more ยป" />

We’re Fenceless

by Meghann on August 28, 2012

Looks like the 4 mile run (+ multiple living room laps) have finally caught up to someone.

So peaceful. So quiet. So much trouble when you least expect it.

Our neighbors are having some work done in their backyard. They had to rip down the fence to put a new patio in, which gives Maddie a clear view of the construction workers from our back sliding glass door. She’s been going CRAZY all morning letting them know that A) they’re not supposed to be there, B) this is her turf, and C) she’s bigger than they are (at least, in her eyes, she is). I’ve closed the curtains, but she can still hear their voices outside. She eventually wore herself out and crashed on the couch, but every once in a while she’ll pick her head up to make sure everything is still ok.

I never really knew how much I enjoyed the privacy our fence provided until it was gone. No more taking photos of my food on my back porch in my underwear. You know… if I did that. Which I didn’t. I’m just saying, I couldn’t do that anymore if I wanted to…. awkward

Speaking of food.

(Photo taken while fully clothed and awkwardly waving at curious constructions workers)

I need to hit the grocery store. Badly. But my morning got away from me and all of a sudden it was 12:30 and I was hungry. I found a 1/4 of a red onion, 1 tomato, a carrot, and bag of kale in the fridge and decided I could do something with this.

I chopped the onion and carrot, then added it to a hot pan with a little evoo, salt, and pepper. Once the carrots and onion were soft, I added 1/2 a can of garbanzo beans and a couple of handfuls of kale. I covered the dish, let the kale steam a bit, then plated it with some cheese and the sliced tomato.

Lunch was served.

Give me a few random items and I can make a meal out of anything. Take that empty fridge! (well, not really empty, but empty enough)

New wedding post! The story behind our toasting flutes (yes, there’s a sentimental story that goes with them)

1 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ve never actually eaten kale. I am going to put it on my list of to-dos. What’s the best way to try it for the first time?

2 Meghann August 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’d say as a first timer, using it in soup is your best bet. Or cooking it as you would collard greens by boiling it. I like to steam it with apple, salt, and a bit of lemon juice to take the bitterness out of it. Some people like baking it to “chip” form, but I’m not a fan. I’d rather eat it raw than baked. Good luck!

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

That actually looks delicious! I’m loving tomatoes right now

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That actually looks delicious! I’m loving tomatoes right now. Lol and I have to remember to close my blinds a lot or everyone in the apartment building next door can see me…

5 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That salad looks amazing. I always need new ideas for how to incorporate more kale into my diet. My dog always freaks out when people are talking loudly and doing things outside, too. It’s so funny when small dogs act like they’re so tough. (My 30 lb Lassie look-alike is scaring no one.)

6 Annette @FitnessPerks August 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Nice work on pulling out a meal out of a bare fridge!

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm

It takes a certain amount of skill to make a tasty meal out of a nearly-bare fridge!

8 Chelsea August 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Looks so fancy, you’d never know it was thrown together!

9 Stephanie August 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm

That’s awesome you came away with that from an empty fridge! Yesterday I did the same with eggs, cauliflower and cheese! Now I really know what people mean when they say just throw leftovers into eggs. :)

10 Meghann August 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Actually, that sounds like it could potentially be a tasty meal!

11 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Good tip on boiling the kale with apple. I have a hard time with kale personally but I do enjoy the idea of it. :)

12 Laura August 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm

This is completely off topic.. but I just did my very first cardio kickboxing class tonight. Holy crap. I’m exhausted. Have you ever tried it? What were your thoughts?

13 Meghann August 28, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Yes! I’ve taken a couple of classes. It really depends on the instructor (I’ve had a good one and I’ve had a bad one – the bad one was pretty bad), sounds like you had a good one!