Oats Salad?

by Meghann on August 1, 2012

I had a plan for lunch today. I had all of yesterday’s pizza topping leftovers (tomatoes, olives, goat cheese – oh my!) that I was hoping could be mixed with some chickpeas and a good grain. Unfortunately I was out of quinoa, rice, and most other “salad” grains.

Plan B? Rolled oats.

555573_10102152651845293_1077394883_n.jpeg

Why not? I’ve made savory oats before, and have found they’re an excellent replacement grain when it comes to things like soup or risotto. Surely they could work here.

I made the oats per usual (1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, chia seeds, salt) and when they were just about done I added chopped cherry tomatoes, olives, chickpeas, and goat cheese.

The oats were served on a bed of arugula and topped with walnuts.

Not bad. Not an exact replica of a grain salad dish, but also not a bad alternative. The dish was creamy and very comforting, the way the goat cheese melted and blended with the oats was what really made it work.

Also, I love the peppery flavor of arugula on the bottom. I really need to buy this green more often.

What’s the most creative thing you’ve made with oats?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life August 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Never would have thought of this combo….interesting!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednedsay.

2 Jessica @ New Girl, New City August 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I want to try savory oats but I’m not sure I can get past the mindset that they’re supposed to be sweet.. looks good though!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..Thoughts

3 Danielle @ Long May You Run August 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’ve thrown oats in a food processor when I find I’m short on flour or bread crumbs. Perfect substitution!
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Garmin partners with GotR

4 Samantha Angela August 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve made oat salad before. It’s not too bad actually. I used this recipe I saw on Top Chef so it was pretty time consuming but otherwise delicious
Samantha Angela recently posted..Travelling to Heraklion Crete

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

that looks great! I love doing savory oats, I’ve done them with all kinds of veggies and beans, I love putting nutritional yeast in the mix too!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–2 Weeks Left of Work!

6 Annette @FitnessPerks August 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’ve never had oats atop a salad! I’ve had ‘em in a smoothie before though! Not bad.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..{Gym} Workout Essentials

7 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

The thought of that salad haunts me like your fried egg on top of pizza haunts me. You should go on Fear Factor because I think you would win. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Workin’ on My Fitness

8 Amy August 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

So creative love it
Amy recently posted..Body Awareness

9 kalli August 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

i don’t used oats for savory….i prefer oat bran and i cook in water add garlic powder and salt and other spices and then at the end mix in nutritonal yeast for cheesiness! YUM!

10 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real August 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I have never made a savory oat dish, my most creative dishes with oats are baked oatmeal, oatmeal muffins or oats in my smoothies. By the way, your pictures of your salad are great! They make me at least want to taste your savory oats, although I would probably prefer this salad with quinoa or barley.
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Stonyfield Food Superheroes: A Giveaway!!!

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That’s a pretty brilliant thing to do with oats!

I’m never creative with my oats, all I really use them for is oatmeal and baking…wow, I’m lame.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Let’s Rehash.

12 Cait's Plate August 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Ha! Interesting! I’ve never gotten super creative with oats…but this makes me think I should!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Spiced Paleo Pumpkin Almond Muffins

13 Christina August 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I might have decreased the liquid if I wanted them to resemble a grain.

14 Army Amy* August 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm

You do love your oats! I’m not a big oat person, so this salad isn’t my cup of tea, but I love how creative you get!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Brain Dump Wednesday

15 Amy August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’m afraid the texture would make me gag! I’d probably just have some bread on the side or something if I wanted a grain. The salad sounded good otherwise though.

16 Becky @ runfundone August 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I would never think to do this! The most creative thing I’ve done with oats is making oatmeal!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..I got five dolla! I got five dolla! I got five dolla, hey, hey, hey hey!

17 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

That’s a great alternative. Our pantry is pretty bare and we desperately need to go to the grocery store, but I’m waiting until after this weekend, since we’ll be working all weekend. I do have some oats in the freezer, so I’m thinking this will be making an appearance for lunch or dinner tomorrow!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Take Me Out To The Ball Game!

18 sally kate August 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm

this makes my granola look REALLY boring…

19 Ginny Dodsworth March 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

I think these oat ideas are great. Thank you. I have high cholesterol and I’ve got to change my diet, and I’ve been told oats are great for getting in down.