more ยป" />

You had a good run, Sophie’s

by Meghann on August 23, 2012

Let’s have a moment of silence for the dearly departed Sophie’s French Bakery & Cafe. *sniff*

I first discovered Sophie’s when I moved to Tampa over a year ago. I was on the hunt for the perfect coffee shop to work from and Sophie’s quickly landed on the top of the list. They had great drinks and a cozy, welcoming atmosphere with mismatch tables and chairs that all oddly worked. Unfortunately it was also all the way on the other side of town, so I didn’t get out to it as much as I wanted to.

Since my hair appointment got out at noon – and was across the street from Sophie’s – I got myself all pumped for an awesome post-appointment lunch and afternoon work session at one of my favorite places in Tampa. Then I walked across the street and discovered the doors were locked, all the lights were out, and half the chairs were missing. Nooooo…. say it isn’t so!

A quick check on Facebook and my worst fears were confirmed.

Screen shot 2012-08-23 at 9.28.09 PM.png

*sniff *sniff

Reading that makes me wish I had been even more supportive of one of my favorite businesses before it closed. I should have visited more, I should have ordered more drinks while I was there, and I should have encouraged more friends to go. This was an awesome place, they should not have closed!

I guess we can use this as a little reminder to continue to support our favorite local businesses and coffee shops. Remind them that you love them with a little social media love, spend some time there this weekend drinking a cup of joe (or two), and don’t take it for granted that they will always be there.

What’s your favorite local coffee shop? Say it loud and say it proud in the comments!

I left Sophie’s (or what was left of Sophie’s :( ) still hungry and at a loss on where to go. I consulted Yelp and discovered The Library on South Dale Mabry. The Library was on my list of places I’d been meaning to try, but their odd hours (they close at 3:00) always prevented me from checking them out.

The Library was small (maybe 5 tables?) and cozy. They did serve lunch, but the menu was limited to a couple of sandwiches and salad options. I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich without mayo and a side of fruit.

The sandwich was made fresh. They grilled the chicken, toasted the bread and sliced all the fruit in the matter of a few minutes. Nothing was pre-made or “prepped” and I honestly believe the sandwich tasted better because of that.

It was good, too. Served hot and kept simple.

The side of fruit was an assortment of grapes, strawberries, and orange slices. I thought the sliced grapes were a nice touch.

I wish I could rave about the iced coffee, but it tasted off.

The owner noticed I wasn’t drinking it and offered an iced tea instead. The iced tea was delicious and made up for the coffee. Honestly, I’m not sure if it was the iced coffee that was bad or if something is wrong with my taste buds. For some reason iced coffee has been tasting off to me lately (but only at certain places). It’s hit or miss, but the places that do taste off, all have that same off taste. Maybe I’m just going crazy?

I like the coziness of The Library, I just wish they were open a little later. :)

Alright. Dinner.

I like this new game that Tamara started.

Screen shot 2012-08-23 at 10.09.12 PM.png

Ummm… genius.

Monkey read – Monkey do.

I added some grated red onion and seasoned with oregano, garlic salt, and basil. Served on some arugula. I loved the addition of grated carrot to the chicken burger, I never would have thought of that, but the carrot kept the burger moist while adding some extra veggie goodness to the plate.

Paired with sweet potato rounds and freshly sliced Florida avocado.

Dessert!

Probably one of my favorite Healthy Living Summit swag bag finds, courtesy of Dancing Deer.

IMG_9556.jpg

Don’t let the “fruit + nut square” packaging fool you – these are full on blondies and they are amazing.

Alright, I’m wiped. Time for bed.

Good night!

1 RunInBoise August 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I am on the hunt to find an awesome local coffee shop. Some I like for the coffee (Starbucks, Human Bean) others for the atmosphere (Rembrandts) and the rest for the food (Java) . But not one locally that meets my coffee snob needs.

2 Rachel F August 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm

That dinner looks so delicious and healthy! I always add grated onions to my burgers to keep them moist and flavorful. I’ve never thought to include carrots.
Are you sure you’re not pregnant? Taste aversions and all…

3 Meghann August 24, 2012 at 5:53 am

100% positive I am not pregnant. The iced coffee thing I noticed is only at certain coffee shops – something just tastes off.

4 Kim August 24, 2012 at 6:27 am

Agreed. The Dancing Deer Fruit & Nut bars are amazing. I may have eaten two at once. So good……

5 cathy@1970kikiproject August 24, 2012 at 6:35 am

sorry to hear that your sophie’s closed. thanks for the encouragement that we support the indy coffee shops. in my ‘hood, we have at least 8-10 cute little coffee shops, independent…and a starbucks. guess which location is always the busiest?!…

6 Lauren August 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

Ah, aren’t those bars delicious! I broke into mine too and have been all over them since. ;)

7 Cindy August 24, 2012 at 8:15 am

That happens so often here in Glasgow. We find a cute place we like, and then a month later it’s closed. There is a location that has had 3 different restaurants since we came here 2 years ago. Crazy!

My favourite local coffee shop is Tinderbox. They have great coffee, a good spread of breakfast foods (I love their muffins) and lunch options as well as desserts. They are also open late (anything after 6 here is late) so that is a bonus!

8 Melissa August 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

Gotta say, I’m NOT a fan of any local coffee shop. I’ve tried so many — both locally and when traveling — and they all sucked. Give me the chains any day!

9 Candice August 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love Dancing Deer stuff! All their cookies and brownies are SO yummy!

10 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

I love those Fruit and Nut squares!!!!

11 Christina August 24, 2012 at 10:19 am

Read Sophie’s most recent Facebook post. Kinda gives you more of the backstory. Interesting and very well written response to the article in the Tampa Trib this morning.

12 Meghann August 24, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll have to check it out.

13 Meghann August 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

Ok, just read it. You’re right – very interesting, if anything, I respect the owners more and we’ll proudly support them with me business if/when they reopen in South Tampa.

14 Christina August 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Me too! I used to always go in the morning after I left LFF becuase it was convenient – but I will go out of my way to visit them where ever they end up in South Tampa. (once they reopen, of course – soon I hope!)

15 Meghan August 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’ve never seen a better looking slice then that avocado! It looks perfectly ripe! I hate when great places close especially when you go there only to turn around and settle for something else. Happened to a bakery I went to on Wenesday!

16 Alaina August 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

My favorite coffee shop in Massachusetts is Red Barn Coffee. They have several locations around the state. I certainly hope they don’t vanish too! I visit them probably 3 times a week. :-P

17 Em August 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

My favorite coffee place is The Flying Disc in Enosburg Falls, VT. They sell the usual coffee products, smoothies, and amazing baked goods made daily by the one of the owners. She’s from the south, so she knows how to bake! They also sell used video games, dvds, and records, and the whole store has a laid back but hip vibe.

18 Shalawn August 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

How did you cook your sweet potato rounds?

19 Meghann August 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

I sliced them, then baked them for 20 minutes at 420.

20 Tamara August 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Well, all be! It turned out amazing! Let’s play this game again, okay?
(It’s what I do most afternoons when I realize, once again, I failed to make a plan for dinner…)