I’ve Been Tired

by Meghann on August 7, 2012

I’ve been tired lately. Really tired.

(yes, even Maddie tired)

I’m usually an unstoppable ball of energy, but lately all I want to do is sleep. I’ve found myself pressing the snooze button more than usual and I’m out like a light as soon as I hit my pillow at night. Afternoons are the worst, if I don’t have some sort of caffeine fix, there’s a chance I’ll crash head first into my laptop (which has happened on occasion).

This past weekend I slept on the couch at Ashley and Bo’s apartment. The first night Bo came home late and Ashley left super early. They both made noise in the kitchen, about 10 feet away from my head. I didn’t hear a thing – I was out. The same thing happened on Saturday morning when Bo left super early, and that night when he returned home super late. Again, I slept hard through it all. Granted it had been a long weekend, but I still couldn’t believe I had slept through that much noise. Totally not normal for me.

I’m not working out any more than usual (in fact, I’ve cut back quite a bit in the last couple of months because of how tired I feel), there have been no major changes in my diet, and besides planning the Healthy Living Summit and wedding planning, there haven’t been huge issues with stress. I promise I’m not pregnant and am otherwise in a very happy place in my life. I’m just tired.

Having all my energy zapped out of me, has zapped out a lot of my motivation as well. I’m no longer quite as motivated to cook, train hard, blog, or even make the best eating choices. Instead I opt for convenience and tend to stick with the easiest choices when it comes to most things. Assisted meals from the freezer and skipping planned workouts have become the new norm. I keep waiting for that motivation to come back, but as long as I feel so tired all day, I don’t see that happening soon.

Right now I feel stuck and it’s driving me crazy – this isn’t me. Why am I so tired? What happened? I need to shake this feeling.

I have a family history with thyroid issues (sister is hypo, twin brother + mom = hyper). I usually have my blood tested every year and my last test back in December came back normal. I need to go back for a check-up and am hoping to do so after Healthy Living Summit is finished. Even if my thyroid comes back normal again, I would love to see what else it might be. (edited to add: my iron levels tested abnormally high back in December, as did my sister’s and my Dad’s. None of ours were high enough to cause concern, just something the doctor noted. So I think think it’s not an iron deficiency issue.)

Until then, I’m researching energizing foods to me going through the day. Maybe I’m just getting older? Maybe I’m more stressed than I realize? Who knows? But I know something is up, and I’m going to do what I can to fix it.

Any tips on how to get my energy back? (beside an IV of caffeine)

Lunch was the easy way out, but it was hard to pass up leftovers on a meal that was so good the night before.

Complete with a serving of Triscuits.

Derek doesn’t like the pepper and olive oil kind, but I don’t think they’re that bad. Actually, I’d say they’re pretty good. Full of flavor with a bit of a kick. Yum.

1 Ellen August 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I developed hypothyroidism after a few years of “eating less and exercising more.” My lab values are technically within range but I still have hypothyroidism, it’s all about finding the right doc. Check out this site: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

2 Ashley @ This Is The Place August 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Are they checking your T3/t4 levels or your TSH? Oddly, I just become well versed in this as I was diagnosed two days ago with “subclinical hypothyroidism” meaning that my TSH levels are off, but my actual output hormones (T3/T4) are ok. Basically, my doc says that we will watch it, but it’s likely that I have thyroiditis (an autoimmune problem, cause of 90% of hypothyroidism) and will develop full blown hypothyroidism eventually.

My suggestion would be to make sure you get your TSH tested as well as your TPO (antibodies, which show the autoimmune problem). Those are early indicators! And I’ve been tired too.

The other thing to look into is the connection between hypothyroidism and gluten intolerance. At a molecular level, gluten and your thyroid are the same, so if your body is sensitive to gluten (and your body attacks it), it may be attacking your thyroid as well. I am cutting out gluten to see if that staves off full blown hypothyroidism.

Hope you feel better soon! Get tested sooner rather that later!

3 Ashley @ This Is The Place August 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I meant gluten and your thyroid are molecularly similar, not the same.

And I ditto “stop the thyroid madness!” and the Chris Kessler website. Both have been really helpful to me in the last two days.

4 Ellen August 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Yep, I’ve been strictly GF for 2.5 years. I adore Chris Kresser. I have almost EVERY hypo symptom– to the point where it significantly impacts my life– yet my lab levels are “fine”. I’ve found a great doc who will prescribe amour based on symptoms though so I’m on the right track.

5 Reenie August 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

I agree….your doc needs to test all three…. TSH, T3 & T4.

One thing that has always concerned me about thyroid crap….ha!! is, how can the “normal” range be “normal” for everyone. We all have different body types, weight, height, etc.

Another good book is “The Thyroid Solution” by Dr. Ridha Arem.

6 Laura August 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

That’s exactly how I felt when I was hypo thyroid. For some reason my body corrected itself and I’ve been able to stay of the medication for 2 years. Over the last year however, I found I was re developing symptoms. When I went to get tested though, I was still normal. Please let us know what it is when you figure it out because I might have it too! If you get a chance, please check out my new blog, which was inspired partly by you! My latest post is about weight loss and I’d love for you to weigh in based on your own 30 pound weight loss experience. :) http://hellonheelshon.com

7 Katrina August 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Could you be anemic?

8 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

No, I’m complete opposite. My iron levels are high (so are my Dad’s and my sister’s). They’re not high enough to require any special treatment, but high enough to be considered abnormal.

9 Ellen August 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

That’s called hereditary hemochromatosis, and 1 in every 200 or 300 people have it in the US. Definitely don’t take iron supplements if you have this genetic abnormality!

10 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m not. I was actually told not to take the women’s multivitamin because it has iron that I don’t need. Instead I take a regular multivitamin and a separate calcium supplement.

11 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Ignore my comment below then, haha :D

12 lynne @lgsmash August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm

FYI – Your post says: So I think think it’s an iron deficiency issue.

13 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thank you. Just corrected that.

14 The Many Thoughts of a Reader August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Those are my favorite kind of triscuits. And I would also look into being anemic.

15 j August 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

sorry if this repeats, i couldn’t get it to work -

random question: do you pay for your swimming coaching? just asking because i’d like to do something like it, but wasn’t sure how much/how it worked. Thanks!

16 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I don’t. We’re kind of just a group of friends that swim together, and Felipe acts as our coach. :)

17 chatelaine August 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

if after you Dr. apt you find out you don’t have any health issues I highly recommend adopting some of the raw food prinicipales. I just started 2 weeks ago and my energy has greatly improved. a friend gave me her copy of the raw food detox diet and i’m a level 3. i basically eat fruit until lunch and some nights have something cooked with dinner. you are already about 80% of the way there based on the food you post on your blog so adapting a new way of eating won’t be difficult. but basically good quality food in and your body won’t waste energy digesting harder foods…… i know it sounds out there, but give it a shot! i did and i’m hooked :) (the raw food detox diet is by natalia rose). good luck!

18 Stepf August 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Eat more protein. I had the same issues last year (and I’m vegan). I integrated a daily protein shake into my diet at the suggestion of the dietitian I work with. It helped. I also drink protein shakes after every hard workout, no exception. That’s a tricky one for me to remember, but it makes a huge difference.
Since you’re not limited by dietary restrictions, you might want to eat more meat. (I can’t believe I’m suggesting that!) Your meals look somewhat carb heavy. Good luck!

19 Renee August 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I have also heard that a B12 deficiency can cause fatigue, especially in the afternoons.

20 Liz August 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I take a b-12 supplement daily and when I don’t, I definitely feel the difference!

21 Lindsay August 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

One of my coworkers was having the same problem, and the doctor put her on weekly B-12 shots. She said women often experience a b-12 deficiency as their harmones change.

22 Sarah August 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Are you taking a good multivitamin? You might just need a little natural pick-me-up! :)

Sarah

23 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I do. I take one everyday, as well as a fish oil and calcium supplement.

24 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I know exactly what you mean, I’ve been dealing with similar issues over the past year. My thyroid was fine but I did find out I’m iron deficient anemic. I’ve been working on eating more in general, especially focused on healthy fats and iron-rich foods, and that’s helped me out a lot. My afternoon slump has almost disappeared, although I’m still exhausted by about 5pm and completely useless. Once my internship is over I’m also going to see if working out later in the day (aka not at 5:15am) will help too.

25 Christina S August 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I just went to the dr. recently with the same tired and fatigue issue. I thought it might be a thyroid issue as well since it runs in my family. Turns out I was just had a vitamin D and B12 deficiency. The doc told me a B12 supplement should jumpstart my energy and metabolism. Here’s hoping! Yours may be something along the same lines.

26 Annette @FitnessPerks August 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your being tired!

Possible reasons:
-too much sugar
-too little protein and/or healthy fat
-anemia
-thyroid issues
-hormonal changes
-not getting enough of certain vitamins (b12 is a big one)

Hope your tests come back with answers!

27 Kath August 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

What I was going to say : ) Iron being a big one.

28 Hillary August 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Agreed. Protein could be key. I’d also look into your vitamin D count—I was abnormally low on vitamin D a few years back and was EXHAUSTED. I take a supplement now and it makes a world of difference.

29 Liz August 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I also was super low on Vitamin D levels – taking a high dose supplement really helped!

30 Nina August 8, 2012 at 4:32 am

Perhaps absorption could be an issue, but if you’re working our regularly in Florida your vitamin d levels ought to be peachy haha

31 Dana August 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I have hypothyroidism and getting on meds made all my symptoms better – including ridiculous fatigue.
My sister also has bouts of anemia which make her really tired.
Try cooking in a cast iron pan for more iron, and I’ve heard that seaweed has compounds in it that help with thyroid function. Trader Joe’s has delicious dried seaweed snacks.

32 Kate August 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? I felt the exact same way and mentioned it to my dr. She tested my thyroid and for anemia and all the usual suspects. It was my vitamin D level that was a bit low. I’ve been taking a daily supplement since then and have not experienced the same exhaustion. I remember sitting at my desk every day so bewildered about how I could be so, so tired. And this totally turned it around. Def check with your dr, but the supplement may be a quick fix in the meantime??

33 kat August 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Your eating to many carbs/sugar, so you crash all day long.
You really need to focus on lean protein, and sub your candy bomb desserts with a protein shake – or skip them.

34 colleen August 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m in the same boat in the afternoons. Last year I had blood work done and I was low in Vit. D. What?! So I was taking a daily dose, but I’m out and haven’t thought about buying more, but maybe that is why I want to curl into my bed in the afternoons.

35 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’ve had to increase my iron lately. I have been having the same problem of feeling super lethargic! I blame it a bit on the summer heat, but the addition of the multi vitamin and iron have made a difference for me!

36 Elisabeth August 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I’ll second the suggestion to have your vitamin D level checked. It should be above 30 – I checked mine (I run lab tests for a living ;) ) & it was only 8. Taking 5000mg a day has helped a lot!

37 Brie August 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm

You’re probably pregnant! :P

38 Mollly August 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

As I was reading this I thought…that is how I felt in my first trimester…

39 Carolyn August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Girl… all this travel… believe me… that sucks the life out of you. I had back to back cross country trips (before pregnancy) that kicked my ass (like felipe and the snorkel).

Plus this heat isn’t very motivating.

Get some rest!

40 Kristin August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I also say have your Vit D level checked – that is exactly how I feel when my D levels get low. I take an additional 3000i.u.’ s along with my daily mutltivitamin & usually feel pretty good. I’ve heard you want to take it seperate from your multivitamin that has an iron supplement in it, not sure why but that’s just what I do. Out here in Seattle it’s important to really keep it up as we don’t get a lot of natural exposure :)

41 Stephanie August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hey Girl
I am a social worker and healthy nutty girl like you. I don’t know much about iron or thyroids but I do know about stress relief.
Can I suggest a vacation? You do travel a lot…but really putting the work away-no email or internet-not blogging for 2 days- napping- meditating-get a massage-connect to the metaphysical things in life that give you energy. For me that it is sitting by the water and doing breathing exercises & spending hours in the kitchen getting lost in my creation without pleasing anyone but myself and not worrying about what time it is. :) Just a thought

Just a thought-sometimes by turning everything off we are able to recharge our internal batteries better.

42 Emily August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m going to echo a lot of people’s request – - get your Vitamin D levels checked!! I had absolutely no idea that I was dangerously low in D until I asked my physician to check. I started supplementing, and while I”m still not at normal levels, I feel like a totally different person.

I did a quick post about it here http://www.fitandfreeemily.com/2012/03/health-update-send-vitamin-d/

Most people (women especially) are low!

43 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I don’t have any new suggestions beyond what’s already been said, so instead I’ll just wish you the best in figuring out what’s up. I know how frustrating it can be, and how helpless you can feel when trying to determine what is causing a problem.

Maybe you just need a little break, and a lot of rest :)

44 Mallory August 7, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I can’t help but notice you eat a LOT of carbs. Probably way, way WAY more than you need to (in all fairness, we all probably eat more carbs than we need to). Why don’t you try eating more protein and fats and less carbs for a week or two, and see how you feel? Just my 2 cents :-)

45 Mstampa August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I’ve been hypothyroid for 15 years or so. I may feel tired even when the TSH blood work comes back normal. So my doctor treats me on how I feel, even if the tests show pretty normal. I prefer to have my TSH results to be on the lower side heading towards hyper. That way I feel better.

46 Jody August 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I have a family history of thyroid problems too. When I first went for blood work, everything cam back normal. But I still felt exhausted so I stuck with my gut instinct and went back. After they ran more extensive blood work, they had answers for me.

So my advice would be listen to your body! Hopefully its just something that a diet or vitamin change can fix. If not, go back and try to get more tests and answers just to be sure. I also agree with the other commenter that you could probably use at least one REAL vacation day a month maybe? Like no blogging, internet, e-mail kind of stuff….

47 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut August 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh I feel for ya! I hate that tired, stuck nothing-excites-me-feeling. The good news is, it eventually goes away. I do think your body is trying to tell you something, and you might be more stressed than you realize. Eating well and exercising will only help shake this feeling, but maybe if you go about it in a different way, you will be able to transition back into your old habits (or create new ones!) You could start setting a plan each week—an easy one—with goals on when you are going to cook and exercise. Make it easy, healthy, tasty meals and lighter workouts that you enjoy. Once you set the intention to do it and carry through with it, you will feel good and want to keep going. Just my 2 cents! Feel better :)

48 Sarah August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I rarely comment, but had to jump in here. Low iron levels are definitely a factor when it comes to fatigue, but a less known fact is that iron levels that are too high can cause some of the same symptoms (and can be just as dangerous). Probably a good idea to get some blood work run again … but I might hold off on increasing your iron intake until you know where it stands. You don’t want to keep increasing your iron levels if they are already high.
Just my two cents.
I struggle with iron deficiency, so I am just the opposite – my iron levels are never high enough :)
Hang in there!

49 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Yes, I’ll have my iron levels rechecked too. Basically the last time I went my doctor told me I’m high, but not crazy high. My sister and Dad have the same higher-end iron levels. I didn’t know that high iron levels could cause the same symptoms, I’ll have to re-research that. My doctor didn’t seem too concerned at the time, but that’s just one doctor’s opinion.

50 Brooke August 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm

My mum has got the haemochromotosis that someone else mentioned, its the most common genetic disorder and its likely that I am a carrier. As it’s a DNA test to be diagnosed, it is really really expensive but universal healthcare in Australia does the test for free for the children of people who have been diagnosed with it. I am getting my test done soon. However mostly the effects in women are not apparent until menopause.

While I’m responding, I will put in my two cents worth about your diet too. First I’d like to say that I LOVE seeing what you eat, I really love your blog. I think it’s inspiring.

However, I agree with others – your diet consists of a lot of carbs and processed foods. I know that a lot of these processed foods are designed for health purposes, but they are just replicating the effect that REAL foods can give us. A while back I looked at my diet and realised there was so much processed crap in it, so I cut right back and promised that I wouldn’t eat so much processed stuff. I cut out protein bars, granola bars, packaged meals and breakfast cereals – even if they are so-called ‘health’ products – often in Australia the health products and low-fat products may be high in protein (for example) but they are choc full or sugar.

I now eat yoghurt, rolled oats (not quick oats), the occasional grainy cracker, and very grainy breads, make all my pasta and stir fry sauces from scratch… basically I took the packages out of my diet.

I realise that you do a lot of exercise and carbs are good for rebuilding the energy stores, but perhaps you can take a break from some carbs, see how your energy levels are in relation to your training schedule, and reintroduce them for the peak times that you really need them.

Good luck and I hope your energy returns with vigour very soon!

51 Sarah August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Vitamin D deficiency left me exhausted for a few months, so it’s worth having your levels checked. Also any thyroid abnormality can make you tired…after having cancer I’ve been both hyper and hypo and the only way I can tell the difference is my emotional state (more crying when hypo), there can be exhaustion components for both.

52 Katy (The Singing Runner) August 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’m only speaking from personal experience here, but I had almost the same issue about 6-ish months ago (along with unexplainable weight gain). I also have a history of hypo and hyper thyroidism in my family so I had blood work done for that in addition a couple of different iron tests.

I came back negative for a thyroid problem, but my ferritin levels were low so I have to take a daily supplement. In addition (and perhaps the bigger problem) was that I was EXTREMELY underestimating the amount of calories I was consuming. When I increased my calorie intake (but not with junk foods) along with the iron supplement, my energy level increased and I was able to get through the more difficult workouts. It’s still not perfect, since I also suffer from chronic insomnia, but it’s better.

Maybe it would be helpful to track your calories for a few days to see how many you are taking in and what your net calorie level is after exercise? I don’t know…just a suggestion! Hope you figure out an answer soon! :)

53 Cait's Plate August 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I go through phases like this too and it’s so frustrating. I’ll be curious to see what you end up finding out!

54 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Meghann – I was experiencing this recently and decided to start taking an iron supplement. I don’t know if it’s the placebo effect or what, but I think it’s helped me!

55 clare @ fittingitallin August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I’m sure someone’s told you this, but check your iron levels! You may be anemic – I noticed I was EXHAUSTED a few weeks ago and have upped my meat intake.

56 Sandy W. August 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I am sure you have received a ton of info to chew on…but here is another research opportunity…eating for your blood type. http://www.dietpromises.com/blood-type-diet (just an example of the many sites that provide similar info)
I’ve been dealing with the exact same issues, taking vitamins, etc. and I’m still struggling…I just started modifying my diet to foods more in line with my blood type so…here’s hoping.

57 lynne @lgsmash August 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

You do have a lot going on, even if it may only be 2 big ‘projects’ (HLS, wedding). Those + working out + blogging 3x a day + social life + time for yourself = a whole lot! I have bouts of feeling the same way – where all I want to do after work is sleep. So I do – I let myself take a short nap and usually feel better for the rest of the night. I’d definitely talk with your primary doc, though, and see if they can’t help you narrow down a cause.

Also – I concur with the Vitamin D checking. A friend was recently diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency because she had similar symptoms . She’s taking a supplement now and feeling a lot better! Even people who live in Denver with 300+ days of sunshine can suffer from Vitamin D deficency! :) Good luck!

58 Natalie August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m really interested to see what works for you if you decide to make any changes. I literally have the exact same issues as you and am totally stumped as to what it could be!
Keep us posted will ya? And I hope you feel better too :).

59 Katie August 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I have a feeling your exhaustion probably has something to do with not eating enough. Your intake is incredibly low considering all the physical activity you do on a daily basis.

“Having all my energy zapped out of me, has zapped out a lot of my motivation as well. I’m no longer quite as motivated to cook, train hard, blog, or even make the best eating choices.” This sounds so much like what happens to me when I fail to eat as much as I’m supposed to.

I really would recommend upping your daily calories! If you’re not willing to do that, at least make an effort to add more high quality protein to your diet. Your intake is pretty carb-heavy, and I think you’ll feel a lot better physically if you cut back a bit on the carbohydrates and focus on getting in more protein and fat. Just my two-cents!

Maybe you should also consider scheduling an appointment with a dietitian? I know it has made a huge difference for me in terms of my relationship with food. Good luck!

60 Bojana August 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hi! I am a long time reader and I read your blog daily, just never commented before. But as I read your post today, it reminded me how I felt in the winter months – low energy and quite frustrated, since winters are pretty long and dark where I come from. I heard really great things about Maca Root and I decided to try it, and, well, maybe it was part psychological in effect, but I really think it helped a lot. It just gives you more power.
Anyway, maybe this can be helpfull :) I am rooting for your energy to come back and as someone else wrote, a nice relaxing vacation is never a bad idea :) Good luck!!

61 Kelly August 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I think the others have given you interesting things to look into. If it’s not something physical, is there a chance something emotional could be going on? I know sometimes when I’m feeling stressed out or something else emotionally going on it can wear on me.

62 Ashley August 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

When I’m so tired a MASSIVE orange always gives me energy. Random but it works for me. Also if I have one glass of wine the night before I’m so tired the next day. Hope you feel better. I can relate I go through spells like that as well. Usually for me it’s related to stress.

63 Alex August 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hiiii
I’m a stalker-reader (hardly ever comment), but I notice that my energy levels get zapped when I eat too much bread – I have to follow a low FODMAP diet for my tum tum issues, and one thing I noticed during elimination was that when I eat bread, I get really tired and cranky, and just generally have no energy – and I ger brain fog in the afternoon at work. Not saying you should cut out wheat – but that’s what causes it for me!

64 Jennifer L August 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm

A few years ago the same thing happened to me.. When I nodded off while READING ALOUD to some children I went to the doctor.. Turns out I had mono.. Other than the fatigue I had felt perfectly normal. I would talk with a doc if I were you, because a change like that is not normal. Also I’d check your iron again, because it can change pretty quickly (I went from normal to “severely difficient” in 4 months last year and the fatigue was a sure sign!).

With your kind of tiredness I really think you should check with a doc, but as for energy fixes… I find a kale salad massaged with lemon, olive oil, and honey gives me a lot of energy.

Good luck to you! I know how hard simple daily activity can be when you feel tired all the time!

65 Kelly August 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I think you are burnt out! Planning a wedding takes alot of time and energy – personally I would just cut back on your workouts for a little bit and listen to your body! Rest up for a week or even 2!

66 Erin @ erinberries August 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’ve actually been having the same issue lately. I’ve been so tired. I even slept in past noon BOTH days this weekend. I never do that! I called my doctor to ask them what’s up and am going in for some blood tests in a few weeks. Maybe something is just in the air. Or at least I’m hoping that!

67 Kiera August 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I was suggested to add magnesium to my supplements when I had similar issues

68 Katie August 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Been me for 2 months I’ve all but quit running because I have zero energy to do it :( I miss the driven self but too damn tired to care! I blame the heat!

69 J August 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Could it be a gluten issue? Seems to be the big deal these days.

70 Shellie August 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I lost 76 pounds through hardcore exercise and strict low calorie and began to have hypothyroid symptoms that got worse and then my weight loss stopped. At first, I was just more cold and tired than usual. I was like you, tired and wondering why why why. Let’s just say my symptoms reached nightmare level in 2010. The fatigue was crippling. Found out late 2011 I have Hashimoto’s.. an autoimmune disorder where my immune system attacks my thyroid. I’m much better than I was. I’m working now to naturally attempt to get my immune system back on track. It’s important to find out why you have been so tired. Good luck and hope you get that energy back. I know I want mine back!!!

71 Jenny August 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I know it’s already been said in several of the above comments, but I would suggest more protein (animal protein in particular). I went through a stage when I was eating meat very infrequently and feeling extremely lethargic. Even though I consumed a lot of eggs (which are great!) and protein powders (which have their place), I didn’t really start to feel better until I started regularly eating turkey, chicken and beef.

Hope you can figure it out; all the best.

72 Martha August 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm

You mentioned wanting motivation back- is it maybe depression or boredom? If you feel withdrawn or like you’re not getting excited about things you used to be excited about, it’s possible it may be one of those…

73 kalli August 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

i find that i feel more tired when i am not reporting to a regular job. in fact, when i work (even though i dread it) i feel super energized and try to make the most of all of my extra time. i know that you went from working at a regular 9-5 job to working from home. even though you are busy you are stil not expected to report anywhere by a certain time. could it be that? just thought i would share what i have experienced.

74 Casey August 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I was going to say the same thing. I was so much sleepier when I worked from home! Some people are great at it and can stay super motivated, but I just felt kind of drained in a way I don’t at the office. I don’t know the exact why—but could that be it maybe Meghann? Hope you’re feeling back to yourself again soon!

75 Renee August 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Do you eat a meal before you work out in the mornings? I worked with a sports physician on this, as she told me my body was severely stressed out by trying to exercise on zero fuel. I doubled the amount of food I ate in the morning, eating breakfast both before a workout and immediately after. Cortisol went down, and energy levels, leptin and estrogen levels went up. (And if you’re worried about gaining weight, the additional eating actually revved up my metabolism so much, I started losing weight and had to eat more.)
Might be something you could experiment with! Best of luck.

76 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I don’t eat full meals, but I do always eat something before I work out, whether it be a handful of cereal, nuts, or a granola bar.

77 Amanda August 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

With your family history of thyroid problems you should talk to your doctor about getting a referral to an endocrinologist. People with hypothyroidism can have normal thyroid study results but be tired, have dry skin etc etc. (I know a few people that have hashimoto’s thyroiditis.)

78 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward August 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I think it is just something that we all go through! Yourself will come back! I know when I look back I’ve seen that my body was stressed and needed a break or that my mind was and it wore me down… even though at the time I didn’t realize the stress! Take the time that you need… take a whole week to just relax!

79 Liza August 7, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I have issues with being tired all the time as well. After rounds and rounds of tests they finally figured out I have some sort of Lupus-like autoimmune disease that makes me tired all the time. And there’s no treatment for it. Awesome.

I would suggest talking to your DR about your issues. They can test for all kinds of things (Lyme’s disease, Lupus, other autoimmune diseases, etc…). Hope they figure out what’s going on!

80 Brittany August 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I had a similar fatigue issue after a few months of going vegetarian/vegan last year. I don’t think I was getting enough protein. Like you, I do a lot of endurance athletics and triathlons, and found that my body just needed more animal protein sources. I feel a lot better now I’m back to eating meats and dairy!

81 Candice August 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

try taking a B12 vitamin. I felt the same way and as soon as i started taking b12 it got better but I toned down my exercise a little as well.

82 meghan August 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I have a history of thyroid disease but it was actually discovered I have a vitamin d deficency despite living in Florida. I feel so much better when I take my vitamin d.

83 Liz August 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I already responded to comments above about B-12 and Vitamin D – those are big ones. I also would consider anxiety/depression – sometimes it’s lurking and you don’t even realize it. (Speaking from experience).

Also, sometimes it sounds like you sacrifice your sleep for your workouts. Gena at Choosing Raw had a great post this week about how health is about more than just eating and exercising – and definitely includes getting enough sleep!

Finally, my recommendation is to go to your doctor – or try a naturopath or acupuncturist if your doctor doesn’t have any more advice.

I can totally relate to your frustration and I hope you’re able to figure it out soon!

84 Stephanie August 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

The real culprit here…is Maddie.

If any of my pets are snuggled up next to me napping- I believe it releases an intensely intoxicating nap/sleep hormone. I have several times fallen victim to pet napping and now when I see their adorable eyes start to droop I relocate them :)

85 Caitlin August 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I love that you cleared up the pregnancy thing, it was my first thought and as a soon-to-be bride myself, that thought is terrifying!

I don’t think I’ve had Triscuits in years and those look amazing! I think I’d go for the originals, but my Fiance would definitely want the pepper ones. YUM! Hope you get all your energy back soon and get out of this bit of a slump!

86 Holly August 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

To be honest, I think you might be overtraining, under eating, and be exhausted from it. As much as you want to workout, everyone’s body is different. Some athletes can push it to the extreme for hours a day. Others’ bodies are different.
Think about it. I know you love working out and the reputation you think it will get you, but a healthy, well-balanced life is more optimal. Especially if you want to have a life and a family.

87 Brianne August 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I agree. You should try taking a week long break from exercise. Every couple months I start feeling run down and extremely tired. I take a full 7 days off and my energy levels go way back up. Hope you feel better!

88 Cristina August 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’m sure you’ve thought about hydration and making sure you’re drinking enough fluids in the summertime. I have also found that a B vitamin complex supplement has helped to boost my energy in the past. This is particularly helpful for vegetarians, and I know you tend to eat meat-less most of the time.

89 Jess August 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Eat more protein. Whenever I’m really tired for reasons other than my daughter waking me up in the night, it’s when I’m not eating enough protein.

90 Katy @ Adventures in Serendipity August 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I echo Vitamin B12 as well. I was tired for years and asked several docs about it before one finally suggested getting my Vitamin B12 levels checked. My levels were very low and a supplement definitely helps. I agree with other commenters that I notice a difference if I don’t take it for a few days. Some of the best sources of Vitamin B12 are generally not stuff we eat a lot of (beef, seafood) and some of the other sources are good, but in low doses (yogurt, cheese) so that’s why a supplement works for me.

91 heather August 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I felt like you even though my thyroid came back normal but I knew something was wrong. I found a dr who would do a mouth swab thyroid test and found it to be low and j was put on thyroid meds and I feel so much better! Good luck!

92 Laura August 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I think you may be subconsciously more stressed than you think. You have a LOT on your plate, girlfriend! plus, you keep up with a very rigorous workout plan and rarely take off complete days of rest, including on vacation!!! have you thought about only working out 3x a week, and just do nothing those other four days? that might help rejuvenate you! also, i agree with others about lack of nourishment… try more protein shakes.. it’s an easy way to up your calories if you can’t stomach more food. Don’t let yourself get run down right now.. especially during what is supposed to be one of the happiest times in your life :) hang in there… listen to your body, and don’t overtrain :) in the long run, a few rest days will do your body good!!

93 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Looking through the comments it looks like you’re getting a lot of good advice – hopefully you’ll figure it out soon!

I love those triscuits. Have you tried the applewood smoked BBQ variety yet? Pretty sure those ones are my favourite.

94 Jessica @ New Girl, New City August 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I used to feel the same as you all. the. time. Finding out I was anemic and the beginning of take iron supplements, a better diet, and exercise helped, but I still have weeks at a time like that. Hope you figure out what’s going on!

95 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 7, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I definitely get you on the tired thing, but mine is because I’m not sleeping at night. It’s actually super frustrating and my roommate is having the same problem. I fall asleep really quickly at night but I can’t stay asleep and I’m often awake for hours before I need to be, leaving me with about 4 hrs of sleep at most each night. I’m pretty much living on an IV of caffeine and hoping that after I get through the next couple of weeks before my move, I’ll be in the clear.

96 Vic August 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m gonna second Chris Kesser’s website for health advice on any issues. Also thinking you may need to eat more as well. You do a lot of activity. I can’t tell by what you’re eating how many calories you’re getting but between all the exercise I would guess you should at least be in 2000-2500 range for your daily intake. I think you normally schedule rest days but I’m not sure. If you do, good. Just listen to your body. Definitely don’t train when you’re feeling off like this. You should get your D tested even though you get sun, there are other factors, maybe deficiencies, that inhibit your body’s ability to assimilate various nutrients. So don’t just test D, b12 and Get in those good fats, eat some quality proteins, and maybe try experimenting with your diet a bit. Just changing a few things could make a huge difference. http://chriskresser.com/thyroid Good luck and feel better soon! (also travel is stress even though you may not feel “stressed out” you’ve definitely been really busy, your mind needs as much if not more rest than your body sometimes)

97 Angela August 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

You should check for iron deficiency! The suggestions above sound pretty uncommon, but iron deficiency is actually one of the most common causes of fatigue in women. After I started to iron supplements I began to have so much more energy.

98 BroccoliHut August 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Another girl with hypothyroidism here–if the fatigue becomes chronic, I definitely recommend getting your thyroid hormone levels checked. The earlier it’s diagnosed, the better!

99 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself August 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I also have a family history of thyroid problems! I always consider that when I am not feeling so great for long periods of time!

100 Trish August 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I went through the exact same thing. I was exhausted all the time. I remember going away with my boyfriend and all I wanted to do was lie in the hotel bed and sleep.

Now, I am all good. The big thing for me was diet. I thought I was eating super healthy and was spot on, I was sure of it – but I wasn’t. And I know that now because changing my diet is what fixed my proper. I was not getting all the nutrients my body needed – although I thought I was being good about that.

I started eating lots more protein – animals and eggs and greek yogurt and all that stuff . I started eating meat (chicken, fish, and red meat) twice a day, every day. Lots of meat. I also took fish oil, added a b12 supp (think this really helped), and began vitamin d tablets. I don’t know if it was one thing or all of them together, but soon enough I felt like a new woman.

101 Army Amy* August 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Woah! Lots of suggestions! All I have to say is that I hope you find a remedy. Exhaustion is the pits.*

102 Tracy August 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm

My guess is dehydration. As an RD, I check iron levels often. Sometimes I come across a patient with a high iron level. Sometimes the cause is due to dehydration. do you think you are hydrating adequately?

103 Bridget August 8, 2012 at 12:01 am

I think another possibility could be l0w serotonin levels. I battled with that for a long time, before my doctor figured it out. Low serotonin levels cause a chemical depression. When I had low levels, I would sleep 14, 15 hours a day. Nobody could disturb me, no matter how loud they were. I had no motivation to do anything, I’d burst into tears for no reason. It was horrible. Depression is a scary word, but it is a serious condition.

I hope that you’ll feel better soon, and that this is just a little blip of fatigue that can easily be solved. Crossing my fingers for you!

104 cindy August 8, 2012 at 2:01 am

take a week off exercising…also, you are most likely more stressed than you realise.

105 Running Betty August 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

I’m with Cindy. Maybe you just need a week off. Relax for a few more days and you might just ease back into normal.

106 Nina August 8, 2012 at 4:42 am

Having to have a caffeine fix could also be contributing- caffeine responds differently to different people and you could just be drained by the things that stress your body (caffeine, alcohol, sugar).

107 Amanda August 8, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’m curious–How many hours of sleep are you getting a night?

108 janieliz19 August 8, 2012 at 8:06 am

Somebody else mentioned this but you might just be more stressed out than you think – I know I tend to be a person who ignores stress and thought wedding planning & working right after finishing grad school was totally fine, but the wedding was constantly in the back of my mind and I didn’t realize how exhausting it was until after it was over!! So some of it might be that…. Good luck!

109 Jamie in Arkansas August 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Since you are so active (like myself) be sure you’re getting at least your body weight in grams of protein. Example: if you weigh 140, you need 140 grams of protein daily. That’s a lot, so even though you’re eating meat, you’re probably not getting enough unless you’re supplementing with a protein shake. I love Sun Warrior vanilla! Hope that helps.

110 margaret August 8, 2012 at 9:27 am

vitamin D has recently been a big one for me, i work out all the time and am outside alot, but taking the vitamin has helped tremendously

111 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life August 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’ve been feeling the same way recently! Given, I’m also dealing with a lot of stress from wedding planning and being overworked at my job, but I completely feel you. It makes me feel better to know that I’m not the only one who goes through these kinds of things! I hope it gets better for you soon!

112 pb August 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I don’t know anything about swimming, but it seems like you’re running your easy runs wayyyy too fast for your fitness. For reference — my 5k PR is ~6 minutes faster than yours, but I also run 8:30-9:00 pace on easy days and sometimes slower.

113 Meghann August 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Lately my “easy” runs have been me just going out and running. I’m not following any training plans at the moment and am literally doing what my body wants. I don’t hold back, I don’t speed up – I just run. I only call them “easy” because I’m not pushing myself, maybe I should call them steady.

114 pb August 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Maybe try holding back? I remember feeling that way about my runs in college until I started running with a much slower friend during my study abroad program. All of my miles were ridiculously easy and initially awkward but once I got used to it, it felt normal. To my shock I even wound up racing faster than ever the following year and I stuck with that “ridiculously easy” feel for any non-workout runs.

I know there’s a lot of training pace calculators out there. Even if you’re not on a training plan now, it’s still possible to overwork yourself. Good luck.

115 Sara N August 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm

More protein, more calories, fewer carbs. Try it!

116 Elisabeth August 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Someone mentioned that if you’re working out outside in Florida that your Vit D levels should be fine. That absolutely is not a guarantee. Even people who live in sunny places like Florida, Sothern California and Hawaii don’t always get enough Vit D. You have to be out in the sun without sunscreen for at least 20 minutes & that still may not be enough. A Vitamin D level is something that could easily be checked & a lot of doctors are ordering the test as part of routine lab work.

117 Laura August 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Are you going to do a follow up post on what you plan to do to rectify your exhaustion? You seem to just negate any suggestions people are offering you and honestly sound a little defensive. Have you considered cutting back on your excercise? I think that might rejuvenate you :)

118 cindy August 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Agree- quite defensive… Why ask and blog about it then? And now ofcourse the inevitable “I don’t blog everything I eat” post has made an appearance…

119 tamar August 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm

echoing the b12. had the same thing happen to me, couldn’t crawl out of bed…. turned out i was low in b12… started sublingual b12 drops, 180 degree turnaround. then i stopped… and crashed again, and started taking them again and bam, feel like a new person.

120 LizP August 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

To sum it all up:

a) See an endocrinologist or a dr that is willing to run a gamut of tests on you to recheck iron levels, vitamin d, thyroid, etc.

b) Try cutting back on exercise (intensity and frequency) for at least a week to see how you feel.

c) Increase your sleep- are you sleeping 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night?

d) Maybe take a moment to realize although emotionally you seem to be handling the stress very well (kudos to you), planning a wedding and a conference would make most people a little crazy and maybe your body is trying to tell you that you are stressed.

e) Try tracking your calories if you don’t already to see if you are in fact getting enough calories for your activity level. Lots of people have opinions that you aren’t eating enough, but you know the truth about what you really eat and portion size, so track your calories to make sure you are meeting your activity needs.

f) Meet with a nutritionist (bring a food journal of at least a week’s worth of eating and your activity level) and have an expert say whether or not you need more calories, protein, less carbs, etc.

g) Maybe cut back on electronics after a certain time each night? Or meditate 15 minutes before bed or first thing in the morning? How about taking a few more calming yoga classes (not the more intense ones)?

Best of luck and I hope you do a followup post with what you decide to do and what the results are!

121 Orla August 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Sounds like it could be the starting & warning signs for Haemachromatosis. It’s when your body can’t absorb the extra iron in your blood & the symptoms are almost identical to that of an iron deficiency. The fact your doctor noted it back in Jan would certainly suggest its something you should follow up on. Don’t up your iron intake until you have it confirmed by a doc. Hope you feel better soon. It can’t be nice when you’ve got such a hectic schedule.

122 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’d definitely get your thyroid checked again. I can tell immediately if my medication needs to be changed. Also, I’d look into getting your vitamin B & D checked!

123 Jessica August 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hope all is well. I have been having the same issues. I actually went to the doc today and she sent me to get some blood work. She made a good comment thought that sometimes even though your thyroid levels are in the normal range it might not be normal for your body. So that might be something worth discussing with your doc. I will be interested to hear what you find out.

124 cristin August 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

she edited to add that part about the iron – it was not there originally. no need to insult

125 Angela August 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm

oops! sorry I didn’t see that part about the iron :P