#HLS12: Saturday Sessions

by Meghann on August 20, 2012

Why, hello, new and old friends. :)

Welcome. Welcome. Welcome

In case you’re new to the blog, my name is Meghann and I’ve been writing Meals and Miles since September 2008. I write a little about this and a little about that, but mainly about my life through running and food. I’m also one of the co-founders of Healthy Living Summit and this year I was a speaker on the “I am a Blogger in Your Neighborhood” panel with Holly and Clare.

If you’re old to the blog, welcome back! Sorry I disappeared this weekend, but time sort of got away from me. It was definitely a crazy couple of days full of blogger love, learning new things, and summit success. I can’t believe Healthy Living Summit 2012 is over, but I’m already pumped about planning 2013!! Whoop! Whoop!

Alright. Let’s rewind to yesterday for a minute because, well, it’s what HLS is all about – the sessions!

I ended up skipping the long run Saturday morning in favor of more sleep (I decided to make a sleep a high priority this weekend – best decision ever!). Mary and I woke up just after 6:30a and kicked the day off with sponsor booth set-up, registration, and last minute breakfast menu requests. There was a lot of running around in a very exciting holy-crap-this-is-really-happening-and-everything-is-coming-together sort of way. :)

Around 8 all of the attendees started to roll in and the real fun began.

Registration, swag, shoes, sponsors – Oh My!

Wild Harvest was our kick-ass gold sponsor this year and I can’t say enough good things about the brand, the company, or all of the amazing people that I worked with. Seriously could not have asked for a better lead sponsor to partner with. They also came in with great ideas on how they could really be involved with this year’s summit, including how to get attendees talking about their sponsored breakfast.

During registration for the Healthy Living Summit, each attendee had the opportunity to opt-in to participate in the “Wild Harvest Breakfast Showdown.” Each blogger that accepted was shipped a box of Wild Harvest goodies with the challenge of creating a breakfast recipe using 3 Wild Harvest ingredients from the goodie box. After all the recipes were submitted, the Wild Harvest team spent a week taste testing each submitted recipe (tweeting fabulous sneak peeks along the way!). Five finalists were chosen, and the winning recipe (Cupcake Kelly’s Greek Inspired Scramble!) was served at breakfast.

IMG_9474.jpg IMG_9475.jpg

The winning dish!

IMG_9429.JPG IMG_9431.JPG

The remaining breakfast dishes featured recipes developed in the Wild Harvest kitchen and created with local Wild Harvest products. Each dish was paired with a recipe card, so attendees could recreate any of the dishes at home.

IMG_9434.JPG IMG_9432.JPGIMG_9435.JPG IMG_9436.JPG IMG_9437.JPG IMG_9440.JPG IMG_9439.JPGIMG_9442.JPG IMG_9443.JPG

Everything looked fabulous, but between running around with set-up, registration, opening remarks, etc. etc. it got to be after 10, breakfast had been cleared, and I realized I had not had a chance to eat anything. Luckily the staff at the Hyatt were AMAZING and brought me out some food from the back.

p.s. Cupcake Kelly’s dish ROCKED – I can’t wait to recreate it at home using my nifty recipe card. ;)

Bloggers starting to pile in, ready for the summit to begin!

On top of having her recipe served at breakfast, Cupcake Kelly (great blog name, by the way) was presented with a $500 gift card good at any Supervalu (Wild Harvest’s parent company) store. Basically, she has her groceries covered for a month – sweet! Congrats, again, Kelly!

Heather, Julie, and I kicked the summit off with opening remarks and icebreakers. Unfortunately, I’ll have to apologize for my severe lack of photos during the day. I plan to do a complete recap post with final thoughts and hope to wrangle up a few more for that. I have a lot to say, like how much I enjoyed this year’s icebreakers and how awesome Heather and Julie were for coming up with the concept.

After icebreakers wrapped-up (holla to the blue star group I led!), we joined our fabulous sponsor Reebok in the pavilion for CrossFit.

Ashley and I modeling our new Reebok/ Crossfit headbands because we rock.

The room was full of newbies, but Reebok had it covered – they brought 10+ CrossFit coaches in to lead the workout and lead everyone on what to do. It was very much an intro to WOD class where they reviewed a few of the basic CrossFit moves, then completed a 7 minute WOD. There were a lot of squats. a lot. a lot. a lot.

Unfortunately this was also the time I realized I hadn’t had breakfast yet and used the workout time as my excuse to sneak my meal in. There was a lot of buzz surrounding the workout, and even though it was short, I still overheard talk of sore booties and legs from all the squats. A lot of CrossFit virgins left motivated to test out a CrossFit box in their hometown, which motivated me to try one too.

IMG_9489.jpg

I’m not guaranteeing next week – but I will have my first WOD soon!

There was a 30 minute break for showering, changing, snacking, and booth browsing, then the meat of the conference began with break-out sessions.

We had the lovely Gretchen discussing basic beginning photog in one room…

…and Amanda explaining how she hosts successful virtual challenges next door.

Next up, our Blogging with Brands Panel (the room was PACKED – bloggers were very interested in this one)

And blog design with Julie (mental note – check out WooThemes.com for fresh premium themes)

Lunch started at 12:20 and I was super proud of the spread our team came up with. We wanted to make sure food was a yummy highlight of the conference and paid special attention to make sure that, not only everyone’s dietary needs were met, but that we also had a delicious, healthy spread everyone would enjoy. The Hyatt catering staff was great to work with and let us completely customize their standard menus.

Take a look -

IMG_9498.JPG IMG_9499.JPG IMG_9500.JPG IMG_9501.JPG IMG_9502.JPG

Everything was fresh and delicious. I even overheard a couple of attendees requesting the recipe for the tomato and avocado salad. I should have grabbed it too – it was top notch.

Friends!

Our key note speakers (the amazing Kim and Genie, dietitians for Wild Harvest) led the summit after lunch. I really enjoyed their discussion on how they develop recipes for the Wild Harvest kitchen and how similar recipe developing techniques could translate to blogs. The girls were super personable and easy to listen to, but my nerves were starting to kick in as I prepped for my panel once they wrapped up. Gulp.

Despite my nerves (and non-existent public speaking skills), I thought our panel actually went great. Holly did an amazing job giving tips and tricks on how to reach out to local organizations in your community regarding freelance gigs, Clare shared how to connect with local business across social networks, and I covered how to build a local network and engage with your local blogging community.

IMG_9513.jpg

I was very nervous presenting my portion of the presentation (I know I left out a ton of what I wanted to stay and probably spoke too fast), but once we got to Q&A, I began to relax and was able to give some decent answers (I hope!). A lot of information was shared and I’m hoping to write a blog post in the near future on the topic because there really seemed to be a lot of interest in how to become involved with your local community.

As I shared on Saturday “Eat local. Shop local. Blog local.”

Snack time!

Cabot Creamery and Driscoll’s Berries were our afternoon snack sponsors. We re-fueled with cheese, berries, and a mix of carbs and nuts.

IMG_9516.JPGIMG_9519.JPG

The perfect snack.

The final sessions of the day started after the snack break with a social media breakdown

and the fuzzy grey area of blogging wrapping up the summit.

Dori and Rachel did a great job keeping it real on their panel. Thank you, ladies!!

We ended the day with closing remark, raffles, and a whole round of thank you’s and big hugs all around. When all was said and done, this was all I wanted to do.

Relaxed.jpg

Correction. This was what I wanted to do.

IMG_9559.jpg

But I’ll get to that later. ;)

I can’t say THANK YOU enough to everyone who made Saturday possible. We had a whole slew of amazing sponsors and volunteers that I can’t stop bowing down to – NONE of this would have been possible without any of them. They helped our vision become an amazing reality. BIG hugs all around!

I’ll be back with more from the weekend, but I thought the post was getting a little long. Stay tuned!!

1 Miranda @ Biting Life August 20, 2012 at 1:10 am

Wow, it looks like everybody had SO MUCH FUN. Those panel topics are great! They all sound really interesting to me. I definitely would’ve had a hard time choosing if I had gone. Hopefully next year! Can’t wait to hear about your soon-to-be Crossfit experience.
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Staying Healthy and On Budget

2 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 20, 2012 at 6:10 am

Thanks for taking time to write up your thoughts about HLS! All of the blog posts I’ve seen from different bloggers about HLS make me really want to try to go next year. It looks like you put on an awesome conference. (I’m totally craving a tasty lentil dish after that photo of one from your lunch.) I hope you’ve been able to relax after your crazy busy weekend!
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..Sunday Long Run: 20 Miler #2

3 Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly's August 20, 2012 at 7:06 am

Thank you for the wonderful recap! I am so glad everyone loved my recipe and I CAN’T WAIT to see how you recreate it. Your session was one of the most informative of all the ones I attended and I couldn’t tell you were nervous at all. Great job to you & the team you did a WONDERFUL job. I was so happy to talk to you briefly :)
Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly’s recently posted..HLS12: Wild Harvest Breakfast Showdown

4 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife August 20, 2012 at 7:37 am

You did a great job at planning everything! I loved HLS! Thank you so much for everything! (:

5 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

What a GREAT recap, thank you for taking the time to do this, and of course lead in organizing the whole dang thing! I didn’t get the chance to talk to you this weekend, but next year I shall for sure :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..HLS- A Different Look

6 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

I remember having such a great time at HLS in Chicago and I *really* need to make going back a priority next summer. Im so bummed I missed out on Boston. Ive always wanted to visit!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Friends “4 Eva”

7 Rachel Wilkersom August 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

I had SUCH a smile on my face reading all of this…what a great weekend it was! You guys put on an awesome conference and I had so much fun. Looking forward to your recap of dinner!
Rachel Wilkersom recently posted..{the lessons} On Not Improving

8 Heather August 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thabka for letting me be a part of HLS! I had a great time helping out and speaking! You did an awesome job putting it all together!
Heather recently posted..Weekly Recap: August Week 3

9 Kathy August 20, 2012 at 7:53 am

How did I miss that you were one of the cofounders of the HLS? Way to go girl!! I see why you were so busy and running around like that poor chicken. ha!

It looks like a lot of fun…is it just for local bloggers or open to all? Just curious for next year…vacay??

10 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 8:16 am

We have a different location every year and it’s open to everyone! We would love to have you for 2013! :)

11 Emily N August 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

Looks like it went great on Saturday! Cannot wait to hear about your TBD WOD!
Emily N recently posted..Halfway Through

12 Bess August 20, 2012 at 8:44 am

Great job, Meghann! I know how hard it is to plan a conference and it looks like you did bang-up job! Let the rest begin… haha

13 Angela August 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Everything looks amazing Meg you should be so proud of all the hard work you did! I really hope I can join in one of these years!!

Also GO CHECK OUT CROSSFIT! You’ll love it!!
Angela recently posted..Day 19

14 Dori August 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

HLS went so well! I was really impressed with the organization and the content of the day. Thank you so much for planning such a great conference. I do not know why I am standing so awkwardly in that photo.
Dori recently posted..I’m Speaking at the Healthy Living Summit: #HLS50Shades

15 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

Your session was awesome Meghann! I took away a lot of great information – there’s now talk of a Boston-area Healthy Living Blogs group starting! Thanks again for being an awesome organizer! The events all weekend went smoothly and were super fun!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Healthy Living Summit Day 1

16 Caitlin August 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

I adored the Blogger in Your Neighborhood session because I have already taken on a big concentration on local restaurants, events, etc on my blog. So the advice you gave was both helpful and reassuring that I’m on the right path. The pic of the panelists is super cute. Thanks for doing such a great job putting this on! And being a good seatmate on Saturday :) that drink was yum!
Caitlin recently posted..Barcelona Patio Party!

17 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

That sounds like such a fun day!! Also, those little Cabot cheese packets are the best :)
Courtney recently posted..BIG News!

18 Sarah (The Social Eater) August 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

Looks like you and the rest of your team did a great job…and the food looks fantastic!
Sarah (The Social Eater) recently posted..What Have We Done Today

19 Coby August 20, 2012 at 11:14 am

This looks like so much fun! I hope I get to go someday.

20 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’ve absolutely loved reading everyone’s HLS recaps. Makes me so sad that I wasn’t able to go. :( Hopefully some day…
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Motivation Monday: Team Maddy

21 Sarah M. August 20, 2012 at 11:51 am

Thank you so much for planning such a wonderful conference. It was my first year and I will definitely be back for years to come! I left completely inspired to grow and expand on my own brand in the hopes of working with others.
Sarah M. recently posted..RAD Reads and Weekly Review: August 19, 2012

22 jennifer August 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Wow, Meghann, how awesome is this HLS! That is so amazing that you co-founded such a huge and inspiring program!
I am still working on building up my blog and gaining a voice in the health/fitness blogging community, and this is very inspiring to want me to keep going and pushing myself into writing and staying healthy/fit so I can end up at one of these one year!
Love it :)
jennifer recently posted..Making progress!

23 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Looks like a blast and that there was so much great info shared. I can’t wait for next year and I’m making it a priority to attend. Any ideas on where it will be? Texas is a great state! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Don’t knock it till you try it!

24 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Not a clue – but we are open to suggestions!

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You all came up with the lunch menu!? THANK YOU!!! That was my favorite meal of the whole conference! I had gotten everything on my plate and went to sat down, then someone told me the naan was gluten free. I literally lept from my seat and ran back to the buffet to grab some… it was amazing.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HLS–Post 2

26 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Looks like SUCH a great time! I think Wild Harvest’s way of handling breakfast was genius. I’m glad everything seemed to go so well — congrats! Hope to see HLS 2013 in Chicago next year so I can attend! ;)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..No Time For Excuses

27 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm

We’ll see. ;)

28 Em August 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This is absolutely amazing! How do I get to go to HLS 2013?
Em recently posted..Training With A Goal

29 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ll have to announce when tickets go on sale, but it won’t be for a few months, I think the planning crew needs to take a breather. ;)

30 Kath August 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Looks like it was a huge success Meghann!! Congrats!
Kath recently posted..A Taste Of Wild Alaska

31 Tara August 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Meghann- looks like the HLS went great. Hoping that I can make it next year. Where did you get the grey shirt you were wearing in the last few picks? Looks so comfy!

32 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thanks, it’s Old Navy. :)