We have a name

shall…..

be….

called….

photo (3).JPG

Fido!

472020_10101237405890521_1074929760_o.jpeg

He looks like a Fido, right?

Lemme explain.

My dad has a thing for really popular dog names that aren’t actually that popular. He named our first dog Rover because he wanted to make people stop and think when they heard it. Almost always they would chuckle and go “that’s original” to which he would always reply “have you actually ever met a dog named Rover?” 10 times out of 10 they would pause and shake their head no. To this day I’ve never met another dog named Rover. Turns out my dad was pretty original after all.

I think he gets that sense of humor from my Grandma. She brought home a Boston Terrier when I was 5 or 6 and named him Bingo. I still remember my parents teaching us the song B-I-N-G-O on the way to meet Bingo for the first time. Thankfully my Grandma never grew tired of our cute faces forever singing B-I-N-G-O every time we visited her.

When we named Scooby when I was in high school, it met all of my dad’s criteria for a name. It was recognizable, but the majority of people have probably never met a dog named Scooby (I never have, but I’m pretty sure there are other Scooby’s out there). Honestly, sometimes I forget there’s a cartoon out there called “Scooby Doo.” Scooby was the only Scooby to me.

So how did we get to Fido? Well, after we had Scooby for a few months, the name Fido came out of nowhere as one of those really popular dog names that no one actually names their dogs. It was perfect, BUT Scooby was already Scooby and there was no going back. After that “Fido” became a “someday” name for the potential future dog in our family. Whenever we passed a litter of puppies or other dogs that needed a home, we would always ask mom and dad when they were bringing “Fido” home. (we really wanted them to have two dogs, but they never quite agreed with that)

We’ve had the name picked out for almost 10 years, but when they picked the puppy up on Sunday, my mom wasn’t convinced he was a Fido. She wanted to sit on it and see what happened. The rest of us? We were on board. When Ben first texted me a photo of the new puppy I immediately responded back with “Fido?” and I’m pretty sure the rest of my siblings did the same. While my parents were going through every dog name out there, we were referring to the puppy as “Fido” behind their backs waiting for it to stick. Two days later, I think it finally stuck.

Hello, Mr. Fido. Welcome to the family.

Screen shot 2012-08-28 at 9.34.00 PM.png

How did you come up with your pet’s name? Have you ever met a dog named Rover? How about Fido?

Dinner tonight was very meat and potatoes.

Well if you consider boiled yucca as potatoes (they’re in the root family after all). I also had some pan fried brussels sprouts (YUM).

Vanilla ice cream with fresh peach for dessert.

More yum.

Good night!

1 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl August 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Love pan fried Brussels sprouts!
Liz @ The Lemon Bowl recently posted..Fruit Kabobs with Ginger Lemon Yogurt Sauce

2 Molly August 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm

My family never really sought out to have a “system” like we do now in which we name our dogs. It’s just happened. It’s almost strange how it all fell into place.
We now name every dog after something my families retail store sells. First, there was Champagne. Second, Cheddar. Corkscrew (Corker for short) came next. and when I bought my lab, I knew I had to name it something we sold, but also, ironically, it must start with a C (nothing we had planned up until that point). So I went with Cohiba. What’s worse is that all the female’s names have started with CH and the males have started with CO (another thing we never planned, and that I didn’t notice until after I named mine). So I secretly have the next one picked out, whether it be a boy or girl :)
Now you have me craving a new puppy for the family! Congrats, I love the name Fido!
Molly recently posted..“In the hours of the darkest kind…

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Haha I haven’t met a dog with either of those names! When I was little and we got a chocolate lab, I wanted to name her sparkle or princess… Thank goodness my mother ignored me and named her Murphy.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

4 Emma August 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I came up with my puppy’s name because of the song that was playing on Pandora when I first saw his cute little face. I was on petfinder.com last February when “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong started to play. It was then that I came across a picture of the puppy who is now my Louie (I like “Louis” for people but for my crazy puppy “Louie” fits best). Looking at his sweet little face, I fell immediately in love and could not agree more that it really IS a wonderful world! Congratulations on the newest member of your family! Your Fido is adorable! :)

5 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Fido’s so cute! And I love your Dad’s dog name criteria!

My family got a dog on a whim as we were drivin home to Wisconsin from Colorado. My dad named him Jaxson, which contained letters/parts of each of us kids’ names–J for my brother Josh, A & X from my brother Alex’s name, and the SON came from my name–Allison. We always loved his name and thought it was so special to have parts of our name in his name!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Liebster Blog Award

6 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds August 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm

You should name your next dog Snoopy :)

7 Skye August 28, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I have never met a Rover or Fido, but I have had a Snoopy and a Scooby.

My parents named Snoopy, after I suggested Barney. Thats what happens when you ask a 3 year old for suggestions.

Scooby was taken off of a friend’s hands when they couldn’t take care of him anymore.

8 allison @ thesundayflog August 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

my dog’s name is hank. we adopted him from PAWS in philly and he came with the name, which we thought fit him perfectly. i had never met another hank, until one day we were walking and ran into a 10 week old bulldog puppy and his mom tried to pull him away saying, “come on hank!” it was pretty exciting to know there were two hanks out there.
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..From the Kitchen: Pumpkin Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Cinnamon Chips

9 emily August 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I named my dog before we ever met him but thankfully it is perfect for him. I have wanted a little brown dachshund named Webster for years. Next I want to get him tan female frenchie girlfriend named Merriam.
emily recently posted..Hot Dog!

10 Jaclyn August 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm

We named our one dog Rio (where my husband and I met) and Dublin (a city we visited together).

11 Erin @ erinberries August 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

You know, now that you mention it! I can’t think of any dogs named Fido or Rover!

My boyfriend and I are thinking about dog names right now for our next puppy! We are stuck between Maggie and Reesie.
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Healthy Snack Ideas

12 Carly August 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm

My cats name is Scot, and the fact that it is Scot with one t vs. Scott with 2 t’s is very important! It’s a huge, long inside joke between my brother and I, but I couldn’t imagine my cat being named anything else. Beyond the inside joke, I just think human names for animals are hilarious. If my cat had been a girl her name would have been Karen.

I love your Dad’s criteria for naming dogs. It’s true, I’ve never met a Fido, Rover, or Bingo! (Have met a Scooby :))

13 Tracey S August 28, 2012 at 11:40 pm

We named our oldest (DeeDee) after the sister in Dexter’s Laboratory. Our second is Daffnee, oddly enough, from Scooby Doo. And, no, we don’t have any kids, yet. Just big kids ourselves, I guess!

14 pluvk August 29, 2012 at 12:38 am

That’s so funny! Your dad is absolutely right… Fido, Rover… those are common dog names but I’ve NEVER met a Fido nor a Rover. Not even a Scooby! I gotta start rethinking animal names. :-)

15 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 29, 2012 at 12:38 am

We named our dog Koda because we had watched the movie “Brother Bear” the night before and we thought it was a cute-but-not-too-cute-tough-but-not-too-tough-super-fun name. She definitely lives up to it with her lively bear cub-like nature. :)

I think Fido suits him. Small name but big shoes — I think he can handle it! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Xtreme X-training Workout

16 Kat @ Balance & Spice August 29, 2012 at 2:23 am

We named our dog Chewbacca before we even met her. In fact, a year and a half before we got her, Anthony and I would go for walks in the park and pretend (s)he was with us. Of course, after we got her, we called her Chewy, but she looks and acts like Chewbacca (very funny and protective, in a cute, 6 pound non-agressive kind of way). The best part is, she was born on May the 4th, aka May the Fourth be with you, aka NATIONAL STAR WARS DAY! She was meant to be. I think we’ll dress her up just like Chewy for Halloween.
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..An Ablogogy

17 carol August 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

Fido is a beauty!

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 29, 2012 at 7:09 am

Awwww!!!! He is so cute! :) We named our family dog Oliver after the orange cat in Oliver and Company. It was just fitting with Oliver’s personality.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Eat, Drink & Be MARRIED!!…

19 Danielle @ A Sense of Balance August 29, 2012 at 7:24 am

Oh my, he’s ADORABLE. Teeny puppies always make me want one, but my big lug is a handful on his own.

I’ve never met a Rover or a Fido. I have a Henderson, not “popular” but I’ve never met one of those either. And truthfully, that was his name at the shelter, and he looked like a Henderson, so I kept it. My dad calls him Beaufort now, and sometimes Brutus. He could be either of those too, but no going back on Henderson. Both are names I’ll keep on tap for any future dogs tho. :-)
Danielle @ A Sense of Balance recently posted..Close Call

20 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes August 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

We rescued our greyhound Zelda after her racing career was over, so we didn’t get to name her. Interestingly enough, my mom knew she was “our dog” when she found out her name was Zelda. (My mom loves F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Zelda was his wife’s name.) The saying “what’s in a name” really means a lot!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..An Unexpected Change

21 Adrienne August 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

I, too, got my dog from a rescue, so I didn’t name him. However, the name is perfect for him. He’s a pug and his name is Sebastian :) Everyone gets a kick out of such a prestigious name for a pug

22 Kathy August 29, 2012 at 8:36 am

Yea…your dad is right…I have never met a dog named Fido, Scooby, or Rover! ;-)

23 Rachel August 29, 2012 at 9:01 am

When we were looking at dogs to adopt there was a golden retriever named Bourbon, and I thought that was cleaver. So Bill and I started thinking of our favorite bourbons that would make a good dog name. Woodford was hands down the winner. Our brittany spaniel we ended up adopting definitely looks like a woodford. Our 3 year old nephew calls him Woofy :)
Rachel recently posted..cravings

24 Laura August 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

Fido is so adorable! Even my husband caught a glimpse of him on my iPad and asked to see more pics of his cuteness. We named our basset Roy – strangely after my husband’s great uncle. They have a special bond now!

25 GM August 29, 2012 at 9:33 am

Our first puppy’s name was “Jacque Phideaux” and yes he was a minature poodle :-)

26 GM August 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

OOPS… that is “Jacques Phideaux, II” :-/
He was AKC registered, and someone had come up with the name first.

27 Nanci August 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

He totally looks like a Fido! And you’re right, I’ve never met a dog named Fido. Our dogs are Blue and Ozzie. We got Blue at 8 weeks old and decided on his name because he has one blue eye. Seemed perfect and I love his name. We adopted Ozzie and he already had the name so we kept it, of course. It totally suits him. We have many nicknames for them, though, and they respond to them all. Blue is also Bo0-Boos, Mr. Saucy Pants, and Baby Boy. Ozzie is also known as Bubbas, Mr. Serious, and Oswald. :)
Nanci recently posted..Blog Love: Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers

28 Sandy August 29, 2012 at 9:52 am

Fido fits him! He is just too cute!

29 Nikki T August 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

That is funny, never thought of it, but I definately have never met a Fido or a Rover!!
A friend of mine brought home a boston terrier, and named him Boston! lol…very original!
Our lab is named Bella, which means beautiful in Italian. My Italian Nana always called me that, and after she passed away and we decided to get a puppy, there wasn’t a more perfect name than Bella for her!

30 Rachel Wilkerson August 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

I like your dad’s system…we almost named our dog Bingo for that same reason!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{the life} Modern Nostalgia

31 Erin August 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

Very cute!

The first dog my husband and I adopted was named Spot. We kept the name. Just like your dad’s theory, we’ve never met another dog named Spot.
Erin recently posted..You Pick Wednesday–Brown Leather Sheath Dress Three Ways

32 Laura August 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Love the puppy name! Fido is German for “Dog.” My puppy also has a German name, Franzy! :) What a neat idea your Dad has about naming pets…
Laura recently posted..Kickboxing Kicks My A$$

33 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I did not know that! Thanks for the fun tidbit. :)

34 Samantha August 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm

We recently bought a tag for our new puppy, the exact same one your parents got. It was a terrible choice! All the paint rubbed off within a month and we ended up having to get a new one. I feel like the petsmart name tags are much better than the petco- never had a problem with petsmart tags!

35 Meghann August 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’m pretty sure they got the name tag at PetSmart since that’s the only pet store in Titusville. Plus, if you look at Fido in the doggy bed photo, you’ll see it has “PetSmart” on the doggy tag. Maybe you had them backwards? :)

36 Samantha August 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I didnt even see the doggy bed tag! It must be reversed in other towns then because our fIDo tag maker is at petco! Clearly I’m still upset about my puppies tag (it was so cute with rhinestones and everything!! hence my anger ;) )

37 Meghan August 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I named Pickles, Pickles because I really wanted my very own dog and just somehow started saying oh Pickles would never do that or Pickles would love to play in the sand, until finally my dad gave in. Now he really is a Pickle. Sour at times but great in all the other ways. Haa.
Meghan recently posted..Teacher Mode!

38 jen August 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I named my kitten Franz after my favorite accordion-playing punk, Mr. Franz Nicolay of the World/Inferno Friendship Society