Chicken Burgers

by Meghann on August 7, 2012

Thank you for all the great comments and advice on my post this afternoon. I now have a whole new set of questions to ask my doctor when I see her at the end of the month, and some new items to research via Dr. Google. I’m also going to look into taking a mini-break away from the computer after Healthy Living Summit.

It’s interesting that a few of you mentioned eating more animal protein, because I feel like I’ve been amping up my animal protein intake lately. I do eat a good amount of vegetarian meals, but I would say those only make up about 25% of my diet, the remaining 75% includes chicken, shrimp, turkey, and even some beef and steak. Just in the last 5 days I’ve had pasta with chicken sausage, chicken enchiladas, a turkey sub, steak tacos, salad with shrimp, rotisserie chicken, and tonight I made chicken burgers.

Good chicken burgers too.

In the mix:

• organic ground chicken
  • bread crumbs
  • dried basil
  • dried oregano
  • soy sauce
  • worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper

Formed into patties and grilled on the George Foreman. Served with ketchup, spinach, onions, and mushrooms on a piece of a multigrain baguette.

Side of roasted asparagus.

A delicious meal with some healthy, lean animal protein.

Afternoon snack – mixed nuts.

Dessert – coffee almond ice cream.

Alright, about to crash.

Good night!

1 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut August 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Looks delish! I love it when I read a recipe and have 99% of the ingredients listed. I know what I’ll be making this week! :)
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..The Catskills: My (Fantasy) Home Away From Home

2 Sana August 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Get some rest :)
Sana recently posted..Happy 3rd Birthday {VLOG}

3 Ashley August 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Hi, this is sort of off topic, but I was wondering what exercise videos use use on Netflix.

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 7, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Love a good chicken burger. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Adventures in Apartment Hunting.

5 Brooke August 8, 2012 at 1:25 am

Hi Meaghann, I think it’s funny that you say you’ve amped up your animal protein. I’ll tell you a story. With baby number one, I didn’t know I was pregnant. I got back from holidays (skiing! Jaysus!) and went shopping and came out of the shops with every brand of yoghurt because I just bloody craved the stuff like no-one’s business. i even had two pack of those probiotic things which I’d never bought before.

After a week of devouring yoghurt, I finally started to put two and two together and voila I was pregnant. Apparently calcium is really important for preggo ladies because the baby drains it from their body. So my body was telling me I needed more. Perhaps your amping up in the past five or so days is your body telling you that’s what it needs!

Have a great sleep.

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 8, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hope you’re feeling back to yourself soon!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..BBQ Chicken (on the grill, or in the oven if you run out of propane like we did.).

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 8, 2012 at 7:01 am

Those chicken burgers look great! Best of luck to you finding out what is wrong. I hope you feel better very soon :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Single Digits & Plans For Next Week!…

8 Niki @ Maple Leaf Miles August 8, 2012 at 8:26 am

How do you roast your asparagus? It looks yummy… mine always ends up limp and soggy!

9 Meghann August 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

I just put it on a baking sheet with salt and place it in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes.

10 Cait's Plate August 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

Coffee almond ice cream?? YUM!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pepperoni Garlic Butter Pizza Bread

11 cristin August 8, 2012 at 9:47 am

girl, there is NO WAY your diet is 75% animal proteins. yes, you definitely have kicked it up a notch the past few days, but to say you eat a mostly animal protein diet is laughable.

12 Ashley @ This Is The Place August 8, 2012 at 9:55 am

Ditto to that. All your meals are protein wrapped in carbs. Seriously considering cutting out gluten/grains and see how you feel. Yes the first few days suck, but it gets so much better after that.

13 Blair August 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Also, that’s the tiniest damn burger I’ve ever seen. Even if it was 75% of what you eat, you aren’t eating enough.

14 Meghann August 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

That burger is 1/3 of a pound. The bread was small, yes, but the burger was hanging over the edge.

15 Laura August 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

Those chicken burgers look so good! Might have to try that this week!
Laura recently posted..Phase 1 of the Plan

16 Brittany August 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Meghann – I’d mentioned animal proteins helped me fight fatigue; I don’t keep track of your diet, so this is only what worked for me: when I was on a more vegetarian diet I was eating lots of beans/grains for proteins in evening meals. I later analyzed the amount of protein I was getting from those meals, and it turns out not a whole lot, more carbs & fiber than anything.

I found I had a lot more energy when I eat more carbs in the AM, then less in the evenings. So while I still love vegetarian meals (sweet potatoes w/ cottage cheese, bean burgers on rice, etc.) I try to eat those at lunch. Dinner is eggs, fish or chicken and lots of veggies. I also tend towards gluten free now to cut down on breads, and I think it helped a lot!
Brittany recently posted..HIM Training: Week 8

17 Sara N August 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

carb – protein substitutions http://jillfit.com/2012/01/10/healthy-diet/

18 Sneakers2Sandals August 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm

YUMMY! and pretty pictures too!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Owning the Pool and the Barley. Nuff said.

19 Emily N August 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I think that chicken burger looks awesome! And I gotta agree with a lot of the other commentors, MORE PROTEIN! :) All meals. It is what finally helped me get over a really bad hump energy-wise.
Emily N recently posted..Queasies – or that’s what I call them.

20 chatelaine August 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I commented yesterday about the raw diet and i have to say i haven’t been fatigued in a while and i try to exercise as much as you. everyday i wake up 1 hour before i need to start getting ready for work to do floor exercises for legs and abs. i do yoga twice a week, run twice a week and lift weights twice a week. i’ve started to slowly cut out animal proteins and up my veggies and fruit and reduce cooked carbs and things have been fantastic.

good luck!

21 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I love chicken burgers. They have a really hearty flavored as compared to turkey. Those look great!!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Florida Adventure