#HLS12: Fun Run and Exploring Boston

by Meghann on August 20, 2012

In case you missed it:

The last day of Healthy Living Summit 2012 kicked off with a 5k fun run/walk with a hundred or so of my closest blogging running/walking friends.

418680_10102197620567613_1727842441_n.jpeg

I’m sad this was our only group shot of the weekend and it only includes about half of the attendees. Next year I’m considering hiring a professional photographer for the weekend to take photos – any takers? ;)

The run/walk was super casual. We naturally split into varying pace groups and I led the running group down the river into Boston and then turned around and headed back to our hotel in Cambridge. Boston is so runner/walker friendly that it wasn’t hard to find a good path.

20120819_081805.jpg

The weather was amazing. Nice and cool with little to no humidity, why can’t we get summer weather like this in Florida?

20120819_083001.jpg

Also, our group was amazing. It was fun chatting with a few of the girls I had not had a chance to chat yet and to catch up with some old friends.

20120819_081818.jpg

Plus, when there was a little confusion on where to go, the group just sort of went with the flow and acted like it was no biggie. I loved the laid back atmosphere of the run, everyone treated it like social hour and just ran it for fun, which is the way we planned it. :)

20120819_083004.jpg

When we returned, the group immediately headed to where breakfast was being served in the pavilion.

20120819_092304.jpg

Again, the food was AMAZING. The perfect meal to end the conference with.

20120819_084509.jpg 20120819_084513.jpg 20120819_084759.jpg 20120819_085802.jpg

It was at this point that I started to relax and just enjoy my last few hours surrounded by bloggers and friends. I stayed talking until the hotel staff kicked us out at 11:00 and was so thankful I had the chance to talk with a few of the bloggers I hadn’t had a chance to talk with the rest of the weekend. There was seriously a great group of girls (and guys!) this year and they all have me pumped for 2013! ;)

I want to do a full “behind the scenes” look at HLS12 this year and really give credit where it’s due to all of the volunteers and planning partners who made this all possible. I’m working on a reflection post that I should have up in the next week. :)

Once we were kicked out of the pavilion, Mary and I headed to our room to cram as much as we could in our suitcases, so we could spend the rest of the day exploring Boston with Amanda before our late flight. We’d all been in town since Thursday, but none of us had had a chance to explore yet!

Our first stop was Flour, a place I’d been dying to try ever since I saw it featured on the Food Network years ago.

The place was adorbs, but filled to the capacity with people! I’ll take the inability to move inside as a good sign that the food would be worth the wait, but man, it was crowded!

I probably could have ordered anything from their menu and have been happy with my meal. :)

I ordered the quinoa salad, which was amazing. It was coated with a ginger dressing, which is something I never would have thought of for a quinoa dish, but am now inspired to try for myself at home.

I also had the raspberry seltzer, which I was hoping would be more seltzer than raspberry. They went a little heavy the raspberry syrup for my taste.

IMG_9588.jpg

We took the T and did a little exploring of Boston after lunch. We hit Boston common, then headed to the Southend for an open air market some twitter followers had recommended we check out.

The market was so much fun and full of fun treats and unique finds.

IMG_9594.JPG IMG_9595.JPG

IMG_9598.JPG IMG_9599.JPG

cape.jpeg

20120819_143531.jpg

I left with a baby shower gift for this coming weekend and some wedding themed goodies – it was a good market indeed.

Then we hopped back on the T

And made our way to Fenway Park.

I’m not a baseball fan by any means (shhhh…. don’t tell my baseball-obsessed fiance that!), but I can appreciate the history that is Fenway Park. What a cool site! I’m only sad we couldn’t get a tour due to a private event.

IMG_9607.JPG IMG_9608.JPG

296933_10102197986663953_1847686291_n.jpeg

We hitched a cab to Harvard Square and decided a snack and caffeine boost was needed. Diana (who lived in Boston once-upon-a-time) suggested we hit up Crema Cafe and I’m so glad she did – how adorable is this place?

Also, it’s a shame my sweet tooth had been sweet-ed out this weekend because the cupcakes looked delicious.

I ordered an iced coffee (was sad that the coffee wasn’t very impressive) and a thing of hummus and crostini to share with the group. The coffee might have sucked, but the hummus and crostini were top notch.

We also ordered sandwiches to go and saved them for the airport.

I had the pressed turkey and seasonal chutney, and even though it had been sitting in my carry-on for a couple of hours, it was still crispy and delicious. Such a great idea to grab the sandwiches to-go.

And to the surprise of no one…

386820_10102198509511163_1361461767_n.jpeg

Whoops!

Luckily the attendant was super nice and let me go through. She told me 2 lbs was no biggie and I gave her my card so she could see what HLS was all about. Network. Network. Network. ;)

We landed in Tampa just after midnight and I promptly passed out. Sleeping never felt so good.

1 Abbey August 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I LOVE the running tank top you’re wearing, where did you get it?

2 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Target!!!

3 Annette @FitnessPerks August 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

What a fun last day! I love that it ended with a run/walk & a yummy b-fast :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..How To Get What You Want

4 Cindy August 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Fenway Park- my favourite place on earth! I’m glad you enjoyed Boston and I hope I get to make it to HLS one year!
Cindy recently posted..Five must have fitness items

5 Meghan August 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I wish I could make iced coffee taste as good as some that I’ve had. Even if I go back to the same DD or Starbucks my coffee never taste the same. Totally sucks because iced coffee is expensive, and goes down so quickly!! Looks like an amazing time you all had. Hope I will be a part of it next year!!
Meghan recently posted..Mindless Miles & Gossip

6 Julie August 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Glad you guys had fun! Maybe one of these days you’ll see me at HLS :-)
Julie recently posted..Superheros and the 1980s

7 Becky @ runfundone August 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Lol, airline standard is that they say that 50 lbs is the limit, but they let you go to 55! Always.
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Gettin’ Better

8 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Looks like a blast. Im really bummed I missed out this year!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..That Awkward Moment On The Trail When….

9 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife August 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Making me nostalgic for Boston (just moved away after 5 years). That Mexican chocolate that you pictured is produced at a plant in Boston. You can take a tour there. The chocolate is actually not great to eat on its own (it’s very gritty), but we used it to make some ice cream, and it turned out wonderfully!!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..An Announcement!

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love that you gave your card to the airline woman! Haha maybe they’ll discount flights next year!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HLS–Post 2

11 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Flour bakery looks amazing – I wish I’d had a chance to check it out! And same with that market. I seriously could have spent 2 weeks in Boston and still not have seen everything I wanted to!
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Boston: Days 4 & 5

12 Kathy August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

HLS 2013….YEA!

13 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

HLS looks like it was so much fun! I love that there was a big group run that accomodated everyone–gives me hope that some day if/when I make it to HLS that I’ll have someone who is willing to stick with a self proclaimed slow runner!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Motivation Monday: Team Maddy

14 Sneakers2sandals August 20, 2012 at 10:51 pm

:) you’re always so smart to take the time and get food for the plane! I had a sucky airport salad.
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Talks Foods and Runs @HLSummit

15 Kristen August 21, 2012 at 3:27 am

Looks so fun! Glad you had such a great time- looks like all your (+ others) hard work made for a huge success!
Kristen recently posted..Weekend Recap

16 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Wow! Looks like you guys got to explore A LOT of the city!! You hit up quite a few of the big areas – well done! I actually have never had the meals at Flour, only the bakery items. I’m now inspired to go back and try some of it!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Stonyfield Organic Frozen Greek Yogurt Decathlon Contest

17 Caroline August 22, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thanks Meghann for putting together HLS! I had such a gret time at all the fun activities and conferences. So great meeting you and look forward to seeing you again at a future conference! :)

18 Emily @ Relishments August 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

That market looks incredible! I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in Boston.
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Twosday: HLS Edition

19 Cait August 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

My best friend owns Crema! She and another friend gutted the existing building and created this new awesome cafe from scratch. I’m surprised you weren’t a fan of the coffee as that is their specialty and I know they spend lots of time carefully choosing the coffee’s they use (I’ve been to a tasting where they were choosing between two coffees to have as their “special coffee” and they take it pretty seriously!). I’m glad you enjoyed the food though! Next time try the Ginger Lemonade or (if its cold) the Ginger Steamer. It’s the best!

20 Meghann August 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Tell your friend she has a fabulous place! I’ve realized that coffee from specialty coffee shops always tastes off to me (I think Starbucks has ruined my taste in coffee and have sadly left me with a palette for really strong, bitter coffee). I was the only one in the group who thought it tasted strange, but again, I have weird taste in coffee.

21 Cait August 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Will do :)

And luckily they have lots of yummy non-coffee drinks if you happen to go again! Glad you enjoyed Boston!

22 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full August 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I can’t wait to read your behind the scenes recap. I planned a professional conference earlier this June (only about 60 attendees though) and it was so much work and I couldn’t have done it without volunteers to help me! It’s hard for people to realize how much work goes into these events sometimes, especially when the event runs smoothly!
Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full recently posted..Adventures in Canning: Pints of Pickled Peppers.