more ยป" />

It’s the Bacon

by Meghann on August 9, 2012

If cooking kale and tempeh in bacon fat is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

Yep. Bacon. And it was good.

Sizzle baby, sizzle.

Tonight’s dinner started with the last bit of bacon I had in the fridge. I fried it up in the skillet, then set the bacon to the side for later.

Then in went the onion and carrot in the same pan I used to cook the bacon.

Next, the tempeh.

Cooked until it looked like this.

Finally, the kale.

Almost there.

Two last additions. (yes, those are cherries)

Done.

I’m not 100% sure what to call this random concoction, but it was good. It was probably the bacon – bacon makes everything better. And who knew cherries and bacon was such a winning combo? I approve.

Derek approved too. He finished the skillet… it was probably the bacon. ;)

Paired with the last piece of the multigrain baguette.

If you have a family member who isn’t a fan of kale, I would suggest cooking it in bacon fat. It might defeat the purpose of the health benefits of kale, but it sure helps with the taste. :)

Afternoon nuts.

I think nuts are becoming my favorite go-to snack. Not only are they super easy to grab, but they’re filling and full of healthy fats and proteins. Plus, they taste good.

Post-dinner ice cream.

Holy cow – is tomorrow really Friday?!

Only one more week until I’m heading to Boston for Healthy Living Summit! Eeeekkk!!!!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 9, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Oooh, I’ll have to try that trick for kale — my husband isn’t a fan, but he loves bacon :)
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Rainy Day Girl Math

2 Renee August 9, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Bacon makes everything better. And I love your plates!

3 Kayla August 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I can’t believe it is already Friday too! The next two weeks are going to be crazy busy! Those cherries look so yummy – craving just started!
Kayla recently posted..Delicious Giveaway!

4 Laura August 9, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I’m interested to see if you are going to do a follow up on your post about exhaustion. do you think you will consider any of the suggestions from readers, or are you going to let your doctor handle it through blood work? i struggle with feeling tired as well, and would be interested to see if any changes you implemented deemed successful for you in the long run…

5 Meghann August 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes, I plan to do a follow up post, but I think it’s something that’s going to take some time to work through. I really want to talk to my doctor and get her opinion too. We’ll just see what happens.

6 Miranda @ Biting Life August 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

What a strange combination of ingredients! But it looks good, actually. I’m not a huge kale fan, though. Yumm, that ice cream is calling my name :)

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I think that’ll be my plan of attack every time I want to get the boyfriend it eat something healthy – cook it in bacon fat. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Almost at a Costco Standard.

8 Sara @my less serious life August 10, 2012 at 6:34 am

i always feel kinda wrong somehow when i do something like add a decadent meat to some really ‘healthy’ ingredients. but, girl…i’m sure it tasted wonderful! i’m all for adding bacon!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..my less serious tips: on moving

9 Lauren August 10, 2012 at 7:28 am

Anything is better in bacon fat. ;)

10 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 10, 2012 at 7:48 am

I think (and I might be wrong) you can also reduce that kind of bitter kale taste by boiling it for just a couple minutes, drying it off, and using it as called for in whatever dish you are preparing. Ive never done that personally but I think I saw it on Rachael Ray. :D Also, bacon works. Ha!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Florida Adventure

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

Omg that sounds So good! And since I’m going home then to CO then straight to HLS I started packing for HLS this morning!!! Ahhhh!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..The Secrets to Motivation

12 Emily N August 10, 2012 at 9:02 am

Nah, I am sure you are still getting the vitamins and stuff from kale, you just are getting the extra addition of delicious fat. :)

Honestly, it looks pretty delicious.
Emily N recently posted..Travel + Rest Day

13 hellonheelshon August 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

I just want to say that I love the pictures of food that you do decide to show us on this blog. Not only do I get really good and healthy (most of the time) cooking ideas, but it really helps to see portion control too. For example, your ice cream bowl. Great idea to use smaller dishes to help with this. :)
hellonheelshon recently posted..First Serious 5k Race

14 alli August 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

this post makes me chuckle just a little since emily @dailygarnish just posted the other day about her trip to the pig sanctuary and her comment about how it’s a common joke that ‘everything tastes better with bacon’ ;) i’m personally not a fan of bacon but that meal looks delicious!!!!!
<3 the blog! :D

15 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’m going to have to try this recipe–I made a kale dish once and just wasn’t a fan. Your dish looks amazing, though!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..#FitStreak Friday: Week 4 Recap

16 Amanda August 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I have bacon flavored olive oil from an olive mill in Arizona by my parents house and LOVE the stuff. I have cooked kale chips with it an it’s delicious. I wrote about my trip to the mill and the olive oil here: http://amandadennin.blogspot.com/2012/05/olive-juice-again.html

You can buy it online if you want to give it a try :)
Amanda recently posted..Friday’s Letters

17 Erin August 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

actually, the bacon fat helps absorb all the fat soluable vitamins found in your greens, PLUS it tastes good…yummy

18 Robin August 11, 2012 at 7:34 am

This looks so good. I may need to buy some bacon and kale this weekend.
Robin recently posted..Vacation Time!