more ยป" />

Think Happy Thoughts

by Meghann on August 24, 2012

Do you know what’s been missing from my life for 10 days? Swimming.

I’m not the only one, apparently my teammates have all been missing from the pool, too. Marcus hurt his back, Mary was traveling with me for HLS, some of our teammates were at Nationals, we’ve been rained out this week, etc. etc. The point is, we all jumped in the pool this morning and our coach immediately noticed something was up – our technique was shot and our strokes were all over the place. We quickly learned that taking a 10 day break from the pool is NOT a good thing.

Instead of working on endurance or speed work today, Coach brought us back to day 1 with drills. We would do a few laps working on our rotations and getting our elbows up, then we would spend a few minutes out of the water practicing our strokes on dry land. This pattern went on all through practice. To be honest, I didn’t mind it. My stroke is terrible and I felt like things were actually clicking today as we focused on strokes at an easy pace. I wasn’t speedy in the water, but at least I had good form!

Post-swim I had a little fun with breakfast.

Cantaloupe topped with almond butter, granola, and walnuts.

I think it needed some yogurt, but besides that it was pretty good. :)

In Need of Happy Thoughts!

It’s been a rough week around here. Derek and I just got some not-so-great news about a friend in the hospital. We’re currently waiting to hear that everything is ok, which we’re hopeful that it will be, but you just never know.

I’m not sure I can take anymore sad news this week – only happy thoughts allowed. So, in honor of our friend, let’s send some happy thoughts her way.

What’s your happy thought?

1 Annette @FitnessPerks August 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

Yay for getting back into swimming!!

Happy thought: for the first time ever, I am competing in /racing in my first ever Half IronMan tomorrow!! AHH. Happy (and exciting & nerve wracking too) :)

Any tips?

2 Caroline August 24, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m in need of some happy thoughts today too. Between the shooting in New York and me about to leave for my friend’s funeral, it’s a sad day. a happy thought is that I’m doing my first triathlon on Sunday

3 Steph August 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

My first week of school has been the smoothest in the 9 first weeks of school I’ve taught! Great kids so far, lots of positive talk around campus. We’re making some great changes at my high poverty, title 1 school that I’m really proud of. Whether people think so or not… it’s a good time to be a teacher! :)
Sending positive vibes your way,
Steph

4 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 24, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m glad you got to work on your swimming form–it sounds like that was just what you needed. I never would have thought of putting granola on cantaloupe, but that’s a really good idea. I’ll keep you, Derek, and your friend in my thoughts–I hope s/he gets better soon.

5 Beverly Aragon August 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thinking HAPPY thoughts for you, Derek and your friend!

6 Jennifer L August 24, 2012 at 11:14 am

How about a little laughter and maybe a dare? Do you know of Ellen’s Dance Dare? You all out dance behind people, but they shouldn’t notice. It’s really funny… here’s Emma Stone doing it. If you want to lift your mood, just try it, even behind someone you know instead of a stranger. I use it sometimes when people are in a mood… it always works!

7 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh no! Hope your friend is okay!
Happy thought for the day: My good friend who had open heart surgery a few months ago (has a disorder that affects his heart muscle, second open heart surgery in his lifetime, and he’s 24) is back in town after his recovery and doing awesome!

8 Kathy August 24, 2012 at 11:56 am

Happy thought….The heart is like a treasure chest that’s filled with souvenirs; it’s where we keep the memories we’ve gathered through the years!

Happy memories are being sent your way today! ;-)

9 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward August 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Happy thoughts – You still have so much to be thankful for! Your health, family, future husband just for starters! :)

10 Angela August 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I would never think to put almond butter on cantaloupe! I’ll have to give it a try. You could put Almond butter on a shoe and I would love it so lol

11 Emily N August 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Here is some happy thoughts passed on to you… :)

12 Sarah (The Social Eater) August 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

My happy thought: every moment is a chance to really live life well (even if I didn’t the moment before).

I’m so sorry you’ve been hit with so much sadness. I hope you get flooded with happy thoughts!

13 Rebecca August 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thinking happy thoughts for you and your friend (and her baby!)

Sometimes I don’t have happy thoughts – so I have a dance party and go out for a treat!

14 Amanda August 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Sending happy thoughts your way.

15 Elizabeth August 24, 2012 at 11:24 pm

:/ best wishes for your friend! I wanted to tell you also, that cantaloupe looks amazing. I’m inspired :)