One On One

by Meghann on August 31, 2012

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

You can tell summer is almost over when you arrive at the pool at 6:30am and it’s empty. The afternoons are another story, high school swim practice and the fall masters’ teams have taken over the pool, making it impossible to find more than two lanes for our group to swim in. However, all of the rec leagues that the high schoolers swam in over the summer no longer have their early practices and triathlon season is winding down for all the early morning triathlete swimmers. The pool was shockingly empty when we pulled up – enough for all 6 of us to have our own lanes if we wanted.

I ended up sharing with Mary in case any new swimmers did come and wanted a lane of their own. We started with a 400 warm-up, then 10 x 100s with a full pull kit (paddles, pull buoy, foot strap) and 15 seconds rest. After the pulls, Mary and Marcus had to go, so while Courtney helped out our new teammate Chris, our coach (Felipe) took me on as his special project of the day.

The one-on-one with our coach was actually pretty sweet. He swam 50 yards at a time with me and pointed out a few things that I was doing wrong. He’s pointed those things out before, but now that it was just the two of us – and he could really take the time to explain what each of the corrections meant – a lot of the stuff actually started to make sense. I could feel myself improving with each set and about 4 50s in, he said I was 95% there.

Of course, after I reached that 95% perfect stroke point, he jinxed me. He told me I had almost nailed it and if I could do it one time, then I could keep doing it over and over again. Telling me I was on the edge of perfection and that it should be a piece of cake to repeat that, caused me to think too much and I lost it. Grr… That ALWAYS happens, I get so close to something, then someone tells me I’m great, and I lose it. Don’t tell me I’m great. Keep telling me I need to work harder – I seem to respond better that way.

Still, I was happy with practice. I got a sense of what the proper rotation should feel like and have a little better understanding of how to achieve that. Let’s hope that all transfers to next practice. :)

I kept breakfast simple.

I’m going to be sad when peaches go out of season, I’ve really been enjoying them lately. Especially on top of toast with almond butter, flax seed, and walnuts.

Something that surprised me today – the Wild Mountain Blueberry K-cups are actually delicious.

Green Mountain had sent me the K-cups earlier this month to try. I’ll admit I was really nervous to try them. I’ve never had a fruity coffee and wasn’t sure I was going to like it. In fact, I had pretty much already determined that the coffee would be bad. The k-cups had been on my countertop for weeks and I hadn’t been tempted to try them at all.

I’m not sure why I was feeling extra brave today, but I decided to give it a go. You know what? It wasn’t bad. I would actually go as far to say that it was pretty good. I’m not sure I would buy them on my own, but I have no problem finishing the rest of the package of K-cups or drinking a cup at a friend’s house if offered. Huh. I guess the saying really is true – don’t knock it, ’til you try it.

What’s something you’ve tried lately that you weren’t expecting to like, but surprisingly enjoyed?

1 Elisabeth August 31, 2012 at 9:56 am

Those K cups are a favorite around our house :)

2 Hillary August 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

I hate admitting this, but I’m currently having a love-hate relationship with Fifty Shades of Grey. The writing is awful, but I’ve read the first two books in about a week and a half.

3 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full August 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

The wild mountain blueberry K-cups are my favorite! I’m always super excited when we get that kind at the office. I think they’re best with at least cream, though, instead of black.
Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full recently posted..Festive for Friday…N-sta N-boy

4 KatieTX August 31, 2012 at 10:56 am

My husband bought the blueberry K-cups for me earlier this week. I had a cup this morning. I love it! Kind of jealous you got them for free…

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

Lol I tried those K-cups and didn’t like them. Granted, I don’t really like any flavored coffee…. Haha. And I’m glad you got some one-on-one time with your coach! You are going to rock the swim section of this triathlon!

6 Simone August 31, 2012 at 11:07 am

I made a spinach frappuccino yesterday… well at least my version of a frappuccino, I was more than a little skeptical but to be honest I preferred my version which is great for 2 reasons: healthier and cheaper, win win!
Simone recently posted..Pick me up

7 Candice August 31, 2012 at 11:07 am

I recently made Overnight Oats and I thought I was going to dislike the consistency, but they are so good and so easy to make. Happy Friday!!
Candice recently posted..Favorite Things Friday: Double Digit Training Run!

8 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 31, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Red cabbage!! I was SO hesitant to try it, now it’s pretty much a daily staple. I love grilling it with the rest of my veggies for lunch/dinner.

Ps. I feel your frustration about the technical corrections. It used to happen to me all the time when I was a rower and the coaches would work on our technique individually. As soon as they’d say “You’ve got it!”, I’d totally lose it. Total jinx. haha. Bummer! But you become more aware of what the change felt like and you’re far more conscious to apply it from then on in. Keep it up! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Friday Favourites — My favourite posts of the week

9 Annette @FitnessPerks August 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm

YAY for getting it down-you’re almost there!

Something new I tried recently–sleeping IN during the week! ;) LOVE it.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Recovery From A Half IronMan Triathlon–Info For Your Next Race

10 Robin August 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I watched a YouTube video yesterday in order to help me with my stroke. At the beginning of my swim workout today, I felt like it really slicked and I was swimming some pretty fast splits. By the end, I was tired and resorting back to my lazy ways and slowed down. Sigh. :) Swimming is such a different sport than running for me.
Robin recently posted..Scared of Injuries

11 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer August 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I was the same way with the blueberry cups… Thought it would be weird, but ended up loving them!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..August Foodie Pen Pal Reveal

12 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Ive seen those K-Cups and have been curious about them- Just afraid to spend the $$ on a box and not like them. :/ Right now Im having a love/hate relationship with coupon-ing!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Best Damn Race

13 Steph @ 321delish August 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I bought Green Mountain coffee when we were in VT. LOVE IT! I haven’t had the blueberry thought; sounds interesting!

14 Danielle @ A Sense of Balance September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I actually just tried the Green Mountain Blueberry at work last week. The office got a free sample pack and I tried that on a whim, and it was delicious. Then I pulled 2 more out and hid them in my desk. :-)
Danielle @ A Sense of Balance recently posted..Late Night Fitness Survey