more ยป" />

Upcoming Races for 2012

by Meghann on August 13, 2012

Summer is slowly coming to an end in Florida. Pumpkin beer has officially started appearing on grocery store shelves, school starts back up next week, and hurricane season is just starting to ramp up… You know what that means right? Fall race season is almost here!! I think this just might be my favorite time of the year. ;)

Here’s what I have on the race schedule this season:

MIracle Miles 15k

September 22, 2012

MM 2012 logo.jpeg

New logo for 2012 :)

I LOVE Miracle Miles! I’ve run this race three times (2008, 2009, 2010), so it holds a lot of special memories for me. It was my first Orlando race, my first 15k (at the time it was also a new PDR), my first race with Caitlin, and it’s just in general a fun race to do. It’s also easy on the wallet (if you register before September 15th, the fee is only $27!) and you get a medal at the end (bonus points for races that hand out medals).

The 15k really is a great distance. I’m sad there aren’t more 15ks around here because it’s just long enough to really push yourself, without going too far. I’m no where near speed-ready shape for this race (seems to be the trend when ever I run this race), but it’s still a great one to open the season with and it might inspire me to work a little harder in the future.

Miami 70.3

October 28, 2012

Miami703.jpg

Yes, I’m still doing this race. It’s been hovering on radar for months now and I only have a half-finished training plan to show for it – oops. The plan was to dive into training this month, but my schedule grew a little crazy. Luckily, I’ve been keeping up with regular swim workouts (just need to work a few open water swims in there), I’ve been running regularly, and I’ve ridden my bike twice (this isn’t really “good” news – I need to work on this), so I have a good base. Now I just need to fine tune it with more bike rides, bricks, and longer runs.

Women’s Running Half Marathon St. Petersburg

November 18, 2012

womenshalf.jpeg

I am crazy excited about this race! Not only because the course is almost identical to the course I ran my half marathon PR on back in February (only in reverse order), but because the beautiful medal has a removable charm that can turn into a necklace.

3_stp_medal.jpeg

I’ve actually come close to registering for this race in both 2010 and 2011, but the weekends didn’t work out. This year I cleared my calendar and put Women’s Half Marathon on November 18th before anything else could take it. I registered for this race back in February, which shows just how committed I am to do it (it’s very rare that I register for a race so far in advance).

*Bonus* I’m working with Women’s Running Magazine this year as one of their featured training blogs! I have a giveaway for a FREE race entry in the works for tomorrow or you could use the code MMBLOG10FL for $10 off registration now!

OUC Orlando Half Marathon

December 1, 2012

OUC Half Marathon.jpeg

The OUC Half Marathon was my first half marathon back in 2008. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do the race since 2008 due to scheduling conflicts. As luck would have it, this year’s race just happens to fall on a date that works for all my bridesmaids for my upcoming bachelorette weekend and one of the items on my wish list was to do a race that weekend. Perfect! So we’re all signing up (well, those of us that run) and I’m hoping to run in a veil and other bridal themed accessories. It shall be epic. :)

So, there you have it – my remaining race schedule for 2012. I might throw in a a 5k or 10k here or there, but those will probably be last minute decision races as they come. :)

What’s on your fall race schedule?

1 RunInBoise August 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

The Womens Half medal looks neat. I have a few races already planned the next 2 months, an 8 miler, 5K and another half.

2 Jennifer August 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

What an inspiring list! I have one 5k coming up in October.. whoo! ;)

3 Sarah August 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

That schedule looks fun!

I love fall- and everything about it! The decor, the smell & pumpkin and apple everywhere, the cool crisp air, the temperature, the leaves, the food… Everything! :)

4 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Awesome idea for OUC! I plan to run it as well – its such a fun race!!

5 Meghann August 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Woo hoo!!!

6 Debbie B. August 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I am doing a 10k in Utah for Labor Day weekend. The entry fee is only $20 so I can’t pass it up although the altitude may kill me.

I am also doing the woman’s half in November. I am hoping to get a few more races in September and October. (5k’s or 10ks’)

7 Chloe (In Fine Feather) August 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

So far – nothing :) I’m not much of a runner but I think it would be fun to train for a 5K this fall or winter. Getting workouts in while I’m at school is tough for me so that might be my motivation to stay in shape!

8 Mary August 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Mine is not as epic as yours. I’m in Brian’s brother’s wedding on Nov. 3 so that kind of puts a damper on any epic race plans. I might do a women’s half in Durham at the end of October, then Run Outerbanks 1/2 Marathon in November.

You forgot to mention Myrtle Beach in February! ;) I guess that’s technically not a fall race, but more of a winter race.

9 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward August 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

My husband and I were thinking about going to Orlando for our 1 year anniversary this December… do you know of any great races around Dec. 15th -16th? If you have any recommendations send em my way!

10 J August 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Meghann,

Are you planning to run all your races for fun or do you have time goals in mind (or is it just too early to decide?). The reason I ask is that I know I’d get injured doing so many long races for speed back-to-back but you do seem to be really lucky in the injury department, so maybe it works for you. And I agree that races should have medals or some kind of cool swag.

11 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Yeesh, that’s quite the list (to me anyway…)

I’m amazed you can fit it all in! Way to go!

12 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Looks like a great schedule, Meghann! I was planning on posting a similar post about my Fall/Winter plans, too! :D Great minds!!

13 Annette @FitnessPerks August 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Wow! You’ve got a lot of races planned–verycool!

My BIG race is in 12 days- a Half IronMan. Ahhhhhh!!

14 RunEatRepeat August 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I saw this race in Women’s Running and thought of you:

Specifically, I thought I should go out to FL and we could run it together :)

15 RunEatRepeat August 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm

NM, just realized it was canceled. I was too busy dreaming up our supergirl costumes to pay attention to the details. Sad.

16 Meghann August 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm

They canceled it? My friends did that race last year, I was going to sign up with them this year, but I’m not free the day of the race.

17 Tracy August 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

That’s awesome! Let’s see….track shacks celebration of running 5k this Saturday, Disneyland half, tower of terror 10 ,iler, wine and dine half, and Orlando half! Guess I’ll see you there! Want to do the 15k but I don’t know if i should as I have the tower of terror race the weekend after……but it’s tempting!

18 Meghan August 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

So far signed up for …Live Strong 5k the 22nd, Rock ‘n Roll Philadelphia September, and possibly the Goofy Race and a Half…I am trying to do a race every month this year! Have you thought about doing the Goofy challenge?

19 Meghann August 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

I have thought about it, however the race is the week after my wedding so I’m still not sure

20 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I am so ready for Fall and races. It is too hot here in Dallas for me to run during the summer so I am anxiously awaiting cooler temps

21 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I don’t race, but I’m more than ready for Fall to arrive in Michigan!

22 meghan August 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m all signed up for miracle miles and plan to.do ouc so I will have to keep an eye out for you all! My running group is doing the women’s half but my husband said no since I am running tower of terror and Disney marathonand we know how expensive those are!

23 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Right now my training schedule is blank. Boo for injuries! I’m hoping that I can get in some races this fall. It really is the perfect time for races.

24 Sarahf August 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I have a (my first!) full marathon planned for November, but a knee injury has kept me from training for the last 3 weeks. It still isn’t 100%, but I can manage very short runs do you think there is any hope?

25 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

That’s a lot of races! I really can’t afford to sign up for many so right now I’m only registered for the Chicago Marathon, but there is a Hot Chocolate 15k in November I’d live to do!

26 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

You’ve got a lot on your plate–I’m jealous!

My upcoming races include a 5K on 08/24 (that would have been a half marathon, if not for a nagging hamstring issue), a 5K on 09/08, a half marathon on 09/23, a potential 5K on 10/27 (my husband is the race director, so I’m sure I’ll be too busy “helping” to actually run, but a lot of the volutneers got to run last year, so my fingers are crossed!), and a potential 5K on Thanksgiving! Mostly short races, but I’m hoping to plan better for next year and run a few longer races!

27 Amanda August 14, 2012 at 6:00 am

Wow, that’s a packed schedule! Good to have something to aim for.

28 Diane @ DixieJulep August 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’m hoping to do the Miracle Miles 5K and the OUC Orlando Half, too!

I had a hard time deciding whether to do the 5K or 15K at Miracle Miles this year. I love the good cause and the location. And 15K is a fun (and unique distance), but I always struggle with the heat this time of year, both for training and especially on race day. I ended up deciding to do the 5K instead, but if they moved it a little later in the year I’d do the 15 again in a heartbeat.