more ยป" />

It’s all about the mesh

by Meghann on August 23, 2012

Remember when you were a kid and the first week of school was always the best, not only because there usually wasn’t a lot of work involved, but also because you had a whole slew of new clothes to wear for the first week? I remember waking up so excited to wear my fresh, new clothes that I had been saving for the first week of classes. Honestly, I think it made it easier getting out of bed knowing there were new clothes to wear.

That same mindset is still with me today. I’m usually not sure what I’m more excited about – wearing the new outfits I’ve purchased for certain events or the actual events. If anything, the promise of wearing the new outfits makes me that much more excited for the events themselves (which sort of explains my overflowing closet and that feeling of “I have nothing to wear” because old clothes don’t excite me as much as new ones #clotheshoardersanonymous ).

The same can be said for running. When I know I have a new running outfit to wear, I’m just that much more likely to jump out of bed in the morning to run in it. When some new Brooks Running gear arrived on my doorstep yesterday – I knew today was going to be a good day for running. :)

BrooksGear.jpeg

Just a reminder that I am a Brooks Ambassador and they occasionally send me products to review. All opinions are my own. :)

I was very excited when Brooks emailed me about this month’s product: the Women’s D’lite Mesh Tank

BlueMeshTop.jpeg

With lightweight mesh in fun colors, on-the-go gals can wear this tank for the run or around town. Maximum breathability makes it a great layering piece or wear-alone for hot weather conditions.

And I don’t know how to say this without being corny or bias, but can I just give a quick shout out to the product videos that Brooks has on all their product pages?! I feel like sizing can be tricky when it comes to ordering workout clothes online. Some stuff runs really fitted, some stuff runs loose, and then there’s the whole “semi-fitted” stuff. Without trying it on in person, or seeing how it moves, I never know what to order. I’m in between sizes depending on the fit/brand/how much my belly is sticking out that day. Especially with shirts I’ve never even heard of before (like the mesh tanks) I’m at a loss.

The video (shown below) helped a ton. Not only was I able to see hot it fit and moved on the girl, but I was able to see how thin the shirt actually was and even a few tips on how to wear it.

There was also the Brooks Women’s PR Mesh Skort

Mesh Skirt.jpeg

We’ve taken our popular 2-in-1 mesh skort and made it even better with extra length and improved grippers on the hem of the inner short. Style, performance, fit — what else is there? Wear it anywhere your active day takes you… even upside down on the monkey bars.

You know me and running skirts – LOVE!

Just for fun – here’s the skort’s product video:

Knowing that the new clothes were waiting for me, I bounced out of bed – ready to run!

IMG_9686.jpg

Let’s start with the shirts – yes, shirtS. The Women D’lite Mesh Tanks are so light and airy that they are actually meant to be layered.

Check out how thin that material is.

It’s light as air and feels like netting. Layering the two tanks didn’t feel bulky or odd, it just felt normal.

However, this IS Florida and, as light and airy the shirts felt layered, it was still close to 90 degrees at 7:00am and too hot to wear anything remotely layered, so I discarded the top shirt.

IMG_9688.jpg

Much better.

IMG_9689.jpg

See the lime green top and lime green Pure Connects? What can I say – I like to stand out in a crowd. ;)

The single layer top was awesome. It was very light, comfortable, and still managed to wick away a good amount of sweat. It’s PERFECT for the Florida humidity or running on a hot day. I also liked the fit. It’s semi-fitted and very easy to move in. The best part is that it doesn’t cling, which I think you can attribute to the amazing mesh fabric – most running shirts of similar cuts and styles (but different fabrics) always cling – this one was perfect. I only wish it was more flattering of a cut – the high neck and arms does nothing for my short torso.

The skort.

IMG_9687.jpg

Hmm… maybe I should have taken more photos of just the skort? Well, at least I know it makes my butt look good… I mean fast. It makes my butt look fast. ;)

The skort was just okay. I liked the material and the fit, but wasn’t a fan of the cut. I prefer running skirts to have slits on the side that allow a little more breathability and movement when running. The bloomers underneath were nice though and never rode up – they do earn bonus points for that. So if you don’t mind a slit-free skort and are looking for something that doesn’t ride up – this is clearly a winner.

Both clothing items went out on a 3 mile run today – I’ll have to see how they measure up on longer distances. I’ll let you know if anything crazy happens! Also, I think the mesh tank would be a great item to wear to the beach or a theme park (especially if you want to go on water rides). After my run, I didn’t even feel sweaty and gross wearing it – it dries in an instant!

After my run I made a parfait with yogurt, granola, and berries.

That hit the spot!

What has been some of your favorite running gear this summer?! Share in the comments below!

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

Other than the Lululemon skirts that I have, Brooks Skirts are definitely my favorite. They are so comfy, and I find myself wearing them around to run errands, while still having that feminine look. And yes – the shorts underneath do not move even the slightest bit. I love that about the shorts!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..My Take-aways from Healthy Living Summit 2012

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 23, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m so excited because my manager just bought me a Lululemon gift card which means this girl is going to get her hands on her FIRST Lululemon!!! :)

But this summer I’ve been loving a running skirt I actually got at Old Navy! Who knew?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Exercise is the Key to Thriving Today!

3 Kathy August 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

Actually I got my FIRST pair of running shorts this summer (Champion from Target) You know the kind with the underwear built in? Yep, I NEVER thought I could wear shorts running (with my rubbing thigh thing going on) but these didn’t move, didn’t cause chaffing, and simply felt great….and the best part? I felt like a “real runner” in them!

Weird? Who knows….

4 Samantha Angela August 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

I still don’t get running skirts.
I like the mesh top though. That would be really good to wear over just a sports bra on a really hot day.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Shooting

5 Angela August 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

The whole outfit is very very cute!
Angela recently posted..Coconut Chicken Curry

6 Meghan August 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

I found these light weight racer back tank tops from Walmart! They are great and came in every obnoxious color! I got them all! $5. Totally amazing esp. for Walmart work out gear!
Meghan recently posted..Livestrong 5k & Party!

7 Hannah August 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love the colors! And I’m sure they’re perfect for Florida.
Side question ;) – Did you announce the winner for the St. Pete Woman’s half?
Hannah recently posted..to the weekend we go.

8 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm
9 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

So would the mesh top be see through if you wore it by itself? If so, it seems kind of silly to buy a shirt that you can see through, or just to buy a mesh shirt to wear over another shirt – or am I completely off on this?
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..What the best weekends are made of

10 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

If you look at the photo of me in just the green top you can see that it’s not very see through on its own. I mean, I wouldn’t go bra-less with it, but it works as a single layer with just a sports bra underneath. The shirt is made to keep you cool when it’s hot out and give the same effect as if just running in a sports bra but a little more coverage. The ability to layer is really just for fun. You don’t have to layer if you don’t want to.

11 Ashlee August 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

How come the b’s are always absent from the title when you initially publish it?

12 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

It’s only in certain browsers, and the truth is that I don’t know. All of plugins are up to date, as well as my theme. Since the Bs still appear in Chrome, it doesn’t stand out at me like a sore thumb to remind me to do something about it. I think you just relit the fire under me to figure it out. :/

13 Hilary August 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love that running skirt, I actually have two (black and pink) and wear them almost every time I run. I also love the big pocket on the right side of the shorts, my iPhone (in a ziploc) fits in there and I use it so my cheering section can follow my location while I’m racing :)

14 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I recently started wearing hats when running, and it’s been a game changer. Having the sun out of my eyes is AMAZING. I don’t know why I didn’t start doing this forever ago!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Immobile

15 Annette @FitnessPerks August 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I have a skirt from Nordstrom rack that I love working out it–and also these awesome shorts from Old NAvy <–they have a pretty good line of fitness clothes actually. It totally surprised me!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..From Sweet to Salty

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

those clothes are so cute! And I like that the top doesn’t cling, that’s definitely something that bothers me!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

17 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise August 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking about buying one of their mesh tanks for a while, and now I’m really tempted with their pretty fall/winter colors coming out. It’s nice to hear an opinion about the product from a source I trust. :)
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Tired after 12 (Miles)

18 Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners August 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I love running skirts too and I have seen the mesh tops and was curious how they worked. Thanks for the information, I didn’t know you were supposed to layer them. Is there a specific shirt that is made to go under them?
Also, I am a HUGE Brooks supporter myself, how do you become a Brooks Ambassador?
Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners recently posted..The One With A So What Wednesday Link Up

19 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You don’t have to layer the shirts if you don’t want to , but they are designed so you can layer two of the mesh colors for a fun, new look. I was contacted by Brooks back in June, which was when I became an ambassador. I would suggest just keeping talking about how much you love Brooks and they will find you (I’ve been a dedicated Brooks lover since 2010 :) )

20 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Cute outfit. I agree with needing slits on the sides. I have been called hippy and these hips need space when I run.
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..Hump Day

21 Jenny August 23, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Just an FYI: you can HAVE a bias, but when you are describing yourself, you would say you are/are not BIASED. No offense :)

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm

SO SO CUTE! What about the price?Were they pretty affordable?
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..a new year

23 Meghann August 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

If you compare the pricetag to Lululemon, I would say they’re reasonable. But they are more than Target or Old Navy.

24 Andrea August 23, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I am so with you about the new clothes thing. I always need a new dressy for fancy occasions and every time my friend and I run in a race, we run in a brand new outfit! For our first race last year, we were at an expo and my friend wanted to try on a running skirt. I was sooooo against it. Running in a skirt? No way! But we had to match and she wanted it so I bought it and am now addicted! I LOVE running skirt and need to try these out!
Andrea recently posted..Waiting on Wednesday- August 22, 2012

25 Nagore August 24, 2012 at 4:12 am

Maybe you have written about this in a post (probably) but I was not able to find it :( What kind/brand/type of sports bra do you use? I have to use two usually but hurt on my shoulders eventually.

26 Meghann August 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

I wear several different varieties. I really like the Under Armour sports bras and Moving Comfort. Check out Moving Comfort – they have great sports bras that are sized by band/cup for better support.