Wedding: Invitation Browsing

by Meghann on August 8, 2012

When Derek and I first started planning our wedding, we took a look at our budget and immediately selected which items were really important to us – and worth splurging on – and which items weren’t. At the top of that list was photography, venue, and food. On the very, very bottom was invitations.

I think the idea of selecting and sending out invitations is fun, but I don’t necessarily think they’re something that deserve a lot of money or attention. Obviously, I might be in the minority here, and this might just be my opinion, but I don’t really care about them. They go on someone’s fridge for a couple of months, and then more than likely end up in the trash. Do people really care if the font is pressed, if the card stock is super high quality, or if it’s fancy shcmancy? Probably not. (And if they do, they probably won’t be attending my wedding, because it’s definitely a casual affair.) They just want to know when the wedding is, where the wedding is, and whether they have a +1 or not.

Now, stating that I don’t want to spend a lot of money on the invitations, doesn’t mean I don’t mind adding a bit of personality to them. I plan to keep ours simple, clean, and fun. If it was up to Derek, we would save money on both the postage and the invitation and just send out digital invitations. Which sounds AWESOME, but a little impractical when I think about all of my family members who don’t have a computer, or would probably instantly spam us.

We’ve also thought about going the super-budget friendly route and printing our own, but considering we don’t own a working printer, that actually might end up costing us more in the long run. Plus, the thought of trying to get everything to line up correctly for all 150 invitations makes my head hurt. I’m all for DIY, but the idea of self-printing makes me break out in hives.

Right now WeddingPaperDivas.com and Etsy are my two best friends.

I was actually hoping for some sort of snowflake-themed invitation, but it’s not a requirement. I found this on WeddingPaperDivas.com…

But it’s too formal and not rustic enough for my taste. Actually, that’s the problem I’ve found with a lot of the snowflake themed invitations, they’re very formal. I think I’m trying to break the formal winter mold with my rustic theme. πŸ™‚

I also like the idea of the poster style wedding invitations, like this one I found on Etsy.

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Yes, these invitations are very trendy right now, but I think they’re fun and fit the laid back vibe of the wedding.

If I can find a wedding invitation that combined the two, I’d be set. πŸ™‚

What did you do for invitations for your wedding?

1 Lindsay Margaret August 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I ordered from Etsy. I had plans of designing them myself, but like you got stressed about getting them printed etc. I found exactly what I wanted and ended up spending a little more than I initially thought, but had I done it myself I don’t think I would have actually save much.

2 Lauren @ Every Last Detail August 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

What you reaalllllyyyyy need is someone to customize a design for you! Sometimes it’s the same price as what you’ll pay online… it really depends on the printing method and paper type. It won’t hurt to ask around and consider it! πŸ˜‰ BUT, if I had to choose between the two of those, I would definitely go for the second one. πŸ™‚ Good luck!
Lauren @ Every Last Detail recently posted..Pink Rustic DIY Maryland Wedding

3 kirsten August 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I completely agree with this! That is the route I took and I saved a ton of money. My brother in law designed the invites for us and we had them printed on 123print.com. They looked as good as invitations from Etsy and only cost us $80 total! We did an online RSVP to save money on printing response cards and additional postage.

4 lynne @lgsmash August 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thirded! My brother’s girlfriend is just getting into designing wedding invites, decorations and knows calligraphy (!!!). I didn’t think I cared too much about my invites looked until I saw how beautiful her designs were. Do you know anyone who’s into graphic design? Just getting started? I’d definitely suggest my girl – http://www.jennablazevich.com Works really well remotely, too. She’s in Chicago, I’m in Denver and we had several Skype ‘meetings’ to talk through her ideas and suggestions.
lynne @lgsmash recently posted..Wedding: What Are Your Wedding Reception Song Suggestions?

5 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I DIYed ours and had a blast with them! They did take a lot of time, but we got such positive feedback about them that I’d do it again in a heartbeat and have volunteered to do them for my sis / BF when they eventually get married πŸ™‚

I’ll go see if I can dig up some pics…

Otherwise, the etsy route is probably a good one – personalization + time saving πŸ˜€
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..$8 on the 8th…at 0800.

6 Cris of Kiss My Tulle August 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Have you considered Vistaprint? I semi-DIYed my wedding invitation suite through them (designed half and uploaded for printing and used their designs for the others). Nice quality + good prices (even better if you look for an online coupon code or score a LivingSocial/Groupon deal). Here’s a few I found that might work for you:

hope that helps!
Cris of Kiss My Tulle recently posted..Partnered Post: Rose Red Bridal Veils and Accessories

7 Jessie August 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I used a website called Vistaprint. We are going super low budget for ours and with a groupon I was able to get them at a great price.

8 Eliana August 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

It definitely took me a long time to decide on the invitations. My fiance and parents kept telling me that it is not that important cause most people end up not paying attention to the invitations but i felt like i wanted them to make a statement LOL We ended up ordering from weddingpaperdivas. We are having a beach wedding so this is what we got. Good luck with yours!

9 Jennifer August 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

The snowflake one is super cute! The snowflakes seem to fit in great with your wedding site! The other one is a bit busy.. I guess a lot of it depends on your personality, too! πŸ™‚

10 Chelsea August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I had a vision of what I wanted my invites to look like in my head (vineyard but not too, too rustic) so I took that idea to an Etsy designer (http://www.etsy.com/shop/swooncreative?ref=ss_profile) who made my vision a reality. For $55, she designed custom invitations, response cards and an enclosure card that outlined the rest of the weekend events. (She has pre-designed suites for even less.)

I uploaded her file on to a site called catprint.com and they printed 120 copies of each piece for me for $135. The printing is outstanding on very high-quality nice paper. You could choose a paper that’s not quite as thick for even less.

I have received so, so many compliments on the invitations and they look much more expensive than they actually were! Let me know if you want more info on either vendor. My experience with both was so wonderful that I just had to share!

11 Chelsea August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’m another VistaPrint bride. I love the trendier look in your second example, but wanted it to be a little modern-meets-rustic, so I made them up on PhotoShop and then uploaded and printed through VistaPrint. I’ve been super happy with them, but I do have to admit, as I get super-fancy ones from friends, I do wish we’d had the money or energy to look in to letterpress or bellybands or whatnot.

12 Amanda August 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I felt the same way that you did – especially once I started seeing how much invitations could cost! We ordered ours from weddingpaperdivas.com and I love them! We cut some costs by only getting the actual invitation and RSVP card (we’re printing our own insert with directions/accomodation info/website url) and we’re addressing them ourselves (this weekend – ahh!) I believe we were also able to get 20% off with a AAA discount!

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I like the look of the 2nd one, but even for my 24 year old eyes it was hard to read and follow. A friend of mine is getting married in december, and she just sent out some cute save the dates with their wedding website. She isn’t sending formal invites and you RSVP on the website. I realize this might not work for you since you said some family members don’t have computer, but I know it saved her a lot of money and made collecting RSVPs much easier!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Last Week of Work!

14 Lyta August 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm

hmm, now i had to go search on rustic snowflake wedding invitations.

What about something like this?

15 Meghann August 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I like those! Thanks for sharing!

16 Emily August 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi! I don’t normally comment, but I thought I’d put my two cents in. I ordered square 6×6 invitations from Wedding Paper Divas. I love my invitations and I wouldn’t change them now, but the postage for square cards is a LOT more than for rectangular ones, for some reason. Especially larger cards like my 6×6. Considering you don’t want to spend too much on this part of your wedding, that’s something to take into consideration! Good luck πŸ™‚

17 Erin August 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I second the square invite – you’ll need a lot more postage (which can be a significant cost if you have 150 invites to mail).

18 Robyn August 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

HI! I posted before about my amazing videographer that I had for my March Wedding here in Jacksonville– we loved them as well as our photographers. I know both travel! I was really budget savy and did a lot of the wedding details myself- I did the centerpieces myself and we did the seating chart ourselves with old concert ticket stubs hung from branches. I really really LOVED how our invitations came together- they required assembly on my part, and a paper cutter, but really a friend of mine did the rest. She is a designer who I work with who is super talented and flexible and can do ANYTHING you show her on a really tight budget. Ours were seriously gorgeous and included a custom monogram and ribbon closure. I can send you her info if you want it.

19 Laura August 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I bought them through vista print using a groupon I purchased. I chose the upgraded paper option and they were beautiful-they were definitely middle of the road quality-not letter press, but not cheapy feeling at all. They had a tree with a heart carved into the tree with our initials. We got 100 invitations with response cards for under $100 including the Groupon In purchased. Can’t beat that and way easier than trying to print ourselves!!

20 Leslie August 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I went to vistaprint and made our invitations. Got everything for under $200 and got to play with the design and format of the invite! Hope you find something that works!

21 Leslie August 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm
22 Jamie August 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I found an etsy seller who was willing to customize our invites and then give me the .pdf files instead of printing them. With a Groupon to Vistaprint, they ended up being super affordable, exactly what I wanted and I was very happy with the quality! Good luck πŸ™‚

23 Margo August 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’m with you that invitations isn’t a huge priority. I mean ultimately, most people are going to throw it out. I was recently invited to a wedding where the invitation was a book. Literally a silk covered book with a jewel on it. Postage alone was over $4. They gorgeous, but when the wedding was over, it went in the trash. Seems like such a waste to me.
Margo recently posted..Half Marathon Clinic

24 Army Amy* August 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I cared zero percent about invites, so I saved the money and brain space by purchasing mine at Target. Easy peasy!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Move: Geronimo

25 Stacey August 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Two other online sources to check if you haven’t already done so: My Gatsby and Jean M. We went the Jean M route and were REALLY pleased with the final product. I thought I would have to assemble them but was pleasantly surprised when they showed up wrapped in tissue paper, ready to go. We also had our programs done by them so that everything would match. Good luck and have fun!

26 Elisabeth August 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I love the poster style invitation!

27 Katie August 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I love the idea of mixing the snowflakes and the poster style. That will look really unique (in a good way).

I’m not sure what your budget is, but I would love to design them for you. Generally, I just work with businesses- business cards, flyers, web design- but this looks like it would be a really great project.

I’ve been reading your blog for a long time… Yours, actually, were the first blog I ever read and you inspired me to start my own πŸ™‚ I would definitely give you a discount on my standard rates. Feel free to email me if you want to chat about it.
Katie recently posted..Maybe the best present ever…

28 Jody August 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I ordered mine on Etsy from Izzy and the Bean and LOVED them! Ashley customized everything for us and we did post card RSVPs to save on postage and paper. They were more reasonably priced than the other big named web sites and more flexible with style, colors, etc.

29 Maddie August 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm

We went the DIY route and LOVED IT. It was so inexpensive too. We bought cards and stock card (for RSVP postcards) from Michael’s and used brown paper bags (we have a millions thanks to a Trader Joe’s habit) and construction paper to pull it all together. We had a lot of fun spending out nights doing crafts and SO many people were willing to help! I spent a night at my gramma’s and we just chatted and cut out paper hearts for hours. It was a surprisingly relaxing activity in the whole process, and it saved us some serious dough. I think we only paid $48 for everything (not including postage or rubber cement lol).
Maddie recently posted..June is Busting Out All Over

30 Becca August 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I got mine from Zazzle. They were low-priced, easy, and looked nice. Check it out, b/c they have a bunch of snowflake ones that might fit your bill, and they have coupons/deals. We had to choose “non-matching” rsvp cards, but we didn’t care at all. πŸ™‚

31 Leah August 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

We got our invitation set from Target and printed them ourselves. While they came out just fine, I really wish I had gone the VistaPrint/Wedding Paper Divas/ Etsy/ My Gatsby route to save us the frustration of printing, cutting, and sticking.

My biggest piece of advice is to make sure they won’t require extra postage to mail– all the pretty square ones wind up costing extra, which was a big bummer for me. I wanted to do RSVP postcards, but couldn’t work it out easily enough. My husband was amazed that we had to pay return postage… he actually said “true commitment begins when you buy your own stamps!”
Leah recently posted..Let’s TRI an update, shall we?

32 Kim August 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I like the poster style because you can frame it and hang it in your home later. We used Wedding Paper Divas (gotta love the coupon codes) for save-the-dates and invites, and the only regret was doing an online RSVP through our wedding website. Like you, we have a bunch of country family that don’t own computers, so we only heard back from about half of the folks who we mailed invitations to.

Our friends who got married a few months after us made it INCREDIBLY EASY to RSVP – they included a pre-stamped envelope addressed back to them, with two tiny pieces of paper with a line for your names and either a big white paint-stamped “YES” or “NO” on it – easy peasy, cute & to the point (and very easy for her to sort out later since they had 300+ guests attend). I think the bride bought two stamps at Hobby Lobby and did those herself, the paper they used for the response cards was actually cut-up paper shopping bags from Publix (GENIUS! because who cares how fancy the response card is!). Best invite idea ever πŸ™‚

33 Caitlin August 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Here’s an idea, if no one else has commented on this yet (sorry, didn’t read the comments yet): if you are semi-crafty with Photoshop, or know someone who is, you could develop an invite through Photoshop and then upload it to a photoprinting place (we did Costco) that can print your invites out like a photo card. My aunt designed my invites with one of our engagement pictures on it, then we uploaded the image to Costco and ordered over 250 invites, all within an hour or two. I think it cost around $120 at the most, and they had everything I look for in an invite: a picture of the couple, date and time!

34 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 8, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I think saving money on the invitations is a great idea — they just get thrown out anyway!

I went the print-your-own route, and thought it was great! I bought invitation packages from Michaels and did all the printing/stuffing/addressing in one evening, with a little help from my mom & sister. It really wasn’t bad!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Ode To: Jillian Michaels

35 Rachel Wilkerson August 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

So, I happen to really love paper, calligraphy, letterpress, and good graphic design, so I LOVE fabulous invites. I can totally admit they are a waste of money and I’m not sure if I’ll actually splurge on them when the time comes, but as far as wedding things go, that’s one of the kinda pointless things I can TOTALLY get into. However, someone recently gave me a great idea: splurge on amazing paper invites for the people who 1. care or 2. don’t use e-mail, and then go with a digital version of it via an evite site for the friends/family members who don’t really need/expect anything fancy. I’m not sure if we’ll actually do this, but I loved the idea!

Anyway, I’d recommend checking out minted.com for another affordable option…I love their invites! Beautiful, modern, and not crazy expensive!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{getting it} The 27th Year

36 Tracey August 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

When I read your post, I felt like it was me saying the same thing! I don’t care about invitations either – forget my fiance – I would actually love to just send out an evite! Haven’t decided anything yet but battling between doing the invites myself or getting someone else to do it. Some good suggestions in the comments – will look into it! Good luck with finding the perfect invitation!

37 Suz August 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Love the snowflake idea, so fitting with your winter wedding! Have you thought about using a doily somehow? Kind of looks like a snowflake, is a bit more casual and super cute! Would just need to figure out if someone can print on them, or calligraphy?

38 kaitlin August 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

2 of my best friends both did wedding paper divas for their invitations! they’re such phenomenal quality. here are pictures!

kaitlin recently posted.."focus on the journey not the destination. joy is found not in bushing an activity but in doing it."

39 Christine @ BookishlyB August 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I used My Gatsby- they were kinda expensive but I loved having control of every single thing. I’ve been married for almost 4 years, though, so a bit before the Etsy craze.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- The Male Version of Me is an Ass

40 erin August 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm

get peanutbutterjenny to design you one! hahah πŸ™‚

41 melissa (fitnessnyc) August 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

love the poster style card. I’ve been to 10 weddings in 14 months, and I haven’t received anything like it, so it’s definitely newly trendy! Super cute.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Marbella

42 MissPinkkate August 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

We ordered cheap invites through Costco.com- they were pretty and they were cheap and that was good enough for me!

43 Jess M. August 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Long-time reader, first-time commenter here (love your blog!)…I’m getting married in November and, much like you, invitations were pretty low on our priority list. However, as low-priority as the invitations were, they were one of the things I was stressing over the most with wedding planning because of the high costs associated with wedding invitations. I ended up using Minted.com for our invitations and RSVP cards, and I cannot say enough about how great my experience working with them was. They have a ton of invitation options in many different styles, and they are all entirely customizable. Plus, all envelopes are included (which I found wasn’t the case with every retailer I considered), and they are customizable as well, if desired. I found the prices to be incredibly reasonable for the number of invitations and cards I needed – I spent less than $600 for 150 of each plus envelopes. Definitely check them out – at the very least you may be inspired by what you see there should you decide to go the DIY/semi-DIY route. Below is just one example of the many Winter options they offer.

Good luck with your search!

44 Alli C August 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I found invites that I loved and re-created them on mixbook.com…. VERY easy! I ordered just 1 of each (invite, rsvp, thank yous) just to see how they looked–amazing! And a great deal! I was able to design all of them in one night, too. Highly recommend so far!

45 Kimberly August 8, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I just received my invitations. I wanted something nice, but could really care less about them ( I kept trying to think of something practical that the receiver could use again but I gave up). I designed invitations and response cards on vistaprint (using a 50% off promo code from retailmenot.com) and ordered pocketfolds and envelopes for less than $1 a piece from http://www.envelopemall.com. With postage (including return postage) my 30 invitations cost less than $125 with minimal assembly on my part. Good luck!

46 Em August 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

I purchased ours for super cheap on vistaprint.com. You can usually get them at a discount if you go to the website via retailmenot.com. There are also often groupon deals for vistaprint but you can’t always use those deals with other discounts.

47 Kate August 9, 2012 at 11:18 am

We bought the paper from Papersource and did all of the designing and printing at home. All of their card stock is priced well and comes in standard sizes so it was pretty impossible to mess anything up. It was a fun project that didnt take up too much time. I did spend an entire afternoon hand embossing our reply cards, but it was a fantastic touch for the price of a rubber stamp and some $6 embossing powder!

48 Katrina August 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Now that I’ve been married 10 years, here is what matters after all that time: pictures/video and dress. We were on our own and FLAT ASS BROKE. We did an afternoon wedding so that we could do light food for the reception. We had very simple invitations and have 1 framed as a gift. I clearly remember the music we used but could not tell you one thing on the food table except some meat/cheese/fruit trays. In fact, that and the cake may have been it. I’m sure those nasty pastel mints were somewhere. When our families and friends talk about the wedding, they talk about the things that happened, the actual event, not the stuff. We had ours in the middle of hurricane and both of our families are hilarious so we still talk about the conversations, expressions, him crying, me kicking something and almost breaking a toe in my Isotoner ballet slippers (which was the best decision I ever made), and just the stuff that happened. I watch the wedding shows and see all the cool things and if we had the money, it would have been great. But honestly, I’m glad we spent money on the stuff that lasts. Pictures/video and my dress that I try on each year just to giggle and see that same expression on his face he had 10 years ago. πŸ™‚

49 val August 9, 2012 at 11:34 am

i use vistaprint.com for baby shower/bridal shower invites. you can find codes all over the internet for half-off. they aren’t the trendiest, but they have some really cute and cheap styles. just make sure to purchase the heaviest cardstock if you do go with them.
val recently posted..CSA #8 2012

50 Jessica August 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m working on opening up an etsy shop offering DIY printable invites. I’ll probably have a few items listed with-in the next week. I’m taking suggestions too πŸ˜‰

51 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I like your way of thinking. I don’t think most people are going to think too much about the invitation. Food & venue would definitely be my area to splurge.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Thursday Things “Playlist for the Gym”

52 Jill August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Both are cool. Another thing to consider is the weight and size of the invite. My invites are beautiful and pretty cheap. But they were square and a little weighty, so they cost almost $2.00 to mail each one out. Just a thought…

Jill

53 caitie August 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Not sure if this has been suggested but weddingchicks.com has premade designs that you can customize to your info and colors, then you just save your version of it and can take it anywhere to get printed. that way you end up paying for paper and printing but dont have to pay for the design! i loooove the designs too!

54 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I spent a lot of money on invitations in my opinion, while it might seem like not too much for others. I think total (with thank you cards, postage, etc.) everything came out to about $300-$400. I LOVED my invitations though, and I spent like 3 hours picking them out. They were perfect.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..checking in

55 Heather August 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Etsy! I got exactly what I wanted. Find someone who has sold a couple different things you like & ask if they can make something combining the two. They will send you a sample.

56 Sarah September 4, 2012 at 7:07 pm

my wedding invitation was JUST like the poster style one! I got it on Etsy too! i vote the second one πŸ™‚

57 Charliss September 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

Okay, so this post is way old, but I’m so happy with how ours turned out I wanted to share! We got ours through Vistaprint, but, like you, it seems, we didn’t want a super polished/formal invitation. So we designed the text and left giant spaces for us to rubber stamp in lemons and limes (our theme) by hand. They turned out GREAT. My mom made us the stamps, but before she offered we had our eye on some on Etsy. We had ~120 sets of invitations to stamp and it took maybe 2 evenings? Really not a big deal.

Through Vistaprint we got 150 flat invitations on the upgraded paper + 150 rsvp cards + 150 hotel cards (with envelopes), 200 return address labels (SO handy…but we only got them because they were practically free), and some other fun freebies for $100. I was ecstatic. Look around for coupons and you can mix and match for a great deal.