more ยป" />

My Heart is Breaking

by Meghann on August 21, 2012

I’ve been doing my best to keep it together. I dove into executing the Healthy Living Summit this weekend and didn’t give myself a chance to think about anything else. It was a big weekend, an exciting weekend, but deep inside my heart was breaking.

On Thursday I got the phone call I knew had been coming for a while. It was Scooby, he wasn’t doing well, and my parents had made an appointment to put him to sleep on Monday. I was in Boston, surrounded by 200 people who were expecting me to put on a happy face, and there was nothing I could do about it. I hung up the phone and immediately broke down in the middle of the shuttle bus I was taking to Harvard Square.

Scooby was more than just a pet, he was a member of our family, and I felt like I wasn’t just losing a dog, I was losing my friend, my brother.

RainbowBridge.jpg

My family brought Scooby home when he was just a puppy. It was November 2002 and the day we picked him up, was also the same day I was throwing my best friend Allison a surprise party for her 18th birthday. We had spent the day being pampered at the spa and the plan was to lure her inside with the promise of meeting the new puppy. We were greeted at the door with puppy Scooby, and she was so taken-in by the little ball of fur that it took a minute for her to catch on that the house was full of 50 of her closest friends yelling “surprise!”

He didn’t have a name right away. My dad and brother were calling him P.D. (as in “Puppy Dog”), but we knew (or really told them) that that couldn’t last forever. It was my sister’s friend Adrian who told us he looked like a “Scooby.” Scooby? You know what, he does. Scooby it was.

Scooby was basically still a pup when I went to college less than a year later, but the funny thing is I don’t remember him being a pup. He grew so fast in the first year that he was already being a dubbed the “old man” before his time. He was big for a boxer, weighing close to 90 lbs at his heaviest (the poor dog had to be on weight control dog food for most of his life). He was also tall, with broad shoulders and a huge, loving face. He was our gentle giant. He was big, but he was lovable and wouldn’t harm a fly (though he did scare off one or two delivery men in his day).

IMG_9636.jpg

I missed him terribly while I was at school. I loved going home on the weekends and spoiling Scooby with extra long walks around the neighborhood and letting him sleep on my bed at night. I even took him out for doggie ice cream cones and brought him to the river to play in the sun.

100_0578.JPG

Scooby became an uncle for the first time when I got Abbie in 2007.

CIMG1064.JPG

They were best buds.

DSCN1955.JPG CIMG6385.JPG CIMG1062.JPG CIMG1075.JPG

Then, when we lost Abbie, I could tell Scooby was hurting a little inside too. What happened to his best friend?

When Maddie, Oliver, Sadie, and Presley eventually came along, it sounds funny, but he welcomed them all with open paws. He really was the “Uncle” of the group. All of the dogs showed him respect and he showed them how it was done. He played fetch, ran laps, ate bones, and never got in a fight with any of them. He just wanted to play.

IMG_0017.JPG DSCF6653.JPG IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_0046.JPG

Back in February my Dad noticed Scooby was developing a slight limp when he walked. The vet assumed it was hip dysplasia and gave my Dad some supplements to lube up his joints. When the limp continued to grow more debilitating, we knew something was up. He was unofficially diagnosed with Canine Degenerative Mylopathy (there’s a great informative video about the progressive disease here) back in May. The disease (also known as DM) is the canine’s version of ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease and is fairly common in older large breed dogs. Basically, the nerves in the spinal cord stop communicating with the brain and the dog slowly loses his/her ability to walk and do basic functions. Once the symptoms start, most dogs have anywhere between 6 months and a year.

I’m not sure what’s worse, losing your dog suddenly or watching them slowly deteriorate and knowing they don’t have much time left. Even though Scooby’s body was failing him, his mind was still there. He had trouble walking on tile and standing up straight, but that didn’t stop him from running to the door every time there was a knock, that didn’t stop him from lighting up when someone mentioned going on a w-a-l-k, and that didn’t stop him from bringing you a toy any time you sat on the floor. If he was in any pain, he never let any of us know it – he just wanted to play, he was still a puppy at heart and he never lost that spirit.

My parents did everything they could to keep Scooby as comfortable as possible. When he could no longer walk up the stairs on his own anymore, they carried him. And when my Dad went out of town and my mom couldn’t carry Scooby upstairs on her own, my mom slept in the bed downstairs, so Scooby wouldn’t be alone. They still took him on walks, though he couldn’t go far. And they still threw him his toys, though not as high or far as they used to.

IMG_2015.JPG

My mom said Scooby would let us know when he was ready to go, so when I got that call on Thursday, I knew something must have happened. My parents loved Scooby like their own child, making that decision was not something they would ever take lightly, but when your pet gets to that point, the only thing you can do is set them free.

It’s strange having a set appointment and knowing when your dog will sleep his last sleep. Do you start mourning him before he’s gone or pretend it isn’t going to happen? What else can you do, but give them the best weekend you possibly can leading up to it. While my heart was breaking thousands of miles away, my family was coming together in Florida to celebrate the life of Scooby. Family friends dropped in and gave Scooby his last hugs, he feasted on steak, cupcakes, and pancakes (his favorites), he wore a green bandana instead of restrictive collar, and he followed the kiddos around as if it was any other weekend. They even took him to his favorite spot on the river, though he could only stay there a short while before Scooby needed to get home.

426588_4196430836350_1295287089_n.jpeg

I wanted to be there, I wanted to see him, I wanted to give him all of the kisses and hugs that I fear I didn’t give him enough of last time I saw him, but I had a job to do and too many people counting on me at HLS. It was a weird mix of emotions, feeling torn up inside because you can’t be with your family as they say their last good-byes and feeling the stress and anxiety of executing an event you’ve given everything you’ve had the last couple of months. There were times I would escape to my room just to be alone for a good cry. I was a mess. I also couldn’t sit still. I wanted to sit in on the sessions, but my mind was racing too fast to concentrate on anything. I discovered the only way to get through the weekend was to push everything out of my mind and to constantly be moving.

387009_10102640876608921_1329770769_n.jpeg

My flight landed back in Tampa just after midnight and I woke up Monday morning with my stomach in knots around 7:00. I called my dad to see how he was doing and he seemed as loss as I felt about the situation. Scooby was at his feet whining for breakfast, and he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to feed him or not. He went back and forth under his breath, about as close as I was close to losing it right then and there.

621989_4168292697326_536224550_o.jpeg

I wanted to drive home, but my dad told me not to. He reminded me that I said my good-byes the last time I saw Scooby in July and I should save those memories. My dad wanted to keep the memorial services quiet and, honestly, I think he just simply wanted to be alone, to grieve on his own.

I hung up and waited.

8:30am. Scooby went peacefully at 8:30am.

I gave Maddie a big hug and cried into her fur. As she sat there, unmoving, I think part of her somewhat knew what was going on and, deep inside, she was also quietly grieving for her Uncle Scooby.

ScoobyRIP.jpg

RIP Scoobs. We miss you boy, but we know you’re in a better place.

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

I am tearing up reading this, Meghann.

Much love to your family – I know what you are feeling. We lost our beloved pup in December and it’s still hard to believe.

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

Here’s another tribute post I wrote…

3 CAROLYN August 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

He had a great life and loved by a great family. Hugs to you. And now, I re apply my make up.

4 Laura August 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

i am bawling. i know how hard it is to have to put a pet to sleep. be strong – your family is with you and you know he’s in a better place. he’s looking over you now :)

5 katie August 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am sending you so much love right now, to your family as well <3

My heart broke for you when you got that call Thursday and I was sitting next to you helpless. I am so happy Scooby is at peace though now. You and your family gave him a beautiful life <3

6 Kaye August 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

What a wonderfully loved dog…I had tears in my eyes at the end…

7 Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash August 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

I am so sorry for your loss Meghann. It is clear you have many good memories of Scooby; thank you for sharing some of them with us.

8 Laura August 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

Read this at work and was starting to cry. So sorry for your loss :(

9 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m so sorry for your loss Meghann :(. Dogs are definitely a part of families and it sounds like Scooby was a BIG part of yours. You guys made the right decision. Stay strong! <3

10 Jessica August 21, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am so sorry for your loss, they are definitely family members and Scooby had a great life and a great family.

11 Julie August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Oh Meghann, I am so, so sorry. Losing a pet is so hard, but you and your family loved him so much and gave him such a great life. He was a lucky pup to have been so loved. XOXO.

12 Aimee @ Happy Medium August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Oh Meghann, I’m so sorry. You put on such a brave face all weekend. I had no idea. :(

13 Erin August 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

Huge hugs. Huge. There is no other pain like losing a furry family member. Cry as much as you want. Anyone who has been there won’t blame you one bit.

14 Dori August 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m crying. This was a really beautiful tribute to Scooby, and I am so sorry for your loss. I’m going through a loss myself right now and like you, struggled a lot with it during HLS. I wish you told me so we could have cried together. Thinking of you today.

15 Samantha August 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Meghann. Losing a pet is one of the worst heartbreaks. They’re always there for you, loving you unconditionally, and Scooby was clearly an amazing dog. Brings me right back to last Thanksgiving, when we had to put our German Shepherd down because of cancer. It’s heartbreaking in one of the worst ways. They truly are a part of your family. Sending so much love to you and your family <3

16 Gina @ Noshing on Asphalt August 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

This post absolutely broke my heart. I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved Scooby. Your tribute to him was amazing and heartfelt; you really got a feel for the wonderful dog he was. Thinking of you and your family. :(

17 Aundra Weissert @ Fit for Life August 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

Totally in tears. What a moving post. I’m so sad for you, but then you have all of these beautiful memories with Scooby. Kudos to you for holding it together all weekend, but know that your HLB/HLS friends are here for support!!

18 helen August 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

I am not a regular reader, but just stopped by and read this. I didn’t know much about Scooby, but your post still made me well up at my desk. I am very, very sorry for yours and your family’s loss. As a dog lover, I understand and can empathize. Best wishes. x

19 Lauren August 21, 2012 at 9:37 am

What a lucky dog to have so many people that loved him.

20 Miranda @ Biting Life August 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh my gosh, Meghann, this was so heart-breaking that I cried :( I know exactly how you feel… at the beginning of the summer we had to put our family cat to sleep who was months away from turning TWENTY-TWO.

My parents got him and his sister (she died three years ago) before I was even born, so I’d never known life without them. I was a mess when his sister died, because I was really close to her. It was horrible because I was away at college for my freshman year and didn’t get to be there. I still sometimes even feel kind of like it’s my fault, because she died only three weeks after I left for school.

This time, when her brother died, it was awful. My mom was so close to him, and he’d been in our family so long – longer than even I had. I was glad that I got to be there, so I could take care of my mom, but it was so hard for all of us.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be as close to another animal as I was close to them. They were my brother and sister when I was little. They were my best friends. I promise you it will get better, though. It gets easier. And he will always be there in a special place in your heart, just like mine are for me. I even got a tattoo of the word “Grace” on my wrist after his sister Grace died, and I’ll never regret it. I love knowing that she’s always there with me.

21 Abbey August 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am so sorry to hear about Scooby. I cried with you as I read your post. Please know you’re in my thoughts and I’ll give our dog an extra hug today. Remember all the good things about him and that he’s running in heaven like he did when he was a pup.

22 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am so sorry for your loss. As a fellow dog owner, I am teary up reading your post. I can’t imagine the heartbreak you are feeling. I am so sorry you are going through this and that you had to go through it during HLS. I will ask my son to say a special prayer for Scooby tonight when we do his prayers.

23 Heather August 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

balling my eyes out right now. I am so, so sorry for your loss Meghann. You did an amazing job of holding it together this weekend, maybe it was best you were so busy. We treat out dogs as family, and I don’t even want to think about the day I will have to make that decision for my 11 year old dog. I will hug my babies extra tight today for you.

24 deva by definition August 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am so so sorry. My Dreamer had this as her unofficial diagnosis and slept her last sleep in February. My heart is breaking for you. He was a good dog, Meghann, and I am so sorry.

25 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets August 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

I am tearing up at my desk. I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pup is the worst.

26 Kelly August 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m so sorry for your loss! I know how heart breaking it is to lose a beloved dog. Prayers coming your way.

27 Niki August 21, 2012 at 9:42 am

Losing a pet never gets easier, I feel for you in this hard time.

28 Katie D. August 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

I’m so sorry your family’s loss! Pets are such a vital part of a family – they provide such joy and laughter into each and every day.

My parents put our family dog down last year and I was a mess for days. I still expect Duke to run out and greet us when we go over there, I guess the reality still has set in…

29 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

Beautifully written Meghann – I was a crying mess by then end. You really gave everyone a glimpse of how Scooby was really part of your family. Let me know if you need anything.

30 Margo August 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Wow, such a beautiful post. It seems Scooby lived a great life with a very loving family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31 Sejal M August 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

I rarely comment on any blogs but I wanted to say that I can understand how you and your family are feeling. I am sorry for your loss. It is so very hard losing a member of your family, especially one who never arugues, disagrees, yells…
Healing will take time but it will happen.

32 Amanda August 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Meghann – I am so sorry for your families loss! This breaks my heart, I can only imagine how you feel! May God heal you all as you grieve. Scooby is for sure in a better place.

33 Leah August 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

Meghann, I’m so sorry for your loss and so touched by your tribute to Scooby. Boxers are definitely a special breed, and I know Scooby will be doing big-time Boxer-wiggles when you meet again.

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

As I got to the end of this post, tears are streaming down my face. I’m so sorry, Meghann. I know we just talked about this at Blogher and I’m devastated it happened so soon. Thoughts and love going out to you and your fam.

35 Alex August 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

Meghann! This breaks my heart for you. I can’t imagine how hard this is, but you know that you gave Scooby a good life full of happiness and love. He will always love you and your family for that! Hang in there. XO

36 Jennifer August 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

I am so sorry to hear about your pup :( Reading this post brought tears to my eyes as my dog is my best friend and I know she isn’t getting any younger..
Dogs truly are a man’s best friend and just like with any loss, we have to remember the good times and hold onto the memories, as hard as it is.

Stay strong and my thoughts are with you!

37 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers August 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

i am sitting here crying, crying, crying. i think that when any pet owner reads something like this, their heart breaks. i am so incredibly sorry for you and your family and the loss of scooby. he sounds like such a joy and a wonderful dog that brought so much love and energy into your home.

when my husband’s grandma lost her dog earlier this year, her boyfriend said something that i will remember forever: “i like to believe that when we go to heaven, all of the dogs from our past are waiting to greet us.”

thinking of you and your family and sending lots of hugs and love your way.

38 Jennie August 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. I cried reading this (and I’m at work)! I know you’ll all find peace with it soon, but in the meantime, remember Scooby as that happy puppy that you loved so much. Think about the wonderful life that he had with your family and how lucky he must have felt.

39 Angie August 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m sorry for your loss. Dogs become another family member and it’s hard to see them go. RIP Scooby.

40 Angela August 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m sitting here crying into my cup of tea and my heart is just breaking for you and your family. Anyone who has ever owned and loved a dog knows how you feel. They become family and they take this huge part of your heart.

You just have to remember what a wonderful life scooby had and keep those amazing memories of him in your mind. and know in your heart that he is in a more comfortable place doing what he loves; running, fetching, and having fun with no pain.
My thoughts and love go out to you and your family

41 colleen August 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

Beautiful tribute to a beloved family member. I am crying for you, your family, and our lab/first child we had to put down in 2008 due to renal failure. Hugs to you and your family.

42 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

Aaaaand I’m crying. This was beautifully written and I’m so sorry for your loss right now. I know what it’s like to lose a dog when you’re away from home, but thankfully you have Maddie there to comfort you! Scooby looks like he had an amazing life and was clearly a very well loved dog.

43 Katy Widrick August 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

I just had to hide the tears at work, because this hit so close to home. We’ve had animals my whole life so I have certainly had my share of goodbyes, and it’s ALWAYS been in the best interest of the pet…I can’t imagine forcing an animal to hold on through illness, even though it’s so heartbreaking to let them go. It doesn’t make it any easier, and I still mourn the loss of pets we had as kids.

My two dogs are about the same age as each other and I am terrified of the time when I have to say goodbye to them in quick succession. I am so sorry to your family and will think of Scooby with a smile on my face.

44 suzy August 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. My sweet 14-year-old Beagle died last week and I can’t.stop.crying. It is so hard. Hang in there.

45 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows It August 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

Meghann I am so sorry to read about this; your family loved scooby and he shared so many great memories with you all.

46 Katie @ A Full Plate August 21, 2012 at 10:01 am

I am so sorry for your loss Meghan. It was so hard not to burst into tears myself at my desk just reading this. Anyone who has had pets knows how hard it is to let them go…you really are loosing a family member. I grew up with cats and dogs and since I was an only child, they were all my siblings. Through the years I’ve had to let them go and it never gets any easier. Scooby looked like a wonderful dog and it seems like your family gave him a wonderful life full of love. I’m sending positives vibes to you and your family.

47 Kelly August 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

I knew I shouldn’t have read this at work. I’m balling like he was mine. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is breaking for all of you!

48 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane August 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

Same thing I was thinking but I just had to read. Now I’m a mess.

49 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane August 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

ugh I just broke down at work. I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are just incredible souls that add so much to our lives. May he RIP. He had such a beautiful life filled with people that loved him.

50 Jess August 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

I am so, so sorry Meghann. Thinking of you and your family.

51 Andrea August 21, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.
Reading your post made me cry – I just lost my dog a couple weeks ago, after 12 years together. It truly feels as if a member of my family has died, and still hurts so much.
My thoughts go out to you and your family.

52 Julia @ Girl vs. Food August 21, 2012 at 10:11 am

This really hit home for me and brought tears to my eyes. My family and I had to put down Princess, my 14 year old Bichon Frise, last August. Although we selfishly wanted to keep her around to avoid the pain of saying goodbye, she was in pain and it was only right to relieve her of the misery. Although it is was an extremely hard time for my family, it was wonderful relief to know that she was no longer in pain. I am so sorry for loss. Scooby looked like such a great dog/friend.

53 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

I’m so sorry about Scooby! I can’t even imagine how hard this must be for you. I’m thinking of you!

54 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It August 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

Meghann, I was crying reading your post. We don’t know each other but I truly wish I could be there to give you a hug. That is the hardest thing to go through. They ARE family!

Scoobs is 100% well now and playing up in Heaven with Abbie. Hugs!

55 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution August 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

In tears for you right now. RIP, sweet Scooby. :(

56 Jen August 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

meghann – it is so difficult and heart breaking to lose a family pet. my thoughts are with you and your family as you grieve scooby. i can only imagine it was hard for you to be away but your dad is right that you should hold on to your last goodbye and memory of him. xo

57 Sandy August 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

So sorry to hear about Scooby! We love our pets but it is so hard to let go. One year ago I lost my best friend so reading your post really hit home. I am in tears reading this and I feel your pain. Send you and your family BIG hugs!!

58 Luna665 August 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m so sorry Meghann. Loving -pets or humans- hurts.And he was surely very much loved…he’s playing with Abbie now …

59 Sarah August 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

Such a beautiful tribute, Meghann. There is really no other pain like that of losing a beloved pet. You’re right, they become family members, and they love you unconditionally to the very end. Hugs <3

60 ashley August 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

I’m So sorry we unexpected had our kitten pass away in July. I wasn’t home and felt horrible. I would just randomly burst into tears it was awful. Just try to remember the last thing Scooby would want was for you to be sad.

61 Katie August 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

I normally just read & not comment, but this has touched me so much as tears filled my eyes thinking about my childhood dog. I lost my dachshund in a very similar way. At 12 y/o she lost her ability to walk outside & do her business as well as eat. She definitely wasn’t herself. As much as you don’t want to let them go because they are a part of your family, seeing them in a constant state of discomfort makes it a tiny bit easier to want them to be at peace. It’s such a confusing & conflicting feeling of emotions. May everyday get better as you remember all the fun times you had with Scooby.

62 Dione August 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

Like everyone here I am teary and so sorry for your loss. Also like others I can relate as our family dog (my parents Sheltie Nina) had to be put down in July at the age of a 11 due to a sudden illness. Her picture is my phone backround and I get sad all the time seeing it. It’s so hard to lose a family pet as they are members of the family like anyone.

63 Katie August 21, 2012 at 10:38 am

What a wonderful, beautiful story. I am so very sorry for your loss.

64 Jacqueline August 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh Meghann, I’m so sorry to hear this. I too had to make the tough, unselfish decision on the 4th with my dog.
As hard as it is, I hope you can have peace knowing he lived a pretty darn great long life & went on his time.
My heart goes out to you & your family.

65 Gretchen August 21, 2012 at 10:42 am

Meghann, I am so, so sorry to read this. I have tears in my eyes and my heart is breaking for your loss. I know how much of a capacity for love we have for our animals, and I commend you for being able to put on a brave face all weekend at HLS. We’re all with you. <3

66 Emily N August 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

Love to your family…

67 Ellen August 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

This made me cry like a baby. My childhood dog is 18 years old and had a partial stroke 2 years ago. He’s never been 100% the same but I’ve been mourning for him for quite a while even though he’s still with us. I hope I don’t have to make the decision to put him down, but he will let us know. Thanks for sharing about Scooby. He had a great life.

68 Molly August 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

“to love life, to love it even when you have no stomach for it
and everything you have held dear crumbles like burnt paper in your hands
Your throat filled with the silt of it.
When grief sits with you, the tropical heat
thickening the air, heavy as water
fit more for gills than lungs;
when grief weights you like your own flesh
only more of it, an obesity of grief.
you think, how can my body withstand this?
Then you hold life like a face, between your palms,
a plain face
no charming eyes, no violet eyes
and you say, yes, I will take you,
I will love you again”
-Ellen Bass

I shared this quote with my friend who lost his wife earlier this month, and I think it applies any where loss is found. I get sad thinking of the day I lose my parent’s two dogs and then my own. It hurts thinking just how much they have seen your life change, and everything you have gone through…and they were always there. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

69 Amber August 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

Totally sobbing reading this. I have a boxer and know how special of a breed they are. So loving and playful. Thinking of you and your family, I can’t even imagine how hard this must be for everyone. XO

70 Paige August 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

Meghann,

I am so very sorry for your loss is Scooby. I have been in this same situation just a few short years ago. Pets are like humans in our family. They mean so much and bring so much happiness & joy to our lives. I pray that you & your family will gain peace during this difficult time as Scooby is no longer hurting.

71 amy August 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

My thoughts are with you, never easy to lose something that is part of your family.

72 Bobbi August 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hi Meghann. I’ve been reading your blog for quite awhile now, and never clicked out of Google Reader to comment. My heart breaks with you. This was such a moving post.

We lost our family dog Meisha on Sunday. She was initially my grandma’s dog, but when she died, Meisha came to live with us. We had her for 8 years before it was finally her time.

I am thinking of you and your family, and will say some prayers for you all. Pets are so very special, and you were lucky to have Scooby. He was VERY lucky to have you and your family, too.

73 Melissa August 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m so so sorry

74 Becky August 21, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Your words were a beautiful tribute to a great friend who will always be in your heart.

75 Brittani August 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

I read this in the waiting room of the doctor’s office and had to stop because I was tearing up. I’m so sorry for you and your family’s loss. I’ll be saying a prayer :-)

76 Shanna, like Banana August 21, 2012 at 10:57 am

Meghann, my heart is breaking for you and your family. This post was beautiful and I’m sitting here crying at my desk. I’ve loved reading your posts and seeing all your family pets throughout them. Scooby had a very blessed life and was lucky to have your parents and all your family.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Hugs.

77 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed August 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

Always heartbreaking losing such a dear friend. I’m so sorry for your loss.

78 Beverly Aragon August 21, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thinking of you and your family and hoping that the peace Scooby now feels will also be with all of you.
<3 <3 <3

79 Joy August 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Crying as I read this, because I know how it feels for sure. Scooby was loved and had the best possible life. What a good boy! I’m so sorry for your and your family’s loss.

80 Caitlin August 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

I teared up reading this! I never met Scooby but loved seeing his face on the blog! I know how hard it is to lose a faimly pet! :/

81 Cindy August 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m so so so sorry. My parents had to put our dog to sleep a few years back (she was 16 and lived a long and happy life) and it broke my heart. *hug*

82 Kathy August 21, 2012 at 11:11 am

This was written so nicely.

I am sure the emotions were flowing as you were writing…I felt it…I cried…I actually lost it and I think my kids thought I went a little crazy as they asked…..”Mom, why are you crying nowwwww?” ;-)

Scooby sounded wonderful!!

83 Sarah August 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

Meghann,

I am so sorry to hear about your family’s loss. It is so awful when you lose a pet, because they are truly the light in your life in so many ways. People who do not have pets rarely understand the unspoken bond between a dog and their “people” as my family says. We always make up things that we believe our dogs would say if they could speak, and I am sure Scooby is telling all of his puppy heaven friends about his amazing “people”.

Hug Maddie tight and be thankful for all the memories you have with Scooby.
He is happy and running around with no pain up their with his friends.

84 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride August 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

I am so so sorry. I had to put my cat to sleep about two weeks ago and this post immediately made me tear up again and feel that stomach pitt. It is so incredibly hard to lose a pet. I’m really sorry for your loss. Keep all those wonderful memories with Scooby fresh!

85 Jameil August 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Big hug. We got Ebony when I was in 4th grade. I cried the most about leaving her when I went to college. Everyone else would be there but what about Ebony??? I was her favorite! She made it through college and into old age. I cried and cried for days when we had to put her to sleep. I still miss her and it’s been over 7 years. Rest well, Scooby. I’m glad you knew you were loved.

86 Leah August 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’m so sorry about Scooby! What a loved doggie! I was crying so much by the end of this post, my own dog was looking at me like I was crazy.

87 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Ditto. I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t even want to think about having to put down my little April. Big hugs to you and your family.

88 Amanda August 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

I am almost crying at my desk. I have 2 large dogs that are my babies. I DREAD the day I have to deal with what you are dealing with. Give Maddie lots of love to help you get through it. You’re in my thoughts.

89 Megan August 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

What a beautifully written post. My heart is breaking for you and your family – keep hold of those wonderful memories knowing that Scooby will always be in your heart.

He sounded like an amazing dog — and was lucky to have each and every one of you. Virtual hugs.

90 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

I’m so sorry about the loss of your beloved family member. It’s always so hard to lose a pet, especially one who is such a big part of the family. My thoughts are with you and your family.

91 Emily August 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

What a well-written tribute to Scooby. I’m sorry for your family’s loss and the pain you’re feeling right now.

My parents had to put my childhood dog to sleep while I was in Germany a few years ago. I cried in the middle of a Berlin cyber cafe with no one I knew around. It’s true that good pets are like part of the family.

92 andrea August 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

I’m sorry for you loss. From reading your blog I know he had a great life!

93 Diane @ DixieJulep August 21, 2012 at 11:35 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Scooby was a lucky dog to have been so loved by your family.

94 alison August 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

Oh no!! I’m so sorry for your loss. I was definitely crying at my desk while reading that. I have an eight your old pup with similar hip issues and I know how emotional it all is. Just remember that Scooby is in a better place.

95 Danielle @ Long May You Run August 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

So sorry for your loss and your heart break… no matter how many times you lose a pet, it never gets easier. It doesn’t seem fair that they don’t live as long as us…

Last week, my family lost our 14 year old collie. Much like Scooby’s situation, he had a bad weekend (he fell when no one was home and couldn’t get up, my mom found him crying on the floor when she got home) and they made the appointment last Monday morning. I also wished I could have been there (they live in FL and I’m in NC).

If you haven’t read the poem by Rudyard Kipling called “The Power of a Dog,” go read it. Make sure you have tissues ready. I’ve always found comfort in those words.

96 gina (fitnessista) August 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

crying big tears for you. beautifully written tribute to scooby <3
sending love to you and your family.

97 Morgan August 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

You never realize how hard it is to loose your pet until it happens to you. I lost my dog a couple of years ago and for a couple of days, I didn’t think I could move on. It is so nice that you have Maddie to hold and cry to. I am so sorry. What a lucky dog to be loved so much by a family.

And what a great picture of the three dogs running in the sand, perfect.

98 Theodora August 21, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yup, crying at my desk. You did a great job holding it together this weekend. I would have been a mess.

99 Casey August 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

Meghann, so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is devastating. Scooby was obviously such a well-loved doggie. I’m so sorry you had to deal with such a tough thing while being at HLS. Praying for you and your family. <3

100 adrianne (adiecakes) August 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

I am so, so sorry for your loss. My family just went through this a couple weeks ago, having the vet appointment scheduled a couple days in advance and everything. The days leading up to it were tough, but we knew it was the right thing to do. I think the hardest part of all of it was knowing that she was the last real family dog, since my parents got the younger pup just a few months before my brother and I moved out of the house.

As tough as the situation is, know that you all did the right thing, and Scooby is up there somewhere thanking you for letting him play with Abbie again!

101 Anne P August 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What a beautiful tribute. Hugs and thinking of you. xo

102 Tiffani @ Miles In Murray August 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Scooby! I always loved when he would pop up on your blog.

I have 2 dogs now and have never lost a pet. However, it made my heart hurt to read this. Dogs are such amazing companions, and I couldn’t imagine the pain of losing mine.

Again, I am so sorry to hear it. I am sure him and Abby are now reunited playing in doggy heaven :)

103 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep August 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

What a wonderful tribute to Scooby. I am so very sorry for your loss. I was thinking of you and your family all weekend. Molly will be getting extra hugs tonight for you and Scooby.

104 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m tearing up as I read this – an absolutely beautiful post Meghann.

I lost my family dog when I was 10 and it was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my life – I’m so sorry for you and your family in this difficult time.

105 kalli August 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

oh this is such a beautiful post…..i am teared up and trying to keep myself together. our pepsi girl is at the end of her life right now and we are battling with the “when” question as well. thank you for sharing this with us and please give your fmaily our best.

106 April B August 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh Meaghan, I’m so so sorry about your loss. Scooby was a big part of your family and I know you’ll miss him. You guys gave him a great life and you have lots of wonderful memories with him. It’s not easy to lose a loved pet…so sorry for your pain!

107 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

So sorry to hear about Scooby! It’s crazy how much pets really become a part of our family. Over the last year or two, my parents had to put both of our cats down. It was really difficult because I was miles away just getting email update after email update. Now that neither are there, my parents house seems so empty when I go back home. But we have to remind ourselves that we don’t want them to hurt, just like we wouldn’t want any other member of our family to hurt.

108 Annette @FitnessPerks August 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Awww Meghan. So sorry for your & your family’s loss. He was definitely loved, I can tell. He is def in a good place now too, though. But it is okay to grieve the loss of someone you loved. Cheers for the awesome memories!

109 Colleen August 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

i’m sitting here at my desk… tears flowing. i am so so so sorry. losing a pet is one of the hardest things in life but i am certain that the time you did have with scooby was SO worth all of the pain you’re going through now. pets bring so much joy to our lives and it sounds like he sure did his job! you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

110 Reenie August 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Oh goodness…. I’m so sorry. Scooby had a wonderful life (not that that makes it any easier). He was loved by many….

Many hugs to your Mom & Dad, you and the rest of your family.

Love his baby photos ~ I <3 boxers =)

111 Tiia August 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi Meghann,
I’m so sorry for you! Our 15 year old family dog, who lives with my mother now, will be put to sleep next Monday so I’m going through the exact same feelings now. We will be spending the weekend with her but it will be so hard to say goodbye without having that “see you soon” feeling.
Hugs to everyone in your family!

112 Michelle M. August 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Prayers for you and you family and big hugs. <3

113 Nanci August 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

A beautiful post for your sweet Scooby. I can relate to every bit of this post, having made this same difficult decision for our Sammi dog back in 2009. The hardest decision ever, but we knew it was time. It is a wonderful act of love to know when it’s the right time so you’re pet won’t be in pain anymore. My heart goes out to you and your family.

114 RunEatRepeat August 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I so sorry :( I remember when I had to put my first dog down in high school, I totally cried at school the next day.

115 TG August 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I am so sorry. Every pet owner knows and fears this feeling. Take it easy and hug Maddie a lot!

116 Meredith August 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I too had a boxer with CDM, who we had to put to sleep when it got to that point. Missing him still today, but knowing he and Scooby are in a better place now. Boxers are such a fantastic, loving, faithful breed. Hugs to you and your parents.

117 allison @ thesundayflog August 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

ugh meg. i am just devastated for you. i read this at work and fought back tears at my desk. as amazing as it was adopting hank and everything he has done for us, it is heartbreaking knowing his time will eventually come. my dad said putting our old dog down was the absolute worst moment of his life. i am so so so sorry for your loss. so sorry :(

118 Ashley August 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Never a commenter, but as many others here felt compelled to after reading this. I have been following your blog for awhile and know that you are inspirational in many ways — but today I hope you know that thanks to Scooby and your family, there are MANY other dogs out there (my Gus included) who are getting extra love. On top of that, many of us animal lovers who are once again reminded to never take for granted our furry families and the beautiful, unconditional love they share with us.

Giving my Gus-boy and August (our wonderful cat) some extra love for you and your family.

119 emily August 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Meghann, this post was beautiful. I’m so sorry.

120 Shellie August 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Totally crying at this post. I got a chihuaha when I was 8 years old and he was my best friend. My Mom had to put him to sleep a few years ago and I was not there when he went, but it was so hard still. It was wonderful that your parents gave Scooby lots of good things before his time was up. Sending you lots of hugs!

121 Caroline Calcote August 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss Meghann. I have had to put beloved pets to sleep, and explain “euthanasia” to a five year old (who then proceeded to explain it to his entire kindergarten class…how it is a responsibility and an act of love…yeah, he’s precocious), and it is the hardest thing to do. Dogs are the best and our love for them is so strong. Scooby obviously had a great life filled with fun and love. This was a wonderful memorial.

122 Min August 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Meghann…this was so incredibly tough to read..What a beautiful tribute to dearest Scooby. He loves all of you so much and will remember and cherish all those wonderful..endless memories. I can’t say which is tougher – to lose your pet suddenly or knowing when that time will come..I lost two of my most amazing 4-legged companions at a blink of any eye, and it was one of the toughest, heart-wrenching moments of my life. however, I can’t imagine just sitting around and waiting…for that dreadful moment. You’re in my prayers..

123 Holly P. @ A Year in Wichita August 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to read this post- it just brought me to tears thinking about you, your family, and your sweet Scooby. You’ll all be on my mind.

124 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Beautifully touching post, Meghann. I’m so sorry for your loss. Family pets are so special and so much a part of who we are. Take comfort in knowing that Scooby had a wonderfully full life surrounded by people that cared very much for him.

125 Karen :0) August 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Oh Meghann…my heart is breaking for you right now. I’m at work on lunch break and I just cried like a baby while reading this. I know how much a pet can mean to a person…just like a part of the family. Oddly enough, I received a similar phone call this weeked from my parents about our 14 year old Siberian husky. It’s such a hard decision to make and we miss our pets dearly, but in the end…they aren’t suffering any longer. I have to keep reminding myself that we will see them again one day. ((hugs))

126 Mary August 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So sorry for your loss. I am sitting here right now sobbing and remembering my dogs Tippy and Chloe while my dog Kruze is cuddling up to me and looking at me with concerned big blue eyes. Dogs are the best! The joys definitely outweigh the sorrows.

127 Emily August 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss- I was tearing up reading that post. It’s so hard to lose a pet that’s been a huge part of your life for so long. Just rest easy that he’s in a happier place now and that he had a great, fun life surrounded by people who loved him!

128 Sara August 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’m so terribly sorry. I know there is nothing anyone can say or do and you don’t really know me at all but I just wanted you to know I feel your pain and I’m so sorry you lost a great friend.

129 Kristin August 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I am so so sorry Meghann :( I know how painful it is to lose a pet. Scooby looks like he had a really great life though thanks to the kindness of you and your family! Keeping you all in my thoughts.

130 Melissa August 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss Meghann and your family’s. What a beautiful post and Scooby was lucky to have your family for all those years.

131 Amy August 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

What a beautiful post. My heart breaks for you and your family during this time. Scooby is so lucky to have lived such a great life with a loving family. Thinking of you all and praying for peace.

132 Alexandra August 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss <3

133 Rachel Wilkerson August 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I was tearing up when you talked about this at dinner the other night and again reading this post…losing a pet is awful and I’m so sorry that you’re going through this. I don’t know what else to say except that you’re in my thoughts!

134 Freya August 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Oh Meghann, I am so sorry about Scooby :(
I lost my horse a few weeks ago – I’d had her 7.5years, and she was my rock, part of who I am, my best friend, my family, my everything. She went blind suddenly in one eye, and after seeing multiple vets, she went to specialists – who told us the eye would have to come out, but that the ‘good’ eye was about to do the same thing. So we went from having a healthy horse, to one being put to sleep 3 weeks later. I am utterly heartbroken, and I feel lost and alone and like I am missig a part of myself.
I am thinking of you, and trust me, it will getbetter. i think of Chika every single day, allt he time, and I’m still crying most days – but we have to remembetr that they’re happy and pain-free now.
Stay strong! xx

135 Holly August 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Whoa, I am like…really, really glad I read this post before coming to work this morning and not once I got here! I am 7 months pregnant so crying is kind of my thing but even I was not ready for the tears that started flowing when I read this post. My husband and I have a one year old boxer named Callie and we are obsessed with her. She is an amazing dog (just like you describe Scooby) and I know she is going to be an amazing big sister. This might sound a little morbid but I’ve been thinking a lot about the fact that our little girl will be about 10-12 years old when we lose Callie. It makes me sad to think that not only will we have to deal with the heartbreak, but our daughter will too. So I guess it was inevitable that I would turn into a sobbing mess while reading this! I’m so sorry for your family’s loss, Meghann.

136 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt August 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’m so sorry for family’s loss. Pets are amazing pieces of the family puzzle and it is so hard to see them go. Sounds like Scooby was loved very much.

137 Alicia August 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm

So so sorry Meghann. I hope that you are doing okay. He had a long beautiful life. Celebrate the good times.

I am sobbing, this memorial is perfect.

138 Jackie August 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Im crying now as I type this. I’m sorry for your loss, but it all just hit too close to home for me to handle. Our 9 year old yellow lab has been slowing down for a while now and he has a pretty bad limp. It makes me so sad to see him unable to keep up with our younger puppy, but I know he doesn’t want pity, just hugs and snuggles. I am dreading the day I get that phone call from my parents saying its his time. In addition, one of my cats, I just found out, has an extremely loud heart murmur which is pretty unusual for cats. He’s seeing a vet cardiologist next week and I’m dreading the News I’ll be getting then as well.

Anyway, I am so sorry and I know a bit of what you’re going through.

139 Lizzie August 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh Meghann. I am so, so sorry. Losing a four legged family member is so hard. I know Scooby will be so happy to see you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, and in the meantime, he will remember how much you loved him. xoxoxo

140 Nicole August 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I’m sure it was hard to write all this and publish it, but it’s a very real post and I appreciate that. RIP Scooby <3

141 Laure August 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I am literally crying after reading your post . Very touching. I own a 6 year old boxer and tommorrow morning at 8 am I take him in for his fourth surgery to have a tumor removed. He is my best friend in the whole world, and I understand your attachment to this dog. Boxers are so loving, loyal and enthusiastic. Im so sorry for your loss

142 erica August 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

i’m so sorry for your (and your family’s) loss!
losing a pet is never easy. i’m sitting at my desk at work balling my eyes out.

but don’t worry, scooby is with abbie now at rainbow bridge playing and having a great time.

143 Erin August 21, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Oh Meghann, I’m definitely crying for you right now, you’re not alone and losing a pet is incredibly difficult, like you said “he’s my brother”, sending positive thoughts and good energy your way, even though he’s no longer here you’ll always have him with you :)

144 Kelly August 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm

In tears, I went and gave my own pup a great big hug after reading this. They are so special to us, true friends, family members, and such loyal companions. My heart aches at the thought of losing mine, and so I can only imagine what you and your family are going through right now. My parents had to put down a lab – in the same sort of way – still healthy in mind and spirit – but she had cancer, and it’s one of the most heartbreaking things to do, knowing they still want to live. Thinking of you!

145 Courtney August 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

This post made me cry, and I’ve never cried reading a post before. Hang in there :)

146 Maggie August 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I couldnt get through your post today in one sitting, I kept tearing up. I finally finished it. It made me cry into my dog’s fur afterwards. Sounds like he was a wonderful dog and led a wonderful life. Have you heard of the book Dog Heaven? I use it at work to explain loss to the kids I see for therapy. It’s a wonderful book for your family right now. Wishing you all peaceful healing!

147 Deanna August 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oh, Meghann… I am so, SO sorry. I literally gasped when I started reading this because I, too, had a dog named Scooby (he was a Pomeranian). On June 30th, we had to have him put down due to kidney failure. He was my Christmas present when I was just 8-years-old. That was in 1996 and for almost 16 years, he was my constant companion… he was my “brother.” I know exactly how you’re feeling and my heart truly breaks for you.

148 Marie August 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

My thoughts go out to you and your family. This was such a beautiful & moving tribute.

149 Stephanie August 21, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m so sorry. :( Like everyone else, I cried when I read this. We get so attached to our pets. I am terrified of when mine pass away. Big HUGS to you and your family.

150 Lisa Meyer August 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Meghann, I just got done reading your post and I am sitting here at my desk at work bawling my eyes out. I can so relate to everything that you said as I had to put one of my precious dogs down due to illness as well. You and your family are in my thoughts. Even though you hate to have them done, I do hope that you know that Scooby is in a better place, especially if he was suffering. Sending you a big hug!

151 Courtney August 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Meg,

This story was so touching, and here I am, sitting here, BAWLING. Scooby was so lucky to have you guys as a family – the love is just permeating out of your post. He was lucky to have you guys and you were lucky to have him!

I’m looking down at my dog, knowing, that one day his time will come too, and the love of an animal is so wonderful, yet so bittersweet.

Dogs are mans best friends, they hold such incredibly special places in our hearts. My heart goes out to you, your family, and the amazing Scooby.

Thanks for sharing your story!

152 Brittany August 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I have so much pain and passion I wish I could type up right now to you after reading this. I have an 11 year-old pup that is SO important to me and as I sit here at work trying to fight back tears, I am wishing you and your family peace…RIP Scooby<3

153 CindyD. August 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Meghann, I am so, SO sorry for the loss of Scooby. He obviously had a wonderful life with your family and you were all lucky to have had him in yours as well. I hope that your hearts can be at peace soon.

154 Jane August 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

We got KC from the pound the summer I was going into 1st grade-I was 7. She died this past year right before thanksgiving when I was 26. We had KC Girl as we called her for 19 years!!! I had to skip my law school classes the day after she died and my mom skipped work. This opens up those wounds. It is. So. Hard. Unlike anything I had luckily ever experienced. I cant remember a time before her and miss her so much. Yes, she’s a dog. But she was also my childhood. Hugs to you and your family. It gets better, but I am now sobbing reading this.

155 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets August 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I can’t even get to the end of your blog right now- I just gathered my furry kids to hold them a little tighter and cry- what a sweet tribute and what amazing pictures you have of him. I am happy to see so many people believe in the rainbow bridge and just know that Scooby is in great company and having a blast playing with his new friends. I will always cling to the rainbow bridge and believe that there is never a permanent goodbye- only a “see you later!” My thoughts are with you and your family…..

156 April August 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

What a beautiful tribute, he was definitely loved. I’m so sorry for your loss.

157 Kate August 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

That was absolutely beautiful. <3 <3 <3

158 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I am so very sorry to hear about Scooby. It hurts my heart for you. I know how awful it feels. Lots of love and happy thoughts to you!! <3

159 Aria August 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Meghann,
I am so so sorry for you & your family’s loss. I’ve been a reader for many years now and I understand that you lost a family member yesterday. Until you lose a pet, you can’t really understand the pain of it. Try to remember the happy memories and please know that we are all here for you <3 I have a feeling that scooby is smiling down on you in doggie heaven <3

160 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I am so sorry for your loss! Pets are family members and it is never easy. Cherish those sweet memories and thank you for sharing them with all of us!

161 Missy August 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Wow. This is the best post I’ve ever read on this blog. You made me cry :( I was at work, wearing mascara (which I never do) and had to go to the bathroom to wipe it all off after reading this.

And I thought about this all day. :( I’m so sorry

162 Mom Anderson August 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Meghann, what a lovely tribute to our scooby. This post lifted my spirits. It brought so many memories to my mind. Some of them bring a laugh, and some of them a tear. I am sitting here, reflecting on his life and what he brought to our family. 10 wonderful years of laughing, playing, protecting and loving us unconditionally. I couldn’t have asked for a better dog. Tears are running down my face, as I selfishly wish he was sitting by my feet, looking up at me and asking for dinner. I have to imagine he is in a better place, free of pain and having great time. Scooby was loved so very much and will live in our hearts forever.
I also want to thank all of you who wrote the lovely comments today. Your sympathy has been comforting to our family.

163 sofia August 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I feel your pain. Its horrible when one my face a loved one and see them drift away. I recently found out that i would have to give up our second dog Wendy Lou. Every time i see her, i have to excuse myself to cry. I was actually very furious with the whole world when i found out. My heart goes out to you and your family. I believe all pets are part of the family and almost like our children. Scooby was luck to have had you in his life and you will always have wonderful memories to cherish!

164 Erin August 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Wow, I’m bawling sitting here reading this and both my beloved pooches are staring at me like I’m crazy which is making me cry harder because inevitably this post makes me think about when their time will come.

I love reading about your family’s dogs, you and your family share such a great love of these wonderful companions so I can only imagine how loved Scooby was. He must have been a very very happy (and lucky!) pup to know such a great life.

Keeping you in my thoughts today. Thanks for sharing this touching tribute.

165 K August 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I’m not much of a pet person, but this brought tears to my eyes! RIP Scoobz and peace to your family.

166 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I know what it is like to lose a pet/family member. I still get teary eyed thinking about my buddy Rudy even though it’s been almost 6 years. Gone but never forgotten. May you think of the fun times and remember his goofy smile often.

167 Brigid August 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Sending good wishes your way. Losing a pet is never easy, especially when they are such an important part of the family.

168 Melanie August 21, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss! We lost our family dog last year and I still miss her like crazy! Scooby was so very lucky to have been part of your family!!!

169 Arie August 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Im so sorry to hear of your loss. Pets become family and its the hardest when they are gone. My thoughts are with you and your family.

170 Cailin August 21, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I don’t typically comment, but I am currently in full on tears:(. What a beautiful post about an amazing life of your dog, Snoopy. Sending hugs your way!

171 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am so sorry Meg – Losing a pet is such a hard thing to do, especially because they love unconditionally. I’ve gone through that pain a few times already, and my parents’ dog is 13 and pretty large, and he doesn’t have much time left.It’s so sad to think about, and I hope you can grieve peacefully.

172 Kath August 21, 2012 at 8:47 pm

So sorry Meghann. Three cheers for a wonderful pet.

173 Meghan August 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I know what you are going through and it is beyond hard but will get better. I am beyond a dog lover and even hearing of others’ dogs passing still makes me so sad. I hope you and your family can stay strong!

174 Kelly August 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family. Our dogs are our family members as well. We had to put our boy Bandit to sleep in June…he was 7 :(
Going for run/cries helped with the grieving and healing process a bit. Hugs

175 Caroline August 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’m sorry for the loss of your dog! Pets become such a big part of the family and it’s hard to lose them:/

176 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas August 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’m so sorry, Meghann. We just lost our family dog (we also go him my senior year in HS) and he was 11. It was terrible. The only thing that made me feel better was a kid’s book called Dog Heaven (http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590417010/) and I read it every day for a while. It’s cheesy but it really helped! I hope your parents/family are doing ok!

177 Sarah August 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

My sincere condolences. My family has always had furry family members and it is always so hard when that call has to be made. Even though it was probably for the best, it is never easy. I wish they would live as long as we did so we could keep them around forever. RIP Scooby, say hi to Bill, Dixie and Cricket for me.

178 Gia August 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. A dog is so much more than just a dog. It is a special love. Will be thinking of you and your family at this time.

179 BroccoliHut August 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Oh, Meghann you have me in tears. I am so sorry. Dogs really are furry family members, so losing them can be so painful.
My family lost our 17-year-old Jack Russell last December on Seth’s and my anniversary. Let’s just say I burst into tears in the middle of dessert!
All of this is just to say that my thoughts are with you, and I understand completely how you’re feeling.

180 Carissa August 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

meghann, I’m so so sorry that Scooby left so soon. Losing a pet is an agonizing thing to process and my heart aches for you and your family. Words can’t make it better, but just know that you all gave him a wonderful life.

181 Pam August 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

So sad for you and your family right now. He had a good and full life and was very well loved – a dog can’t ask for more than that. I hope your pain heals with each passing day.

182 Camile August 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm

This post made me cry. I had memories of my own dog who I had to watch deteriorate, and for whom I had to make that same painful decision to put down. It still makes me cry sometimes, nearly 4 years later. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

183 Amanda August 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Megahnn, I’m so sorry for your and your family’s loss

184 Chelsea August 22, 2012 at 12:02 am

Way to make me cry/bawl like a baby :( I’m so sorry for your loss. The death of a pet is so incredibly hard…My dog got hit by a car over a year ago and I still cry about her thinking/wishing that there had been something I could’ve done to save her life. Gah I’m going to start crying even more now.

185 Amanda August 22, 2012 at 12:06 am

So, so sorry for your loss. I know that pain… Only time can heal it. You and your family are in my thoughts.

186 Laura August 22, 2012 at 12:28 am

So sorry to hear about Scooby :( My thoughts and prayers are with your family during this difficult time.. From a fellow dog lover..

187 Hope August 22, 2012 at 2:51 am

As someone currently 7 months pregnant and full of hormones, I should not have read this, but it was beautifully written. So sad, but a lovely tribute. My heart goes out to you and especially to your parents xxx

188 Coco August 22, 2012 at 6:49 am

I am so sorry for your loss.. Scooby was obviously so loved, and had an amazing spirit.. Sending hugs :)

189 Julie @ runninginaskirt.com August 22, 2012 at 7:34 am

Your post had me in tears. My dogs are family members as well and I dread the day something happens to them. Your Scooby resembles my beautiful boxer Reina– so this post really hit home for me. I pray for you and your family to have strength in this tough time.

190 Erin August 22, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’m late to reply but this had me crying all over my desk this morning. We had to put our 15 year old dog to sleep in June, and he was truly like my little brother. It’s so hard but I certainly hope my little guy is playing in doggie heaven with Scoobie and all the other amazing pups who have passed on.

191 Bridget August 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

August 20th was a hard day! I’m so sorry about Scooby!

One of my best friends passed away last week on study abroad, and her funeral was on the 20th.

I will keep both of them in my prayers.

192 Tricia August 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

My husband and I have a one-year-old dog and we dread this day like no other. I feel for you guys :(

193 Megan August 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I am BAWLING reading your post — my parents put down our last dog on Saturday, while I was also out of town, so it sounds I pretty much shared your weekend experience. I am looking forward to writing a similar post and I loved yours. I’m also taking that Rainbow Bridge graphic, I just adore it.

Hugs, and love, to you, your parents, and your current fur-baby!

194 Meghann August 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m sorry for your loss. :( I couldn’t find a Rainbow Bridge graphic that I liked, so I created my own using a photo I had of Scooby and Abbie. I’m glad you adore it as much as I do. Please feel free to share it.

195 Lauren @ Golden Ring Runner August 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I am SO SO SO sorry for your loss. Animals are amazing creatures and we love them with our entire hearts, inside and out. I have a 1 year old kitten and she brings me the most unbelievable joy every day. Dogs have such a big presence in our lives, and again, I am so sorry for your loss!

196 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger August 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Meghann I’m so sorry for your loss! I remember when we lost Hershey (our family pup) and I found out while away at college. My parents put her down on a Friday morning and I was scheduled to come home for a surprise visit that night. I cried the whole 4 hour bus ride home.

My thoughts are with you and your family and I hope that time helps heal the hurt.

197 Sarah August 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Crying while I read this…so sorry for your loss. My labradoodle, Gilligan, is my first child and a brother to my son. I know how much pets mean to a family.

198 Susan August 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm

So so so so sorry that the day finally came to say goodbye. Dogs are wonderful in almost every way, except that they don’t live long enough. Lots of love to you xo

199 Brittney August 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I just moved back to college after some time at home. I got a puppy last October after our pet passed away, and I’ve had a hard time having to leave her. I don’t know if that’s why but I was straight up bawling as I read this post… and I had to wait until my roommate left to go out to let it all out. I am so sorry Meghann. I feel like I lost Scooby too!

200 Katie August 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Oh wow, I cried so hard reading this. I just got my first puppy ever 5 months ago, and I can’t even fathom the thought of losing him one day. Much love to you and your family!

201 Ashley August 23, 2012 at 12:55 am

This made me cry! We put down my dog in March. It was so hard. Dogs are family members! But as I have read from your post you and your family gave him a better like than most people! Feel better! : ) Its very hard!

202 Lydia August 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

I have waited to read this post because I knew I would cry….and yet it still took me over 15 minutes to get through it because I had to keep stopping and “walking away” to stop crying. Such a sweet tribute. I had to make this decision with my sweet puppy two years ago and it was the worst and best thing I had to do. It was her time and I made the right decision for her but it was so hard. Always in our hearts though. Sorry for ya’lls loss.

203 Brittney August 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’m kind of behind on reading/responding, but I wish I could give you a hug. Just cried a bunch reading this and there’s something about losing a pet that just really gets me. They are just pure love. I’m glad you guys all enjoyed the heck out of life with Scooby. It sounds like he was a very lucky dog :)

204 Chatelaine August 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’m so incredibly sorry to read of Scooby’s passing. My heart is breaking along with yours. The love your family has for Scooby is incredible and know that he felt all the love all the time by you guys :) I’m sure he was your #1 fan over HLS :)

205 Kaitlyn August 24, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hi Meghann,

I read this post on Tuesday when you published it, but today it was a wonderful comfort for me to go back too. I lost a beloved cat, who I’ve had since I was 8 years old (almost 17 years!!!) and while I’m absolutely heartbroken and devastated, I know that she lived a good long life. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It’s tough, but we’ll get through it in the end :)

206 Lauren August 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm

What a beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss and pray that your family will be overcome with peace. Scooby will always be with you!

207 Sarah August 31, 2012 at 1:02 am

Oh man..Cried so hard while reading this. It’s so incredibly hard to lose a pet and you did a wonderful job of writing a tribute to Scooby. I kept thinking about the pets that I currently have and how hard it will be to say goodbye to them someday. : (

208 Alice September 30, 2012 at 8:15 am

What a beautiful story. I am 65. Recently I havr been reliving the day I came home from school looking for Schultxy only to discovrr my parents gave gave her away. For over two months I eake up remembering her.eas she loved and cared for likr she deserved? I slept with her blanket for months. I loved her so much. Now I understand ehy my love for animals. She gave me so much.she was maybe 5. I eas maybe 12 or 13. DID SHE MISS ME. Did she die peacefully?