more ยป" />

Spinners

by Meghann on August 25, 2012

Did you know in St. Petersburg Beach there’s a restaurant that spins while you eat? It sits on top of the Grand Plaza hotel and my friends, Emily and Aaron, invited us over to eat there tonight.

The Grand Plaza is one of the high contenders in their search for the perfect wedding venue (they’re in town this week checking out different venues) and the restaurant caught their attention on one of their many tours of the Grand Plaza (they’re just a teeny bit in love with it). I knew the restaurant existed, but I’d never been. It sounded like a fun experience, so why not?

IMG_9910.jpg IMG_9911.jpg

The views did not disappoint. It takes the dining area a full hour and a half to complete the full circle. During that time, diners enjoy beautiful views of the beach, the setting sun, the bay and everything in between.

The center portion and the windows of the restaurant stay still, it’s only the dining area on the outside that spins. You can actually see where the tiles are moving and have one foot standing still, while the other moves.

Like I said, the views did not disappoint. Gorgeous.

And as you rotate, different sections of the windows are marked letting you know what direction you are looking at that at that moment.

IMG_9918.jpg IMG_9921.JPG

I started the evening with a glass of their house cab.

IMG_9922.jpg

Breadsticks.

Every item on the menu comes with soup or salad. I selected the salad, which was served with a mango dressing. The salad was simple, but good. I enjoyed the mandarin oranges.

For my main dish, I ordered the blackened shrimp. They were about what I would expect from a hotel restaurant – kind of boring and unimpressive. Everything was edible, but nothing I would rave home about. I give it 2 stars out of 5.

Eh. It was fun to try Spinners once, but I’m not sure I’ll be returning. The menu was overpriced and the food only subpar. Was I expecting a little better considering the restaurants’ hype? Probably, but I think you get what you pay for – the experience of eating in a revolving restaurant with killer views at a place that is walking distance from your hotel room. I think that everything else to the hotel is a moot point – they’re selling the atmosphere here, not the food.

At least we had good company!

And we were able to catch the sunset on our way out.

Obviously, funny photos had to follow.

IMG_9978.JPG IMG_9979.JPG

Good times. :)

We had a little time to kill before dinner, so I offered to take a few “engagement photos” of Aaron and Emily (please note this was just for fun and I am in NO WAY trying to be a professional photographer). Here are a few of my favorites. :)

IMG_9838.JPG IMG_9839.JPG

Adorbs.

I’m bummed Aaron and Emily fly back to Philly tomorrow. At least we had some fun while they were in town. Come back to visit anytime, guys!

Have you ever ate at a restaurant that spins?

1 Sana August 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The pictures are super cute!!!!!! I think you prefer eating at home than out, you always seem disappointed! I love it whenever other people make my food ;)

2 RunInBoise August 25, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Awww, those “engagement photos” are so cute! And some of those sunset pics are like perfect postcards!

3 Stephanie August 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I actually have eaten at a restaurant that spins before. Pier 66 at the Hyatt in Fort Lauderdale has a spinning restaurant just like that. I went for brunch on a Sunday. The place had a waffle station, an omelet station – the works! The desserts were phenomenal too. I felt like my family needed to roll me out the door!

4 Miranda @ Biting Life August 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

Wow, what a beautiful view! Gorgeous! I ate at a restaurant that spun once, in Disney World… it wasn’t quite the same ;)

5 pluvk August 26, 2012 at 12:36 am

Those pictures are great! I think you have more professional photography skills than you think!! We used to have a rotating restaurant in our state, but it closed before I had a chance to try it out. I always thought it would be a little scary to be so high, but I’m always up to try something new!

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 26, 2012 at 12:38 am

I know those kinds of restaurants move pretty slowly, but I always fear I’d get motion sickness…is that weird?

7 j3nn August 26, 2012 at 1:24 am

Bummer about the food being subpar at Spinners, but yeah, it’s the rotating experience that is the fun part.

The engagement pics are fantastic!

8 Kathy August 26, 2012 at 6:36 am

Good job on the pics…adorbs in RIGHT! ;-)

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 26, 2012 at 6:53 am

Awww they are so cute!!! And the restaurant sounds cool, although hearing about the food I probably wouldn’t bother to go, that’s too bad!

10 Danielle @ Long May You Run August 26, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hey, those are pretty good pictures!!!

I ate at a spinning restaurant the night of my wedding. We were staying in a hotel at the Tampa Airport (the Hilton?). It was kind of cool, but half our view was of the airport… not so picturesque!

11 Kristine August 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

Sky City atop the Seattle Space Needle! Incredible views and amazing food! I highly recommend it! :-) Plus your reservation includes an elevator ride to the main viewing deck.before or after dinner.

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 26, 2012 at 8:55 am

Those are seriously cute pictures!!!

13 Debbie B. August 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

We looked at the Grand Plaza for our wedding but we were disappointed in the quality and the price that they wanted. We ended up chosing The Double Tree Beach Resort on North Redington beach. My guests loved the warm chocolate chip cookie they got on arrival and the beach was quiet.

The best spinning restaurant I ate at was with a view of Niagara falls in the Skylon Towers. It was expensive too but at least the food was really good.

14 Allison August 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Great pics? You could do wedding photography.

15 Allie August 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

When I visited St. Pete in 2010 I ate at this restaurant!! I was staying at the hotel next door (the sirata resort) and I thought it was SO cool that it spun! But, like you, I thought the food was just .. Okay.

16 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 26, 2012 at 1:36 pm

There’s a spinning restaurant in downtown Milwaukee. My mom and grandma took me to Milwaukee for a girl’s weekend for my 16th birthday–we had a blast! The view of the city at night was awesome!

17 Billie August 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

we had a revolving restaurant in Liverpool called St Johns Beacon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_City_Tower but it was so high it made me queasy. It did offer amazing views of my beautifl old city however. It is now a revolving radio station.

18 Chelsie @ Balance, not scale August 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

There is a 5-star revolving restaurant where I live in Ottawa on top of a hotel. When I was younger, they were clients of the company my Dad works for and we got to go on two occasions (one was my birthday!). I was SOOOO scared to eat there before we arrived, but it really was a fantastic experience. The food there was DIVINE though. Sorry to hear your food experience wasn’t all that fab, Meghann! Your recipes (LOVE THEM!) are so fab though, you’re spoiled with great eats the majority of the time anyway! :)

19 Katie @ A Full Plate August 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’ve eaten at Spinners once before years ago. It was before my “foodie” days so I can’t really remember how I liked the food. But wow, the views! I can’t remember, do they have a nice bar up there? May just be a good drinks place :)

Did your friends happen to look at TradeWinds at all?? That’s where I work :)

20 Meghann August 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I stayed at TradeWinds for my sister-in-law’s bachelorette party back in January! I actually asked them if they looked, but I think it was out of their budget. I wouldn’t quote me on that though.

21 Lizzie August 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I went to the spinning restaurant/bar in the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville once… I was feeling um, not so great from celebrating a friend’s birthday the night before, but luckily it didn’t spin too fast!