Here is what 5 months out looks like:
- The venue
- A caterer
- My dress
- My veil
- My “Somethings”
- A flower girl (our niece)
- The guest list
- A Wedding Website (here’s a tour of it!)
- Engagement photos
- The photographer
- Wedding registries
- Officiant (still iffy here.)
- Hotel room block
- The cake cutter (owe a post on this)
- A cake plan
- A DIY flower plan
- Brother Jack
- First dance song
- Mother/Son song (keeping it a secret until the big day!)
- Hair person (same one that did my sister’s wedding)
- Make-up person (same one that did my sister and SIL’s wedding)
Stuff currently “in the works”
- DJ <— spoke to two, still looking.
- Videographer <– emailed a friend-of-a-friend, but haven’t heard back
- Bridesmaid dresses/ cowgirl boots <— Sample dress is in NYC, should have it this week or next
- Suits for groom/ groomsmen <– we know what we want, just haven’t officially ordered yet
- Wedding bands <– dropped off an old necklace to be made into a band. Still waiting to hear back.
- Location for rehearsal dinner <— Derek’s parents have some leads on places. Need to follow up.
- To book the honeymoon <— Derek’s job
- Cake Topper <– ordered one from etsy, waiting for it to arrive to share details
- Invitations <– started browsing online
- Flower girl dress <– still not sure what I want, but I am looking
- Something for the flower girl to carry <– my grandpa is working on this
And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):
- Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
- Chair rentals (for ceremony)
- Bridesmaid gifts
- Groomsmen gifts
- Gifts for parents
- Ceremony script
- Day-of timelines
- Center pieces
- Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
- Creative seating chart (my sister’s family dog chart was too amazing for words)
- Dessert bar (double as favors)
- Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
- Navy shoes
- Marriage license (this is a month out task)
- Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown
- Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
- …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here
I’m getting nervous. I’ve spoken with other brides who are 5 months out and they’ve told me how they have a room full of wedding stuff and have no idea where to put it all. A full room, huh? I have a lonely shelf, that’s it. Am I behind or are these brides just crazy?
I’ve given up trying to read wedding blogs or other wedding sites. In fact, I’ve developed an extreme hatred for how difficult it is trying to navigate “The Knot” or “Wedding Wire.” I was looking for a DJ on both, and the only ones that popped up were ones that had obviously paid a lot of money to pull up first. The more I dug, the less impressive the DJs appeared (probably just because they didn’t want to shell out the dough for a high spot) and I began to get frustrated. I’ve learned it’s easier (and faster!) to tweet a simple question (such as when should wedding invitations be mailed out) rather than googling it or checking out TheKnot. The forums are messy to navigate and the answers are buried under ads and a million other wedding related questions. Not fun.
I know most brides mean well when they offer advice to other brides, but I’ve also learned to trust my instincts and remember this is our wedding, not anyone else’s. If we want a garter toss, then we are going to have a garter toss. I know it’s something that’s not for everyone, but it’s one of those cheesy things we are both looking forward to. No one is going to make us feel bad for the wedding choices we make, simply because I won’t let them. I know my friends and family better than anyone else out there, and I know where to draw the line and where to let the good times roll. And, trust me, with my family there really isn’t a line. We’re a crazy, happy bunch.
The further into wedding planning I become, the more I love my future husband. Derek takes all his wedding tasks very seriously and wants to make sure everything is perfect. He also has a great sense of humor and has his own ideas on how to make people laugh on our day. I’m all for it. I think one of the reasons our relationship works is that we both have pretty laid back personalities and we are both open to anything. We want our wedding to be fun – plain and simple.
Any new planning advice to share this month?