Maddie’s Morning Routine

by Meghann on August 9, 2012

Maddie left me this morning.

Generally I get up, take Maddie out, put her back in bed with Derek before I head out for my run, then take her back out when I’m done with my run. Generally by that time Derek is up and on his way out the door to the office. Maddie gets breakfast after her second walk, then proceeds to pass out on her bed or the couch for the next few hours.

Derek is working a later shift this week, so our routine is a little different. When I returned from my run to take Maddie out, I opened the door to our bedroom and found Maddie and Derek still sleeping. Maddie lifted her head, but didn’t look like she didn’t want to be bothered. I called for her and, after she took the time to yawn and stretch, she came to the door and we went outside. I made her breakfast when we returned (which she ate), but then she proceeded to take up camp in front of the bedroom door, gently nudging it with her head. She knew Derek was still in there sleeping and she wanted to join him.

I opened the door and she pranced in, looked around, then immediately curled up next to Derek on the bed before giving me a look that read “you can go now.”

What a traitor. I don’t blame her, I wouldn’t mind climbing back in the comfy bed either. :p

While Maddie was getting her beauty rest, I had a pleasant 5 mile run. When I returned, I made a good ole bowl of oatmeal.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • raisins

On top:

• granola
  • peanut butter
  • strawberries
  • walnuts

Lots of strawberries. I finished off the rest of the container. :)

Do you and your pet have a regular morning routine?

1 Amanda August 9, 2012 at 10:11 am

When I had cats a few years ago, I used to let them run outside and chase lizards in the yard every day. They would claw at the sliding-glass door and cry so that they could go cause mischief. Then after an hour, they would leave their “wild” life and come back to their “domesticated” life and eat Fancy Feast. So spoiled.
Amanda recently posted..Photo class and a new jacket

2 Meghan August 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

I wish I had a morning routine but its hard in summer. Bed late means too tired in am for a run so my work out times are so inconsistent as are their intensities. Boo me!
Meghan recently posted..Day off = weak mind

3 SkinnyRunner August 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

my dog is a little spastic and will play favorites, sleeping in with my husband one day and then all up in my business in the early am the next day.

right now she’s laying on top of a blanket on top of a pillow on top of another pillow like the princess she thinks she is.

4 Cait's Plate August 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

I actually just started a morning exercise routine again. I’ve been doing it in the evenings but kind of miss getting out first thing in the morning. I wish I had a pet to do it with – it would make it a whole lot easier!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Whole Grain Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

Lol well I have a goldfish… and I usually remember to feed him.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts & WINNER!

6 Annette @FitnessPerks August 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

That bowl looks awesome! LOVE me some strawbs!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..FitMixer + Top Favorite Olympians

7 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I’m pet-less now that I don’t live with my parents, but when I lived at home my dog had a very specific Sunday morning routine. On Sundays–only on Sundays–my mom or dad would wake me up, and my dog would follow them, come into my room, jump on me, curl up for about five minutes, and then leave. What a goofball.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

8 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Haha. My dogs are the opposite. I’ve been trying to sleep in the last few weeks since we moved and I don’t have a job yet, but that is not possible with the dogs! Once my husband leaves, they know it is dog park/running time, and they will jump on my bed and start playing with me until I get up. At 80 lbs for my male, he is hard to ignore. I finally get so annoyed, I get out of bed, and take them to the dog park! I hurt my knee during my race a few weeks ago, and as soon as that heals up, it will be back to running. I’m so jealous of you!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..Ironman Lake Placid 2012: The Bike

9 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I get the same look from my Cooper. He’d much rather stay in bed with hubs than run with me. :)
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Guest Post – Body After Baby

10 erica August 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm

so funny!
my dog’s routine depends on my husband. if he gets up early, then my dog is up and running aroung bringing us toys…if he sleeps in, my dog wants nothing to do with me, and wants to stay glued to the bed too. in fact, just this morning, my husband has the day off so he was sleeping in and i was trying to get ollie (my dog) to leave (he comes to work with me) he actually looked at me and went to hide under the covers!
erica recently posted..weekend via instagram & iphone

11 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets August 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

haha my dogs do the same type of thing. Except they love to go in the bathroom and sit in the steam while I shower. Is that weird? Oh well.
Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets recently posted..June 24, 2012 – English Muffin Pizzas

12 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Haha, I love Maddie’s sass. My dog does a similar thin in the morning–she lays in the bed while I’m getting ready for my run, staring at me like I’m a crazy person for being up so early.
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..New compression socks!

13 Brit August 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Haha! You can go now. My dog totally left me for my boyfriend, too. I’m only good to her insofar as I can provide kibbles.
Brit recently posted..Anatomy of a Birthday

14 BroccoliHut August 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Margot and I definitely have a morning routine–we are both so much creatures of habit. It usually starts out with her nudging me awake with her cold nose!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Notes from the Intern III—To Be Continued