’t stop for fuel and just ate on the ride. Good luck!

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love me some Cracker Barrel. I had a delicious egg sandwich the other afternoon with fried apples. Mmm..:)

6 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward September 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm

That ride sounds awesome! I love that you have a ton of friends to do your workouts with. I need to find a group in my area to workout with. I also need a good workout week or weekend to getting my motivation going!

7 Kaitlin H. September 3, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I’m a local trying to get into cycling (bought a used bike this weekend, just waiting for it to get here!). Where did you all cycle? Thanks!

8 Meghann September 3, 2012 at 9:01 pm

We rode at Van Fleet trail. If you’re in Tampa, it’s about 38 miles from town. There are other great trails in town – check out Suncoast, Flatwoods, and Pinellas.

9 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

What a great ride. I like that trail and how it labels your distance for you. I don’t know of anything like that around here! :)

I didn’t have any goals for the weekend.. but I got 3 great workouts in! :)

10 Steph September 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Awesome! Definitely a Cracker Barrel worthy workout! ;)

11 Brittany September 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Great job!! Curious what trail you were on…I’m a local in the Tampa area and might be interested in trying it out myself! :)

12 Meghann September 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm

It’s Van Fleet. It’s not exactly in Tampa, it’s right outside Lakeland.

13 Kelsey September 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I HATED Project X. You know you are old (I’m 26) when you think “Wow, that is such a mess, who is going to clean that up?!” in some of the scenes. ;)

14 Kelsey September 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

15 Kristen September 4, 2012 at 2:32 am

Congrats on the 50! Very impressive! My goals this weekend were: swim Saturday, hike Sunday and long walk Monday…nothing major but all completed!! Makes me feel pretty good especially for a long weekend. Oh and I perfected my hand wraps for my boxing classes that I just started taking…best thing ever btw!! Seriously, I don’t know if its just the gym I’m at or boxing in general but it is a crazy tough workout that is so. much. fun!

16 Army Amy* September 4, 2012 at 3:13 am

50 miles! Way to go! I love working out with friends. It makes it a lot more fun and a lot less work.*

17 Amy September 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

Cograts! That’s such an awesome trail. I had the exact same workout there last week (my fiancé and I live in Orlando and my dad met us from Tampa)…we even refueled at cracker barrel post ride too mmmmmm! Good luck with the rest of your HIM training! I did that race a few years ago and loved it :)