more ยป" />

Back to the Grind

by Meghann on August 22, 2012

Good morning.

What a strange week I’ve had so far. How is it Wednesday already? I’m still trying to recover from the emotional roller coaster I’ve been recently – between Healthy Living Summit and losing Scooby on Monday – I think I’m still on it.

Yesterday was perfect. Maddie and I were able to escape for a few hours at our favorite local beach. She was able to remind me that it’s ok to laugh and have fun, which I think is just what I needed. She even swam all by herself for the first time, causing me to jump up and down in a moment of pride and love. She did it! She conquered a fear! If she can do that, then so can I.

183682_10102203682185083_2144692954_n.jpeg

I smiled a little more last night as I shared a few puppy Scooby photos with Derek. I took photography in high school and had dedicated a whole photo project to Scooby right after we got him. Two rolls of film contained nothing but puppy Scooby and I was thankful to find some of those photos yesterday. Hard to believe he was ever that small.

IMG_9639.jpg

Can you stand the cuteness?!

I have more photos in my old photography portfolio back home. I’ll be attending a childhood friend’s baby shower on Sunday and plan to make a pit stop at home to pick them up. I would also like to see where they laid Scooby to rest. My mom told me yesterday afternoon that they placed him right next to Abbie, I think they both would have liked that.

I’m sorry for the doggie overload. Like I said, my emotions are a mess right now and I’m still trying to figure out how to handle it all. I know it will just take time to heal our hearts and time is something that, thankfully, moves quickly.

I distracted myself this morning with a new challenge.

I figured I would give “The Wedding Workout” a test drive for a couple of weeks and see how I like it. I’m still hoping to dive into Crossfit, but I want to save my money and start a Crossfit routine three months out from my wedding to guarantee that I’ll be able to afford it. Crossfit may be known for results, but it certainly ain’t cheap.

Workout A was short and quick. I kept the weights relatively high since the reps and sets were so low and still managed to get a good burn out of it.

I was also rocking my new HLS themed Five Bamboo headband.

Screen shot 2012-08-22 at 10.35.35 AM.png

I may or may not have stolen one in every color (what? we had extra!). They were a total surprise when we opened the Five Bamboo boxes on Thursday and there was a lot of buzz going around about them through the weekend – I think they were a hit.

Five Bamboo is one of those awesome companies that I really believe in. Their clothes are super soft, they’re conscious of their impact on the environment, and they believe in supporting the little guys (hello, Healthy Living Summit!). I also love that it’s run by a group of 5 siblings – my dad’s company is a family business, too, that he runs with his brothers/my uncles.

Unfortunately the HLS headbands are not for sale, but if you’re interested in any of the other Five Bamboo products, use the discount code HLS2012 at check-out for 20% off your order until September 30.

Breakfast!

Spinach and eggs in a tortilla wrap

with a side of peach

I was sort of obsessed with all the eggs at HLS this weekend and am looking forward to incorporating more savory based breakfasts in my morning routine this week. The eggs with spinach totally hit the post-workout spot this morning.

It was nice having yesterday off, but I need to get back to the grind. So many post-HLS emails and tasks to catch-up on!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 22, 2012 at 10:55 am

I’m sure those headbands are awesome! I still LOVE wearing my FiveBamboo HLS hoodie from last year. It’s definitely a favorite in my wardrobe!

2 Allison August 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

Heydontapologize for writing about your loss. Those little guys worm their way into our hearts. And I think one hard thing is that we can’t communicate to them. We can’t tell them that we are sorry they hurt or that we are trying to makeitbetter.

3 Michele August 22, 2012 at 11:50 am

Crossfit is expensive but well worth it! You’re going to love it!

4 Reenie August 22, 2012 at 11:55 am

It’s as if Maddy was saying….. look at me Scooby ~ I did it ~ I’m swimming!! Ahhhhh =)

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Love that book! It’s got so many great routines in it – I used it before I went to Mexico and it definitely helped me out.

6 Erin August 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m catching up on blogs and I’m sitting here in tears about Scooby – I am so sorry Meghann! Dogs truly are a member of the family and it’s so hard when they’re gone. I’m sure Scooby knew how much you all loved him.

We rescued my dog last August and she’s part lab but was never introduced to the water, so I would be equally as psyched if/when she learns to swim!!

7 Karen August 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Just curious. What happened to the trainer and the program he designed?

8 Meghann August 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm

It didn’t work out. It was a group thing and I was traveling a lot during the beginning of the program and never found it in me to start with them. Plus, the meal plan that was included was a little light on calories for my taste.

9 Stacey August 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I just tried the Five Bamboo coupon code and it did not work.

10 Stacey August 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Ignore my comment. It did not work because I had a sale item in my cart. The code works on full price items.

11 Annette @FitnessPerks August 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I need to get something from Five Bamboo!! Their stuff is amazing looking!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Scooby was adorable as a puppy!!!! And I love my headband, although mine says something different! Haha I guess I didn’t realize they were all different!

13 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat August 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Those Maddie photos on the beach are too cute! You should giveaway an extra headband on your blog. Those are adorable!

14 Meghan August 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Have you run in the headbands yet? Do the slide back??

15 Meghann August 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yes, I have. They slid a little, but I’ve run with worse.

16 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Yay Maddie! I bet you are such a proud mom! Love the pics!

17 Danielle August 22, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I’m loving my headband too (and I took a couple extra – oops!).
Check out http://www.thetravelingwod.com for some at-home CrossFit ideas. I would love to try out Crossfit some more but a) it is pricey and b) there isn’t a location close to me right now. At home workouts it is! For now, at least.

18 Kim@hungryhealthygirl August 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Glad you got to have a great day with maddie and remember scooby throughso many photos. It’s getting back to the grind after a loss. Hang in there!

19 Kat @ balanceandspice August 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

When I was fifteen, within the course of three months my father died, and my 8-year-old golden retriever, Annie died, both suddenly and with no warning. The loss of my father was shocking and impossible to process, and the following loss of my fantastic dog was the lowest blow imaginable. The grief was indescribable. However, I now see how much loosing my beautiful Annie taught me about how to deal with the cycle of life, with grief, and with moving on even when it feels impossible. Dogs make us braver, wiser, and more compassionate beings. They are such sources of light, and I send you and your family love and prayers.

20 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m confused. Are you going to do CrossFit, or crossfit, like cross train? Are you going to a CrossFit affiliated gym, or are you going to start some crossfit/crosstraining? I can recommend some great affiliates in your area, if that’s what you’re looking to do, CrossFit.

21 Meghann August 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’m going to do CrossFit, like the CrossFit Boxes/ gyms. If you know of good ones – let me know!