More Than What You See

by Meghann on August 8, 2012

Here’s a secret…I don’t blog about every single thing I eat.

I’ve blogged about this fact before, but I thought it needed a refresher. What you see is probably 80-90% of my food on any given day, sometimes less. You usually get the gist of my main meals and snacks, but there are things missing in between.

For instance:

• I nibble while I cook.

I’m a horrible nibbler. I have a bad habit of starting to cook while I’m hungry and usually take bites of everything to take the edge off before it’s done. I also taste test along the way to get an idea of how everything is coming along. Sometimes I’m so full from nibbling (little bites add up quickly!) that I’m not that hungry when it actually comes time to eat. Hence, why my portion sizes are on the small size sometimes.

• I eat in front of the fridge

Today was a perfect example of this. I was standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what to make for lunch when I grabbed the tupperware container of leftover rotisserie chicken. I mindlessly ate a few bites before putting the chicken back and grabbing for the eggs instead (I decided to save the chicken for dinner tonight). I usually like to keep grapes in the fridge to give myself something to munch, but I’ll also grab berries, bites of cheese, and even slices of turkey.

• I have a little something before every workout

Usually I’m out the door by 6:30am on any given weekday for a run, swim, or on my way to the gym. I’m not one of those people who can do any of those things on an empty stomach, so I usually have 1/2 a granola bar, a handful of cereal, or something, anything, to give me a boost of energy.

So, there you have it. Not everything that I eat finds its way on this blog. If it did, I might go a little crazy trying to capture it all. :)

Today’s lunch.

After I decided to put the chicken away for dinner, I grabbed two eggs and made open faced eggs and toast with some of the multigrain baguette (also nibbled on while I was cutting it).

With cheese (I had an extra piece while slicing it), carrot sticks, and hummus.

Not a true picture of every little thing I ate, but a gist of the final meal. ;)

New Wedding Post is up! We’re discussing budget-friendly invitations.

Did you hear about the baby that was born in a Whole Foods in Rockville? True story! Read about it yourself HERE.

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

lol this is one reason I opted to not blog everything I eat (other than I only blog once a day) but it’s so hard to get pictures of everything! Haha even WIAW are tough for me!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Last Week of Work!

2 Annette @FitnessPerks August 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I think I’d go crazy if I had to take pictures of everything I eat too! I eat a few meals/snacks per day, so that’d be tough. I don’t eat while cooking though–usually because I had a snack 1-2 hrs beforehand.

I like planning out meals/snacks, because then there is less nibbling and more mindful eating.

Your plate of food looks tasty!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Inside A Binge Eater’s Head

3 Kathleen @ Fittitudefreedom August 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I can’t imagine why anyone would ever think that you document every meal and would hope a sensible person knows enough to tailor their intake accordingly That would be intense if someone could pull that off and talk about every morsel consumed. I would be at the computer blogging every hour with what I ate so I don’t put the food stuff out there. You certainly give some great ideas on how to make fast and easy to prepare meals and I enjoy reading about them. Thanks for sharing your secret anyways.

4 Rae August 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I agree, Kathleen! It’s crazy to think that someone would want to tailor their daily eats off of what they see on the Internets…Meghann, what you eat is your business. After all, its a healthy living blog, not a food blog, yes?
Rae recently posted..Summer…squashed

5 Cait @ Cait Strides August 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m a nibbler too. It’s so bad, but when I’m hungry, I’m HUNGRY and can’t wait!

That’s crazy about the baby born in Whole Foods. That’s actually really close to where I live, I’m surprised I didn’t hear anything about it…
Cait @ Cait Strides recently posted..What’s In Your Wallet?

6 anniea85 August 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’ve never commented before, but I LIVE in Rockville and never heard about the WF baby…craziness!

7 Mary August 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

It seems that you have to spend a lot of time defending your food intake…perhaps it would be helpful for you to post a full day of eats including calorie counts? I know you mentioned in the past that you would post about your plate sizes, but it seems that hard and fast numbers would prove your point better.

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

That’s why I only blog breakfast, lunch and dinner most days – there’s no way I could photograph everything I eat!

I’ve definitely got the nibbler problem…pretty much anytime I post a picture of a meal on the blog, assume that either baby carrots, a handful of berries/grapes, or a few bites of whatever I’m photographing went in my mouth beforehand. I actually get frustrated with myself sometimes because I’ll spoil my dinner appetite while I’m cooking it!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Awkward Gym Noises.

9 Regina August 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Holy Moly!! That’s an insane story. Especially since we live 15 minutes from there and I’m 38 weeks pregnant…
Regina recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Pudding

10 Meagan August 8, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I’m totally guilty of eating while standing in front of the refrigerator. If I’m not sure what I’m in the mood for, I just nibble on stuff until I figure it out!
Meagan recently posted..why i was afraid to try crossfit & why i’m glad that i finally did

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City August 8, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I am a HORRIBLE nibbler. I try to keep it light by having veggies and hummus while I cook but sometimes that plus taste testing totally ruins my dinner. I usually then just serve myself a smaller portion and look forward to leftovers!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Goofy Race and a Half Marathon Plan

12 Amanda August 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I definitely didn’t take a picture of the half Twix bar I had today…can’t win ‘em all!
Amanda recently posted..Photo class and a new jacket

13 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I’ve tried to take a picture of everything I ate before and it’s not easy. I never really thought food bloggers documented every single thing. You’re human too! :)
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..From the Archives: My First Time in Aerial Yoga

14 Fridick August 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Isn’t the whole point of your blog to be a representation of how you eat and exercise? Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and showing people how you do it? I don’t understand how you can support the image you claim and then say that you don’t actually show everything.
I’m not trying to attack you here, merely trying to point out a logical fallacy. You brand yourself as showing people how you eat and exercise to maintain your weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, but then… you don’t actually do that, and fully admit to not doing that. It’s very disingenuous, especially when people try to emulate your eating habits in the hopes of attaining a fit and healthy lifestyle.

15 Meghann August 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Not exactly. Yes, part of it is showing what I eat and how I exercise to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but that’s not all of it and I think I’ve been up front with that. This blog shows the meals I eat to give others ideas on how to throw together simple meals using what you have on hand. It also shows that it’s ok to not be perfect and still live a healthy lifestyle. I go through phases where I’m unmotivated, and that’s ok. I go through phases where I work hard and I accomplish a goal. I keep it balanced and still find time to come home after swim practice after 8:00pm and throw together something healthy and delicious to eat without resorting to fast food. This blog is a little bit of everything.

16 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Im terrible about snacking while I cook. I finally combated that by pouring a glass of water, diet soda or, diet snapple to occupy me while I cooked. :) It happens though.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Florida Adventure

17 Lindsay August 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

Honestly, I would appreciate it more if you continued to decrease the amount of posts you have about your daily eating habits. I don’t need to see a picture of the nectarine you snacked on after lunch. And honestly, your meals are…not for me. They seem to work great for you, and more power to you for being unique, but I’m not reading your blog to get food or eating advice from you.

18 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 9, 2012 at 11:39 am

I always snack while I’m prepping a meal or trying to decide what to eat! I’ve never tried blogging about my daily eats–I’m pretty sure I would be shocked to find out exactly what and how much I eat throughout the day!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

19 Emily N August 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

It makes me grateful that I have never taken pictures of my food (other than the particularly interesting meals or vitamix creations!)
Emily N recently posted..Fall Beers & Threshold Run

20 CindyD. August 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

Meghann – I just wanted to chime in to support YOUR blog…about YOUR life.

Honestly people, if you don’t like what she’s writing/showing/documenting, why are you here? I’ve been reading since before it became Meals and Miles and the format hasn’t changed; about 3 posts a day, including some food she ate, some running/workout/race info, cute Maddie pics and her life.

Get a grip folks.