My arms are done

by Meghann on August 10, 2012

Remember all those butterfly and breaststrokes that I was raving about on Wednesday night?

Umm… yeah. Ouch. I could definitely feel them today. My whole team could. As soon as we jumped in the water, we knew we were in trouble. Sore arms, sore pecs, and sore shoulders – not cool. And, of course, today was the day our coach thought it would be a good idea to work on pulls. He wore our arms out until there was nothing left, then had us do another hundred just in case there was.

Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 9.56.23 AM.png

I was really struggling with the pulls with dead legs today. Usually they’re my favorite, but my arms were already so tired and so worn out that by the time coach tied our legs up, handed us paddles, and told us to swim – I was done. I couldn’t get enough momentum with my pulls, so my legs sunk and I was involuntarily kicking. By the last lap Felipe had added another tie to keep my legs “dead” and was swimming behind me, making sure I didn’t sink. By the time I finished I was *this close* to collapsing on the pool deck in exhaustion. Well played, coach.

At least it’s good to know I’m not the only one hurting after that workout.

Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 9.49.46 AM.png

Somewhere our coach is smiling. He takes pride when we complain about how hard he worked us – it means he’s doing his job. :)

After a workout like that, I couldn’t wait to get home and eat.

Two pieces of whole wheat toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, peach slices, ground flax, and walnuts.

Extra peach slices on the side.

Gobbled right up before I even hit the shower.

My body is exhausted. Time to revel in that post-workout bliss at my desk. Oh, and did I mention it’s Friday. Woo hoo!

1 Sneakers2sandals August 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

You’re going to have those sexy swimmer arms! ;)
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Annie’s Organics Makes Me Smile

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Ouch, sounds painful!

Good thing it’s Friday! :)
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 10, 2012 at 10:28 am

haha I feel exhausted just reading this! Glad you had a great workout!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..The Secrets to Motivation

4 Annette @FitnessPerks August 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

HURTS so good, baby! I totally know that feeling<–had it this week after teaching a tough, tough shoulder workout 3x/this week!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fitness & Health Survey (This & That)

5 hellonheelshon August 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

OMG noodle arms! I dislike pull workouts SO MUCH. Haha. Feel better. Just remember, it will all be worth it in the end! P.S. I took a page out of your book and ran in the AM. Whoa. What a difference!
hellonheelshon recently posted..Goodbye Fancy Gym

6 Amanda August 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

Nothing like a good workout!
Amanda recently posted..Thursday Eats

7 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna August 10, 2012 at 11:20 am

that workout sounds tough!! it’s making me tired just thinking about it ;)

& happy friday!!!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..On A Smoothie Mission.

8 Cait's Plate August 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

Nothing like peach and almond butter! :) Congrats on another good workout!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Whole Grain Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

9 La August 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Just curious if you had to pay to join this swim group, or is it free? Is your coach a volunteer or paid coach?

10 Meghann August 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

It’s free. The group swim practices are free, if I were to design a plan with him I would pay for it. You can check him out at XPmultisport.com

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Mmm I love peaches! Give yourself some rest, sounds like your arms could use it! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Sleep Deprivation

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I hate those workouts while they’re going on, but afterwards – you just feel awesome that you did it. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Gym Inspiration + Chocolate Egg White “Oatmeal”.

13 Sarah K August 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Those peaches look delicious! I want to get into swimming but am nervous to start when I have no idea what I’m doing in the pool. Do you have any advise for people trying to get into lap swimming?
Sarah K recently posted..Olympic Playlist