more ยป" />

Wedding: The First Dance

by Meghann on August 22, 2012

I’m going to be honest here, selecting the song for the first dance was something that was really low on my priority list at the beginning of wedding planning. Even though Derek and I have been dating on and off since 2005, we’ve never really had a song that was “our song.” And, even though I enjoy singing along to the radio or loading my ipod up with music for runs, I’m not really into music. I’m a Top 40s girl all the way, and I’m not ashamed to admit that.

IMG_6245.jpg

(though my dancing skills may be another story)

So when Derek attended a wedding in January and fell in love with the song that the couple did their first dance to, I was sold. He liked the song, I didn’t care what we danced to (as long as we got to dance), and it felt good to mark something off the list.

Then seven months went by and we started interviewing DJs. They all had the same obvious question – “what song would you like to have your first dance to?” Umm…. since I could not for the life of me ever remember, I would turn to Derek, who could never remember either. We both knew the artist, but for some reason the name of the song always escaped us. Both times Derek had to get his phone out and start playing songs by the artist until he got to the one that was right. Even today, I have no idea what the song is called.

After our last meeting with a potential DJ I had a mini freak out over the darn song. Why had we picked a song that neither of us could ever remember the name of? That wasn’t right. What if our kids ask us 20 years from now what our first song was and we can’t remember? This song was supposed to define us as a couple, but how could it define us if neither of us have an attachment to it? Why doesn’t Derek care more? Crap. We need another song.

That’s when crazy bridezilla Meghann kicked in and I began reviewing every song in my iTunes library. I was hoping to find something, anything ,that had any sort of special meaning to us as a couple. Instead of finding something romantic and slow, I found 80s songs that reminded me of the first night we danced together (all fast and upbeat), a Rascal Flatts album that reminded me of the time we drove to Wal-Mart at midnight to pick up a copy (nothing had the right romantic vibe), and the song Building Bridges from our first trip to NYC when we saw Brooks & Dunn perform at the Today Show (not exactly the right vibe of a song for our first dance).

I became super stressed over the whole situation and realized I was putting way too much pressure on something that was supposed to be low on the priority list. It was as if one thing had led to another and I began to believe nothing else mattered, but the first song. I had turned to a crazy person.

Luckily, I was able to step away before it was too late. I took a deep breath, talked it over with Derek, and came back to reality.

IMG_9010_1.JPG

Turns out I was right in the beginning, the first song doesn’t matter. I had other things to worry about and the added stress of finding the “perfect song” isn’t one of them. No matter what we dance to, it will be romantic and perfect all on its own – that’s all that really matters.

What was the song you picked for your first dance? Did it have a special meaning behind it?

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

We danced to “You are the best thing” by Ray LaMontagne. We picked it just for the wedding – it didn’t have any significance behind it, but we loved it.

2 Stacey October 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

LOVE.THIS.SONG.

3 Maria August 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

We picked “Grow Old With You” from the Wedding Singer because I love that movie, and it’s a short, sweet, and funny song. We played the version by Kawika Regidor.

4 Alliso K August 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

That is what we wanted to dance too! But our DJ didn’t know what I was talking about! So instead we dance to Forever by Ben Harper.

5 Katie D. August 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

We did “Grow Old With You” too! Try picking a movie that is “you” and see if there is a song from the sound track.

Plus “Grow Old With You” is fairly short, I’m not a huge center of attention person, so it was perfect!

6 SpaceySteph August 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

The other way to avoid being center of attention if you pick a song on the longer side is to dance to the first half of a song just the two of you and then invite all the married couples out to the floor with you for the second half.
That’s what my fiance and I are gonna do, because we don’t want everyone watching us awkwardly sway (we’re going fifth grade dance style since neither of us cares to learn to actually dance) for 3 minutes and 30 seconds

7 Heidi August 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Our band played a version of The Magnetic Fields’ Book of Love. That song always gets me!
Then we did Modern English’s I Melt With You as the first fast song.

8 Heidi August 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

We also had a friend sing two songs during the ceremony, which could also be good First Dance songs…..Ingrid Michaelson’s The Way I Am and The Cure’s Just Like Heaven

9 Maureen August 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I love both songs! We call The Way I Am “The Sweater Song,” because of the cute way she pronounces the word sweater!

10 colleen August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I honestly can’t remember what we danced to and it’s been 12 years. I remember other parts of that day and the next, which are more important to me than a song.

11 Meghann August 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think those are what my final thoughts are going to be. :)

12 Katie @ Year of Katie August 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Well, I’m not married and I have no idea what song I want for my husband/wife dance. But I’ve always dreamed of dancing to American Girl by Tom Petty with my dad. I know a lot of people do choreographed dances with their spouses, but I would love to learn a choreographed dance with my dad. I think it would be a fun way for me to spend time with the first man I ever loved before I start my new life. :)

13 Katie @ Year of Katie August 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

….I forgot to write the whole reason I posted that comment. Don’t shy away from faster songs! If you have a fast song that means something to the two of you, think of how cute a little swing dance would be! You wouldn’t even have to take lessons, just practice a couple moves before hand. That would also be a fun way to have some bonding time before the big day.

And you guys seem like a silly couple, so a fun dance to a faster song might fit your style.

14 Whitney August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Fields of Gold by Sting.

It didn’t have any special meaning before but it has plenty now. And our dance instruction (yes we took 10 ballroom dance lessons-they were TONS of fun) said it was the perfect tempo for the Rumba.

15 Jessica August 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

We picked a completely non-traditional song and I’m sure plenty of people were like wtf, but it was really special for us. Echo by Incubus.

There’s something about the look in your eyes
Something I noticed when the light was just right
It reminded me twice that I was alive
And it reminded me that you’re so worth the fight

My biggest fear will be the rescue of me
Strange how it turns out that way, yeah

Could you show me dear… Something I’ve not seen?
Something infinitely interesting
Could you show me dear… Something I’ve not seen?
Something infinitely interesting

Theres something about the way you move
I see your mouth in slow motion when you sing
More subtle than something someone contrives
Your movements echo that I have seen the real thing

Your biggest fear will be the rescue of you
Strange how it turns out that way, yeah

Could you show me dear… Something I’ve not seen?
Something infinitely interesting
Could you show me dear… Something I’ve not seen?
Something infinitely interesting

——-

My favorite lyrics:
“Could you show me dear… Something I’ve not seen?
Something infinitely interesting”

We interpreted “could you show me dear… something I’ve not seen. Something infinitely interesting” as that person showing you the type of loving relationship that you’ve never experienced before. The type of relationship that would be just that, infinitely interesting. Who doesn’t want their marriage to be infinitely interesting?

16 Jessica August 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

And I suck and forgot to say why the song had special meaning to us. Ry and I met on match.com, obviously you know this.. but in his profile he listed Incubus as one of his favorite bands and aside from the rest of it all sounding like he’d be a great fit, I knew I wanted to talk to him after seeing we had that in common. We bought tickets to go to my first Incubus concert shortly after we went on our first date which was a month or so away, so I knew I had to try to keep it going regardless of whether or not I liked him enough haha. Just kidding. Fortunately though, I did and it all worked out. But anyway, we’ve seen them live a bunch of times together and it’s just always special :)

17 Becky August 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

We danced to “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson. I had always loved the words since I first heard them and then when Sean proposed to me, he did it through an iMovie of photos of us set to that song. There was never a question what we’d dance to after that! We actually just watched the movie again last night- it was our two year proposal anniversary. And I cried again…

18 Sarah August 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm

My husband and I danced to Fank Sinatra’s “The Way You Look Tonight.” Nothing special behind it– just a classic song that isn’t cliche or overdone. Good luck!

19 Cait @ Beyond Bananas August 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Our first dance (which was less than two weeks ago :) ) was to Edwin McCain’s “I Could Not Ask For More”.

Like you, we didn’t have a song.. we enjoyed many songs together.. but nothing that was really first dance material. We picked the song about 2months before our wedding – and only because we took dance lessons and needed to have it. I listened to the wedding song channel on pandora – and that was when this song clicked.

My husband didn’t care too much – and this song had some special meaning to me!

20 Jeanne August 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

We danced to a song by Kenny G that had a great sax solo in it, but honestly, I can’t remember the name of the song. HOWEVER, a friend requested that the DJ play Jim Croce’s “Time in a Bottle”, and I was reduced to tears on the dance floor…it just seemed so fitting. To this day, 23 years later, it still moves me when I hear the song!

21 Stacy August 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

We danced to, “The Way You Look Tonight,” sung by Frank Sinatra. It didn’t have any special meaning to us but it’s a classic, for good reason, and we figured our parents would love it. Then later when everyone else was dancing too, we danced to, “Jesus, Etc.,” by Wilco which has WAY more meaning for us. It was playing in the bar during our first date, we both love Wilco, and it kind of screams “Chicago” (where we live and grew up). Why didn’t we pick that one for our first song? I think it’s because it was so meaningful to us, we wanted to enjoy that private moment at a point when everyone wouldn’t be staring at us.

I think that if the first song is important to you, that’s okay. The point at which you need to consider whether or not something is getting blown out of proportion is when it’s all-consuming and overshadowing what really matters, which is the celebration of the beginning of your lives together. Of course, you want everything to be perfect. That’s only natural. But the thing you least expect to go wrong is the thing that will go wrong, so save some of your energy for dealing with that when it happens ;)

22 erin August 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

a wedding i just went to danced to “wanted” by hunter hayes :) i had never heard it but it was a good choice!

23 SpaceySteph August 23, 2012 at 8:59 am

LOVE that song. Every time I hear it on the radio I think I need to work it into the wedding somehow, but I can’t figure out how because I already picked our first dance song. Hmmm.

24 Kristina August 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Our first dance was to “At Last” by Etta James. I had heard it on a TV show and just really liked it. They seem to always play it at weddings so we always get to dance to it again!

25 Karla August 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Youre right! It doesn’t matter all that matters is that you will get to spend the rest of your lives together! My hubby and I had fun on our wedding day, but we agree living life together is even more fun. We danced to ‘love of my life’ just because we loved the words

26 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Haha I’m the same way: I know nothing about music, I find songs I like from the top downloaded in iTunes!

27 Allie August 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

We picked Angel by Jack Johnson. We didn’t have “a song” either. I just wanted something that was sweet. That song was perfect and it is short! I think the couples first dance is cute for about 10 seconds then I’m ready move on! I didn’t want my first dance to bore my guests so it was “our” song!

28 Aneta August 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm

as i am planning my wedding, the song is one of the biggest things that is stressing me out. my fiance does not care what song we dance to. I had 2 songs that I loved: 1. unchained melody and 2. I wont give up – Jason Mraz, buuutt….they were taken.
His sister used Unchained Melody. Granted I never said that I wanted that song, so she had every right to take it. As for the otehr song, i actually heard it at a wedding that we recently went to….but again…there will be many repeated guests at our and their weddign and i dont wanna copy her.

Good luck! im sure you will find something good.

29 Kathy August 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’ll Stand By You by The Pretenders…….I honestly didn’t care but hubby liked it so we went with it…..I guess I liked the title and figured it had lots of meaning for a marriage….and standing by your spouse through thick and thin…

30 Claire August 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

We danced to “Be Mine” by David Grey…I also love “Lucky” by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.

31 Brooke @ Exercise For Fries August 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Our first dance was to Elton John’s, “Your Song”. Loved it!

32 Erin August 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

“The Luckiest” by Ben Folds. Which I think everyone had as their first dance song at weddings in 2003. But I love the lyrics so that’s what we went with. We even got asked by a few people afterward who the artist was because they loved it so much but hadn’t heard it before!

33 Katie August 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

My husband and I also danced to The Luckiest by Ben Folds. To this day, its my favorite wedding song. I also love David Gray’s “The One I Love”

34 crystal c. August 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm

we just got married in june and we danced to “At Last” by Etta James. we know it is a very popular song but we listened to a lot of songs and we just loved the words to this one. we loved the music to it also. right away we knew that this was going to be our slow dance song. the other song we loved was “It’s Your Love” by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. that song ended up being the last song of the night. so we sorta had two special dance songs.

35 Michelle August 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

We danced to Garth Brook’s version of “To Make You Feel My Love.” We just loved the lyrics. I think I was watching Hope Floats (for the millionth time) and said — you know, I really love that song. It was the only time I cried (happy tears, of course) during our wedding.

I was really more concerned about the dance I did with my dad — and then the DJ ended up not having the song! He thought he did, but he didn’t. FREAKOUT! So at the last minute, my dad picked the Frank Sinatra version of “The Way You Look Tonight” because my grandmother looooved that song (and she had passed away, so it was kind of her presence at my wedding).

36 K August 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’m not married, or lets be serious, anywhere near that point – but I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where the couple’s first dance song was just so hauntingly beautiful that to this day I still play it on repeat (and went all pinteresty and made part of their wedding gift with it). “All I Need” by Mat Kearney…you’ll fall in love with it.

37 Tami August 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm

our song was into the mystic by van morrison. we also played ice cream by sarah mclachlan because…i love ice cream

38 Melissa August 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm

My wedding is September 1st and we are having a Beaver Creek mountain wedding! We wanted something country to go with our slightly rural mountain theme so we chose Bless This Broken Road by Rascal Flatts. We thought that the theme of the road to finding one another was perfect!

39 allison @ thesundayflog August 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

LOVE THIS. ours is a ZBB song so i can appreciate the country :)

40 Belinda August 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Our first dance was to “Run” by George Strait. I met my hubby on a cruise and at the time he lived in Tulsa and I lived in Dallas. We did the long distance thing for a year, before I took the plunge and moved to Tulsa. Here are the lyrics (perfect for our story):

Run lyrics

If there’s a plane or a bus leavin’ Dallas
I hope you’re on it
If there’s a train movin’ fast down the tracks
I hope you caught it
‘Cause I swear out there ain’t where you oughta be
So catch a ride catch a cab
Don’t ya know I miss ya bad
But don’t you walk to me

Baby run cut a path across the blue skies
Straight in a straight line
You can’t get here fast enough
Find a truck and fire it up
Lean on the gas and off the clutch
Leave Dallas in the dust
I need you in a rush
So baby run

If you ain’t got a suitcase
Get a box or an old brown paper sack
Pack it light or pack it heavy
Take a truck, take a Chevy
Baby just come back
There’s a short cut to the highway out of town
Why don’t you take it
Don’t let that speed limit slow you down
Go on and break it

41 Lauren August 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I really don’t think it matters but we danced to Elvis’ “Suspicious Minds” which is seriously not wedding appropriate but super fun to dance to. And we will never forget the name of that song or that moment.

42 allison @ thesundayflog August 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

steve was super adamant about one particular song for our first dance. at first i fought it tooth and nail because i really wanted christina perri “a thousand years.” however, i started to think that if steve was this passionate about it, i should just let him have it – its one of the few aspects of the wedding he truly wants a say in. now, i love our song (not sharing it yet, though :) ) and the best part is that it has an acoustic interlude that will be perfect for my walk down the aisle !!

43 Susan August 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm

We danced to Colbie Calliet’s Bubbly. While people did not think it would work, at the end of the day the song perfectly described us. We met and just were and that’s what the song meant to us. We were already engaged and stumbled upon her outdoor concert and when that song played we looked at each other and knew it was the right first dance song for us.

44 Angela August 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm

My fiance and I are in the same boat as you. We’ve never had a song even though he is crazy about music. We have an oldies rock and roll band and our wedding is at the Planetarium so we picked “Earth Angel” by Chuck Berry. It goes with out theme and we have never danced to it so we thought it would be fun to have something that doesn’t mean anything to us yet (other than it does make us think of Back to Future, but that movie was awesome!).

45 Hillary August 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

My boyfriend and I have the opposite problem: we have too many songs to choose from! Two of them are Adele songs (I love one, he loves the other!), and another is Stevie Wonder’s “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” (a little too upbeat for a first dance, sadly). I also love Ray LaMontagne’s “You Are The Best Thing,” but my best friend has put dibs on that one and would kill me if I used it, haha!

46 Angela August 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I love this post. I always say that me and my boyfriend are screwed when we get married cuz we have never really had a “song” and we listen to two completely different types of music lol

47 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I think we’re going to dance to the first 2 minutes of Billy Joel’s “just the way you are” but we still have 5 weeks to change our minds. I do know that my Dad & I will be dancing to “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac. We still need a Mother/Son dance song, know any good ones?

48 Allison K August 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Forever by Ben Harper.
It’s amazing.

49 Allison August 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm

We settled on our song two night before the wedding. It isn’t a big deal. Alison Krauss “When you say nothing at all”

50 Malinda August 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Also in the midst of wedding planning. It is kind of ridiculous how stressed I’ve been about the music for the wedding in general. I have no idea what our first song should be, I have no idea what I want to walk down the aisle to. Sigh. Good Luck!

51 BroccoliHut August 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Haha! It’s so funny that you posted this now, because Seth and I spent much of last weekend trying to figure out a song. We haven’t settled on the song yet, but we have it narrowed down to a few favorites. We were the same way though–we don’t really have a song that is “ours.”

52 Laura @ sweatingforit August 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

We danced to “I can’t buy you anything but love,” which is an Ella Fitzgerald song. We used a version that a local jazz band had released which we loved. It was short, which was important, and was by a band that we both loved. We both ended up surprising the other with engravings on each other’s ring with lyrics from the song!

53 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

We danced to “My Best Friend” by Tim McGraw – there are a lot of great country songs out there that could fit in with your rustic country theme!

This song had no sentimental value to us (it does now), but I always loved the words to the song. It was perfect!

54 Maureen August 23, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I LOVE that song! We almost chose it for our 1st dance, but went with something else.

55 Melissa August 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm

We danced to Keith Urban’s “Your Everything.” There wasn’t any particular reason besides the fact that I loved the song and felt like it just described us perfectly. I also love country music, and he likes pretty much any song I like. It worked out pretty well. :)

56 Andrea August 22, 2012 at 9:05 pm

“Our song” is Faithfully by Journey but the words weren’t quite exactly what I was going for so we used that for the anniversary dance (where all the couples come to the dance floor and they call the number of years married and those couple step away starting with 1 hour until the longest married couple is left). I picked (because my hubby didn’t care) “Lost in This Moment by Big & Rich because it talks about a wedding day. I love it!

57 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} August 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Nope – it doesn’t matter! We danced to fly me to the moon by Sinatra we also shortened all the first dance songs to 2 minutes – its awkward and everyone is staring and everyone loses attention quickly!!

58 Hallie August 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

We are dancing to “we are man and wife” by Michelle Featherstone. There is really no “special meaning” for us. I’ve just always love the song and finally found someone who fit the words.

You’ll hear a song one day and it will all fit into place. :)

59 Liz August 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

We danced to “In My Life” by the Beatles. “Our song” when we were dating is The Scientist, by Coldplay, but that’s about breaking up. We went through a couple of choices before we settled on that for the first dance song. When you’re picking a song, remember to keep it SHORT unless you’re doing something choreographed, because it’s really quite boring and awkward. Same with father-daughter and mother-son dances.

60 Kelly August 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Years from now you may remember what you danced to…and maybe you won’t, but you’ll remember how special that moment was no matter what. My husband and I danced to “Someone Like You” by Van Morrison- it’s classic, sweet, and I still get teary eyed when I hear it randomly playing on the radio or in a movie.
Congrats on the upcoming wedding! :)

61 Aimee @ Happy Medium August 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Carlo and I danced to “You Send Me” by Sam Cooke because we both love that oldies/motown/old soul/r&b thing, especially Sam Cooke. We never really had a song that was “ours” officially, and though we had a few rock songs that are meaningful to us, we didn’t want to use them for our first dance. “You Send Me” was also perfect for us because it expressed what we wanted to say without being too sappy – I didn’t want to cry my eyes out in front of my entire family!

The harder decision I had to make song-wise was for the father-daughter dance. My advice on that is let your dad pick. :)

62 Jamie August 22, 2012 at 10:12 pm

We danced to Oh! Darling by The Beatles. It was a pretty easy decision because we both love The Beatles and it’s one of my favorite songs ever. We also took dance lessons and learned to Rumba to the beat. Everything turned out great because it was easy to dance to and it was relatively short. Good luck picking!

63 Samantha August 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I think it only matters if it’s important to you guys. Nobody will remember whether or not you had a special song – they’ll remember your day and the things you did to make it special to fit your personalities. My boyfriend and I have a song – “Only You Can Love Me This Way” by Keith Urban. I’m obsessed with music and Keith is one of my favorite artists. Dustin doesn’t care that much about music, but when he heard this song, he immediately said “This is exactly how I feel about you…it’s our song.” So that’s stuck for the last three years.

64 JoAnna August 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

First dance songs do not in any way shape or form have to be “slow.” Just saying. If you like it, thats all that matters. My cousin danced to “start me up” by the rolling stones. And it was amazing.

65 Kris August 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Our song was “Just the Way You Are” by Billy Joel – and we are celebrating 20 years on September 5!!!

66 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Like you, we had some “special songs”, but not a good slow song. So I put it out to the internet (my friends and readers). We ended up coming up with this song:
“Yours Alone”
I love that it’s both a man and a woman singing.
Others that I put on our potential list were:
“True Companion” by Marc Cohn
“Someone Like You” by Emmy Lou Harris or Van Morrison (both totally different songs)
“Looking in the Eyes of Love” by Alison Krause

67 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Also, one of “our songs” is “Accidentally in Love” by the Counting Crows, so we had it as our entrance song.

68 Heather August 23, 2012 at 1:04 am

OMG I thought way too much about this too. I loved this Lyle Lovett song – Nobody Knows Me – and Mark and I danced to it once before in his dorm when I promptly decided that was our wedding song and never thought about it again. Fast forward 10 years to the engagement when I tell Mark about the song, which he loves and remember but thinks is too slow. Nooooo. I searched and hunted, and he rejected every song. A few weeks before the wedding I play the Lyle Lovett song for him again and he says let’s do this one! So we did.

69 Marie August 23, 2012 at 6:36 am

We danced to Tim McGraw’s – My Best Friend, we love country and it fit us!

70 Ashley @ This Is The Place August 23, 2012 at 7:45 am

We danced to “Everything” by Michael Buble. It was the song that was playing in the restaurant when Patrick told me he loved me for the first time. I looooved the song. So when he proposed, he took me back to the same restaurant and had them play the song while he was on one knee.

Yup, sappiest story ever. ;)

71 Lauri August 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

We have never had a song and I wanted to avoid the typical wedding first dance songs…We danced to “Babylon” by David Grey…David Grey;s first CD came out when we were in a period in our relationship of sort of getting back together after some time apart and we both loved the CD and the song and that just reminds me of that time in our lives, plus I love the words!

I was actually more excited about the song with my Dad – When i was born was when “isn’t She Lovely” by stevie Wonder came out and he always said he wanted to dance with me at my wedding to that song ever since I was a baby – and we did! I tear up whenever I hear that song!! I also loved our Intro song – “Centerfield” by John Fogarty since I love baseball!

72 Nikole August 23, 2012 at 8:31 am

We danced to “I just got started loving you” by James Otto. We lived in two different cities when dating and every time that song came on my husband would send me a text saying he was thinking of me.
My favorite song was for the father/daughter dance. I chose “I loved her first “. It made my dad cry!

73 Margo August 23, 2012 at 8:47 am

Not only did we not have “our song” while we were dating, but we both have very different taste in music. Picking our first dance was definitely tough! I had always loved the song Calico Skies by Paul McCartney, and when I played it for my husband he really liked it too! It’s a quick one too, which was nice because we were both nervous about dancing in front of everyone. The song was played at a wedding over the weekend, and we instantly hit the dance floor. It’s really fun having a song that takes us back to our special day!

74 Melanie August 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

We danced to This Magic Moment by The Drifters :-) It was perfect :-)

75 selin August 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

Ours was At Last by Etta James. I was so stressful and I did not care about the song until the week before the wedding (we did not have a special song either). I told my husband to find a song and think about dance moves along with it ( we took Waltz and Swing classes couple of years ago). The day before the wedding, he listed 20 songs, we selected Etta James and practiced a small choreography by combining Waltz and Swing :))) It was perfect at the wedding, everyone liked our Waltz-Swing moves and the song (nobody understood that those moves were hybrid) :D We do have a special song now :) Funny fact: my husband confessed me that he found the songs by searching on youtube (he searched for best wedding songs, first dance songs etc.). But he did a good job :))

76 Christa August 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

I just heard Lady Antebellum’s “Heart of the World”. Not a typical first dance song, but the first verse starts out with them leaving their wedding and the next couple verses are about their life together. It has a good tempo and the line ” We’re meant to be, baby hold on to me. You’ll never not be my girl” is so stinking sweet.
I was born in May, so my dream has always been to dance with my dad to “My Girl”

77 Poptartyogini August 23, 2012 at 11:15 am

Our song was by a local band that my husband likes. Now the song has special meaning. My recommendation for the first dance is to keep it at a minute or less. It is fun of course but a minute is a LONG time. Just a thought.

78 Laura @ My Pink Thumb August 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

We danced to “When You Love Someone” by Bryan Adams.. the song didn’t have a meaning to us per-se, but i’ve loved the song since I first heard it as a young teen and always wanted it to by my wedding song. The lyrics give me goose bumps every time I hear it.

79 BRunner August 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

I try to thinking about the first dance song, in my case I think it should be our song. Actually every lover has own love song right? for me it should be that. so it will be “Hold on” Michael Bluble. Perfect!

80 Holly August 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My husband and I danced to “The Luckiest” by Ben Folds. There was no real special meaning behind the song (we like Ben Folds and felt the song had a great message) when we picked it. But the awesome thing about that is we made it special to us by choosing it as our first dance song and now whenever I hear it, I am reminded that I am the luckiest! :)

81 duddes02 August 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

“Fake Empire” by The National.

amazing.

82 duddes02 August 23, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I should add my favorite lyrics:

“Turn the lights off, say good night,
No thinking for a little while.
Let’s not try to figure out
Everything at once

It’s hard to keep keep track of you
falling through the sky
We’re half awake in our fake empire…”

83 kathleen @ fittitudefreedom August 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

We picked an oldie but goodie song for our wedding. “Moon River” by Andy Williams. I listened to Andy Williams music growing up and always loved this song. However, we never got to hear our song because of technical audio difficulties with our iPod and cordless speakers. My husband & I did not have a band or DJ because it was a very small wedding with just family and close friends and decided a little background music would be enough.

84 Stephanie Clement August 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I got married July 2nd, 2012….and we ARE music people! We love it so, so much. Totally defines who we are as people and as a couple. We love classic rock (would die for Pink Floyd), anything creative, ‘out-there’, new, and filled with “musical integrity” as we like to say (nothing digitally re-vamped). This made me panic so hard for our first dance. What would our friends think if we played an overly cheesy song? Can we even PLAY something like Pink Floyd and not totally horrify our mothers? (nope). I think I had a similar panic like you. The summer of 2011 was Adele central. Everyone knew who she was, and everyone was just as sick of her songs being played over and over; though, her talent was and still is totally undeniable. I heard “Make You Feel My Love” by total chance one day in a friend’s apartment. Now, I am totally not a gushy, sappy, girly-girl by any means (I’d honestly rather kick a boys ass in a video game and get a pedicure). With that said, I leaned against a wall, slid to the ground, and KNEW this was the song. I texted my husband (then fiancee) to listen to it and he felt the same way. We were THRILLED! Finally a great song, few people knew, by an artist people admired, it was romantic but I didn’t feel it was TOO cheesy (there needs to be some element of fromage in the first dance song….it’s kind of a must). Anyways, things went a long, details finalized, and the day came.

And you know what? The first dance came and went. It was done. Nobody said anything about the song- the only comments made were about our hilarious dancing skillz (read: awful). I relized at the end of the night that it didn’t matter what the hell the song was. It could have been anything, because like you, we didn’t have a “song” either (well, one that was appropriate). So it just didn’t have a whole lot of meaning. We did it out of tradition, and while I’m glad we did the first dance (you know, for the memories), looking back it didnt matter.

I write you this just to let you know that right now so many of the details seem important and that they’ll totally impact the day. They won’t. I promise. The most important thing is you and Derek. That’s it (well that and making sure the mums have enough tissue).

Hope this helps a bit :) Also- feel free to use the song…I still love it and think it’s great :) Like all first-dance songs, it’ll just be another thing added to the list that our future children will make fun of us for ;P

85 Maureen August 23, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hubby & I danced to “Bless The Broken Road” by Rascal Flatts. We had originally decided on another song, but one day we were in the car fighting….like big argument fight….a few months before our wedding. Then this song came on the radio {we’d never heard it before} and hubby reached over, grabbed my hand said “I want this to be our first dance song.” Needless to say, we made up immediately! To this day when that song comes on, I cannot help but smile. And if we are together when we hear it, doesn’t matter where we are, we’ll start dancing. :)

86 Katie August 24, 2012 at 7:21 am

I have to add mine since I see no one else has mentioned it: our first dance was to “Lovely Tonight” by Joshua Radin. Initially I was about to choose it as my song to walk down the aisle to, but then changed it over to first dance instead! I knew that pretty much all of our guests would have no idea what the song was/would never have heard it before, but I didn’t care. The words seemed perfect, and the song has a little bit of an upbeat vibe to it so it doesn’t seem quite as sappy as some other songs even though the words totally pull at my heartstrings.

“You are lovely tonight. You, dear, will guide me into the morning light. You are lovely tonight….lay here beside me, I see the rest of my life with you…”

87 Kristen August 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

I actually have a pretty cool first dance picked out! And I don’t know the artist OR the name!

My grandfather had a wedding band when he was in his 20′s. He was very big in the 1960′s Southwest Baltimore church hall circuit :)
Anyway, at some point they had one of their performances recorded. When my grandfather passed away 4 years ago, my grandmother gave all of her children and grandchildren a copy of the performance. The songs are definitely dated and they weren’t the best band, but they had a couple of slow songs that we could definitely use.

The very first song on the cd starts with my grandfather welcoming the crowd and announcing the first dance is about to begin. Seriously, does it get any better than that? I don’t care who the artist is, or what the song was. It was slow enough to dance to, so that sealed the deal for me.

Guess who is going to be a ball of tears?

88 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Oh my gosh, I love that this is what you’re doing! I would be a mess!

89 Molly August 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

I don’t know anything of what my wedding will be…I’ve never been the girl to plan it. Sure, as I have gotten older and seen more weddings a few ideas, likes and dislikes have popped into my head, but nothing drastic. That is, everything but the first dance. I have two songs that I think are perfect: “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison or “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You” by Lady Antebellum (Van’s song was always my number one for YEARS until I heard this one. It’s amazing, I suggest you check it out :) )

90 Sarah August 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

My parents chose Twist and Shout by the Beatles so they could just do the twist and didn’t actually have to slow dance. Its a cute song and the story is fun.

91 Michelle M August 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

My 1st husband (sounds horrible, sorry , we are better friends than married even though it’s suppose to be for life-don’t judge lol) and I didn’t pick a song at all, in fact we completely forgot about it. SO our wedding day came and literally the DJ said , “ok what am I playing for the first dance?” He picked Earth Angel (because it was from back to the future, one of his fave movies) It was so super sweet and now every time I hear it , I smile. Good memories and no stress

92 Monica August 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Eight years ago we danced to When I Saw You by Mariah Carey.

93 Brittany August 25, 2012 at 8:42 am

My husband and I danced to I won’t give up- Jason Mraz. I was in a similar situation to yours. At first we didn’t really care, then as time went on I panicked and started looking at everything I could find on the Internet. It turned out that I did care, and I wanted something that could stay with us and have a good meaning forever, and not something cheesy that was a “usual” first dance song. I was really happy with our pick.

94 Dione August 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Funny that you brought this up, I don’t remember our first song either. We never had a song and then when the time came picked something spur of the moment. My husband does a better job remembering it, when he hears it on the radio or in a store he always points it out. Without him, I would probably forget all about it.

95 Kasandra August 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Our 1st dance song was “Love You ‘Til the End” by The Pogues (my husband’s favorite band). The song was featured in P.S. I Love You.

96 krista March 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

Ok so I let my fiance picked our first dance song because I picked everything else so far. He is a huge techno fan. Needless to say he picked a somewhat fast song. The words are cute but its just sort of fast. Anyone do a fast song for the first dance? Im not the type if person to breakout in an actual dance either. I dont like eyes on me. I feel awkward. If we didnt have to do a first dance I totally would not. But the song means a lot to him. Any advice? The song is better half of me by dash berlin and johathan mendelson

97 Kerri Kalinski March 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am leaning towards Can’t Help Falling in Love with You by Elvis…my mom and dad danced to The Wonder of You by Elvis and actually almost danced to cant help falling in love with you. It’s a classic and since my dad passed away, I thought it would be really special to play his favorite artist at my wedding for him.

My fiance doesn’t care too much and we really cant pick one song that is perfect for us as of now & the wedding is 3 months away so with the elvis Presley song being such a classic, so elegant and because I know my mom would really love it, I think that is our #1 contendor right now. :)