Back to Short Course

by Meghann on August 8, 2012

School starts back up in two weeks. Do you know what the means? High school swim season is here.

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 9.32.33 PM.png

When I pulled in the pool parking lot this afternoon, I had a hard time finding a spot. The usually empty lot was bursting with cars and I discovered why as soon as I walked inside. High school swimmers (at least 50 of them!) had taken over the pool.

They weren’t there long (maybe 15 minutes after I was), but I couldn’t believe how many of them there were. All lanes were filled with at least 4 or 5 swimmers per lane and the coach was shouting out drills left and right. It was actually a little fun to watch. When they all got out, they did some sort of freshmen chant that, I’m assuming, welcomed them to the pool.

Because of the high school team taking over the pool, our usual 6:00pm practice start time was pushed back to 6:30pm. This was a fact I had forgotten about, which is why I was at the pool early. Also, because of the high school team, they will no longer be changing the pool to long course in the afternoon. Boo. I really, really came to enjoy the long course, the short course is, well, short. I’m not a fan of having so many flip turns, and I lost count of how many laps I was supposed to be doing during our 400 warm-up. There’s less laps to count in the long course, which works much better for me.

Oh, well. Not much I can do about that.

Even with the short course, practice was fun. Yes, coach was still getting on to me about rotating my right side or picking up my left arm (though he did tell me I was doing better!), we also mixed it up a bit. There were 50s on1:00, 25s on 0:40, kick board, glide practicing, and even our first IMs.

Here’s something I never thought I’d say – I enjoy the butterfly stroke. I know – shocker! – who enjoys the butterfly stroke?! We did some 100 IMs and butterfly laps today, and something just clicks for me with the butterfly. I’m not saying I’m great at it, but I like that I can keep up with – and sometimes even pass! – my teammates (they whoop my butt every other time). I love having both hands to push myself out of the water and basically using my whole body to move forward. I know I’ll never use the butterfly stroke in a triathlon setting, but it does work different muscles that helps make me a stronger, well-rounded swimmer. Plus, butterflies are just fun, plain and simple.

What’s your favorite swim stroke? Freestyle seems to be everyone’s default, but I know it can’t be everyone’s favorite. ;)

Before practice I had a bag of popcorn with peanuts.

I also had some of the raspberry Powerbar chewy thingys that Felipe brought. I’m usually not a fan of the Powerbar chews (they’re really chewy and not great for running), but I enjoyed the raspberry flavor and found they weren’t as hard to chew when you’re just standing still and not at mile 6 of a 14 mile run.

Dinner involved the leftover rotisserie chicken from Sunday night (we really stretched that chicken out!) and some salsa.

Basically, I heated the leftover chicken on the stove with some frozen corn and added heaping spoonfuls of salsa to the mix. The chicken was then served over a bed of spinach with shredded carrots, cheese, guacamole, and a torn tortilla.

The combination of the hot chicken, salsa, and cheese was delicious. I liked that it was super easy to execute and still came out amazing. :)

Chocolate for dessert.

Practice wore me out. I’m ready for bed.

Good Night!

1 Samantha Angela August 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Breaststroke, for sure. My breaststroke is relatively fast, and I hate freestyle.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Olympic Weightlifting Routine

2 Laura August 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Breaststroke is my favorite-I can keep my hair dry with that stroke if I don’t want to get it wet and it’s just so smooth

3 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air August 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I need to practice my swimming – doggy paddling won’t cut it if I want to try to tackle my first tri someday!!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..Book Review: “Shadow of Night”

4 Becky @ runfundone August 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm

What? You get to go to swim practice? What kind of swim practice? Are you on an adult swim team? This sounds very exciting!!!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Water Wings and Desperation

5 Meghann August 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

I swim with friends as part of a triathlon training group. It’s sort of our version of masters.

6 Laura August 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Breaststroke was always my favorite, although I was always told I had good form for fly.

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 9, 2012 at 12:07 am

Pretty much all I got is a doggy-paddle – so I’ll have to go with that. :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Bestie.

8 Laura B August 9, 2012 at 12:36 am

Love butterfly!! It kicks my butt these days during masters swim (and I used to swim a 1oo fly no prob in high school). It gets my heartrate sky high, which I love. I am definitely breathing hard after a 10o IM.

9 Miranda @ Biting Life August 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

I love the butterfly stroke! I know I’m better at freestyle, but I just love doing the butterfly. I really want to work up to being able to do it for longer amounts of time.
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Freezer Meatballs & Mexican Macaroni

10 Sierra August 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

Breaststroke for sure although it can really hurt your knees. And butterfly won’t be as fun after having to do 10 100s of it!!! :)

11 Jaime August 9, 2012 at 1:21 am

I was a backstroker in high school, and I miss those days! LOVE me some backstroke!

12 Amanda August 9, 2012 at 4:13 am

All I know is the freestyle. Gets me where I need to go!
Amanda recently posted..Photo class and a new jacket

13 Charlie (The Runner Beans) August 9, 2012 at 4:47 am

I love breaststroke, but I’m not sure I am any good at it anymore! On holiday I tend to do a lot of ‘head above water so that my hair doesnt get wet’ breaststroke! I want to get back in the pool!

14 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 9, 2012 at 6:49 am

Adding salsa and corn to anything and then tossing it on greens is pretty much a winning combo. Love that. :) As for swimming, Im pretty much a float around and move my arms a little kind of gal. I wouldnt know appropriate form if it slapped me in the face.. Although I think it would be a cool thing to learn.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Florida Adventure

15 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) August 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’m a pretty terrible swimmer, so for me, the doggy paddle is where it’s at. ;)
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Fiesta

16 Jennie August 9, 2012 at 8:32 am

Breaststroke! I have a horrible freestyle, so I’m breaststroking in my triathlon next week!

17 Meghann August 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

Just be careful – doing the breaststroke in a triathlon setting is very dangerous. I’ve been kicked by breastrokers before, as have my friends.

18 Jennie August 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

Don’t worry, I’m not an especially fast swimmer so I’m planning on hanging out in the back of the pack. And I’m terrified of getting hit by other people so I plan on being careful around everyone!

19 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

Backstroke was my fave when I was on the swim team as a kid :D
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..GIVEAWAY WINNER!

20 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 9, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hmmm I do like freestyle but I also like breast stroke when I want to relax a bit
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts & WINNER!

21 Elizabeth August 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I do not like freestyle at all. I love doing breast stroke!

22 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life August 9, 2012 at 9:22 am

Butterfly and back were always my favorite when I was on the swim team growing up. I have super broad shoulders, so butterfly just came naturally to me. Breast stroke however? I look like a dying frog in the water. Even after 10 years of swimming, I could never get the pattern and form down correctly! I loved doing IMs because I was decent in all the other strokes, but breast stroke was always the one that got me!

23 Laura August 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

I really enjoy butterfly, but I always place with backstroke. Have you mastered backstroke flip turns yet? They can be tricky.
Laura recently posted..First Serious 5k Race

24 Meghann August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

I have not. But I found it interesting that they don’t do backstroke flip turns in the Olympics.

25 Lindsay August 9, 2012 at 11:52 am

Actually, they do. They don’t do flip turns in breaststroke.

26 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine August 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

my favorite stroke is backstroke because you get to breathe the whole time! Although butterfly is really hard and energy-sucking, it is such a beautiful stroke to watch once you get the rhythm down. Congrats!
theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday 8/7/12

27 Emily N August 9, 2012 at 10:52 am

I am a dog paddle fan. :) (at least I can stay afloat!) Just kidding. Kind of. I like breaststroke for sure.
Emily N recently posted..Fall Beers & Threshold Run

28 AlisonJ August 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Another vote for the breaststroke!!!

29 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I actually prefer breaststroke to freestyle. I do feel like I’m getting a better workout with freestyle, but I can go a lot farther for a lot longer with breaststroke.

30 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Way to go with the swimming! Sounds like your hard work is paying off if your coach is complimenting you on your improvements. Keep it up! :)
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..New compression socks!

31 claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Most definitely the butterfly!
claire @ the realistic nutritionist recently posted..Low-fat Red Wine Chocolate Donut Recipe

32 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep August 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I swam backstroke and butterfly in high school. I still have really good form in both. I despise freestyle!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Day One of Medical Weight Loss

33 Axel August 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I used to prefer breast-stroke, and actually used to have long-distance races with a friend who would free-style. We’d alternate winning, never a decisive winner – Free-style is harder on the arms, etc. so he’d have to keep his pace slower, and also he wouldn’t swim straight, breast-stroke seemed more efficient at the time.

I’ve built up my freestyle for triathlon so I use that almost exclusively now, but in one event, I was side by side with a very muscular guy (big muscles mean sinking and no wetsuit!) who kept up with me doing the breaststroke the entire way. It was pretty impressive.
Axel recently posted..Map of Pain: My 5 Worst Injuries

34 Christine @ Love, Life, Surf August 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

Yes, my preferred stroke is freestyle but I do LOVE backstroke too. Breaststroke is fine and butterfly? Well, I can rock a one-arm butterfly drill but I look like I’m convulsing when I try to swim it normally :-)

I really need to get myself to Masters swim!
Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Back in the pool with swim intervals