more ยป" />

On My Mind

by Meghann on August 29, 2012

Five Things:

1. I’ve decided to dive into the Women’s Health Wedding Day Workout program. I completed workout A last week and did workout B this morning. Realizing I need to legitimately track my progtess to keep myself interested (a la NROLFW), I’m creating some excel spreadsheets to track everything and hope to “officially” start next week. This plan should keep me regularly strength training for 8 weeks, then the plan is to dive into CrossFit for the two months leading up to the wedding. Well, that’s the plan anyway,

2. I am completely addicted to Hunger Games on tape.. err.. ipod. I’m finding it hard to put down and am finally starting to realize what all the fuss is about. Also, love multitasking with the audiobook version. I could listen to the book while strength training at the gym. Two birds, one stone.

200px-Hunger_games.jpeg

3. This one’s for Courtney – yes, ricotta made an appearance for breakfast this morning.

“Cannoli” Cereal

• Granola
  • Ricotta Cheese
  • Raspberries
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Almond Butter

Courtney likes to joke that I add ricotta cheese to everything. Well, that’s because ricotta cheese goes with everything. It has a nice mild flavor that really works well with any pairing. I’m a fan (especially when you sweetened it up a bit so it resembles a cannoli filling)

4. Registration for the Best Damn Race opens on Friday.

Screen shot 2012-08-29 at 9.57.53 AM.png

A friend of a friend is putting this race on and the concept is genius, really. Registration starts at $1 on Friday and will steadily rise from there.

5K

100-250 = $35
251-500 = $55
500+ = $65

Week of Race & On-site Registration = $80
(if available)

1/27 – 2/2

Talk about a way to encourage runners to register early. I’m pretty sure I will be at my computer the minute it opens and even joked that I would pay for a few friends’ registrations as well. At $1 a piece, it’s my gift to them.

The race also promises:

• Best Damn FREE Beer/Food/Massages
  • Best Damn Finisher Medal & Certificate
  • Best Damn Goodie Bag
  • Best Damn Post Race Party & More!

Umm… I’m pretty sure you had my attention at $1 registration fee, but I’ll take the “best damn” of everything else – no problem.

If you’re interested, the Best Damn Race is the weekend of February 1st-2nd in Safety Harbor, FL. More information can be found HERE.

5. Republican National Convention

RNC-2012-at-Tampa-Bay-Forum-jpg.jpeg

I’ve had a few questions about the RNC being in town. Truthfully, most of the RNC peeps are staying in St. Pete (who wouldn’t want to turn a national convention into a beach getaway?) or South Tampa. I live no where near any of those areas, so I haven’t had any random celebrity sightings or had to deal with traffic.

I think people forget how small of a city Tampa is (I mean, we’re a decent sized city, but not big by any means), so South Tampa/ Downtown is a mess right now. The RNC brought in 100,000+ people and a while slew of additional security. I went running in the area on Sunday and could see where they had started to block everything off. I think I’m happy staying on my end of town, away from all the craziness.

However, it is kind of cool to see parts of Tampa pop-up on CNN, or read the articles on what the news sources think people in the RNC should do while they’re in town (makes me giggle some of the restaurants they’re recommending, though I was happy to see The Refinery get a shout out! love that place.)

I think that’s it!

What’s on your mind today?

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna August 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

that best damn race sounds freakin’ awesome!!

i’ve never put ricotta cheese in my breakfasts and usually just stick with putting it in italian pasta dishes. but that breakfast bowl is looking delicious!

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

I wish I could do that race! I’d do anything for $1 registration fee, that’s awesome!

3 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

Sooooo I know that you are PLL fan…. did you watch the season finale last night?!?!?! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I don’t want to talk about it too much in case you have not watched it yet!)

4 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

Don’t give it away!!! I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but I plan to this afternoon!!

5 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ah you are going to just about pass out from the intensity! Can’t wait to hear what you think!!!

6 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 29, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I literally gasped out loud at the season finale of PLL. Im lame. :D

7 Carolyn August 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

So which friend of a friend is putting on the best damn race. I’m so there. Probably at the 10k distance for a post-baby goal. And, I love Safety Harbor. Have you and Derrick been yet? It’s such a cute (but VERY small) downtown.

8 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

It’s Beth’s friend. She told us about it at swim practice a couple of weeks ago. Come to think of it, I think she was one who volunteered to pay for all of our race fees. :) I think I’ve been to Safety Harbor, I feel like all those cute little towns all seem to run together.

9 Carolyn August 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

My guess was Beth given that her and Elton put on the race this summer. What time does registration open? I can’t seem to find that.

10 Tara August 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

I absolutely love ricotta…with anything or plain by itself…so good!! I have been wanting to experiment with some ricotta pancakes lately!! Yummy!!

11 Caitlin August 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

OMG the cannoli bowl looks so decadent and delish! The raspberries especially look so juicy and now I am craving them, thank you haha
I read The Hunger Games and am currently waiting for the 2nd and 3rd books to be free from friends or at the library to borrow because I’m too cheap to buy any books, but I’m excited to read them. I definitely liked how it was a fast-paced, easy to read story that kept me wanting more. I’m not a fan of that genre in general but these books are so quick to get through and find out what happens that I am making an exception!

12 Erin @ erinberries August 29, 2012 at 11:16 am

Do you recommend any other audiobooks? I’ve been thinking about getting into one when I’m in traffic on the way home from work.

13 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

Tons! I recently listened to On The Island – great book! Also, Great Gatsby was on sale on iTunes for $1.95 and I got Shoe Addicts Anonymous for $5.95. Check out the audiobook section on Itunes and look at the weekly deals, otherwise the library is a great resource for audiobooks that you can reserve online, but those usually have a wait for the good ones.

14 Liz August 30, 2012 at 2:20 am

I read On the Island – LOVED it! :D

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

On my mind today is maintaining my composure when I have to say goodbye to one of my best friends today. I’m moving today and it’s actually starting to hit me.

16 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

Good luck! Moving is always tough when it comes to saying good bye to friends. Sending good vibes your way!

17 Lisa in IL August 29, 2012 at 11:29 am

so I just google mapped the best damned race and I’m thinking I just might change my vacation dates. We usually go to Sea Grove the last week of February to visit my parents maybe I’ll have to go the first week instead. Looks like a 6 hour drive hmmmmmm.

18 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

I think every race should adopt that registration policy. $1?!?! Man, I’d take a February vacation to run a race for $1! I would also probably run a race every weekend if I could register for that kind of price…and I would spend my entire life in front of a computer so I could always be one of the first 19 haha.

19 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Your breakfast looks fabulous! Yum!!
Soooo not surprised you’re addicted to The Hunger Games. They are seriously fabulous. You’re going to need to check out the Divergent series once you’re done. I LOVED HG, but I actually think I might actually like Divergent better (10 pages ago, I wouldn’t have said that — it goes from great to AMAZING that quickly…)

20 Emily N August 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I wish I was closer. That Best Damn Race seems pretty amazing!

21 Amanda August 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Meghann! Can you post the link to the commercial with the girl running and the guy cheering again?? (The one that Derek said was just like you two) I’ve been going through all your past posts and I can’t find it or remember what brand it was for! Thanks!

22 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Here’s the link to the post: http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/08/16/im-on-a-plane/. it’s a Suburu :)

23 Amanda August 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm

thanks!!

24 Annette @FitnessPerks August 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

1$ registration fee is GENIUS!!

25 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 29, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Love that idea for registering – probably the best way I could think of to encourage people to register early!

26 Katie @ A Full Plate August 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Being in the hospitality industry I can’t help but be glad the RNC is here in what would normally be a very slow week for us. And luckily I personally have not had to run into any crazy traffic in St. Pete. I feel bad for those who work/live in downtown Tampa though :(

27 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm

The Best Damn Race sounds like it will be a lot of fun, and you’re right, the registration fee structure is really interesting and will get a lot of people to sign up quickly. What’s on my mind today: everything that I should be doing instead of reading blogs. ;)

28 Leanne August 29, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hi – I live in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia… and when I heard a 3pm news story on our local radio about the Republican National Convention being held in Tampa… I grinned thinking that I ‘know’ that place and someone who lives there!

29 Stephanie August 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm

That breakfast and that race sounds awesome! Can’t wait to give the ‘cannoli’ cereal a try. Might work for me tomorrow, since I am out of most of my breakfast staples!