A new member of the family

by Meghann on August 27, 2012

Say hello to the new puppy.

We’re still looking for a name. Any ideas?!

My parents brought the new pups home yesterday afternoon. They were “just looking,” but when they drove up and saw his face waiting in the yard – how could they say no? It was love at first sight.

The same thing happened with Presley.

What? We’re bonding here!

When Scooby passed away last Monday, both of my parents were at a loss. For the first time in 27 years their house felt empty. My youngest brother was the last of my siblings to move out this past February, and without Scooby, they realized for the first time they were on their own. The house was quiet – too quiet – and they didn’t like it.

We all grieve and move on from loss in different ways. My dad dove into researching puppies online. He found a few that he liked, but then he saw this little guy and his photo instantly melted my dad’s heart. He was perfect in every way, and he was the very last puppy left standing from his litter, almost like he was just there waiting – knowing my mom and dad were out there, ready to bring him home. Or that Scooby had shooed all of the other families away, knowing this little guy was the one that deserved a spot in our family.

IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

Thank you, Scooby. You did good, boy.

I have a new little brother. He doesn’t have a name yet, but we’re working on it.

And we’ve already started filling him in on his amazing older brother, Scooby.

I think they would have been BFFs.

1 Nanci August 27, 2012 at 10:42 am

He is sooo cute! Congrats on the new family member! I am sure he will be spoiled in no time. :)
Nanci recently posted..Sunday in the kitchen

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 27, 2012 at 10:42 am

Aww! Precious 😀
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Motivation on a Monday.

3 Danielle M. August 27, 2012 at 10:49 am

He looks like a “Tucker” to me!

4 jennie August 27, 2012 at 10:49 am

how about the name scrappy! scooby doo’s little nephew on the show :)

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 27, 2012 at 10:54 am

he is so freaking adorable!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Whiskey & Frosting

6 Erin August 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

He is adorable!! Best wishes to your parents and you.
Erin recently posted..J’adore weekends

7 Reenie August 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

Adorable ~ ~ I love boxers :)

8 Candice August 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

Oh my goodness! My family has had many, many boxers. Favorite breed for sure. So adorable :) Be ready for a great running partner who will tire you out!

9 Kathy August 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

OH I just got chills when I saw his face and then read that your parents brought him home….I am getting them again as I type….I love it!!!

We just named our mini-dachshund “Rudy” for his reddish coloring….that would work great for your new bro too….or of course “Shaggy” just b/c Scooby would love knowing his best buddy is there keeping your parents happy! 😉

10 Jen August 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

I was also thinking of the name Scrappy!!

11 Samantha Angela August 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

OMG He’s adorable!
Samantha Angela recently posted..Date Night: Tigers Game

12 Laurin August 27, 2012 at 11:22 am

Tyson, Lennox, Harley…

13 Beverly Aragon August 27, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’ll chime in with the others who’ve suggested Scrappy. :)

14 Elisabeth August 27, 2012 at 11:24 am

Maybe Scrappy? 😉

15 Jenn August 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

omg SO cute! I’m horrible at names so I’ll keep quiet on that front. :)
Jenn recently posted..Free Disneyland Half Marathon Poster

16 lorie August 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

I don’t know why,but he just looks like a Rufus to me!!!

17 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Oh my gosh I just want to hug him to pieces! So cute!!!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Community Love

18 Meghan August 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

I like everyones Scooby Doo theme! He also looks like a “Buddy” to me!
Meghan recently posted..Goofy, really goofy…

19 Sandy August 27, 2012 at 11:37 am

He is super cute! I am glad that your parents got a new baby to help them ease the pain they are going through with Scooby’s passing. I am sure that this one is going to bring them just as much joy as Scooby did.

20 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 27, 2012 at 11:40 am

How cute!!! Congrats! I’m terrible at thinking of names. I kept the name my dog when when I bought him. I loved it!

21 Miranda @ Biting Life August 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

Awww he looks so sweet! I’m surprised that your parents were interested in getting another one so soon, though. My parents lost a pet a few months ago, but they aren’t ready for a new one yet. I guess it’s different for everybody.
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Popcorn-ing

22 Coco August 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

OMG.. he is PRECIOUS! In keeping with the Scooby show reference.. I say Fred would be a fantastic name :) I’m certain he will fill your lives with so much happiness!
Coco recently posted..In case you’ve been wondering…

23 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 27, 2012 at 11:56 am

Aw, the new puppy is adorable! When I got my dog, I was going to name her Gatsby if I wound up getting a boy puppy. I hope your family has many wonderful years together with the new pup.
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..Lazy Sunday

24 Rachel August 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

so sad your family couldn’t help out one of these guys
Rachel recently days, injuries, and random facts!

25 Morgan August 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

When our family dog passed away 2 years ago my dad thought he would never get a dog again. When Sophie passed, my mom went out of town the next day and my sister and I were both in college so he was home alone for a couple of nights. He was so lonely and realized he needed a dog. He started researching right away. We got another dog about a month after Sophie passed and although people might think it was fast, our new dog brought life back into the house and helped heal our broken hearts. Glad your family has found this little puppy!

26 Kristina August 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

He looks like an Ike (Eisenhower).

27 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

He is such a cutie! I can’t wait to see what you name him!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..GOTR Coaches Training!

28 emily August 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I vote for Scrappy too!
emily recently posted..Bok To School

29 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

ADORABLE! Can’t wait to find out the name that is picked!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Eatzi’s…Heaven for a Foodie

30 Jessica August 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm

OMG!!! SO ADORABLE!! Boxers are my favorite! I hope you plan on posting a lot of boxer pics! 😉

31 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 27, 2012 at 12:53 pm

What an absolute sweetie!! He’s a total heartbreaker!

As for the name, I like following the theme of Scooby (in the way that you’re using a cartoon character dog), but for this little guy I like Max after the dog in The Grinch; or Gromit from Wallace and Gromit; or Sprocket from Fraggle Rock. Whatever it is, I’m sure he’ll fill his name well. :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..On a Scale of Happy-to-Healthy …

32 Colleen August 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

My husband and I did the same thing 4 years ago when our 1st child passed aways. And so did my parents last year. The quietness and not having that furchild greeting you at the door tugs at your heart so fast.

33 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm

So precious!

Naming a pet is so hard! I like Fred for a Scooby reference, although I giggled out loud when I saw the suggestion of Gromit – too funny!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Clean It Up Week.

34 Angie August 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I was thinking Shaggy or Scrappy too! Going against a theme I think he looks like a Rufus. Good luck! Thank goodness our cat from the shelter came with a name. :)
Angie recently posted..It’s Raining!

35 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh, he is just too precious! My parents swear up and down they’ll never get another dog when the one they have right now dies, but I don’t believe them for a second. My (their?) dog is pretty old–almost 12 and a half!–so I don’t know how much longer he has, but my youngest brother is also due to go off to college in 2014, and I don’t think my parents will be able to take the emptiness. (At least, I sure hope not: I want to have a dog to come home to when I visit!)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Ode to Tapering

36 alyssa August 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

37 Mary August 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I love that name! Puppy Dog looks like a Duke to me! He’ll be big and strong like one I bet and live up to that name! :)
Mary recently posted..Run Raleigh Half Marathon Race Recap

38 Katie @ A Full Plate August 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Awww what a cutie! And I agree that everyone grieves in different ways. I grew up with many cats and dogs as my “siblings” and have been through my fair share of losses. Most of the time when we lost a dog we ended up getting another dog because the other dogs seemed so sad that they had lost their playmate! I’m sure this pup will be showered with love :)

39 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails August 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Aww, too cute! So sorry to hear about the loss of your puppy, but it’s great to hear that your parents were able to find another cutie to love on!
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Reality Just Slapped Me in the Face

40 Billie August 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Are you aware that none of your B’s come out on the titles of the blog entries? This has been going on for a while now. I just hope the adorable little chap doesn’t have a B in his name. x
Billie recently posted..Update…

41 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Oh my gosh, he is SOOOOO CUTE!
Courtney recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday #4

42 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

He is soo stinking cute!!! Shaggy or Charlie
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Tabouli Grill Restaurant Review

43 Anne Weber-Falk August 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Scrappy is cute. I also like Rugby.

44 erica August 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

so cute!
i think he looks like a bruiser or buster.
erica recently posted..mix it up

45 Kelly August 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm

You should name him after one of the other Scooby Doo characters, that way he is forever connected to Scooby. Shaggy, Fred , Velma , and Daphne? I like Shaggy!

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I love Scrappy or Shaggy!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..mia’s first birthday

47 BroccoliHut August 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

What a sweet face!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Chocolate-Banana Frozen Yogurt

48 amy August 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

he reminds me of the puppy from Fox and the Hound….. so I think you should call him Copper
amy recently posted..Body Awareness

49 Danielle Dillard August 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Congrats on the new pup! Love me some boxer! I feel like when I saw this pic of him I immediately thought “Hops”… I guess as in the beer…. thought it was a cute name for him. Or maybe I just need a beer :-)

50 Tracy Schwartz August 27, 2012 at 10:12 pm

51 Lynne August 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I think he looks like a MacGyver – the adverture tv show from the late 80’s -90’s. Call him Mac!
Lynne recently posted..Thursday Thought

52 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It August 27, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Chewy, Britches, Jack, Jax

He’s sooo cute!
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Personal Training Rocks

53 Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink August 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Here’s some ideas: AJ, Oliver, Spencer, Nutella

54 Jenn Sutherland August 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Your family are truly “dog people.” When we lost our first greyhound a year and a half ago, we called the shelter two days later, with tear choked voices…but we just couldn’t handle the empty house. And a shy hound named Miracle looked straight into my eyes and chose US. So, a new canine spirit fills our home – and our hearts and their differences are as precious as the ways they remind us of our past companion. Congrats to your whole family!

55 Brooke August 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

What about Isaac or Zac for short… his first tropical storm
Brooke recently posted..An expat week

56 Carol August 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm

So cute. We’ve had lots of boxers in the family, all of whom we called after professional boxers. Therefore, I’d suggest Taylor, after Katie Taylor, or Adams, after Nicola Adams, the first women to win Olympic gold medals for boxing!

57 Fallon August 28, 2012 at 12:25 am

Too cute!!! Maybe you should name him Scrappy!
Fallon recently posted..I have an attitude..

58 Jane August 28, 2012 at 1:59 am

He looks like a Doc to me! Super cute face, but intelligent eyes!

59 Floey August 28, 2012 at 4:59 am

Cinnamon or Toasty :)

60 jill August 28, 2012 at 6:32 am

He looks like a Bruce to me! He is absolutely adorable and was waiting for your parents to give him his forever home.

61 Margaret August 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

I vote for Otis or Pudge!

62 Emily N August 28, 2012 at 10:28 am