Wedding: My Custom Wedding Band

by Meghann on August 27, 2012

Look what I picked up last week!

Wait for it…

It’s my wedding band!

p.s. wedding bands are hard things to take photos of.

Back in early July, Derek and I did some wedding band browsing that proved to be very educational. After trying on several styles of rings, I decided a sapphire/ diamond band worked best with my engagement ring.

The following weekend I discovered this old necklace at my parents’ house.

It was a gift they had given me my junior year of high school and I loved it so much at the time, that I wore a kink into it. The necklace never sat quite right on my neck after the kink developed, so I retired it to my jewelry box for the next 10 years. When I re-discovered it, I immediately started to wonder if there was a way I could possibly turn this necklace into my wedding band.

I brought it to a local jeweler the next week and we discussed what I wanted done. Since it was a basic customization, the estimate to get it done wasn’t anything crazy. They gave me a 4-6 week time table and I left the necklace in their capable hands.

4.5 weeks later, I got a call that the ring was ready. It was gorgeous, but not yet perfect.

My engagement ring has a square/flat band and the band on the new ring had more of a round, curved edge. I was sure they were going to tell me it was my error for not telling them that detail up front or try to charge me for the extra work, but they were really sweet about the whole thing and were even the ones who suggested they fix it. This time I left my engagement ring with them (for a whole 2 weeks!) so they could make sure everything lined up perfectly.

This time, the rings came back looking like a set.

See? Perfect!

The only sad part is I have to wait a full four months until I can wear my band full time. Boo.

I’ve tried wearing it around the house, but Derek thinks it’s bad luck. Is that true?

1 Emily August 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Gorgeous! I love the way it turned out 😀

(and yes! bad juju. Leave it in the box!)
Emily recently posted..Motivation: That ARThletic Girl

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

What a gorgeous ring! BOTH of them. And I love how you were able to reuse an old necklace. What a brilliant idea!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Whiskey & Frosting

3 Miranda @ Biting Life August 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love how it came out!! I was so excited to finally see what it looked like it. I thought your necklace-to-ring idea was awesome. It’s neat because, since the necklace is from your parents, it’s kind of like you have a little bit of your parents in your wedding ring, which I think is so sweet.

I don’t really believe in things being bad or good luck, but I don’t know… I don’t think I’d risk it with this one 😉

4 Melissa August 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

very pretty! I want to get a band for my right hand which has sapphires in it. I wore my band a few times after we brought them home before the wedding, but then again the bands were only ready about 2 weeks before the wedding! I think its not bad luck as long as you don’t leave the house with it on 😉

5 meghan August 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’ve heard it’s bad luck. My husband wouldn’t let me wear mine and in fact hid them so I wouldn’t be tempted.

6 Angela August 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, my fiance hid my band too, but then he got his and kept putting it on so I had to hide his! LOL

7 Dione August 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I LOVE how it turned out! It’s so sweet that something your parents gave you when you were young will be with you through your entire marriage.
In regards to wearing your ring now…not sure if it’s “bad luck” but trust me, just wait! It’s so awesome wearing it once you are married and makes it that much more special.

8 Jameil August 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

You guys have been together a long time. I think your luck is safe!

9 Amy August 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Agreed! I think these superstitions are so silly.

10 Coco August 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

It came out beautifully! It is definitely different – which I love :) I don’t know if wearing your band is bad luck before the wedding, I’ve just heard that letting someone else try your ring on is bad luck..
Coco recently posted..In case you’ve been wondering…

11 Dori August 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I really love how your ring turned out. Yeah, no wearing until you’re married!
Dori recently posted..I Did Not Inherit the Cool Genes, or the Cool Jeans

12 Karla August 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it! I don’t know if it’s bad luck, but I can tell you that I tried mine on ALL-OF-THE-TIME before my hubby and I got married. I got the ring in November and we were married in July, so I had plenty of time to admire it! :) Now, we are more in love than ever so, I’m thinking it was good luck!

13 Laura @ sweatingforit August 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

My husband fussed at me every time I would try on my wedding band before the wedding! But I did it anyway.

It looks beautiful and it’s so special that it can be your something old, something new, and something blue!
Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..Another one bites the dust

14 kirsten August 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm

looks really nice! i love sapphires too! :)

15 Sarah August 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Yay!!! It looks AMAZING!!! Kind of nice when things are just meant to be 😉

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hahaha when I read the title I was thinking band as in music! Although it doesn’t play music, it sure is beautiful and fits your engagement ring perfectly!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..GOTR Coaches Training!

17 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Gorgeous!! And what a great story behind it (rolling all of your loved ones into one piece), which makes it all the much more special!!

Leave it in the box!!!!!! Not that I believe in bad luck, but the situation is just screaming DON’T DO IT! Four months isn’t that long — you’ll be able to wear it every single moment of every single day of the rest of your life after that!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Selfishness vs. Selflessness

18 BroccoliHut August 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Your wedding band turned out lovely! It makes for such a pretty and unique set.
I was just telling Seth the other day that I was really excited for our wedding bands to come in (we ordered them a few weeks ago), and he was like, “Why? It’s not like you can wear it yet.”
Why do boys have to ruin our fun?
BroccoliHut recently posted..Chocolate-Banana Frozen Yogurt

19 Aly August 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I love your wedding band!! As a wedding gift my husband got me a sapphire ring that I wear stacked with my engagement ring and band – I’m a big fan of the blue stones.
Aly recently posted..This chalkboard sticker is the perfect spot to jot down…

20 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Pretty! And yes, I think it’s bad luck :). My fiance kept my band at his house while we were engaged. I was only allowed to look at it.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

21 Julie August 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

LOVE it and that’s awesome that they fixed it for you. It’s so nice how sentimental the band is :-)
Julie recently posted..Sea of Tissues

22 Eliana August 28, 2012 at 12:02 am

Your band is gorgeous! I ‘m getting married in November and just got mine. I want to wear mine around the house too but my fiance says it’s bad luck too!

23 Kate August 28, 2012 at 1:00 am

So beautiful! But yes, don’t wear it just yet! My friend took hers off to wash her hands at home and thought she lost it for a few minutes- not the kind of prep you need for the big day!

24 Dana August 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

Looks great! I don’t know if it’s bad luck to wear it, but I would wait. Since you already live together and not a ton will change after the wedding it’ll be nice to have that one very symbolic thing that’s new in your daily routine to remind you that you’re a married lady!

25 Laura August 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

It’s really beautiful. when I saw the necklace I thought to myself, it’s your something old and something blue. your wedding band is stunning and I’m excited for you!
Laura recently posted..You can’t go wrong with Mr Wong!

26 Emily @ Relishments August 28, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love your wedding band! My (to be) in-laws kept custody of our wedding bands until the big day so there was no way I could try mine on for fun :( Then again, I also didn’t need to remember to actually bring them to the wedding, his parents did!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Highlights: Food in the News (Part 3)

27 Anne P August 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Gorgeous!! :)
Anne P recently posted..Cape May Adventures, Part 2!

28 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’ve always thought a custom set would be so cool….possibly with some of my grandma’s jewelry. I love sapphires and your set is gorgeous! I think it’s okay if you wear it around the house. Just don’t missplace it with all of the putting on and taking off. 😉
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently bomb & food this or that

29 Tabitha August 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I think it turned out great! My wedding band is one of my mom’s rings redone, so i love that you also used a piece of jewelry that was special to you… i think it means a little more. Now, keep that ring in the box until you get married!

30 Lindsay August 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Just curious about what kind of stones are on the band. Are those real sapphires and diamonds? And what kind of metal did you use for the band?

31 allison @ thesundayflog August 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm

love it! hope you saved the rest of the necklace to make a matching band for the other side :) anniversary present??
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..From the Kitchen: Pumpkin Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Cinnamon Chips

32 Deva @ Deva by Definition August 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Love it! it looks perfect with your engagement ring, so fun!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..With (few) Words

33 Erin @ erinberries August 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm

It might be bad luck to wear the wedding band around the house. I think it’s kind of like it’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. Or kiss your fiance on the day of the wedding before the “I do’s” have been said.
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Healthy Snack Ideas

34 Brittney September 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm

What I think is funny is how perfectly your favorite old necklace matched your engagement ring. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and to me, that necklace was created to be turned into your wedding band! It was just meant to be :) I love it!

35 jen September 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I put my wedding band on a bunch of times before we got married, and it wasn’t bad luck at all :)

Your rings look lovely together!
jen recently posted..The Beach is Magical

36 Alane Jewel December 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Love your wedding band. Sapphires are so perfect for wedding rings. I love gemstones in jewelry and what that pop of color does combined with diamonds and a nontraditional ring look. Beautiful gemstone engagement rings are def winning the hearts of brides-to-be everywhere: