I have a hair person!

by Meghann on August 23, 2012

I’ve never had a regular hair person in my life. Ever.

When I was a kid my mom took us to get our hair cut at Hair Cuttery and, when I went to college, the local Aveda hair school was too good of a deal to pass up ($35 for a full head of highlights?! sign me up!). Fast forward to Orlando, another Aveda school, more awesome deals. I even started buying group deals for local hair places and continued to jump around from salon to salon as I transitioned from Orlando to Tampa.

If I were to bet money on it, I would probably bet that the same person had never touched my hair twice in my first 26 years of life. I’m a big believer that we are creatures of our parents’ habits (my mom doesn’t wear make-up regularly – I don’t wear make-up regularly, my dad makes bad jokes – I make bad jokes, etc.) and since my mom never had a regular hair person while I was growing up, I never picked that habit up from her.

I didn’t mind not having a regular hair person. I was never really excited about my hair, but I wasn’t beating myself up over it either. I also wasn’t a fan of spending so much money on hair on a regular basis. I developed a habit where I would cut all of my hair off (think above the shoulders), then go for a very long time (my record in college was 15 months) without another hair cut. In the meantime my hair would get ridiculously long.

100_0664.JPG 100_1836.JPG

October 2004 v. October 2006

I was in the middle of the whole growing it out process (and it had been more than a few months since my last hair cut – try 8) when I got engaged in January. It was almost to that point where I was tired of messing with it and was ready to donate 10 inches. After I got engaged, i knew I couldn’t donate it quite yet ( I still plan to donate it after the wedding, but want to keep it long for the big day). I was stuck.

A couple of months went by, then, in March, I decided I wanted to get my hair blown out for my engagement photos. A friend recommended Levels Salon in South Tampa and I ran in after a yoga class hoping they could squeeze me in. Luckily they had an opening. I met Stephanie and for the first time (probably ever) it felt like someone finally got my hair. She worked MAGIC on it.

IMG_8979_1.JPG

I booked a real appointment that week and had my first haircut in months. It was awesome. And you know what happened? When I went to leave she told me to see her again in 10-12 weeks – I booked my follow-up appointment (for June – it was March). I knew if I didn’t book it that day, that I would never call back for another. June would come and go and I would forget to make time for my haircut – that’s what happens.

June came and I went to my appointment on schedule. After that appointment, I re-booked for August. On Monday I got my little reminder text message and today I headed to Levels Salon to meet Stephanie for the hair appointment.

I told Stephanie the front of my hair was bothering me and my hair felt heavy (side note: this is big because I never quite know when the stylists ask “so what do you want done today?”). She added some face framing layers to the front, more layers to the back, and even took the time to curl my hair as a special treat.

424752_10102208429271883_2046331128_n.jpeg

Ummm….. now I need somewhere fancy to go with my new ‘do. A good hair style is not one to waste! Also, why can’t I get that good of curls on my own?!

The point of this very long and drawn out story is – I finally have a hair person! Her name is Stephanie, she works at Levels, and I can’t wait to see her again in November (remember, the key to this relationship is making the appointments in advance so I remember to go to them).

Do you have a regular hair person? Or are you a nomad hair person like I once was?

1 Sana August 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Your hair looks awesome :)
Sana recently posted..Tiny Portions+Smoothie Fail

2 RunInBoise August 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I have a hair person that I pretty much just let do whatever she wants because I trust what she does. But this last week was pretty much a waste because I can’t tell what she did on my color, even though I know she did something! lol
RunInBoise recently posted..Almost Had It Done!

3 Em August 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I have a hair person… and she works at Hair Cuttery (nothing wrong with that).

4 Annette @FitnessPerks August 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm

It’s GREAT!! Love the look.

I totally have a hair person she ROCKS. She works magic with my hair :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..From Sweet to Salty

5 Miranda @ Biting Life August 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Wow, your hair looks awesome! I loved how it came out in the engagement photos, too. I don’t have a regular hair person anymore, but I had one when I was kid, and then another throughout high school and my first three years of college. Eventually I realized that I needed to find somebody closer to my new home, not my childhood home, so now it’s kind of up in the air.
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..[Man Healthy] Turkey Buns

6 Katie D. August 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have a hair person too! I used to bounce between a high end salon and the beauty school (depending on my $$) but after a tragic cut (a pre-wedding trim turned shag/mullet), I settled with my friend. She is not even licensed or trained but somehow can work magic on my thick, bushy hair. She is a magician! And CHEAP ($35 for full color/highlights and a cut).

7 Katie D. August 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm

And Stephanie should do a guest post on how she got your hair curled that way, I love it!

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I actually went to the same person to get my hair trimmed my whole life until I went to college. My mom just took me to the guy who cut my mom’s and my grandmother’s hair. When I went to collee I bopped around wherever there was a good deal and now I go to the Aveda salon in Chicago. I only ever get a trim about 2-3 times a year so it’s jut not important to me!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

9 Margo August 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Your hair looks amazing! Stephanie is definitely a keeper!

10 Dori August 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Your haircut and style looks gorgeous! Ever since I moved out on my own in 2006, I wasn’t able to find a regular hair person until last year. My friend Missy posted pictures of her new haircut and she looked amazing. I asked her who she used, and I went to that person and I was in love. Even though it’s more expensive than I’d like to pay for my hair, she is the only person who really gets what I want and understands my hair. I can’t trust anyone else (I even got a cut from her the Friday morning of HLS because I needed a blowout that would last through the CrossFit workout!). I really like having someone I know I can trust and will always leave me looking better than I thought I could.
Dori recently posted..I Did Not Inherit the Cool Genes, or the Cool Jeans

11 Beverly Aragon August 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Get it girl! Your hair is gorgeous. Have Derek take you out tonight. :)

12 Melanie August 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Wow it looks awesome! Love how long it is in the back! SO pretty!

13 Olga August 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I’ve had a hair person for 3 years, but he’s been failing me lately. It’s like he decided to stop listening and started doing whatever he wants. I never leave with a bad ‘do, but there’s a big difference between “Cut it past my shoulder” and “I thought you’d look better with chin-length hair.” So now I have to find a new hair person, and the tricky part is finding someone I trust enough to not mess it up. Sorry, I’m rambling! The point is: Stephanie sounds awesome! Don’t lose her!
Olga recently posted..Hit My First 5K Goal Time

14 Brittany - Life of a Bama Girl August 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Your hair looks so pretty! I have gone to the same girl for almost 4 years now. I tell her sometimes what I want and sometimes I let her surprise me. I only do this because I trust her and I have told her before what I definitely don’t want. I like having someone that I know and trust instead of random people doing my hair every time.
Brittany – Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Washington, D.C.–National Museum of Natural History

15 Belle @ Rebelle Fitness August 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Cute engagement picture!

16 Angela August 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

your hair looks gorgeous!!!
Angela recently posted..Coconut Chicken Curry

17 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I’m the exact opposite of you: I’ve only had one person cut my hair in my entire life. Since my first haircut, I’ve gone to the same person every single time. I have had other people do my hair (like for dances in high school and whatnot), but I’ve never had anyone else cut it. The lady who cuts my hair grew up next door to my mom, so it’s kind of a family friend sort of thing. She doesn’t always do exactly what I ask for, and now that I live on my own and reeeeaaaalllly need a haircut I’m thinking about trying someone else out, but I almost can’t imagine having anyone else cut my hair!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

18 Ryan August 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I used to have a regular hair guy when I was a kid, then around high school/college, I became a hair nomad. I always thought “I have short, guy hair, how hard can it be to get a decent hair cut?” and went to the cheap chain places. And more often than not, it wasn’t a good hair cut – I guess guys hair is harder than it seems. Then in the past year, I caught a glimpse of my growing bald spot in the mirror, shaved all my hair off, and have had the same hair guy since – me! That clippers has more than paid for itself.

19 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

haha – this made me giggle. My fiance has a hair person, only because he has a specific way he likes his hair. He’s had the same hair guy since college and goes pretty regularly.

20 Stacey August 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

It looks like Stephanie is a keeper! Your hair looks awesome in the photos you posted. You should definitely go out to show it off:)

I’ve always had a hair person. I’ve been going to my current person for 8 years. She is awesome. I change my hair color every time I go in and she is always able to give me what I want.

21 Allison August 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Love it! That’s hot!

22 Katie @ running4cupcakes August 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm

love the hair – those curls are rockin’!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 8/19/12

23 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes August 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Your hair looks great, Meghann! I’ve been going to the same hair salon since day one–literally. My hairdresser is the only woman who has ever cut my hair. Clearly, I’m a girl of routine. :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..First Trip To Chipotle

24 LizP August 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm

“Also, why can I get that good of curls on my own?!”

Do you mean, “why can’t I get that…” or “how can i get that….”

?

25 Elisabeth August 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I had the same stylist from 2nd grade until about 2 years ago (I’m 30). Now I see a different stylist at a First Choice Haircutters. I can’t make an appointment there like my old salon, but I do know her hours & just go when she’s there.

26 McKenzie August 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

My boyfriend does not have a hair stylist and I would say it’s hit or miss with his cuts. One time he came home the stylist had given him these weird layers in the back-he looked like a soccer Mom.
The next time, the hair cut was so bad that when I got home he was wearing a hat-he later took the hat off to reveal that he had come home after the cut really mad because it looked bad and then proceeded to shave it all off. Men are impossible.

27 Anne August 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm

That blowout is fantastic! Your hair looks great!

28 Reenie August 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm

She did a great job ~ looks really pretty ~ and very long.

I’ve always had a regular hair-gal. It’s hard to find a new one when they quit or move. Word of mouth is the best ~ I think =) I go every 6 weeks for a color touch-up and a trim.

29 Nikole August 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I am so jealous of your thick hair!
I have followed my girl around from salon to salon since college (almost 13 years yikes!) I have had grey hair since I was 16 and color it regularly. She seems to be the only person to make sure it doesn’t turn orange or purple (I have a lot of red tones she says).

30 Hillary August 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have very curly, very thick, VERY unruly hair. After years and years of fighting with it, I finally realized that there are hairstylists out there that only specialize in my hair type. I booked an appointment with a stylist when I moved to MD five years ago, and I have never, ever looked back. She’s amazing, and she made me love my hair again!

31 SaraB August 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I have the exact same hair type. I usually tell people to imagine having a head full of eyebrow hairs. I actually ended up going to someone who specialized in ethnic hair on a whim (someone had given me a gift certificate) and I never looked back. Every couple years Ill get sucked into a deal or try to do something myself and she always has to fix it. Im lucky she lets me come back, but I love her! ;)

32 Annie August 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m the same way and have never had a regular stylist. Looks like you hit the jackpot though! Your hair looks amazing!
Annie recently posted..Orientation Day

33 Jenny August 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Your hair looks great this way!

34 Mary August 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I go every 5 weeks to have my hair cut and high (or low) lighted and get a pedicure now. I schedule 2 appointments out! But I went 4 years without a haircut when I was in residency, had 2 little boys, and was broke. I used to just trim my bangs myself in front of the bathroom mirror:).

35 Katie Cummings August 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I also chop my hair and grow it out, I’ve been moving a lot but hope to find my hair person soon! I am also almost to donation time!

36 Rachel August 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I love your hair!

37 Laura @ sweatingforit August 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I’ve been getting my haircut by random students at the Aveda school for a few years. I love it!
Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..Caffeine Low

38 Christena August 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Your hair looks AMAZING.

Based on your pictures, I think that you & I might have similar hair texture-wise. I don’t know what kind of shampoo/conditioner you use, but I can tell a difference with professional products vs. regular brands. I am absolutely NOT a “products person” either and cannot stand to spend $$$ on beauty products. I used to think expensive hair products were a waste of money, and I will get in these moods where I refuse to believe that there is a difference and buy something on sale from CVS or Walmart, but I ALWAYS end up coming back to the good stuff.

My hair is natural curly but I blow dry it most of the time. It holds curl well and looks like yours from the back, although not quite as long. I actually use hot rollers to get those curls and they stay all day.

39 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Your hair looks amazing!! I do have a hair person. I went to her for 2 years and then I found out she was moving. Lucky for me, she happens to come back frequently and now comes to my home to do my hair! I consider myself very lucky!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Ecard Cake Fun

40 Laura August 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I started going to the same person throughout high school after too many DIY hair colors, and I’ve loved having someone I can trust to make me feel great and keep my hair healthy. After going to college, I started looking for someone new since I didn’t want to make the trip home for a haircut. Plus, I was less satisfied with my stylist at that point and needed someone new. After a very long search – one that didn’t end until after I graduated – I found my current girl and couldn’t be happier. She’s great but knowing when I’m hesitant to try a new style I’m interested in and finding an alternative or a way to ease into it.

A lot of people send money on massages or manicures to relax. I consider investing in my stylist a few times a year to be my indulgence to relax.

41 Meghan August 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

My hair girl is my brothers ex-girlfriend of like 8 years! It was awkward at first but she is amazing. I tried someone else but it never looked the same. Luckily its all good now and they are both married with one child! I could never go to anyone else and I am glad she is always super professional!
Meghan recently posted..Livestrong 5k & Party!

42 Christine @ BookishlyB August 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I drive 30 miles a way for my stylist- I’ve been with her for like 8 years and won’t go to anyone else, especially since I color it now.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Trippin’

43 Theodora August 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous! I had the most amazing person ever in DC and even drove down to Charlottesville when she moved there. When I moved to NYC, I STILL went down to see her a few times–she was that good. Now, I have a guy that’s pretty good but it’s still not the same.
Theodora recently posted..Lucky to Run

44 Angela August 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm

ummm… your hair looks AMAZING!

I have a hair person, in Montana (where I’m from) and then moved to Texas. You’d think I could find an amazing hair person in Dallas, but I’ve had nightmare hair-people. Too bad your hair person isn’t in Dallas, because I would want to share hair-people :) It’s always such a relief when you can trust someone with your hair. And yours looks so pretty!

45 Gretchen August 24, 2012 at 9:03 am

I used to be exactly like you — never went to the same place for haircuts, didn’t even like making appointments, would just suddenly get the urge for a cut and then just go to whatever walk-in place would have an opening. Until one fated day at a Bubbles Salon when I met my now-stylist, Sarah! I loved what she did so much, I made sure to book an actual appointment with her for the next time. And the next time, and the next time, and so forth. I even followed her to her new salon when she left Bubbles, and now my brother, his fiance, and one of my old coworkers goes to her too. Makes me feel so grown up to have a “real” hair person.

Of course, since I’m growing out my hair now, I haven’t seen her in like a zillion years. Oops.
Gretchen recently posted..Fashion Friday: Scratch

46 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

So gorgeous! I wish my hair could do that! My mom has been going to the same salon for almost 20 years back in NY. She went there to get her hair done for her wedding, and has continued to go back every 2-3 months since. When she had me and my sister, we immediately went there too. I switched over to a new stylist after my mom’s original one left when I was 10. She cut/colored/did updo’s for prom/parties – everything! I was so sad to leave her when I moved to Boston, that I would procrastinate haircuts/color touch-ups until I was back home for a holiday break. Only recently have I found a stylist in Boston that I like that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. But I will always go back and see Amy :)
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..6 Weeks to Go

47 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

I also followed in my mother’s footsteps. She ALWAYS had a hairdresser and I always went to her hairdresser. When she would switch (happened 3-4 times in 15 years), I would switch with her. My current hairdresser is amazing! I actually got a Groupon for a local place, but I could not bring myself to “cheat” on Silvana. It’s pricey so I don’t go often, but when I do, I am never disappointed.
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..Hump Day

48 Yo Momma Runs August 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Oh my goodness, your hair is so gorgeous. I’m a hair nomad too, but I occasionally find someone I stick with for a few cuts. Right now I have a girl who cuts hair out of her garage. She’s awesome and cheap! The best combo.
Yo Momma Runs recently posted..Good eats in my town

49 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane August 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

It looks so pretty!! She did a great job :)
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Chocolate Lovers! Adora Calcium Review & Giveaway

50 Kim@hungryhealthygirl August 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I agree with you that we pretty much just follow along with what we are used to from our parents. My mom has always had a regular hair person and I have too. We actually had the same one for a long time. A couple of years ago I wanted a switch and I love my current hair person. Your hair looks gorgeous by the way. I think having a hair person suites you!!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..day 6 back-to-school snacks and I saved the best for last!!

51 Bess August 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I have had the same hairdresser for nearly 20 years – Michael Jon at Artistic Hair Care & Design in Winter Park. He used to do the hair circuits through the major cities of the world, and then retired here in Florida. You wouldn’t know what a wizard he is to look at him… he’s as quiet and reserved as he can be!… but I will be so sad when he finally decides to hang up his scissors for good! (Pssst! If you’re in the Orlando area and want his number – let me know!)

52 Coco August 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Your hair looks amazing!! I have gone through periods of semi regular hairdressers. Durning my high school years, I just did it myself, or had friends do it.. Keep in mind there was a time when I had dreadlocks and a shaved head so it didn’t really require a whole lot. lol.. I again have a regular hair dresser, but keep the appointments down to about 3 a year.. because she is pricy.. but I love her work.
Coco recently posted..In case you’ve been wondering…

53 Whitney August 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I’ve never been loyal to a hairstylist and now I’m even worse that I live in NYC where there’s more choices (a good thing and a bad thing). I seem to be in cycle of not wanting to spend a lot since I’ve never had much difference and then not getting awesome service because I don’t have a relationship with one. I also go wayyyyy to long between cuts.

Your hair looks gorgeous.

54 Carissa August 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m blogging about my hair person right now so I’m linking to your post. I’ve been with her for 7 years I think. She’s my age too so I know I’ll have pretty hair for life!
Carissa recently posted..Lightened Up Mojitos

55 Kim August 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I love the curls – and you are totally right… and new haircut cannot go to waste! i always try to plan my appointments/dates together ; ) I have been seeing the same girl for a few years now and I just refuse to go to ANYONE else. Even if I neglect my appointment for months on end, she still always ‘gets it’ when I do go back.
Kim recently posted..Julie vs. Ryan

56 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean August 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am so paranoid about my hair so I completely understand what a blessing it is to find someone you trust and love that really gets your personality and hair! SO happy for you. You’re gorgeous and I love that your hair reflects that! SO pretty girl! :-D
Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean recently posted..Constant In A Crazy World

57 CampingGirl August 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I’ve had the same stylist for years… many of my friends go to her too. We all love her!
CampingGirl recently posted..More Gus Issues