more ยป" />

New Chews

by Meghann on August 11, 2012

Good morning!

Today felt like a bike morning. :)

I should have taken photos of all the various triathlon, 70.3, and full ironman stickers that littered the cars in the parking lot at the trail head this morning. The parking lot was packed with at least 30 or 35 cars and I would say 75% of the cars had some sort of sticker on the back window (including my own). Triathletes don’t like to brag at all, do we? ;)

Despite the overflowing trailhead, the trail itself wasn’t terribly crowded. I saw just enough people to know help wasn’t too far in case I needed it. In fact, when I stopped at my turn around at mile 15 for a mini break, two passing cyclists stopped to make sure I was ok. “Yep, just taking a photo of the trail to prove that I was out here. ”

20120811_093535.jpg

It was GORGEOUS out. HOT, but gorgeous. Those are usually the mornings where riding a bike in the heat sounds mildly more appealing than running in it. I did my 30 miles and was very happy to be done.

Before my bike ride, I had a piece of toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, fresh cherries, and walnuts.

I brought a pack of the new G Series Pro Energy Chews that Gatorade sent me on the ride.

I wanted to do a full review on these because – when I saw them start to pop up at my local grocery store – even I was curious about them. They’re almost like Gatorade’s answer to Gu Chomps or Clif Shot Bloks. The price point behind the G Series Chews is much lower than the chomps/bloks (when I saw them at Publix they were on sale two packs for $1.50 -> each pack contained 6 chews, so you get a total of 12 chews for $1.50 compared to $2.00 for a package of 6 shot bloks) and the fact that I could find them at Publix, and not have to drive to a specialty sports store, was a bonus.

The fruit punch flavor was tasty, easy to chew, and melted in my mouth without leaving a sticky residue. The calorie count was a little low for my taste. All 6 chews equaled 100 calories, so if I were going on a longer run (12+ miles), I would want to carry a little more than one packet. They also didn’t have caffeine, which I usually prefer in my running fuel for an extra bust of energy.

I’m still not sure what to think about the G Series Chews and would have to use them overtime to develop an overall opinion. But, honestly, the taste and price point have already won me over. Chomps/bloks can add up quickly, so if the G Series Chews are able to enter the market with a cheaper price point, they’ve already caught my attention.

Have you tried the new G Series Energy Chews? What did you think?

The long drive home from the trail was filled with thoughts on how much I couldn’t wait to get out of my stinky clothes, how much I couldn’t wait to shower, and how much I couldn’t wait to eat breakfast.

Luckily, Derek was able to take care of breakfast so I could take care of getting out of stinky clothes and showering first.

He made a scrambled omelete with spinach, carrot, fresh basil (LOVE fresh basil with eggs!), and cheese. So good.

And 1/2 a fresh mango on the side.

And now I’m running late. I have a very important baby shower to get to in Orlando, and I should have left 10 minutes ago for it. Whoops. Don’t worry – I’m on my way now!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Ah I got so excited about the chews, but in the end the price is really the same to get the same number of calories! Too bad

2 Elisabeth August 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I just saw the new Gatorade products at my grocery (and saw the decent price!) – I’ve been waiting to see if I saw any good reviews :)

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Beautiful scenery, yummy food — sounds like a great morning! :)

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve never tried chews at all before! I usually go with dried fruit or dates if I need a little something for running/working out.

5 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ve been holding out on buying the Gatorade chews until I read more reviews. They seem like a decent bang for my buck, but at the same time they are pretty low in calorie count for long runs. I do like that they’re readily available at our grocery store, as we live in the middle of nowhere and our closest running stores are at least 45 minutes away. :-/

6 Elisabeth August 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This has nothing to do with this post, but I have a question for you. As a Verizon Ambassador, I think you’ve tried out both the Droid Razr & the Galaxy SIII? I’m trying to decide between them – thoughts?

7 Amanda August 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Have you ever tried riding in the San Antonio area just north of Tampa? I’ve ridden there before and couldn’t believe I was still in Florida. Rolling hills, trees eveywhere to block the shade, and the occasional short and steep climb. Kind of like Clermont terrain but with less traffic!

8 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife August 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’ve been wanting to try those chews. I see them on some blogs every now and then!

9 Annette @FitnessPerks August 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’d love to try those!

10 Laura August 11, 2012 at 10:16 pm

30 miles before breakfast. Go girl! Get it!

11 Laura @ sweatingforit August 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Sounds like a great ride! I haven’t tried Gatorade Chews yet, but I’ll definitely be looking for them!

12 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 12, 2012 at 12:38 am

what a delicious looking breakfast! oh my gosh i need to try cherries and almond butter stat!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

Mmm that mango is making my mouth water. :)

14 Emily N August 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

So I was thinking about the chews… they look good, I want to try them, but I usually would take two packages on my 12+ mile runs. (200 calories) with shot bloks I would only need to carry one pack. It makes the price point a little more reasonable for the shot bloks, even though it is still a little higher, esp if you like them more, right? :-)
But I do still want to try these.

15 Kelly August 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I love the color of your handlebar tape. My bike needs to be re-wrapped and I think I’ll pick out tape specifically to match my tri suit. I might not have my priorities in order for this whole racing business …