more ยป" />

It’s never a good sign…

by Meghann on August 1, 2012

It’s never a good sign when your coach shows up to swim practice with snacks because he guarantees your going to need additional fuel for what he has in store.

20120801_195755.jpg

(I had one of the energy balls. He was right, it was needed.)

It’s never a good sign when your coach asks what time the pool closes because he plans to stretch the limit on time.

20120801_195740.jpg

(we start at 6:30ish, the pool closes at 8:00 – we left at 8:00)

It’s never a good sign when your coach decides to make practice “fun” with fist drills, butterflies, pull drills, and sprints. Mixing them all and not telling you what to expect until right before he yells “go”

20120801_195837.jpg

It’s never a good sign when coach ends practice with 10 x 50s hard @1:00. I laughed when he said that one.

20120801_195839.jpg

(note she’s smiling because that’s her cool down)

Then again, maybe all of that is a good sign. A good sign that we had one hell of a practice tonight.

20120801_200032.jpg

Do you know what I love most about my XP Multisport teammates? We’re all dedicated and extremely hard workers in the pool. Sure we’ll sometimes make faces or give Felipe a hard time when he tells us to do something crazy like 200 pulls non-stop when you’re already exhausted, but we do it. There’s no arguing and no whining – just swimming.

Tonight was a great swim. I look forward to many more just like that. :)

Before practice I had a piece of toast with almond butter and fresh strawberries.

After I left practice, I noticed two texts from Derek – one asking where I was, the other asking if he could help start dinner. I called him and told him about the shrimp I had left out to defrost while I was at practice. We still had some pesto and leftover pizza toppings in the fridge, that I thought could be transformed into a great pasta dish. I asked if he would start the pasta and the veggies (carrots and onions).

When I walked in the door, the pasta was boiling, and the veggies were soft. I added some cherry tomatoes to that carrots and onion, then added the shrimp. Once the shrimp turned pink, I spooned on the rest of the pesto and dumped in the arugula. When everything looked done, I added the veggies and shrimp to the drained pasta with the last of the goat cheese.

It’s a shame it was already dark outside, and my photography skills couldn’t do this dish justice because, man, it was good.

I think it was the pesto. You can’t go wrong with pesto. :)

I had two dark chocolates for dessert.

I am exhausted. I’ll definitely be sleeping good tonight. Time to rest my eyes.

Good Night!

1 Sana August 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I am so amazed by people who can swim esp after watching the Olympics. I need to learn how to!

2 Army Amy* August 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Sounds like a really hard workout. I bet you felt so accomplished afterward!*

3 mary @ minutespermile August 2, 2012 at 5:49 am

working out is so much better when you’ve got a team to do it with! looks like fun.

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 2, 2012 at 7:06 am

That pasta dish looks good. I love pesto sauce :)

5 Morgan August 2, 2012 at 7:48 am

Sounds like a good workout! Did I miss something in that you guys are competing in meets? I was assuming so because of the coaching and “pushing” but don’t remember.

6 Meghann August 2, 2012 at 9:18 am

No meets for us. He’s our swim coach in triathlon training. :)

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 2, 2012 at 9:14 am

That dinner looks delicious! And what a practice!! I love when I feel like I really pushed it!

8 B.o.B. August 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Great swim! So nice to swim with you all. Totally agree on the tough workout. That fist drill was murder! I hope to swim more with you guys. And YUM on the strawberries and almond butter toast. I’m gonna try that!

9 Emily N August 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wow, you guys do some killer swim workouts! Great job!

10 Cait's Plate August 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Congrats on the awesome practice! You are a stronger woman than I!

11 Rachel August 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

That sounds like quite a workout! You did it though! It’s so cool that you have such a supportive team and are really throwing yourself headlong into swimming.
I just joined my local masters swim team to train for triathlons (since after doing 2, I’m totally hooked) and practices have been really, really hard. We’re in the pool for an hour and 20 minutes or so and sometimes I feel like I won’t make it. Getting through the whole practice is such a great feeling, though, and my teammates have been super encouraging.

12 Natasha August 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Sounds like a great workout! Good for you!
Do you swim with a master’s club in Tampa? I am living in Tampa and am looking to join a swim program. How did you go about finding your group?

13 Meghann August 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I swim with XP Multisport. It’s not really a masters program, just a group of triathletes who train together. I met them through friends of friends. I know the local YMCAs have great masters program, but I don’t know much beyond that.

14 Laura @ sweatingforit August 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I love your positive attitude about swim practice getting more intense!