Wedding: 5 Months To Go!

by Meghann on August 6, 2012

Here is what 5 months out looks like:

We have…

Stuff currently “in the works”

And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):

• Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
  • Chair rentals (for ceremony)
  • Bridesmaid gifts
  • Groomsmen gifts
  • Gifts for parents
  • Ceremony script
  • Day-of timelines
  • Center pieces
  • Decorations
  • Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
  • Creative seating chart (my sister’s family dog chart was too amazing for words)
  • Guestbook
  • Dessert bar (double as favors)
  • Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
  • Navy shoes
  • Marriage license (this is a month out task)
  • Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here

I’m getting nervous. I’ve spoken with other brides who are 5 months out and they’ve told me how they have a room full of wedding stuff and have no idea where to put it all. A full room, huh? I have a lonely shelf, that’s it. Am I behind or are these brides just crazy?

I’ve given up trying to read wedding blogs or other wedding sites. In fact, I’ve developed an extreme hatred for how difficult it is trying to navigate “The Knot” or “Wedding Wire.” I was looking for a DJ on both, and the only ones that popped up were ones that had obviously paid a lot of money to pull up first. The more I dug, the less impressive the DJs appeared (probably just because they didn’t want to shell out the dough for a high spot) and I began to get frustrated. I’ve learned it’s easier (and faster!) to tweet a simple question (such as when should wedding invitations be mailed out) rather than googling it or checking out TheKnot. The forums are messy to navigate and the answers are buried under ads and a million other wedding related questions. Not fun.

I know most brides mean well when they offer advice to other brides, but I’ve also learned to trust my instincts and remember this is our wedding, not anyone else’s. If we want a garter toss, then we are going to have a garter toss. I know it’s something that’s not for everyone, but it’s one of those cheesy things we are both looking forward to. No one is going to make us feel bad for the wedding choices we make, simply because I won’t let them. I know my friends and family better than anyone else out there, and I know where to draw the line and where to let the good times roll. And, trust me, with my family there really isn’t a line. We’re a crazy, happy bunch.

The further into wedding planning I become, the more I love my future husband. Derek takes all his wedding tasks very seriously and wants to make sure everything is perfect. He also has a great sense of humor and has his own ideas on how to make people laugh on our day. I’m all for it. I think one of the reasons our relationship works is that we both have pretty laid back personalities and we are both open to anything. We want our wedding to be fun – plain and simple.

Any new planning advice to share this month?

1 Kat @ Sneakers & Fingerpaints August 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

My only advise: if people offer to help (and you’re ok with it) take it! I needed so many little things done before we flew out for our wedding and if friends didn’t help with some little odds and ends I would have missed a lot!

2 Erin @ erinberries August 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Wow, you have a lot done already! :) I always keep an excel spreadsheet of everything with their prices when planning a big event. That way I can track it and make sure I’m still within budget.
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Week of August 6 Meal Plan

3 Carolyn August 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Have you gotten on the Nest message board? I had great success with chatting all things wedding with ladies during my planning process. I’m not sure what message board you would use for where you are having your wedding, but definitely reach out if you haven’t.

You have plenty of time. :)

4 Angela August 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Wow! I’m getting married in six weeks and you have a ton more done than I do. I think you’re doing a great job!

5 lynne @lgsmash August 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My wedding is at the end of the month and I agree – kudos to you Meghann!

Also – like you said about Twitter, I’ve found better success asking friends and family for vendor recs than looking at The Knot. The Knot stresses me out (and I hate that it tells me how many days left!) so I stopped using it shortly after logging on.

Good luck with the rest of your planning!
lynne @lgsmash recently posted..Ghost Stories from Apartment 706

6 Corrie @ Blurb Column August 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

My advice, which I (hope) am sure you have heard before is to remember that it isn’t all about the “wedding” but about the marriage that comes after. I got married 15 years ago this september. Hubby and I were talking about it just this weekend (the wedding) and honestly, all the “stuff” you think you need for your “dream” wedding…it just isn’t important 5, 10, 15, 30 years later. Sure, it might be nice and fun to have that big, perfect wedding, but just remember a “room full of wedding stuff” isn’t what it is all about. You have a home full of love and that is the important bit.
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..What To DO With It All?

7 Miranda @ Biting Life August 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I love your thoughts at the end of this post. It’s so important to remember that this is your guys’ day to celebrate with your families, and that’s really the only thing that matters.

Sounds like you have lots of stuff done! I’m pretty sure those other brides are crazy ;)
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Rhode Island Has Farmers Markets?

8 Sarah @ The Strength of Faith August 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Aww, I wish I lived closer – I would love to be your officiant. I love doing weddings. :) Have you thought about having someone close to you get “ordained” on the internet for the day? Some of my favorite weddings have been the ones of people I am close with. The ceremonies are always so much more personal.
Sarah @ The Strength of Faith recently posted..When Answered Prayers Don’t Fall From The Sky

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I think taking all advice with a grain of salt is a great way to go about it, I’ve only been to a few weddings but each was done completely differently because that’s what worked for the couple!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BLOG!!! & giveaway

10 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete August 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I laugh everytime I see your list with the officiant being “iffy”. Is it a bad sign when your officiant has “commitment issues”? Hehe.
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..On Being a “Fitness” Blogger While Pregnant

11 Susan August 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Looks like you are on track! Your priorities sound right to me- what matters is your marriage and life ahead!

12 Melissa August 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Talk to friends or to your venue. We found our DJ off of our venue’s recommended list and found out he’d been referred by our venue for 19 years!
Melissa recently posted..More Gymnastics

13 Jessica August 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Here is a DJ (Jesus Marin) that I highly recommend. I have heard his work and have known him for years… extremely talented. Find him here: http://www.facebook.com/jesus.marin.184
Jessica recently posted..When nature calls

14 Amanda August 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

It really is YOUR wedding, do what makes you happy. I agree: the knot sucks. In the beginning I asked lots of questions and talked to people at work. The problem is that people start telling you what THEY think you should do and how they think weddings are such a waste of money. I stopped asking people and stopped talking about my wedding plans at work. Too much negativity. They’re not invited anyways! So yeah. Do what makes you happy, if people don’t like it that’s just too bad.

That’s a heck of a to do list!

15 Kim August 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Have you joined http://www.weddingbee.com? I got lots of inspiration for my wedding from it and it’s not as messy as The Knot. It’s pretty addictive though! :]

16 Aneta August 8, 2012 at 8:25 am

I think Wedding Bee is the best wedding website. much better than The Knot or any others! try it out!

17 Melanie August 7, 2012 at 8:43 am

Are you doing welcome bags for guests in the hotel(s)? We put those together about a week out and got most of the stuff at costco.

18 Chickie August 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

Looks great! Just a grammar correction, it’s “the same person WHO did the hair” not “the same person THAT did the hair.” I would look up this concept that will take your understanding of writing to another level!

19 Sarah August 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I agree with the previous posters – the wedding is really about life after that one day.

I got super frustrated when I was planning my wedding – there were all these extra things I saw other brides doing on the “The Knot” and I wasn’t doing any of them. Some of the extras cost a lot of money and do people even remember them later on? We got engaged in February and married in October. I did that on purpose because we had been together for 5 years and I just wanted to be married! I didn’t want to have a long time to plan because I thought that I would just have an excuse to change my mind a million times.

Don’t ever feel bad for your choices or let anyone make you feel that you’re not doing the right thing. The day is for you and your hubby.

20 Aneta August 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

check out this website for shoes. this is where i found my blue wedding shoes!

21 Lara August 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hey Meghann

I’ve read your blog for a long time now, but have never commented. But your post had me remembering EXACTLY how wedding planning felt – overwhelming sometimes!

As for finding vendors … I almost exclusively went with vendors that were recommended from friends or family or friends of friends and (nearly) everything turned out perfect. Even if I found someone I liked and they weren’t recommended via a friend, I asked for feedback/reviews on Facebook since it seemed like EVERYONE I knew was getting married, someone was bound to know something about a potential vendor.

I agree with past posters … stay off the Knot. I also was not a big fan and yes, a lot of vendors pay a lot of money to be on there. Some are wonderful and some … not so much.

Lastly, I noticed you said you were looking online at invitations. Not saying this just to plug my shop, but I sell invitations on Etsy (on the side, I have a full time day job) if you want to take look. Not sure if they are what you are looking for or not … if not, there are so many other great sellers on Etsy that I would highly recommend that route.

Good luck and remember to HAVE FUN!
Lara
Lara recently posted..Alyssa Printable Wedding Invitation Suite by moderninkstudio

22 Kristi August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been meaning to ask if you have heard the song “January Wedding” by the Avett Brothers. I know that music preference is a really personal thing, but it seems a little bit country/rustic – it might go along with your vision for wedding.

23 Meghann August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I had not! Thanks for sending that link – LOVE it! :)

24 Madeline August 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I got married exactly one month ago today (crazy!) and I think my biggest piece of advice is to not compare yourself and your plans to anyone elses. We planned our wedding in 6 months and it was perfect. I loved every moment and wouldn’t have done anything differently. During our planning I would panic when I’d read posts on wedding websites about the hours and hours other brides would spend DIYing every little detail or spending extra money on extras every wedding “must” have. What REALLY matters is that you and Derek have the wedding you guys want and what best reflects you as a couple!
Madeline recently posted..the story of the dress