more ยป" />

Why I’m Attending BlogHer ’12

by Meghann on August 2, 2012

I’m currently in the airport waiting to board a plane to New York City.

Why am I going to New York City?

BlogHer ’12!

blogher.jpeg

I should probably preface this by stating this is NOT a sponsored trip. I am not being paid to travel to New York, nor have any of my travel arrangements or conference registration fees been comped. I personally paid for my BlogHer ticket months ago and booked my plane ticket last month using my own credit card.

BlogHer is really something I’ve just always wanted to attend. The first time I heard about the yearly blogging conference was before I even had a blog. It was the summer of 2008 and I was a big fan of KathEats (still am!!). I remember Kath posting about a blogging conference she was attending in San Francisco called BlogHer and it looked like so much fun. Not only did I look forward to reading about the great events she was attending, but I also found reading about the sessions she was attending fascinating as well. It was in one of those session generated posts that I remember hearing about Twitter for the first time (though it was still many months before I caught the Twitter bug myself).

I ended up starting this blog a month later (Meals and Miles started as graduatemeghann.com on September 11, 2008) and a year later Kath and I ended up being two of the founding members of our own blogging conference (Healthy Living Summit).

Summit Group Photo.jpg

I didn’t attend BlogHer that year (or the following year, or the year after that) due to one thing or another. I think in 2009 I still felt like a newbie blogger who wouldn’t fit in with the bigger bloggers (which is complete nonsense by the way – usually these conferences are GREAT for bloggers of all levels, including newbies), 2010 I couldn’t afford the time off work to attend, and in 2011 BlogHer was the same weekend as my sister’s graduation. 2012, however, was going to be my year. I started saving for the trip back in January, and can’t believe it’s finally here.

Screen shot 2012-08-02 at 12.38.30 PM.png

I’m looking forward to spending time with some of my blogging friends (I’m staying with one of my bridesmaids (Ashley) while in town), but I’m also really looking forward to some of the sessions on the agenda (which, of course, is one of the main reason I’m attending ;) ).

Screen shot 2012-08-02 at 12.41.24 PM.png

*note just took a random screen grab, not necessarily the sessions I’m attending. ;)

This is my first non-niche blogging conference. I’ve been to FoodBuzz and Healthy Living Summit, which are both small conferences with a strong focus on food and healthy living. This conference is HUGE and will span all genres. I’m actually interested in experiencing the bigger conference and getting to know some bloggers outside of my niche. Should be fun.

I’m pumped, and ready to soak in every bit of knowledge that I possible can! Be sure to follow me on twitter (@mealsandmiles) I’ll be live tweeting through much of the conference.

Are you going to BlogHer this year? Have you been in the past? What should I expect?

Derek was kind enough to drop me off at the airport during his lunch break. Which worked great because I didn’t have to catch a cab, but did mean I had a couple of hours to kill before the flight. Thank goodness for free WiFi!

We stopped at Publix on the way to the airport and I got a turkey sub for lunch.

My typical order – wheat bread, spicy mustard, turkey, and every veggie except green peppers.

Better than any of the options my airport has to offer. I learned a long time ago that Tampa International is pretty low on the airport eats.

Perfect timing – looks like my flight it boarding.

See ya in New York!

1 Bess August 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

So excited for you! CFLBlogCon last year was a non-niche blogging conference, but you were a featured speaker so maybe that’s different! :)

2 Meghann August 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm

True, but it was local with an emphasis on Orlando. ;) hehe

3 Bess August 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Ah, duly noted! :) Have fun at Blogher and keep an eye out for Brian of the Central Florida Top 5!

4 Elisabeth August 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

So cool you’re finally getting to attend BlogHer! Can’t wait to hear all about it :)

5 Allison August 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Can’t wait to read about the trip!

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Safe travels! I’d love to attend a blogging conference one day! :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Running Wisdom

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 2, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I’ve heard of BlogHer, that will be interesting going to a conference that’s not healthy living oriented! Can’t wait to hear about it and the sessions you go to!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

8 Lindsay Simone August 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m a BlogHer newbie as well! Literally just got to nyc (staying with the BF’s parentals who live here) and beyond excited for all the blogerrific commotion that’s bound to be the next two days. Hope I get to see you in person!!

9 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama August 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Would love to attend BlogHer one day but HLS will be my first blogging conference!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Picnic in the Park

10 Erin August 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You have no idea how jealous I am that you have Publix! I grew up on the East Coast of FL and have lived out of state for 10 years now. And I still miss Publix subs and bakery! In fact, Publix did our wedding cake LOL Have a great time at BlogHer! I can’t wait to read about it.
Erin recently posted..Ow! My eye!!

11 Kristi August 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm

My friend wrote the post below. Maybe it will help you navigate BlogHer!

12 Page August 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Although I LOVE a Publix sub… if you cannot grab a snack prior to the Tampa airport, there is an awesome new grab and go stand called Ciao with super healthy snacks in the Southwest Terminal. It isn’t cheap, but they had everything from pop chips to kind bars and everything in between.

13 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners August 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Ohhh, as a new blogger, I would love to attend this! I have seen it around on others blogs, so will be very interested to hear your take. One day!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

14 Cait's Plate August 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Jealous! Have so much fun!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Tofu Fried Whole Wheat Couscous [sounds weird, tastes amazing.]

15 Annette @FitnessPerks August 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

YAY! Cool! Enjoy your trip :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Top 6 Ways To Eat More Veggies

16 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’d love to go to blogger conference…my goal is Healthy Living Summit next year!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Sushi No.

17 Army Amy* August 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I love attending teaching workshops for my job. Something about coming together with other passionate people just gets the creative juices flowing. I bet a blog conference is a similar experience but amplified. I hope you have fun!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Brain Dump Wednesday

18 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Have so much fun! I would’ve loved to go, but I can’t afford this year. Maybe next year!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

19 Kath August 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

So sad I’m missing a chance to be there with you! Have a great time :)
Kath recently posted..Postcard From Mom

20 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style August 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I can’t wait to hear all about the BlogHer Conference. I really wanted to go this year, but I couldn’t afford it this year. Hopefully, I can attend next year. Have fun!
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..OOTD: Motivation

21 Hellonheelshon August 2, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hm. This is the first time I have ever heard of BlogHer. As a beginning blogger, I find the whole idea fascinating. I think I will look into attending next year! Thanks for the great idea :)

22 Meredith August 3, 2012 at 12:15 am

I went to BlogHer in San Diego last year and am also here in NYC this year! It can be totally overwhelming at times (almost 5,000 bloggers this year – wow!), but it’s also fun and really interesting. The sessions, expo and networking are great.

23 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 3, 2012 at 7:23 am

Have a great time! I’m going to blogher food 2013. It’s in Austin (TX), which is pretty close to home for me. I hope you’re planning to attend. I would love to meet one of my favorite bloggers! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Would you rather?

24 Katie August 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm

It took me a few years to get myself to BlogHer as well! The previous two years before this one there was always something happening around that time, or the cost would be too steep (getting to CA last year was just too much money). Glad you were able to go! I definitely am still trying to recover from all of the food, walking, and sightseeing I did for 6 days in NYC!
Katie recently posted..Guest Post: A Day in the City for a New Yorker