more ยป" />

Wedding: My “Somethings”

by Meghann on July 31, 2012

I think I have all of my “somethings” finally squared away.

Something Old: My mom’s veil

Something New: My dress

IMG_4979.jpg

Something Borrowed: My mom’s sapphire bracelet

Something Blue: My ring

I’m not a fan of all superstitious wedding traditions for “luck,” but I really enjoy the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue one.

I was actually curious where the “somethings” came from, so I looked it up on Wikipedia

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. “Something old” symbolizes continuity with the bride’s family and the past. “Something new” means optimism and hope for the bride’s new life ahead. “Something borrowed” is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, “Marry in blue, lover be true.”

I’m not sure if all are really required for a lucky marriage, but I do love the symbolism behind each of them.

Did you have all of the “somethings” for your wedding?

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I ended up having all of my somethings without even trying to. I didn’t put an emphasis on it, but ended up with all the pieces in the end. Just shows that it takes a lot of help to put on a wedding :) Doesn’t help that blue is my favorite color ;)
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The 2012 Top Gun Triathlon

2 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife July 31, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I had all of my somethings, but my “borrowed” was really close to my heart. It was my Grandmother’s pin that is comprised of her wedding band, my grandfather’s wedding band, and a diamond from one of his tie tacks. She wears it everyday, so it was a big deal to borrow it for a few hours.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..An Announcement!

3 Amber July 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Aw fun! For me it was:

Something new – necklace (and my dress/hairpiece I suppose!)
Something old – my mom’s diamond earrings
Something borrowed – diamond earrings again!
Something blue – my garter!
Amber recently posted..Wedding Recap: Rehearsal + Getting Ready

4 pluvk July 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I did! I carried my grandmother’s wedding book (something old), sexy silver shoes (something new), my mom’s earrings (something borrowed), and my great-grandmother’s handkerchief (something blue).

I also wanted to represent my two grandmothers, one of whom passed only months prior, so I wore my paternal grandmother’s pearl necklace and recreated my maternal grandmother’s bouquet. Congrats! Soak up every moment… it goes by very quickly!

5 Tiffany July 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

something old: my pearl earrings were a christmas gift from my husband the second year we were dating
something new: my dress
something borrowed: I wore my mom’s pearl necklace that my dad gave to her as a gift on their wedding day!
something blue: my shoes, blue heels :-)

6 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife July 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

i will have to keep this post in mind before I get married! (:

7 Miranda @ Biting Life July 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

This is such a cute post! I always wondering where those “somethings” came from. And I love that bracelet, it’s so beautiful! I can’t wait to someday pick out all of these things for my wedding :)

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m with you on this one: not superstitious but I love the idea of the four “somethings”. I think it just makes little things feel more special!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Insurgent Book Review

9 Erin @ erinberries July 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I can’t imagine getting married in a blue wedding gown. I feel like it would be so loud!
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Banana Haters

10 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’m doing it. I’m not sure what I’m using yet, mainly because one (set) of my items covers 3 categories. I’m not sure if that counts or if I need to do 4 separate items. Open to interpretation, I suppose.

They’re a pair of sapphire & diamond earrings that Kacee’s great grandmother wore all the time. I got them as a present on our last anniversary, along with a brand new necklace that matches them so perfectly I’d have never known they didn’t come together. That’s something old, new, & blue. It would be borrowed, but they were given to me. Soooo… Gotta figure that one out.
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..My cooking: Bacon Buffaloaf.

11 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife July 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm

How fun! I love that you’re wearing so much of your mothers things. It makes it that much more special!
Lauren @ Part Time House Wife recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal Reveal and “What Happened in July?!?”

12 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm

No wedding for me to speak to, but I do love the “something” tradition. I think it’s definitely sentimental to borrow things from different people and it’s just fun! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..When Fear Gets in the Way

13 rae July 31, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Youre supposed to have a ‘lucky six pence in your shoe’ too! I taped mine to the bottom :-)

14 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward August 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I did! My sister sewed on a Crystal from my great grandmas necklace to the V in the front neckline of my dress (old) My dress was also new, I borrow an ivory clutch to keep my things in, and my blue was also a ring that my mom gave years me that had an aquamarine stone in it. My sister also gave me a “sixpence in my shoe” for the day! :)
Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward recently posted..Wednesday Workout: Track Session!

15 Lydia August 3, 2012 at 11:24 am

I wondered if someone would mention the “sixpence in my shoe”! It seems that no one ever does that one anymore but I did!
Lydia recently posted..Vacation Part 2

16 Anna August 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I had one item that served as my “something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.”

My mom let me borrow my Grandmother’s very old Bible for the ceremony. Because it was so old, we had to have a new cover put on it and we added a blue ribbon.

17 Sarah August 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Something old: handkerchief from my baptism in case I started tearing up, which I did

New: dress, shoes

Borrowed: pearl earrings

Blue: Funny story, I got cute Victoria’s Secret lacy blue panties with my bridesmaids on a shopping trip for my something blue. Except they were a little too fancy for me because I realized later that I had worn them backwards the whole day!