Gearing Up for Healthy Living Summit 2012

by Meghann on August 15, 2012

Good Morning!!

eeekkkk….. my apologies in advance for all the Healthy Living Summit talk, but I can’t believe we fly out tomorrow!! I’m so full of adrenaline and happiness, that I might explode with excitement over it all.

HLSLogo-browntext.jpg

Here’s a look back at the Healthy Living Summits of yester-years.

The first Healthy Living Summit (2009) in Boston.

Summit Group Photo.jpg

We were such babies then. The summit started as an idea to get a few blogging friends together for a weekend of fun and grew from there. I’ll never forget the night tickets went on sale and our PayPal server crashed. Luckily we’ve learned a lot since then.

2010 in Chicago

This was the year we grew bigger and better. We introduced various sessions, and welcomed on a few more sponsors for a greater event. I still have the photo booth photos from the cocktail party pinned to my cork board in the office.

2011 in Philadelphia

Last year’s event was the first where I took over a larger share of the planning abilities. It was exciting, but a lot of work. Thankfully I learned my lesson – when help is offered, accept it! I had my siblings and Derek with me in Philly and there’s no way I could have done it without them.

2012

Now, here we are, 48 hours away from the kick-off events in Boston. Just like years’ past, I’ve learned a lot planning for this year’s summit. I’m so thankful for partnering with HealthyLivingBlogs.com early on in the planning process. Without Heather or Julie (super organized ROCKSTARS!) there might not have been a 2012 summit. They came on board with a fresh pair of eyes and made changes that I know will only enhance the summit experience for bloggers in attendance.

Things I’m looking forward to this year:

Shaking my booty at Friday night’s cocktail party.

Traditionally the Friday night cocktail party has been a place to sip cocktails and casually mingle. Not this year – this year we’re there to dance. We have a rockin’ playlist, a dance floor, and enough booze to get us all groovin. Our sponsor, Rebootizer, will even be hosting a “Shake Your Rebooty” dance-off and, trust me, it is sooo on. Do I have any dance-off challengers?! ;)

Saturday’s Long Run

I won’t be going more than 6 or so miles this year, but I’m very excited to participate in the traditional HLS long run with other crazy runners. When the summit was in Chicago in 2010 I was in the middle of training for the Chicago Marathon and had 16 miles on my schedule, luckily I wasn’t alone. I ended up running all 16 miles with the HLS long run group and spent the whole time chatting and bonding with the group. Some of the runners I didn’t know before hand, but became and remain great friends with along the run.

Last year a crazy amount of us were up for the 4:30am(!!) meet-up time before Saturday’s sessions. I couldn’t believe how many people were up – just goes to show we are a crazy bunch.

CrossFit with Reebok

Super excited about CrossFit on Saturday! With my wedding date fast approaching, I’ve been debating joining a CrossFit gym to tone up before the big day (I’m even *this close* to talking Derek into it too). I think this workout will give a nice sneak peek on what to expect, since I’ve never actually been to a class before. I’m pumped!

The sessions!

We worked really hard this year to bring in some great speakers and topics. Last year I was too busy running around like a chicken with my head cut off to sit in on any, but I’m making it a point to pop in on a few this year. I’m even speaking on a panel (gulp!) I’ve only spoken at one conference before (Central Florida BlogCon) and it was a nerve wrecking nightmare. Luckily I have two awesome panel mates (Holly and Clare) who are seriously on top of their game. Come check us out at the “I am a Blogger in Your Neighborhood” panel. We’re discussing how to network and branch out in your local blogging community.

Seeing old friends and making new ones

Probably the #1 reason most people attend any blogging conference is to see the online friends that they only get to see every once in blue moon. I’ve had the honor of making some wonderful friends since I started this blog 4 years ago, and I can’t wait to re-connect with them in Boston. I also can’t wait to make new ones. If you’re a newbie at HLS – don’t be shy! Come say Hi! Also, I HIGHLY recommend checking out all of the “mini mingle” sessions we have going on through the weekend. These mini sessions are free and open to everyone. They’ll also be a little more intimate than the bigger official stuff, which is perfect for getting to know new and old bloggers.

I could probably go on and on about all the stuff I’m looking forward to, but I’ll keep it at that. I think I’m more pumped than ever to head to Boston. Will I see you there? :)

A good way to release all that extra energy? Running. I had an exceptionally speedy one this morning, holding an 8:30 min/mi pace for 4 miles. Whoa – I guess I really do have energy to spare.

My run was followed by a smoothie and vita top.

Smoothie mix:

• frozen cherries
  • ice
  • black cherry Chobani
  • spinach
  • chia seeds
  • peanut butter
  • almond milk

IMG_9369.jpg

Blueberry Bran VitaTop with Almond Butter

Time to pack!!

1 Kristin August 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

So so so excited to attend my first HLS! Thank you to you and the team for putting together an incredible agenda! ps- I’m so in for the dance off :)

2 Rachel Wilkerson August 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

Woooo can’t wait to see everything you have been working on for this year…so excited!!

3 Katie Cummings August 15, 2012 at 11:56 am

Ahh I’m jealous I would love to attend in the future!

4 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

As a very new blogger, I’m really looking forward to following everyone’s HLS posts! I hope some day I’ll be able to attend!

5 Gwen August 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Congrats on getting to this point! I’m sure the conference will be amazing. I’m envious of all the attendees!

6 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’m so excited to see everyone’s posts on HLS. Traveling to a blogging conference isn’t really in my budget, so I’ll have to live vicariously through everyone else :) I really hope I’m able to go to HLS someday, though! It seems like SO much fun!

7 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’ll see you there!! A little (well really a lot) jealous that I can’t join the long run group because of my knee injury. I may sneak in a few miles just because I’m stubborn. Getting excited!

8 Kathy August 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Seriously I just want that smoothie right now….I just ate an egg sandwich with some crushed red peppers and my mouth is a little hot. ;-)

9 Annette @FitnessPerks August 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This sounds real awesome! I am excited for all you guys!! I couldn’t go this year, but maybe next’s?! :)

10 Leah August 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Ah, I wish HLS wasn’t this weekend– I live in Boston, so it would have been perfect if it weren’t the weekend of my very first triathlon! I’ll be waving from the SheRox tri in Devens :)

11 Meghan August 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Omg come back to Philly next year!!! This is really an amazing thing you and others put on. You really inspire me in so many ways! Thank you!!

12 Amanda @RunToTheFinish August 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm

yeahhhh very excited and so happy to be a part of this great event this year. I’ve got my own WOHOO post about HLS going up tomorrow..there really is so much going beyond what the agenda shows it’s pretty amazing.

can’t wait to see you again!

13 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This post just got me way more excited than I already am!!! :D I cannot wait. I’m excited to see you again, too! Disney was fun, but I’m sure this will be even better! ;D

14 SkinnyRunner August 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

dude you are a planning rockstar. i might be in the corner trying and eating chocolate and trying to deal with stress if i were in your shoes.

15 Megan August 15, 2012 at 2:55 pm

you should totally do crossfit!! It will definitely tone you up quick for your wedding! CrossFit One is awesome! :)

16 Stephanie August 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have been seeing a lot of recipes for smoothies/oatmeal with chia seeds. Where can I buy these? :)

17 Meghann August 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I bought mine at Whole Foods, but you can find them at any of your local health food stores or even Amazon -> http://amzn.to/PokIpO

18 Heather August 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

yay! So excited! see you tomorrow, going to be awesome.

19 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife August 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm

yay! I’ll see you there! (:

20 Angela August 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

You guys are going to have so much fun with Crossfit!! That’s awesome they are going to be a part of it! Which Crossfit is doing the demo for you guys?!

Really wish I could have gone this year I have been reading about HLS for years!

21 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run August 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

I am so excited to head to HLS in the morning. Thanks to all of you that worked so hard on planning this event. I’m all for Friday night dancing, although I need to save something for 13 miles on Saturday morning.

22 Emily N August 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Have fun. I know that you have worked hard (it is evidenced all over this blog!) so enjoy yourself!