more ยป" />

Running Party

by Meghann on September 1, 2012

8 miles. Done!

Woo hoo! My farthest run since May – I’m very proud of myself for that. :)

It hit me sometime last week that I’m not making the commitment to my running like I should be. Running season is just around the corner and I need to work on building my base back up sooner rather than later. So my goal is to do just that. I even put a public commitment out there to keep myself in check.

Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 1.05.14 PM.png

I always feel like that once I put something out there, I’m more likely to achieve that goal. Then it’s not just me out there, I have a whole team of support out there cheering me on to succeed (and I’m cheering on their goals too!). There’s definite power in numbers!

My Facebook update led to a group email chain among friends, which led to plans for a Saturday group run and a potluck breakfast afterwards. Gosh I love the internet. And I love running friends. Running friends rock.

Mary had to cover more miles than the rest of us, so she started her run on the early side, while Courtney, Meg, Marcus, and I met her at 7:30 to finish out the remaining miles together.

We headed towards Davis Island. Marcus was only covering 3 miles, so we lost him around 1.5 miles as he turned around and headed home.

It was HOT, really hot. The forgiving temps the threat of Isaac had provided last weekend were long gone. We had nothing but sunshine, heat, and humidity and all of us were dying in it. I realized early on that there was no way I was going to be able to hold the 8:30-ish pace the lead girls were holding for all 8 miles. Thankfully I wasn’t the only one. Meg was breathing heavy next to me and told me she was probably going to cut back early and only cover 6. Music to my ears. New plan – turn back with Meg and finish the last two miles on my own.

At mile 3, Meg and I waved good-bye to Courtney and Mary and set back on our way back to Mary’s. We stopped at all the water fountains and I completely refilled my water bottle twice. I forgot what it was like to run in this heat. I should have brought some Gatorade to rehydrate with – the water wasn’t cutting it on its own.

We eventually made our way back off the island and turned towards the final street back home. In the final stretch Meg told me to go ahead. She had actually been telling me to go ahead for the last mile. Meg’s an AWESOME runner, her PRs put all my PRs to shame, but she recently moved to the area and wasn’t used to these conditions. The fact that she was having problems maintaining a good pace, proves how bad the conditions were.

I made sure Meg had the directions to get back and took off for my final two. And by “took off” I simply mean that I continued to “fake it until I could make it” in the final two miles. I stuck to shady sidewalks and just kept moving at whatever pace my legs felt like they could maintain. I went from an 8:40 mile for my first mile of the day, to a 10:01 for my eighth. I didn’t care – I was done.

When I finished my watch (I got a new Forerunner 10 last week – details to come soon!) flashed “Congrats – New Distance Record!” I couldn’t help, but laugh. Yep, new distance alright. Rock on.

I found Meg back at Mary and Marcus’s place and Courtney and Mary joined us shortly thereafter (they ended up cutting their run short due to the horrible heat). We were a group of hot, sweaty runners, more than ready to eat.

And eat we did. Hello, breakfast spread!

I went back for another cinnamon roll. Mary made them from scratch – AMAZING!

We should have running parties more often. Good friends. Good run (well, in theory). Good food. I’ll take it!

Happy Saturday!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

that running party sounds like a blast! The heat, however, does not! I don’t think I could cut it in FL, I get so ill being in the sun too much even if I’m just laying in it! Gotta love being a heat-sensitive red head… Luckily it was cloudy and drizzling here in Chicago today!

2 Annette @FitnessPerks September 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Nice job on the 8 miler! Heat can be a major mojo killer, that’s for sure. Hah. That food does look delicious too :)

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Homemade cinnamon rolls are THE best. My mom makes them every Christmas. Pure heaven!

4 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward September 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

How do you run 8 miles and not look like you’ve run at all?!?! I love that you all had a little breakfast buffet together afterward!

5 Meghann September 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

haha -TRUST ME – I was a hot sweaty mess. I can definitely see that in the photo.

6 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm

This was the first summer I attempted running in the heat/humidity and definitely made some hydration mistakes along the way. Kudos to listening to your body and taking the pace down when you needed to. There is strength in numbers for motivation — I’m definitely a solo-running lover, but it’s always nice to share miles with friends every once in a while, and I’m always a friend of group encouragement/being accountable to many. Sounds like a winning run on many levels!! :)

7 Dawn September 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hey, any run that’s over is a “good run”. Good job.

8 Meghann September 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Good reminder. Thanks, Dawn :)

9 Wendi September 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Meghann, are you still planning on doing the HIM? I only ask because doing a 50 mile bike ride on Monday makes me assume you are, but you haven’t talked about it nearly as much as you talked about your first HIM. If you are, have you been following the same training plan as last time??

10 Meghann September 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Yes, I’m still doing the HIM. I haven’t been as committed to my training this time around, which is why I haven’t talked about it as much. I’m not currently following a plan, instead just working in all three sports as much as I can.

11 Dawn September 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Where is your skirt from? Super cute!

12 Meghann September 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

It’s Lululemon

13 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Sometimes I really wish I lived somewhere with warmer weather and shorter winters, but when I read about running in that heat, I change my mind! I definitely wouldn’t be able to handle it…great job getting 8 miles done!!

14 Megan September 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm

awww I used to live right on David Blvd on DI.. i miss it so so so much. Not sure I could run by Estellas without craving a margarita ;)

15 Meghan September 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Yay for 8! I did 8 today too! I agree with letting the running go! I have my first half of the season in 2 weeks. I am just praying I’ll finish it and have a decent time!

16 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Oh man, I’d run through just about any kind of weather if I had that kind of breakfast spread as motivation!

17 Elliot September 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Why do you stand like that? Can’t you put your feet together and pull your knees apart? It looks so strange and uncomfortable.

18 Meghann September 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Actually, standing with my feet together and pulling my knees apart would be uncomfortable. I have slight knock knees, standing as I do is just how my legs are naturally. . Fortunately they don’t bother me. My sincerest apologies if looking at them bothers you. I’ll be sure to stand “properly” to make you feel better the next time I take a photo.

19 Dione September 6, 2012 at 12:05 am

Girl…I don’t know how you just don’t delete rude comments. More power to you for being putting up with it! :)
PS Who cares how you stand??? You freaking ran 8 miles!

20 Sara @my less serious life September 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

i want to have a running party! this looks like so much fun! congrats on your 8 miles!

21 Diana September 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

I was supposed to run 6 miles yesterday, but it was way too hot and humid (I’m a European who grew up with 4 seasons and no humidity still trying to get used to the humidity on the MD eastern shore). Good thing I didn’t – it rained last night and it’s just lovely outside!

I was reading about the Forerunner 10 just a couple days ago, so I’m looking forward to reading your review! I’ve been staying away from gps watches due to their size, but this one actually looks pretty decent, and with my birthday coming up, I might just get it!

Congrats on your 8 miles! I’m lacing up my shoes as soon as I’m done with this message!

22 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I hate running in humid conditions. It makes it all that much harder. Way to go!! That food looks so good…I’m sure it made all of those miles worth it!

23 Brigid September 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm

A post-run breakfast potluck sounds like such a blast!