more ยป" />

#BlogHer12 Overload

by Meghann on August 5, 2012

BlogHer ’12 has officially come to an end.

IMG_8622.jpg

And it went out with a bang. ;)

We started yesterday morning with breakfast from Au Bon Pain.

After an awesome spread of breakfast at the conference on Friday, we were a little disappointed with the pure carb fest available Saturday. There was nothing but muffins and bagels. So we walked across the street to grab something quick. I was really craving oatmeal and made a bowl with peanut butter, almond slivers, and chocolate chips. Yes, still carb heavy, but I’ll take hot oatmeal with peanut butter over just a muffin any day. :)

I also bought an orange, but ended up finding some fruit salad on the far end of the breakfast buffet that I had instead.

My first session of the morning was on affiliate marketing.

To be honest, I knew zilch about affiliate marketing going into this session. I learned a lot about affiliate networks (something I didn’t know existed before yesterday), but I’m not sure if it’s a great fit for my blog. It was still interesting to hear what worked for other bloggers and how they arrived at that point.

I stepped into another session after affiliate marketing, but wasn’t over the moon about the content. I checked Twitter and discovered the other sessions going on weren’t winning over the crowd either. I ran into Gina in the hallway and together we headed to the sponsored suites on the 42nd floor. We grabbed some mini cupcakes at one suite, then discovered free 10 minute massages thanks to RosceaFacts.com.

We were fans.

20120804_114848.jpg

Lunch was served promptly at noon.

I had two sandwich slivers, taboule, and a feta and watermelon salad.

A raspberry tart for dessert (+2 cream puffs)

Lunch friends!

Katie Couric was our lunchtime key note. She covered everything from her new show, to being a single mom, to how she uses social media outlets to gather questions for interviews. I loved how honest and real she was, admitting she couldn’t do it all without help and thanking her nanny for helping to raise her daughters. I have a new appreciation for Katie Couric.

P.S. Laying down is so much more comfortable than sitting up. ;)

After Katie spoke, I headed back to the expo to network a little bit.

Soy sauce ice cream = NOT good. But, really, it was ice cream made with soy sauce… what was I expecting?!?!

*shudders*

The So Delicious Almond Mocha Ice Cream bar was much better. :)

I got a mini-makeover (hmm…. not sure the cat eye look is for me)

And ran into Theodoragetting her nails did.(

I had an appointment with the Starbucks demonstration suite because I was curious about their new Verismo machine, which is basically their branded version of the Keurig.

The Verismo uses a pod system, which can produce coffee, espresso, or lattes.

IMG_8605.JPG IMG_8606.JPG

I selected the latte option. First went the milk pod, which was dried 100% dairy milk that was steamed and poured. Then, the espresso pod was inserted and dripped directly into the steamed milk.

IMG_8607.jpg IMG_8609.jpg

I loved the compact sleek look of the Verismo, and how it had the various latte, coffee, and espresso options. The coffee was rich and strong, as was the espresso. The price point for the machine itself wasn’t terrible ($199) compared to other espresso pod machines of similar caliber, but the price point on the cups (I forget the exact number, but a little more than $1 per cup) and the fact that you couldn’t use a reusable type cup with the machine would turn me off. I think this product has room to grow and I’m curious how competitive it stays in the market.

IMG_8610.jpg

The last session I attended at BlogHer, was possibly the best session I’ve ever attended at a blogging conference. It covered a lot of practical advice in regards to working and engaging with brands. There was a lot of takeaway that I’m still mulling over. The whole weekend was actually filled with a lot of great advice that I’m still trying to collect my thoughts on. I plan to write a “What I Learned at BlogHer” post once I’ve had a chance to let it all sink in.

After the last session, Theodora, Ashley, and I felt like we needed some fresh air. We’d been inside all day and needed to get out and stretch our legs. We walked a block or two before finding a quiet table outside and ordering a glass of wine and sparkling water.

IMG_8611.jpg

“We’re on a conference call”

20120804_180503.jpg

Ashley’s super-duper amazing husband joined us for a drink, then was sweet enough to take our bags back to the house.

IMG_8618.jpg

Did i mention how much he rocks?

Also, off-topic side note, maxi dresses rock too. They were definitely the must-wear trend of BlogHer ’12 as everyone was wearing one. Including Theodora and I.

IMG_8620.jpg

I need to wear maxi dresses more often. I was extremely comfortable all day and didn’t have to worry about flashing anyone every time I stood up. Winning.

We headed back to BlogHer for the “Come As You Are” official party.

FOOD!

DRINKS!!

PHOTOBOOTH!

Then headed to the BlogHer Style Show.

Look who I found!

Roni and I have been running in the same blogging circles for years, but this was the first time we’ve ever had the chance to meet face-to-face. It was great to finally say “Hi!” in person.

The fashion show was fun. They brought on a few fashion and style bloggers and paired them with adorable pooches who were also dressed to the nines in stylish gear.

I’m telling you, the dogs stole the show.

IMG_8646.JPG IMG_8653.JPG IMG_8658.JPG IMG_8667.JPG

We left the fashion show ready for dinner and met our friend Michael at a nearby Mexican restaurant.

I started with a fancy cucumber based margarita that was pretty amazing.

We shared chips and guacamole.

IMG_8674.JPG IMG_8675.JPG

And I ordered the streak tacos

Another great day and night filled with amazing friends.

Ashley and I tried watching some of the Olympics, but I’m pretty sure I passed out before the first commercial break. I was done. :)

1 peach August 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Rejecting an NYC bagel in favor of oatmeal? The horror! ;)

2 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

You cannot beat a maxi dress. Pretty much everyone looks good in it in some form or another and they’re ridiculously comfortable.

Soy sauce ice cream? Why did someone think that was a good idea? Eww.

3 Coby August 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I’m definitely going to have to experience this conference someday! I’m looking forward to your full recap. :)

4 Kathy August 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

So cool…thanks for all the info.

Your maxi is really cute on you and the side pony rocked. (Just in case you were wondering..ha!)

5 Sana August 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I always wear a maxi dress, but with straps, I am terrified that someone will step on the back of my dress!

6 ash bear August 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I loved your maxi dress and that side braid the whole weekend! Thanks so much for coming and I hope you learned a lot and enjoyed the experience! You’re welcome on our couch anytime!

7 Jessica August 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

You seem like a super sweet girl, but damn, you needed a proofreader. You plan to “right” a post about what you learned? I guess I am just surprised someone who does this for a living is not a bit more aware of correct spelling, grammar, etc. I hope you take this comment as friendly and constructive – it is obvious you love what you do, and taking a little time to proofread your writing would probably take your blog to a new level.

8 Kate August 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I see you fixed the “right”/”write” error, which is great, but I just wanted to also point out an additional error at the end of that same sentence (e.g., “it vs. “in”). Again, just some constructive editing tips, no offense meant.

9 Meghann August 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thank you, Kate. I quickly wrote and published this post right before I boarded my plane, then fixed the “right” error via my phone as soon as I landed. I appreciate the comment.

10 Laura August 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

You’ve officially convinced me to attend BlogHer’13 when it happens! :)

11 Jenna August 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Were you at dos caminos?

12 ash bear August 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Yup! We went to Dos Caminos on 3rd Avenue!

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Good grief, what a busy weekend!! Sounds like you learned a lot and had a great time! I can’t believe you were brave enough to try the soy sauce ice cream! Yuck!

14 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer August 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

This makes me want to sign up for BlogHer next year!! And I agree with everyone else Soy Sauce Ice Cream? Weird!

15 Katie August 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hey Meghann,
Your weekend looks like it was AWESOME! I can’t wait to read your post about everything you learned :)

16 Katie August 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Oh! That reminds me, can I have the link for your SXSW post? I searched for your “What I Learned” recap and couldn’t seem to find it!

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

omg I LOVE Katie Couric! How cool! and it looks like fun, all those great expo booths and sponsor suites sound good to me! Although only carbs for breakfast sounds like a nightmare for anyone who can’t eat gluten! I would have been pretty annoyed!

18 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs August 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Sounds like a great time — fabulous conference in a fabulous city with fabulous people! What more could you ask for? :)

19 Kalee August 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

It looks like a lot of fun!!! The soy sauce ice cream makes me shudder from here. I can’t imagine the smell **gag!!**

20 Kristen August 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Cute dress!

21 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’m sure your head is swimming with so much info. Can’t wait to read your recap of what you learned!

22 BroccoliHut August 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Looks like you’ve had an awesome weekend!!
Au Bon Pain is always my first choice for traveling when I want something quick and healthy. I wish we had them in NC!

23 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Looks like you had a great time! I’ve been following BlogHer on Twitter and it looked like an awesome weekend! I hope to make it to BlogHer someday.

24 Caitlin August 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

What a fun night you guys had! I ended up not attending a single BlogHer party haha, bad blogger, but I was restaurant-hopping in the Meatpacking District. That marg you had looks SOOO cool! Mexican two nights in a row, I will take it indeed. Still lovin that cute maxi you wore. I’m pretty upset I missed the wine at that My Window suite!

25 Army Amy* August 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm

All the stuff I saw you tweeting about blogher sounded really interesting! I’m looking forward to your wrap-up post. I’m also curious to hear if you got any ideas about running a conference since you organize HLS.*

26 Megan @ Megan's Munchies August 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

Looks like so much fun! I am already gearing up with plans to go to BlogHer food next year since it is in driving distance for me

27 Candice August 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

BlogHer looked like so much fun! I am jealous of everyone’s pictures! I think I am going to have to plan to go next year for sure.

28 Emily N August 6, 2012 at 11:26 am

Interesting to hear about affiliate marketing in terms of blogs. I know my company uses it A TON, but I guess I don’t know enough about it to apply it to blogging. I bet that would be interesting.

29 Katie August 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’m with you – I tried that soy sauce ice cream and almost immediately had to throw it away…very strange! Thankfully the Dannon booth was right across the aisle and I was able to grab some yogurt to cleanse my palate!!! ;)