My Little Swimmer

by Meghann on August 21, 2012

Thank you for all of your kind words on my Scooby post this morning. It was not an easy post to write emotionally, but I feel so much better having it out there. Scooby lived a long, beautiful life and he will be missed more than he will ever know.

I also wanted to share the comment my mom left at the bottom of the post.

“Meghann, what a lovely tribute to our scooby. This post lifted my spirits. It brought so many memories to my mind. Some of them bring a laugh, and some of them a tear. I am sitting here, reflecting on his life and what he brought to our family. 10 wonderful years of laughing, playing, protecting and loving us unconditionally. I couldn’t have asked for a better dog. Tears are running down my face, as I selfishly wish he was sitting by my feet, looking up at me and asking for dinner. I have to imagine he is in a better place, free of pain and having a great time. Scooby was loved so very much and will live in our hearts forever.

I also want to thank all of you who wrote the lovely comments today. Your sympathy has been comforting to our family.”

I spoke with my mom earlier this afternoon and I think she’s still in shock. She couldn’t get over how strange and empty the house felt when she came home from work and Scooby wasn’t waiting for her by the door. I think that’s the hardest part at the beginning – coming to peace with the fact that your dog won’t be there to greet you every time you come home.

Scooby was an expert door watcher.

Maddie and I had to get out of the house today. I packed us a lunch and we headed to the dog beach at Honeymoon Island.

The last time we were here, Scooby and my parents were with us. Scooby LOVED the beach – he was always the happiest when he was splashing in the waves or rolling in the sand. It seemed only fitting that we would celebrate his life in a place that meant so much to him.

And, as luck would have it, Maddie even made a couple of new friends at the beach.

That’s Chopper and Duncan, she followed the boys EVERYWHERE.

Even into the water.

Maddie was doing this cute thing where she was standing on her hind legs when ever a wave came, so I went and grabbed my camera to capture it. Maddie is usually a “I‘ll stay on the beach while you go after that ball in the deep water” kinda girl, but she kept getting braver and braver on how deep she would go.

Just as I snapped my first photo of her on her hind legs, she fell forward and decided to just go for it.

Maddie was SWIMMING and it wasn’t just because we dropped her in the deep water and told her to “go!” This was all her!

You know you’re a proud fur-mama when you start jumping up and down and screaming in delight that your dog is swimming, then immediately wish you were recording it on video instead of just snapping photos. #furmamaproblems

(p.s. that isn’t me in the photos – just a new friend we met on the beach)

Somewhere I know Scooby is smiling down on Maddie’s new milestone.

Lunch!

A salad, crackers, mixed nuts, applesauce, and La Croix for mama.

Milkbone for Maddie.

Oh, and plenty of water.

We hung out at the beach for a couple of hours and just relaxed. My phone didn’t have any service, so it was nice to take a break from any and all technology. It was just me, Maddie, and a few of our new beach friends. I think it was just the getaway we needed.

And that’s why dogs rule – even if your heart is breaking over losing one, another one is there reminding you to live and love life to the fullest.

Scooby will be missed, but life will go on and it will go on with love, laughter, and dancing in the waves – just as Scooby would have wanted it to.

1 CAROLYN August 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Sounds like a nice day for you and Maddie. How cute is she in the waves!

2 Aria August 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Yay for Maddie swimming! She’s a brave little dog :)

Oh and ps your mom is so sweet. You & your family are in my thoughts during this tough time <3

3 Meghan August 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

A great tribute! ..and I wish I had a dog beach by me to take Pickles! The closest one is an hour away! But, I’d always have those memories to add so I might just take him!

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm

That sounds like the perfect afternoon to just get away and enjoy some time with Maddie! And good job to her for swimming! My brother’s dog Molly went to a dog beach last week and swam for her first time too! Haha she was so scared of the waves at first!

5 Kathy August 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Oh that last picture with the tongue ….looking so wonderfully exhausted ….it precious. ;-)

6 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Sounds like the perfect afternoon to get away for a little while.

I love watching my parents jack Russell/Miniature Pinscher play in the water – it’s the cutest thing in existence.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Wouldn’t-Believe-It’s-Healthy-Lasagna.

7 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It August 21, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Beautiful note from your mom! It’s definitely a lonely feeling in the beginning. She has grandogs that will help with that though.

Looks like a fab time at the beach. Way to go, Maddie!
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Smoothie Fail

8 Laura August 22, 2012 at 12:35 am

What a sweet comment from your Mom. I totally balled while reading your last two posts because i reminded me of losing my last dog, Max. Hang in there. Maddie loves you! :)
Laura recently posted..Cravings, much?

9 Becky @ runfundone August 22, 2012 at 1:42 am

Oh man! My dog is such an awesome swimmer, but she HATES it! When I lived in FL, I brought her to dog beach every weekend. And she had a great time running around and playing with the other dogs, but as soon as they went swimming, she ran away and found new, non-swimming friends! :)
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Finally Getting Around to the Liebster

10 Jody August 22, 2012 at 7:51 am

Aw, what a great way to honor Scooby! I didn’t comment yesterday because I was sitting in my cube with tears running down my face and couldn’t put any words together. But Scooby clearly had the best life possible and so does Maddie. That is so amazing that she SWAM! Go Maddie!! Okay, you have me crying again today so I think we need that vibrator give away soon to lighten the mood :)

11 Emily N August 22, 2012 at 8:13 am

I am glad that you and Maddie had a wonderful day and Maddie had a new milestone. I am certain Scooby had a big doggie grin watching her.
Emily N recently posted..Back into it – Starting Week 10

12 Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries August 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

I always think i’s totally a blessing in disguise when your phone doesn’t have service on the beach/in the park/etc….makes you appreciate what’s right in front of you!

Glad you had a good day with your puppy!

13 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 22, 2012 at 9:55 am

Sounds like a perfectly therapeutic day. Glad you are finding peace.
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..Healthy Living Summit 2012

14 Candice August 22, 2012 at 10:01 am

So sorry about your pup! Losing a pet is really, really hard. We just lost one of our dogs a few weeks back. Stay strong!
Candice recently posted..This Is What 24 Feels Like…

15 Alicia August 22, 2012 at 10:01 am

What a great day! You totally deserve some technology free time off! I am jealous of your beach time!
Alicia recently posted..Healthy Living Summit 2012: Saturday!

16 Nanci August 22, 2012 at 10:08 am

Oh my goodness, the picture of Maddie standing up for the wave is TOO cute!! What a brave little girl! Love it! What a great way to remember Scooby. :)
Nanci recently posted..Physical Therapy, Day 1

17 Laura August 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Can I just tell you that everytime I see a picture of Maddie, she makes me smile. She is so adorable and I love how she looks straight into the camera for pictures. So cute!! Sounds like you guys needed a day on the beach!

18 Amber August 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Awww. This was so sweet. Scooby is just chillin up in heaven so proud of Maddie. Loved that pic of her trying to jump the wave. Such a cute baby.
Amber recently posted..Tisk Tisk Tollway Tolls

19 BroccoliHut August 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm

You are so right that when you lose a dog, having another one around is such a gift. I was so happy to have Margot to comfort me when we lost our dog Ted last December.
I’m so glad you and Maddie had such a blast at the beach!