more ยป" />

My Favorite Olympic Event

by Meghann on August 5, 2012

Two of my favorite things collided this morning: the marathon and the Olympics.

2012 Olympic Marathon.jpeg

(source)

The race started at 6:00am New York time, but Ashley and I opted out of the “live” version and instead set the DVR to record the race and opted for the when-we-wake-up-at-8:00am version instead. Much better version in my opinion. No commercials and more sleep. Win-win.

We watched the race while her husband Bo made us breakfast and I packed up my things.

Eggs and running – you really can’t beat that combo.

The race was intense right from the start. Usually in any give marathon you only have a handful of elite runners who make up the front of the pack, then a few thousand runners who bring up the back. For the Olympics, they’re all elite and they all make up the front of the pack for the first part of the race. All the best marathoners in the world, clumped together in one big group.

Tiki-Gelana-of-Ethiopia-wins-womens-marathon-O620KPVA-x-large.jpeg

(source )

Eventually a distinct group of runners started to make up the front and we continued to cheer on Shalane as she held on strong, even though she had fallen behind. However, the Kenyans, Ethiopian, and Russian branched out and it became a clear fight to the finish. My legs and chest began to burn as I watched them practically sprint the last 2 miles, knowing what pain they must be feeling at that point. You could see it in their stride, you could see it in the way they swung their arms, and you could see it in their face. But you could also see the determination and the unwillingness to give up, and that was inspiring.

front pack of olympic marathon.jpeg

(source)

The final dash to the finish line was the best part. It could have been anyone’s race at that point, which was made clear when Petrova Arkhipova of Russian overtook Kietany of Kenya in the last 400 meters. Just a couple of miles before we were sure she was going to start to pull out, but, no dice, she was in this race until the finish. Amazing.

Ethipian wins olympic marathon.jpeg

(source)

Gelana of Ethiopia ran a strong race and there was never a doubt in those last few miles that she would take gold.

And now I’m inspired to get out there and race again. If watching the marathon taught me anything today, it was a reminder not to give up in those last few miles. That’s when races are won or lost (on a personal basis, not exactly on a I’m-actually-going-to-win-this-and-win-gold basis) and that’s when you really have to give it your all.

Did you watch the marathon this morning? Were you inspired?

I was sad when I discovered the triathlon events didn’t record on my DVR yesterday, but Derek and I did watch the men’s 10,000m finals this evening and, whoa, what a race! I about cried when Farah took gold and Rupp got silver. They both ran an incredible race and deserved each medal.

Farah and Rupp Olympic.jpeg

(source Getty Images)

My flight from NYC back to Tampa went smoothly. I grabbed a sandwich in the airport and ate it on the plane.

It was the bread that sold me on this one. Loved the nutty seeds.

Inside was some sliced chicken, cucumbers, and a spicy sauce. It was all a pretty tasty combo.

I also had a mini bag of animal crackers from the snack basket.

Derek and I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the airport and picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner. We paired the chicken with a frozen bag of fries and a frozen bag of veggies and called it a meal.

Doesn’t get much easier than that.

Ice cream for dessert.

My Olympic obsession with swimming has now moved on to track and field. I’m off to indulge.

Good Night!

1 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I wanted to watch the marathon this morning so bad…but not bad enough to get up at 5 a.m. haha. I knew by the time I got up at 7:40, it would be looooooong over, so I completely missed it. Ah well. I did catch yesterday’s men’s 10K, though, which was crazy!! So much heart. I loved it. (Also, before the race began the not-Bob Costas host said that a 10K was over 6.5 miles…. Haha. Someone forgot to fact check the teleprompter!)

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I wish I could have watched, I’m sure it was amazingly inspiring. I was hoping for a 4-5 mile run today and my body started aching terribly less than 2 miles in and I couldn’t push through it. I can only imagine what those women were feeling.

3 Lindsay August 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Not to be a buzz kill over here, but just a tip about using photos in your posts that aren’t your own or that you don’t have permission to post–just posting a source with the link to the source of the image doesn’t really allow you to post those images on your site. By posting those photos from the marathon on your site, you’re exposing yourself to liability for copyright infringement.

4 Army Amy* August 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I watched the marathon, and I looooooved it. The thing that impressed me the most was seeing some of the women who didn’t place still throwing their arms up and blowing kisses when they finished. They recognized that they gave it their all. My heart ached for Kara, Shalane, and Desiree. You have to have a lot of heart to run a marathon.

And I thought that Jeptoo came in second and the Russian came in third. It was Keitany that she overtook at the end.*

5 Meghann August 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

You’re right. For some reason I had it in my head that she had overtaken Jeptoo as well, but I guess I was making that up. Oops.

6 Army Amy* August 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

No worries. Jeptoo stood out to me because she runs kind of funny. I was in awe of her ability to perform so well!*

7 Meghann August 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

She does! That’s why we thought she was going to fall back, she looked to be the one who was flailing the most out of all of them. She proved us wrong and kicked ass. Just goes to prove that we all run differently and we have to realize what form works for our bodies.

8 Martha August 5, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Lol I think your sandwich had chicken, not turkey- hence the name! Looks delish :)

9 Meghann August 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

You’re right. I even put “sliced” purposely to state that it was chicken and not turkey and turkey must have slipped out. Whoops.

10 Annette @FitnessPerks August 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I am SO sad the swimming is over!! Gahh! I loved it. SO much!

Yay for the awesome runners–I too am obsessed with the Olympics. :)

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm

That early in the morning for me – not happening. I watched a recap this afternoon :-)

I love a good rotisserie chicken dinner!

12 Rebecca @ Viaggiatory August 6, 2012 at 6:19 am

Wow, to everyone who got up that early to watch the marathon – what dedication!

I got to watch the marathon from mile 4/12 of the course and it was seriously one of the best experiences of my life. To see Kara and Shalane in person was absolutely amazing. I was absolutely gutted that they didn’t win, but it was certainly not for lack of trying! And the determination that every woman on that course showed while running in such miserable conditions was truly inspiring!

13 Katie August 6, 2012 at 6:59 am

I watched the end of the marathon while running on a treadmill at my gym! It surprisingly made time fly! By the last mile, there was a row of 3 or 4 people on treadmills actually cheering out loud while watching the race. It was awesome!! Also, it made my 5 mile run seem almost silly in comparison!!

14 Kathy August 6, 2012 at 7:21 am

I watched the marathon….amazing ladies! Simply amazing….

I also watched the men run the race you are talking about….I figured Mo would do well so my kids and I were cheering for Rupp…and he rocked it!! So thrilled for him.

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 6, 2012 at 7:38 am

I watched the 10,000 m but I didn’t get to see the marathon! I’m hoping it will be on replay on nbc’s online streaming!

16 Charlie (therunnerbeans) August 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

I watched the marathon live in London- we got so wet in the pouring rain. Felt so sorry for the athletes! It was amazing though. Inspired me to go on my first run in 2 months this morning. It was not pretty! Loved watching Mo win the 10,000m!

17 Sarah K August 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

I only caught part of the marathon. It’s crazy what these athletes can do and amazing to watch them run.

18 Courtney August 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Oh my goodness, that bread looks amazing! It inspires me to try to re-create it, but Paleo style. Time to get crackin!

19 Dana August 6, 2012 at 10:12 am

I watched the marathon early yesterday morning. I was routing for Gelana. I loved her race day hair. I could tell she was fighting and pushing through her pain. During the race, making it to the end has to be sheer will power. I’ve never watched the marathon in the Olympics, but I really enjoyed it and felt motivated to get moving for sure!

20 Carissa August 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

I missed watching the marathon, but I’ve been keeping up with everything else. I cried when Mo won too. And how about those Jamaicans? Wow!

21 Shauna@Pleasure, not Punishment August 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

My marathon recording CUT OFF during the first 8 mile lap! NOOOOOOO!

22 Emily N August 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

I watched from about 10 miles to the finish live. (Silly dogs woke me up). It was SO EXCITING!