Spanish Quinoa Casserole

by Meghann on August 13, 2012

My grandmother sent me this sketch she did of Maddie yesterday.

Maddie_5x7_web.jpg

I love how she nailed Maddie’s eyebrows. Maddie is not Maddie without her eyebrows. ;)

Today was a crazy day, I seriously can not believe Healthy Living Summit kicks off in just a few short days! (p.s. how cool is it the team at Greatist is kicking off this year’s summit?!) I feel like there’s still a lot to do, but the good news is we’re pretty much on track to get it all done (fingers crossed!). I had two very productive conference calls today, I finalized the agenda and directory with my two planning partners, and our team is all set to fine tune the remaining details during the next couple of days. At this point, I think we’re just ready to get to Boston and get this party started!

Lunch was enjoyed at my desk well past noon (I was in the zone and forgot it was lunch time)

I went for easy and grilled a sandwich on the George Foreman.

Between two pieces of whole wheat bread I had hummus, carrot, spinach, tomatoes, and cheese.

Peanut butter pretzels on the side

And an applesauce

Good food.

I had a mid-afternoon handful of nuts.

Dinner was a huge hit.

It’s hard not to be a hit with chicken, black beans, cheese and quinoa.

Spanish Quinoa Casserole

• 3 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/2 chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
  • chili powder
  • cumin
  • s&p

Chop the chicken breast into bite size pieces and add to a hot pan. Wait a few minutes, then gradually add onions, carrots, corn, and mushrooms. Season with chili powder, cumin, and s&p and cook until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked through. Add the black beans, quinoa, and cheese. Mix well, then pour everything in a casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes at 415.

Serve on a bed of spinach with guacamole.

Delicious. :)

I polished off the last of the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake for dessert.

I’m so sad to see this go. Must make again soon. :)

I updated the wedding page today – Were you a cake smasher?

Must. Sleep. Now.

Good Night!

1 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 13, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I just made quinoa last night – it’s one of my favorite grains because it cooks up so quickly & is packed with nutrients & protein!
Can’t wait to read all the HLS recaps :)
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..The Best

2 Camile August 13, 2012 at 11:38 pm

So I don’t know if this is a possibbility but I just thought I would mention it. I have been dying to go to the HLS since you first started it, but it is always the weekend before school starts in FL and I just cannot do it as a teacher. I think that you guys are limiting teachers attending by doing it at back to school time. I know BlogHer is early August, but maybe in July or late September, anytime but back to school. I know you get how hard this is for teachers since Kelly is a teacher and had to miss back to school in order to attend last year. I hope I can attend one day!

3 Sarah August 13, 2012 at 11:48 pm

That looks amazing! :)

4 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 14, 2012 at 7:11 am

What a cute sketch of Maddie — it’s all in the eyebrows :)

The Mr & I received a watercolor painting of our pup for Christmas last year. My mother in law works with a lady who is a very respected artist and she did it for a very reasonable price as a favor. It’s amazing how she captured the essence of our pup in a painting!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..On The Road Again…

5 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 14, 2012 at 7:18 am

Quinoa was my main dish last night too. Random! I am definitely a fan now that Ive figured out how to make it. Love the idea of tossing in black beans and corn. That pretty much makes anything good I think. :D
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Perfect Quinoa and Old School 90210

6 Emily N August 14, 2012 at 8:05 am

Hmm good use for guac. J brought home a bag of 5 avocados yesterday, and now I need to figure out how to use them!
Emily N recently posted..Running: A Week In Review

7 Laura August 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

What was the name of the book you read the other week and recommended on the blog? I wanted to read it and cannot remember the name of it!

8 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

ahhh! I’m also so excited for #HLS12! I can’t wait to see what you lovely ladies have been working on so hard for so long. It’s going to be a blast!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Just Stopping By

9 Erin @ erinberries August 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m sooo excited for this weekend! HLS is going to be a blast!
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Waffles and Ice Cream…Plus Exciting Announcement!

10 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 14, 2012 at 11:15 am

Ahhhh I just got really anxious about HLS! I can’t believe it’s so close!!! Haha I’m very excited but I also tend to get anxious when I’m going into the unknown! I’m sure it will be an amazing weekend!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts!

11 BroccoliHut August 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Love the picture of Maddie!! You’re so right–the eyebrows are very essential to capturing her.

12 Sandy August 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

I love the sketch of Maddie. Your grandmother is very talented. Your food always looks yummy as usual! YUM!