Are you ready for some football?

by Meghann on August 30, 2012

It’s back!

College football!

There aren’t many team sports I enjoy watching on TV, but college football is something I can get behind. I’d like to think my FSU roots have something to do with that. :)

The only problem is that sometimes I forget how young these guys are. Like when the announcer just wished one of the players a “Happy 21st Birthday” or when Derek told me #90 was only 19. When did college football players turn into babies?

Which college team do you root for?

I think my answer is pretty obvious.

Go Noles!

Of course, between Saturday college football, Sunday NFL, Monday night football, and the fact that Derek joined a fantasy football league (he was at a “drafting party” for four hours last Sunday), I’m afraid I may never get my fiance out of the house again.

Any other football widows out there?

n5216559_33415808_7604.jpg

(one of my favorite photos ever – shhhh….. don’t talk to Derek when the Noles are in trouble.)

One more.

hehe

And I’m done.

Lunch!

I’m promise that’s not grass on my leftover pizza. It’s just a piece of spinach hanging off the end. No biggie.

Cucumber totally goes with pizza. Cool and refreshing to complement the hot and heavy, right?

Check out this dinner.

I stuffed chicken breast with a combination of basil, wilted spinach, and goat cheese, then topped the chicken with sun dried tomato pesto, and baked everything at 375 for 25 minute. It was amazing. You can really never go wrong with goat cheese stuffed chicken. The goat cheese keeps the breast nice and moist. The pesto also gave a nice additional boost of flavor.

I sauteed some green zucchini on the side.

*side note* I had a revelation at the grocery store on Tuesday – if you buy zucchini, that doesn’t mean you have to buy yellow squash, too. I used to buy a package of zucchini AND a package of yellow squash because I thought that’s what you had to do. (the zucchini and yellow squash both come pre-packaged at my Publix) Then I would just end up with a lot of summer squash that would sometimes go bad before I used it all. On Tuesday I just bought the package of zucchini, and you know what? I didn’t miss the yellow at all. Not sure why I always thought that you needed both to complete the set.

There was a steam-in-bag potato/veggie mix on the plate too.

I had a Dancing Deer brownie from the HLS swag stash with some vanilla ice cream for dessert.

I updated the wedding page today! My bridesmaids all have their dresses – check them out!

Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Happy almost-three-day weekend! ;)

1 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Goat cheese and chicken is my favorite combo…on a bed of wilted spinach with onions and figs on top! :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..First Time Squared

2 Stacey @starpulp August 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I agree about the squash because it’s such a weird shape! It’s hard to cook evenly! (if you’ve discovered the secret I expect a post soon! Lol)
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Ferry Fest 2012

3 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles August 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Very pumped that college football is back! Even though I root on the other side for the Florida Gators, my sister is currently a Seminole and we are a house divided. :) I actually really like the campus in Tallahassee and look forward to returning October 12th for family weekend!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Two Workouts in Two Hours

4 Meghann August 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

We are a house divided too. My twin brother went to UF and my sister and I went to FSU. My parents used to try to keep it even between us, but now that we’ve all graduated they are total Gators. oh well. :)

5 Brit August 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Haha football widow! I’ve never heard that term, but yeah, describes me to a T :) The very first gift my boyfriend ever gave me was a book entitled, “Get Your Own Damn Beer, I’m Watching the Game: The Girl’s Guide to Loving Football.” As I opened it, he said, “You better learn this stuff if you’re going to stick around.” Ah, love.
Brit recently posted..How many times can Brit drop something in her kitchen today?

6 Meghann August 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Ha! Classic! Don’t tell Derek that book exists, I might find it under the Christmas tree this year.

7 Jen August 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Bulls fan here! USF alum 04 :)

8 Courtney August 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I am crazy for goat cheese and fresh figs right now!
Courtney recently posted..Snot Buckets

9 Meghann August 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

That sounds delicious! I was all set to buy the figs on sale at the store last week, but none of the figs looked fresh. Hoping to pick some up this week.

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 30, 2012 at 10:28 pm

My college didn’t have a football team. In fact, the only sports team we had was a hockey team and even that was just a “kinda sorta” team. So I don’t really cheer for any team in particular but funny thing is, my dad just turned on some college football on the TV in the hotel room.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Staying Healthy While On the Go

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 30, 2012 at 10:45 pm

lol I’ve also finally stopped buying the yellow squash after realizing I just didn’t like it! Zucchini all the way! My college team is Mizzou (didn’t go there but a lot of my family did) and my NFL team is the Chiefs!!!

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Love goat cheese on anything – chicken included.

I made stuffed chicken breasts last weekend, and it made me realize how much better it is than plain chicken breasts. Will definitely be doing that more often!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..And It’s Done.

13 Michelle in Michigan August 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Hubby is a Miami graduate and HUGE ‘Canes fan, over the years I have become one too!!! Go ‘Canes!!!!

14 Meghann August 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

My twin bro graduated from Miami Med School in ’11!

15 Dawn August 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I knew I liked you for some reason :) GO NOLES!!!! I almost bought goat cheese last weekend to give it a try, but I chickened out. Maybe this weekend I will buy some.

16 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 31, 2012 at 12:10 am

I got sucked into college football my freshman year at Purdue (Drew Brees was our QB!). Now we have our grad school (Virginia Tech), my husband’s undergrad (Clemson), and my new grad school (Tennessee) to cheer for. We’re a football family here!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Running Shorts Sunday!

17 Yo Momma Runs August 31, 2012 at 12:46 am

That stuffed chicken looks amazing. I’m seeing a giant container of goat cheese in my future.
Yo Momma Runs recently posted..Shawntel Jones 5K, August, 25 2012

18 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 31, 2012 at 4:45 am

Your pizza looks absolutely delish! I’m pretty excited for college football, too. I’m currently finishing up my PhD at Clemson, so I root for them, Georgia Tech when they’re not playing Clemson because that’s where my boyfriend got his PhD and I have to support him, and Iowa State because that’s where my parents went and I grew up cheering for them.

Have a great long weekend!
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..More (7!) Yasso 800s

19 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 31, 2012 at 7:26 am

That stuffed chicken sounds great! I’ve actually never had goat cheese before. I’d like to try it though :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Mrs. Dash Chicken Primavera!…

20 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 31, 2012 at 7:34 am

Left-over pizza = pretty much the best thing ever. Pretty sure that left-over pizza may just be the only sequal that is more awesome than the original. (Although, I have to admit, I’m a huge fan of day-old cake as well … hmmm.)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..11 x 11

21 Faith @ The Cheap Girl's Guide to Chic August 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

I always joke that in my house, I’m the one doing the football widowing. I’m a hardcore Pro lover…but college isn’t quite my thing. I watched the UCF game last night since it’s my boyfriend’s Alma Mater, but the only college ones I watch on my own volition are U of M. Go blue!

22 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

My college’s football team was TERRIBLE! I think we won 1 game in all the years I was there. My Senior year they actually dissolved the team because it was costing the school too much money. My boyfriend however went to Boston College, so they’re crazy about their football. The first home game is tomorrow so I’m having my first tailgating experience this weekend (I skipped out on it last year)!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Foodie Penpals Reveal Day

23 Silvina August 31, 2012 at 9:07 am

Ha ha I love that picture with you and Derek at an FSU game – he looks like he’s going to cry! Poor guy!

I love the passion that college footballs bring out of people – I root for my alma mater the UCF KNIGHTS!

GO KNIGHTS!

24 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

Go gators!! ;P
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..A Peek Inside

25 Emily N August 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

Football widow in the fall, golf widow in the summer. I think that’s why I picked up marathoning. To pass the time.

We’re both Bearcats and love them, UNLESS they are playing the Buckeyes. :)
Emily N recently posted..Productive & My New Newtons

26 Meghann August 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I’m a baseball widow in the summer :)

27 Erin @ erinberries August 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

I’m a Texas Aggie fan. I’m really excited to see us play all new teams this year in the SEC. However, I’m a little sad to have us not play the schools that all my friends go to and the schools we’ve played forever. New traditions, I guess! :)
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Food and Fitness Tracking Gadgets to Try

28 Katy Widrick August 31, 2012 at 11:23 am

I honestly credit a lot of the success of my marriage to the fact that we are BOTH die-hard sports fans…any sport, any time. So it’s never a struggle to watch on TV or go to a game :)
Katy Widrick recently posted..Five for Friday

29 Victoria @ Running Peanut August 31, 2012 at 11:44 am

Definitely not a football widow here. I’m as big of a football fan as he is, although we are a house divided. He’s a Gator and I pull for Alabama, even though Florida is my grad school. Gotta go for the undergrad!

ROLL TIDE!
Victoria @ Running Peanut recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals

30 Rachel August 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Big UK fan, but football isn’t our forte…soooo in our household it’s nfl and we have a party every sunday. Go Bills!
Rachel recently posted..wednesday night

31 Samantha Angela August 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm

My husband watches NFL and also coaches high school football so I could be considered a football widow during the season.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Baking for the Harrow Fair

32 amyt August 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm

LOVE this time of year!!!!! GO NOLES!!! We are going to a few of the games – can.not.wait!!!!