Level 10

by Meghann on August 14, 2012

I think my stress level peaked at a 10 today.

We’re getting down to the nitty gritty with Healthy Living Summit, which means the final BEOs (banquet order forms) arrived in my inbox this morning. I took a deep breath before I opened that email and braced myself for the worst. Unfortunately, the worst was what I got (and then some). Poor Maddie about had a heart attack when she heard my scream. Something wasn’t right.

After going through the numbers with my hotel contact over the phone (cutting this and that along the way), we reached a happy medium that was still a far cry from the original numbers I had budgeted. I asked her to send a complete breakdown of pricing and brought out my old BEOs from last year to compare. It took about 30 minutes of staring at the numbers to realize there was an error – a $16,000 charge(!!) had mysteriously attached itself to the lunch total. The mystery charge was a computer glitch that was no one’s fault but the computer’s. I can’t tell you how much my body relaxed after the numbers fell back into normal range – I’m pretty sure I got 10 years of my life back on that one.

Let this be a little reminder that if your budgeted numbers don’t feel right – keep digging until you either find the error or the solution. It has to be there somewhere!

If that’s my peak of stress and anxiety for this summit, we’ll call it a successful event. One can hope, right? 😉

How has your day been? Any planning related blunders you want to share?

Today’s lunch

Breakfast tacos!

Not quite as delicious as the greasy breakfast tacos I enjoyed in Austin last March, but they work. :)

Inside two corn tortillas I had spinach, mushrooms, tomato, two eggs (one for each tortilla) and guacamole.

On the side I had the rest of the tomato

And an applesauce.

I love applesauce. I always save them for last so I can end my meal with a smile. :)

Back to the craziness!

(p.s. I <3 the craziness!!! Watching all the last minute details fall into place is the fun part!)

1 RunInBoise August 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I think I would have had a heart attack if I had an extra $16,000 charge on anything. Glad it got worked out and hopefully everything else will be glitch-free.
RunInBoise recently posted..Today’s Goal- Done!

2 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna August 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

i’m pretty sure i would’ve flipped out and curled up into a little ball if that had happened to me!! glad to hear it all got worked out, though! i wish i was able to go to HLS this year.. ah well there’s always next year! 😉
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Sweat Out the Anger.

3 Annette @FitnessPerks August 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Oh MY goodness! I would’ve totally FLIPPED out if there was any extra 16,000$ charge! hah. Everything will go great, I am sure :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Adora Disks Review & Giveaway

4 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Yikes! Deep, calming breaths….

Glad you found the glitch, and that that’s all it was!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..On The Road Again…

5 Stepf August 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Glad it worked out! Super stressful indeed, but if it’s no one’s fault, why divulge it? Seems like a business detail that’s better kept private.

6 Meghann August 14, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I thought it would serve as a good reminder to always double check your numbers if something feels off and that mistakes happen. We get so wrapped up in stressful situations, I wanted to blog about one with a happy ending and a smile.

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’ve planned several events for work and I had one that the week of the event, the venue cancelled on me. Then they came back and said OK, and then they said no AGAIN! It was such a roller coaster week but ultimately I was able to come up with an alternative and pull together an AMAZING event. My manager still calls it the best our store has ever had and then had me plan a similar event for our market. Sometimes the bad has to come so we can have the good. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A New Training Plan

8 meagan August 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Glad everything worked out! I’m getting sooo excited for HLS this weekend! All of the sessions, workouts, and extras look awesome!
ps. Your lunch looks amazinggg.
meagan recently posted..what i’ve been up to

9 Becky @ runfundone August 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

My husband once had a zero added to the end of his tip at a restaurant! That was a bit scary! Our $10 tip turned to $100! Luckily we caught it, and the restaurant and the waiter took care of the problem quickly. But $16,000 is a lot more than $100! :)
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Injury Limits

10 Laura August 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Glad you caught the error!

11 Paige August 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I am glad that you got everything worked out! I am sure HLS will be a success!! :)

I babysat for a lady today with an 18 month old and she paid me $60 for 10.5 hours… My normal charge is $12/ hr…. I am not happy with this and do not know how to handle it since it is a sister of a friend…. Any suggestions?

12 Erin @ erinberries August 14, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Yikes! That’s a big error! Thank goodness you caught that!
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Paleo Coconut Chicken

13 Candice August 15, 2012 at 12:19 am

I cant even imagine planning an event like that.. I wanted to be there SO bad but it just wasn’t in the cards this year… (I haven’t been to blogger event yet!) Just a few local get together’s.
You are simply amazing! I know I appreciate all the work your doing for everyone and I won’t even be there!
Great job Meg!
Candice recently posted..Tuesday Climb

14 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

Oh my god I would die! Good thing you’re smart and checked it! I can’t wait for HLS – it’s my first one since I started blogging 8 months ago and I am excited to get to meet so many like-minded people and other bloggers I look up to like yourself! :)
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #20: Berry Spinach Smoothie {What I Ate Wednesday}

15 Meghann August 15, 2012 at 11:02 am

Can’t wait to meet you!!

16 Emily N August 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Glad you found the error. I am sure that was a weight off your shoulders!
Emily N recently posted..My Fitness: One Year Ago – A Reflection

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Good lord, a $16,000 difference would make me scream too! Glad it was all a mistake!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW – Road Trip Style

18 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life August 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

Holy cow that sounds stressful!!! I would definitely be screaming too!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..WI(WI)AW

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm

God, an extra $20 charge on something would freak me out. $16 000? I would actually die a little.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Shower or the Internet.