Now THAT was a good swim

by Meghann on July 31, 2012

I had my butt handed to me in the pool this morning. I’ve never felt more exhausted leaving the pool than I did after that workout.

It wasn’t our usual workout of timed sets and rests. We focused on drills and spent 45 minutes butterfly kicking with our legs tied together. We weren’t allowed to move our arms at all, just butterfly kicks with legs that didn’t come apart. That was hard. Then we were slowly allowed to start free style strokes (trying to freestyle stoke with butterfly legs was similar to trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time). After we mastered that, we were introduced to the full butterfly stroke (my first time EVER attempting butterfly stroke) for a couple of lengths. We finished our crazy workout with straight pulls and legs that were still bound up and couldn’t move. You had to really pull and work to get across the pool without sinking. I was so tired at the end, that the 100 medium-paced freestyle set that followed was too much to handle. I was done.

The workout probably wouldn’t have been as bad in a 25-yard pool, but the 50-meter distance felt like an eternity to get across. It was also tricky to figure out the breathing situation. Apparently our coach assumed we all had gills, I forgot that was a requirement in swimming. ;)

When we wrapped up our coach warned us there would be “no more Mr. Nice Guy.” From here on out, he was going to work us to the point where, if we’re not doing it right, we’re going to sink. Definitely took note of that today. Oddly enough, I’m looking forward to it. I enjoy being pushed to my limits and truly believe that that’s really the only way to improve. I told him to bring it on – I’m ready for it.

He also told me he would help me with my cycling some (which I desperately need). I showed him the scratches where my bike chain got me on Saturday and he said “Yep, that’s going to leave a mark. Don’t worry – that just means you’re a real cyclists. Scars are cool.” Something only a fellow triathlete would say to another.

I was too exhausted to make anything besides a bowl of cereal when I got home from practice.

In the mix:

• Wheat Chex
  • Kashi Blueberry Clusters
  • Plain Chobani
  • honey peanut butter
  • strawberries
  • raspberries

You know it’s going to be a good day when your arms already feel like jello before it even has a chance to begin. I love morning workouts. :)

P.S. MIssy Franklin ROCKS and so does the Great Britain men’s gymnastics team. That is all. :)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 31, 2012 at 10:35 am

whew! That sounds like a tough workout! It’s making me miss swimming! I need to get some goggles and hit my gym’s pool sometime soon!

2 Krystle July 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

Sounds like a great swim! And Missy Franklin is ammmmazing! Ive been glued to the Olympics and watching all the amazingly talented athletes has inspired me to get out side and move, ride bikes, and swim!

3 Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes July 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

I’m a little obsessed with Missy Franklin. Shes incredible!!

4 Emily July 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the Team GB shout-out! They boys did amazingly well. Am heading to London to catch the Tri and Marathon this weekend – am beyond excited to see such high level athletes compete! Glad you guys in the US are enjoying the viewing!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks July 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ahhh LOVE that. NICE work. Butterfly is SUCH a hard stroke–but I kinda love it because of that. So challenging–yet feels so good to do it!

I agree-LOVE Missy Franklin!

6 Emily N July 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Were you inspired by Missy Franklin in the pool this morning?

7 Kristi July 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That’s a good quote he gave you about your scar-to-be. I have a scar on my knee from when I fell (IN MY DRIVEWAY!) off my bike while experimenting with my clip-ins shortly after they were installed. I like to think the scar meant I was tough – it is good to know your coach shares the same sentiment! :)

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm

That’s an intense swimming workout! If I tried that, I probably would have drowned about 6 times.

9 Cait's Plate July 31, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I was so happy for Missy Franklin! What a cool experience that must be as a 17 year old.

10 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 31, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I can’t even imagine a swim workout like that–I struggle just to swim laps freestyle! I’m taking note of all of your swim workouts, and hopefully this winter I’ll hit the pool and prep myself for a triathlon next summer!

11 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Isn’t Missy Franklin just the coolest? I want to be best friends with her.

12 kim@hungryhealthygirl July 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I LOVE morning workouts too! Love when my arms are too weak to even cut up veggies for lunch. ;)

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I HATED racing butterfly, but LOVED it when we were tapering for the season and our coach had us do sprints – although, I’m not sure I would have said the same thing earlier in the season when we had to do 20 x25′s butterfly sprints on the :30, getting OUT of the pool and diving in each time. Yikes.

14 Coco August 1, 2012 at 6:18 am

That sounds like a rough swim! I’ll be surprised it you can lift your arms in the morning :)